Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2016, 23:15   #7021
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
This is a question on the Tolls on this stretch. I havent really driven post the demonetization drive(tolls were relaxed till december) . Planning to drive this weekend via Shiradi and return via kudremukh-sringeri route.

So i want to know if they accept e-payment such as paytm or other wallets or i need to arrange for cash ? If any specific e-payment mode works, please let me know so that i can avoid surprises
Last sunday I drove via Magadi upto Hassan and back. Out of the 3 toll plazas that i passed, i noticed Mobikwik boards on a couple of them and Paytm as well as Mobikwik on one of them.
Not sure if they worked fine .. as i was using cash only.
scanD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 09:58   #7022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanD View Post
Last sunday I drove via Magadi upto Hassan and back. Out of the 3 toll plazas that i passed, i noticed Mobikwik boards on a couple of them and Paytm as well as Mobikwik on one of them.
Not sure if they worked fine .. as i was using cash only.

Hope it works then.
Old 21st December 2016, 14:33   #7023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
This is a question on the Tolls on this stretch. I havent really driven post the demonetization drive(tolls were relaxed till december) . Planning to drive this weekend via Shiradi and return via kudremukh-sringeri route.

So i want to know if they accept e-payment such as paytm or other wallets or i need to arrange for cash ? If any specific e-payment mode works, please let me know so that i can avoid surprises
They accept credit/debit cards too..

Last edited by _chikku : 21st December 2016 at 14:34.
Old 22nd December 2016, 09:27   #7024
Distinguished - BHPian

It's Official: Shiradi Ghat to be closed from January 3

Quote:
The Shiradi Ghat stretch along the Bengaluru-Mangaluru highway will be closed for vehicular traffic for four months from January 3 to facilitate completion of road concreting work.

A 12.5-km stretch in Sakleshpur taluk will be closed for traffic to complete the concrete road, according to officials of National Highways division of the state Public Works Department (PWD).

This will be the phase-II of the Shiradi Ghat reconstruction work taken up to build 26 km of concrete road along the Shiradi Ghat stretch on National Highway 75 that connects coastal Karnataka with the hinterland, including Bengaluru.

The phase-I of the package covering 13 km was completed in August last. The second phase of the package is being taken up now at a cost of Rs 90.27 crore.

The second phase of work comprises construction of a concrete road between Kempuhole bridge and Addahole bridge and asphalting 21 km of road between Gulagale and Heggadde in Sakaleshpur taluk. Project contractor - GVR Infra Projects Ltd - has been set a deadline of April 15 to complete the work so that the stretch is open to vehicular traffic before the onset of the monsoon.

Work on 73 small bridges is already under way. The contractor has procured 60% of the raw materials including sand, cement and gravel required for the road works, the officials said.

As many as seven alternative routes have been identified to facilitate vehicular movement between Bengaluru and Mangaluru once the Shiradi Ghat stretch is closed, the officials added.
Source: Deccan Herald

Last edited by paragsachania : 22nd December 2016 at 09:35.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 16:08   #7025
BHPian

Hi,
I would be travelling to Dharmasthala and Mangalore next week. The plan is as follows:
29th Morning: Leave Bangalore around 6 am and reach Dharmasthala by afternoon, stay overnight.
30th Morning: Leave Dharmasthala around 10 am and reach Mangalore, stay overnight.
31st Morning: Leave Mangalore around 10 am and reach Bangalore by evening.

Now, I need some help with regard to this trip:
1. Breakfast options on 29th morning AND the route that I should be taking. Would prefer Charmadi Ghat based on feedbacks on Shiradi, but which would be the best (good roads) route to reach Charmadi?
2. Dharmasthala-Mangalore route options. Beach is the only agenda in Mangalore as of now, so which is the best/safe beach in Mangalore for kids to play? Also, any must-see (kids friendly) places in Mangalore? Plus, good vegetarian lunch/dinner/breakfast options in Mangalore.
3. Return route from Mangalore to Bangalore that I should be taking + lunch options on the way.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Old 23rd December 2016, 16:44   #7026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sada View Post

Now, I need some help with regard to this trip:
1. Breakfast options on 29th morning AND the route that I should be taking. Would prefer Charmadi Ghat based on feedbacks on Shiradi, but which would be the best (good roads) route to reach Charmadi?
2. Dharmasthala-Mangalore route options. Beach is the only agenda in Mangalore as of now, so which is the best/safe beach in Mangalore for kids to play? Also, any must-see (kids friendly) places in Mangalore? Plus, good vegetarian lunch/dinner/breakfast options in Mangalore.
3. Return route from Mangalore to Bangalore that I should be taking + lunch options on the way.
1. Breakfast: you can try Hotel Mayura or Swathi delicacy.Both are very good in terms of taste and service. Route: Bangalore-Hassan-Belur-Mudigere(Take left)-Charmadi-Ujire-Dharmasthala. Good roads all the way till Belur. Later, the tarmac becomes rough but still good.
2. Dharamsthala-Ujire-Belthangadi-Bantwal-Mangalore or Dharamsthala-Ujire-Belthangadi-Uppinangadi-Mangalore . I prefer first one. Try Pilikula Nisarga Dhama,Mangalore good for family outing.
3. If charmadi is the option for you, then same route on way back Mangalore-Bantwal-Ujire-Mudigere-Belur-Hassan-Bangalore. Apart from above two restaurants you can try A2B on Hassan-Bangalore road. Not many options after Bantwal till Hassan.
Old 24th December 2016, 08:49   #7027
Senior - BHPian

Just reached Bangalore from Manipal by bus.

A "damar" truck had toppled at around 1 am on the ghat section and the road was blocked. Must be around 4-5 km from Subramanya junction. Our bus turned around and took the Subramanya route to connect back at Gundya. Reached indiranagar at 8.
Old 24th December 2016, 09:30   #7028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidRavi View Post
1. Breakfast: you can try Hotel Mayura or Swathi delicacy.Both are very good in terms of taste and service. Route: Bangalore-Hassan-Belur-Mudigere(Take left)-Charmadi-Ujire-Dharmasthala. Good roads all the way till Belur. Later, the tarmac becomes rough but still good.
2. Dharamsthala-Ujire-Belthangadi-Bantwal-Mangalore or Dharamsthala-Ujire-Belthangadi-Uppinangadi-Mangalore . I prefer first one. Try Pilikula Nisarga Dhama,Mangalore good for family outing.
3. If charmadi is the option for you, then same route on way back Mangalore-Bantwal-Ujire-Mudigere-Belur-Hassan-Bangalore. Apart from above two restaurants you can try A2B on Hassan-Bangalore road. Not many options after Bantwal till Hassan.
Thank you, Ravi There was mention about Hassan-Sakaleshpur-Mudigere-Charmadi route in a post here. What are the advantages/disadvantages of taking this route?
Old 24th December 2016, 10:03   #7029
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sada View Post
Thank you, Ravi There was mention about Hassan-Sakaleshpur-Mudigere-Charmadi route in a post here. What are the advantages/disadvantages of taking this route?
You don't have to negotiate numerous speedbreakers between Hassan and Belur. You directly hit Belur Mudigere road way beyond Gonibeedu by when the small that section would have been bypassed (on Belur Mudigere Road).

More or less both routes, Via Belur or Sakleshpur will make you reach Mudigere with similar time.

On rush weekends, traffic between Hassan and Sakleshpur will be higher compared to Hassan and Belur. Additionally, Crossing Sakleshpur will take longer time than crossing Belur.

So if you are taking Sakleshpur route, you need to do Hassan Sakleshpur Anemahal Hanbal Jannapura Mudigere.

If you are doing via Belur it's just Hassan Belur Cheeknahalli Jannapura Mudigere.
Old 24th December 2016, 10:36   #7030
Senior - BHPian

Route to Manipal from Bangalore. Via Belur - Mudigere - Charmadi. Or cpatna - madikeri - Mangalore

Which is better for today? Leaving at 11 am

Last edited by samaspire : 24th December 2016 at 10:45.
Old 24th December 2016, 11:11   #7031
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Route to Manipal from Bangalore. Via Belur - Mudigere - Charmadi. Or cpatna - madikeri - Mangalore

Which is better for today? Leaving at 11 am
Via CR Patna - Madikeri - Managalore will obviously be longer - A detour and time consuming.

via Belur - Mudigere - Charmadi or via Belur - Mudigere - Kalasa - Kuduremukha - Karkala.

Between the 2, Charmadi will be faster mainly because it is not continuously twisty like Kalasa - Kuduremukha. Additionally, Charmadi wont have Dharmasthala bound cars as most would stick to Shiradi and you would get traffic only till Kottigehara where tourists will divert towards Kalasa.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2016, 13:32   #7032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Via CR Patna - Madikeri - Managalore will obviously be longer - A detour and time consuming.

via Belur - Mudigere - Charmadi or via Belur - Mudigere - Kalasa - Kuduremukha - Karkala.

Between the 2, Charmadi will be faster mainly because it is not continuously twisty like Kalasa - Kuduremukha. Additionally, Charmadi wont have Dharmasthala bound cars as most would stick to Shiradi and you would get traffic only till Kottigehara where tourists will divert towards Kalasa.

Thank you. How is the road condition via Charmadi ?
Old 24th December 2016, 13:34   #7033
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. How is the road condition via Charmadi ?
I can give you a full video if you want. But overall roads are good. There are very small bad patches but totally OK that way. Flip a few pages back and there is a Video of entire Charmadi Ghat from last month that I had updated.

Overall, if road conditions on Charmadi is your worry, I would say , you need not.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2016, 18:28   #7034
BHPian

Quote:
Just reached Bangalore from Manipal by bus.

A "damar" truck had toppled at around 1 am on the ghat section and the road was blocked. Must be around 4-5 km from Subramanya junction. Our bus turned around and took the Subramanya route to connect back at Gundya. Reached indiranagar at 8.
Had a 1.5 hour wait today at 10:30am. The toppled Tar truck has been cleared. Tar still on the road. It was being cleared.
CLIX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2016, 20:03   #7035
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidRavi View Post
Route: Bangalore-Hassan-Belur-Mudigere(Take left)-Charmadi-Ujire-Dharmasthala. Good roads all the way till Belur. Later, the tarmac becomes rough but still good.
2. Dharamsthala-Ujire-Belthangadi-Bantwal-Mangalore or Dharamsthala-Ujire-Belthangadi-Uppinangadi-Mangalore.
I humbly disagree with this route suggestion. Zero offence intended.
From Ujire why go to Dharmasthala? You can take a right turn to Belthangadi.

No need to go from Belthangadi to uppinangadi. It's a horrible single lane road.

(I assume you are asking him to take left at Madanthyaar. Why?)

If you must go via Belthangadi, please just continue to mangalore on the same road.

It is a state highway, narrow and twisty. Those drivers (all my brethren) are very motivated to meet their maker.

That area is my hangout on my Kudremukh trips. Avoid it if it is your first time to that area. Especially at night.

Just go straight - Blr, Hassan, sakaleshpur, Uppinangadi, BC road and Mlr.

Shiradi (50 km) is perfectly fine.

70% is cemented. That is solid gold.
Of the remaining tarred portion, 20% is in bad shape, yet tolerable.
10% is very bad, especially after the rains. Someone needs to walk behind your car with a bucket to pick up spare parts.

FYI to all Shiradi, is closed for 3 months from Jan 3rd. They say it is for road maintenance. The real reason is to complete the Gundiya project.

I did not read all the comments above. Before Sakleshpur is a place called Ossoor coffee estates. It has an eatout type of place serving decent lunch and dinner. Rest rooms are clean. And you have plenty of parking.

If this is a holiday trip, THEN go via Dharmasthala. You get top quality coconut oil. And best quality Amla hair oil. Women like those. Sadly, it did not help my hair loss!

In Saklespur, ask for the way to the tata coffee estate office. It is right on the highway. You can buy quality tea powder (odd I know; that is mlr) there. Cheap.

Last edited by hangover : 24th December 2016 at 20:13.

Most Viewed