Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2016, 08:26   #6976
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
where exactly do we need to take this deviation towards Anemahal - Hanbal from Sakleshpur?
As Parag says, maps should be able to guide you correctly, it's a T junction on the right that's sometimes missed easily. About another 1km or so ahead you get the Manjarabad fort, so if you've reached that place you would have just missed the turn off.
Old 18th November 2016, 08:48   #6977
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Mind you, in its present state of Shiradi Ghats, I will take Charmadi any day.
Parag, how much (length) of Shiradi is BAD ?
Old 18th November 2016, 09:14   #6978
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Parag, how much (length) of Shiradi is BAD ?
Easily 15+ Kms.

You can refer my update here and as well have a look at the Video by skipping to sections mentioned.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...udupi-463.html
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2016, 09:17   #6979
Distinguished - BHPian

On another note:

Looking for a ride on afternoon of Monday 5-Dec-2016 from Udupi to Bangalore. Is anyone traveling this route ? ( 1 person)
Old 22nd November 2016, 12:33   #6980
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Given that about 15Km of Shiradi is bad, what would be a good route for Udupi in current conditions ?
Shimoga-Tirthahalli-Agumbe-Hebri-Udupi ?
Old 22nd November 2016, 13:42   #6981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Given that about 15Km of Shiradi is bad, what would be a good route for Udupi in current conditions ?
Arsikere - Shimoga isn't in great shape either.

Best would be Belur - Mudigere - Charmadi - Belthangady - Karkala - Manipal - Udupi.
Added_flavor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 13:50   #6982
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
If you are planning this in December, remember that Agumbe will be closed for a month - News on Agumbe Ghat closure in Dec 2016

Apart from that, you can also take the route that Samurai or Ampere take/Suggest via Shimoga - Aiyanur - Ripponpet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Arsikere - Shimoga isn't in great shape either.

Best would be Belur - Mudigere - Charmadi - Belthangady - Karkala - Manipal - Udupi.
+1, this is a preferred option otherwise to avoid Shiradi. Roads mostly remain good. The other option that I normally take is via Kalasa - Kuduremukha - SK Border - Bajagoli - Karkala - Udupi but this route has never ending twisties all the way from Kottigehara till Karkala with no break options except Kalasa.
Old 23rd November 2016, 22:33   #6983
BHPian

16th Nov Koramangala (5.45 pm)>>>Nice Road ECity (6.15pm) >>>Swati Delicacy (8.00-8.30 pm)>>>Hotel Raama Hassan (9.30pm)
17th Morning Hotel Raama (6.00am)>>>Belur>>>Mudigere>>>>Charmaadi>>>>Beltha ngady (8.45am)
Belthangady (3.00pm) >>>Kateel(4.15-4.30pm) >>>Udupi Kediyoor Hotel (5.30pm)
18th Morning Udupi (9.00am)>>>Ambalapadhy>>>Saaligrama>>>Wildwood Spa resort Shiroor(11.30am)

20th Morning Wildwood Spa (11.00 am)>>>Kollur>>>Nagara>>>Ripponpet>>>Shimoga(2.15pm-3.00pm)>>>Badravathi>>>Arasikere>>>Channarayapatna >>>Swati Delicacy (7.00-7.45pm) >>>Nelamangala>>>Nice Road >>>Koramangala (9.30pm)
Old 24th November 2016, 10:14   #6984
BHPian

Hi All,

Any inputs on the fog @ Charmadi in the night?

Plan to start around 6 PM from Bangalore tomorrow. Destination is moodbidri.

Cheers
Rahulb22
Old 24th November 2016, 10:28   #6985
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
Hi All,

Any inputs on the fog @ Charmadi in the night?

Plan to start around 6 PM from Bangalore tomorrow. Destination is moodbidri.

Cheers
Rahulb22
Depends really. With winter setting in, you can expect fog. I only returned via Charmadi last month between 0830 and 0930pm and the last part was foggy(first section for you).

At night it can really get dense too and one cannot say if 2 night are the same here. But till date there haven't been a fog related accident here as the road itself is not that fast and those who take this are quite used to it and regulars.

I would really worry about fog more on Shiradi than Charmadi as certain sections are indeed fast there.
Old 24th November 2016, 10:48   #6986
Distinguished - BHPian

Road condition update as of 13th November 2016

Bangalore - Hassan - Belur: Excellent to Good roads, (too many humps spoil the fun between Hassan and Belur)

Belur to Kottigehara via Jannapur: The road of Belur is being relaid with loads of work going on. Do not confuse that the roads are closed Roads are decent but edges are almost gone. They are laying Optical Fiber cables and have dug up the roads on the side at quite a few places. Mudigere bypass to Kottigehara is good.

Kottigehara - Kalasa - Samse: Kottigehara to Javali is good. Javali to Kelagur is pretty ok and bumpy at quite a few places. Kelagur to Hirebylu is broken at a few places. Hirebylu to Marasanige is good. Marasanige to Kalasa is broken and bumpy, but being fixed on the day I travelled. Kalasa to Samse apart from few pot holes its pretty good.

Kalasa - Horanadu: Road edges dug up at a few places to lay OFC. It is narrow here. But general road conditions are good.

Horanadu - Bajegoli: Brilliant Roads, albeit a couple of rough patches.

Bajegoli - Someshvara: Good roads, route is not through Karkala. Link

Someshvara - Agumbe - Thirthalli -Shimoga: Good roads apart from the concrete portion of the ghats and Thirthalli city where some road work is going on.

Shimoga - Birur: Shimoga to Bhadravati is very good. Average between Bhadaravati (right from bypass road) to Birur with pot holes and broken roads with some good stretches in between.

Birur to Tumkur: Generally good, with humps at a few villages.

Tumkur to Bangalore: Good

PS: I did a round trip on this route just for the drive experience.
nkrishnap is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 14:47   #6987
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The road of Belur is being relaid with loads of work going on. Do not confuse that the roads are closed Roads are decent but edges are almost gone. They are laying Optical Fiber cables and have dug up the roads on the side at quite a few places.
When I was there in Belur last week, work hadn't started for the roads. But regarding OFC, the work extends way beyond Mudigere as I noticed that on my way to Mangalore.

Quote:
Someshvara - Agumbe - Thirthalli -Shimoga: Good roads apart from the concrete portion of the ghats and Thirthalli city where some road work is going on.
Glad you managed to do Agumbe in the nick of time as its up for closure for the whole month of December.

Quote:
PS: I did a round trip on this route just for the drive experience.
we need no serious reasons when the round trip involves really "round roads" to these places.
Old 26th November 2016, 00:40   #6988
BHPian

Took the charmadi route for the 1st time for an overnight trip. Started from B'ghatta road at 11pm. Encountered regular bus traffic till Hassan. Took the deviation towards Belur and the road was all ours till Ujire with an occasional bus or truck. This route can get really creepy at night and you will start feeling lonely. I was forcing my wife to talk this time just for the sake of company and to keep myself occupied.

We stopped for neer dosa at Kottigehara at around 4am. Thanks to Parag. These neer dosa were served hot and god they felt heavenly after a lonely drive. These road side shops are open 24/7 I guess. It was very cold here with a nice breeze. There were a couple of buses parked here for break and were going towards horanadu.

I was expecting fog in the ghat section but was surprised to see the ghat void of any fog with clear skies lit with countless stars. Stopped for a few minutes in the ghat sectoon just to look at the sky and enjoy the view of the stars.

There was medium to heavy fog post Belthangady all the way till Farangipete which I felt was unusual. Reached M'luru at 6:30 am.
fast_elegance is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 09:13   #6989
BHPian

I need to reach Karkala on Saturday by 9am. What time should i start from Whitefield?

I also plan to visit Udupi the same day and stay overnight till Sunday evening and then return. What places can i visit in Udupi on Sunday?

How is Malpe Sea Front Cottages? Any review by members here?

I guess the best route would be Belur - Mudigere - Charmadi - Belthangady - Karkala - Manipal - Udupi as being discussed by fellow members.
Old 28th November 2016, 09:21   #6990
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidzz View Post
I need to reach Karkala on Saturday by 9am. What time should i start from Whitefield?
0300 for sure, so that:

-You cross Belur at 0600

-Mudigere by 0630

-Ujire by 0730

-Guruvanakere by 0745

-Karkala by 0845/0900

Quote:
I guess the best route would be Belur - Mudigere - Charmadi - Belthangady - Karkala - Manipal - Udupi as being discussed by fellow members.
Indeed, given the current state of Shiradi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks