Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2010, 06:28   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Hi, if you are travelling between both town only, then best is by Rail (if using public transport). There are lots of trains running between these places. Buses will take ~3hrs and train will take ~2hrs.

If you are driving or hiring a cab, the only option is NH17.

Thanks
Rajesh
Rajesh is right. I haven't thought about the public transport. There are plenty of pvt. buses to Kannur from the bus stand at Mavoor Road. These buses also go via the same NH 17 route
Regards,
Sarin
Old 26th November 2010, 10:16   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Hi Nairrk,
I need to travel from calicut to Kannur and back this weekend. whats the best route and hows the road conditions there? I am told the distance is about 110kms. Staying at the Taj getaway.
+
Hi
on 22nd this month, I drove to cochin (nedumbassery airport) and back.
The route from kannur to Calicut is through NH17. Its about 96kms.
Kannur, Thalassery,Mahe,Vadakara, Koyilandi, Calicut.
Thalasseri/Mahe -some part of road is very bad especially inside thalassery, otherwise okay..
Old 26th November 2010, 15:16   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
+
Hi
on 22nd this month, I drove to cochin (nedumbassery airport) and back.
The route from kannur to Calicut is through NH17. Its about 96kms.
Kannur, Thalassery,Mahe,Vadakara, Koyilandi, Calicut.
Thalasseri/Mahe -some part of road is very bad especially inside thalassery, otherwise okay..
Thanks, will I take about 2 hours to get to Kannur? and do you know of some reliable car hire service?
Old 26th November 2010, 16:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

If you are leaving early hours, say around 6/7 am, then may be in 2 hours you can reach kannur (earlier the better), otherwise may take another 20/30 minutes (from Mahe to Thalassery, one will find difficult to overtake or go speed more than 40 /60kmph , may be even less.(most part of the road is very narrow).
Regarding car hire service - I do not have any reference, however since you are staying in the hotel, it is better to arrange Taxi through them which will be more convenient ??
may be some one in calicut may be able to guide better on this!!!!
Old 30th November 2010, 15:00   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
If you are leaving early hours, say around 6/7 am, then may be in 2 hours you can reach kannur (earlier the better), otherwise may take another 20/30 minutes (from Mahe to Thalassery, one will find difficult to overtake or go speed more than 40 /60kmph , may be even less.(most part of the road is very narrow).
Regarding car hire service - I do not have any reference, however since you are staying in the hotel, it is better to arrange Taxi through them which will be more convenient ??
may be some one in calicut may be able to guide better on this!!!!
Thanks Nairrk. I travelled on 28th morning at 8am and was at Chirakkal[Kannur] at 10.05am. Roads are very narrow, specially the Mahe Thalasery section, and offcourse the route is FULLY Inhabitated. There are towns and villages right thru. I wouldnt call it a National Highway at all!
Return in the afternoon took us 2.30hours. Please remember it was a Sunday, on normal weekdays with all the shops open I am sure it will take 3 hours one way.
Mr. Kamalnath our Highways minister has a very BIG Task on his hands, if he really wants to fullfil his and the nations dream of 4 lane highways throughout the country. There are bypasses to main towns, but even the bypasses have been occupied by shops and houses, people of Kerala are flourishing! and its only because its 100% literate, and People are Enterprising. What I fail to understand is that everyone, literally everyone is in great hurry on the roads, and are too Rash to my liking or for that matter they are taking too many risks.
I had to tell my Innova driver that I am at the start of a Heart problem to slow him down! The result was that public transport buses were overtaking us crazy, with their special horns[what horns are those if you know, every bus had the same horn, its rule I guess]
Old 1st December 2010, 18:51   #36
Senior - BHPian

Private buses are of a pain here, especially in northern Kerala. They never care anyone, either it is a car or two wheeler or even a bus of similar size. They just think that the highway is of theirs and drive at their own will. They just ovetake and stop in front of you for some one board or alight. They are the one responsible for more accidents lately in this region. What to do, we will have to survive with these kind of people.

Roads are narrow especially Mahe/Thalassery portion which I told you. And those shop guys will not allow the government to wide those roads. Hence no development. Now they have to find alternative bypass route for better roads.
God only know what is going to happen to these roads...!
Old 2nd December 2010, 06:18   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Thanks Nairrk. I travelled on 28th morning at 8am and was at Chirakkal[Kannur] at 10.05am. Roads are very narrow, specially the Mahe Thalasery section, and offcourse the route is FULLY Inhabitated. There are towns and villages right thru. I wouldnt call it a National Highway at all!
Return in the afternoon took us 2.30hours. Please remember it was a Sunday, on normal weekdays with all the shops open I am sure it will take 3 hours one way.
Mr. Kamalnath our Highways minister has a very BIG Task on his hands, if he really wants to fullfil his and the nations dream of 4 lane highways throughout the country. There are bypasses to main towns, but even the bypasses have been occupied by shops and houses, people of Kerala are flourishing! and its only because its 100% literate, and People are Enterprising. What I fail to understand is that everyone, literally everyone is in great hurry on the roads, and are too Rash to my liking or for that matter they are taking too many risks.
I had to tell my Innova driver that I am at the start of a Heart problem to slow him down! The result was that public transport buses were overtaking us crazy, with their special horns[what horns are those if you know, every bus had the same horn, its rule I guess]
Kerala is like this, with no difference between a village and a town or city. As you may probably know this is the most densely populated state in the country. Regarding the effort of Kamalnath, he is already sweating for the expansion of two NHs in the state (NH47 & 17) as there are lot resistance from local people for property acquisition. In fact whole NH is built with 60m width (if i am correct) and NH authorities have already given some concession to Kerala by taking their special status (population). They are going to widen the road only 45m and that too the Kerala government is holding till the next election which will be in next 6 months time. Regarding pvt. buses, they are like that :-)
Old 12th December 2010, 16:52   #38
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kannur to Kanyakumari by Road

For your information, we have just completed our holiday trip to Kanyakumari.
Left our place on 6th Dec 8.45Am and reached Guruvayur at 5 Pm (about 1.5hours break for breakfast and Lunch). Stayed at Guruvayur. Before reaching guruvayur, we visited Kadampuzha Bhagavathy temple.
Left guruvayur next day morning and reached Trichur Vadakkunathan temple at around 8 Am.
Then, Chottanikkara Bhagavathy, Ettumannur Siva Temple, Chakkulathu kavu devi temple and then straight to Kanyakumari. Reached KK at around 11PM (lost about 1 hour in traffic at trivandrum). Heavy rain in Kanyakumari so unable to go to Vivekananda memorial Rock. Left KK around noon for Kovalam via Suchindram Murugan Temple. Reached Kovalam around 4.30Pm - Spent about an hour in the beach and then stayed in a hotel at kovalam junction.
next day morning, went to Padmanabha swamy temple+ Zoo and then proceeded to Cochin. Reached Cochin (vytilla) and stayed there. Next day morning we went for boating (to make the childrens happy) and then proceeded to our place. Reached home at 11pm on 10th December.
Roads in south kerala is better and in north kerala in bad condition. As a result we had to spent more time on the road (means on the vehicle) than anticipated. Total distance - 1456kms.
Thanks for all your assistance for helping me to programme this trip.

Last edited by nairrk : 12th December 2010 at 16:54. Reason: correction
Old 12th December 2010, 19:36   #39
Senior - BHPian

Good to hear that. Timings are as expected, delays in KL traffic. Which hotels did you stay in?
Old 13th December 2010, 09:44   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Good to hear that. Timings are as expected, delays in KL traffic. Which hotels did you stay in?
+
In Guruvayur - Murali Hotels (just in front of the West Nada)- Budget hotel
but No hot water, outdated wiring/plumping etc but nearest to temple. May be A/C rooms will be in better condition but we didnt try as the weather itself was cool.(Rs.2400 for 3 double room, one 4 bed room with 3 extra bed)

In Kanyakumari - Hotel Sankar (On the Highway)-Budget hotel, not bad(better than the Murali hotel in guruvayur) but no restaurent. They will arrange you tea/coffee etc, if needed. (Rs.500 per double room)

In Kovalam - Hotel Manna International (kovalam Junction). Good Rooms
but food is expensive (3 star rate). No morning Tea available. Breakfast/lunch/dinner available against order placed in advance.
(Non A/C double room tariff is Rs.1500 but we got it for Rs.1000.)

In Vytilla (Cochin), just on the NH, Hotel Mesban. Hotel is new but narrow rooms. Okay for one night. There is a restaurent in the ground floor but shade expensive.(Rs.3400 for 2 double room, one single room and one family room).

All above rates were obtained after healthy bargaining

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks