Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2010, 13:06   #1
BHPian

Info needed for the Delhi – Binsar route

Hello,

I was planning a December end trip to Binsar (initially had though of Jaiselmer but somehow, its not materializing). I need your help in regarding road condition in Uttaranchal.

I spoke to KMVN guys in Delhi and they weren’t of much help. The website is down and hence no booking can be done (it is expected to be up in next 2 days). They don’t do manual bookings (only 3 days prior to travel can be done at guest house directly, if they have room)

I have heard that there are 2 routes. Do you have any details about these routes. Which one is better. How are the road conditions after this year's monsoon. I drive a Maruti Zen.

Thanks in Advance.

Best regards,
Sanjay Kaul
Old 2nd December 2010, 13:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Inside UK, all roads are in good condition. This is an update from my friend who did Naintial-Bhimtal-Almora-Bhimtal-Nageshwar-Ranikhet-Corbett last month in the aftermath of the rains.
Old 2nd December 2010, 14:59   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Inside UK, all roads are in good condition. This is an update from my friend who did Naintial-Bhimtal-Almora-Bhimtal-Nageshwar-Ranikhet-Corbett last month in the aftermath of the rains.
Thanks HVK for the info. This sure makes me feel better :-).

The website started working a few minutes ago but i am not able to register myself. So close yet so far
Old 11th December 2010, 21:04   #4
BHPian

Re: Info needed for the Delhi – Binsar route

Quote:
That is surely music to my ears sir! Planning a christmas weekend trip to Ranikhet and Almora.

PS: Wish you a belated happy birthday! Have a great year ahead.
Old 11th December 2010, 21:12   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
That is surely music to my ears sir! Planning a christmas weekend trip to Ranikhet and Almora.

PS: Wish you a belated happy birthday! Have a great year ahead.
>>>
nkapoor777,

I will be in Ranikhet too, arriving there (from Manesar) on 26th evening and leaving on 28th morning. Have done Ranikhet multiple times.

You may check my thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...red-baron.html

Regards, drive safe
Old 7th March 2011, 14:31   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Any updates on this route?
Some say the Moradabad route is in pits and NH87 is better... Has anyone done the Binsar route lately
Old 15th March 2011, 13:06   #7
BANNED

Updated : 15th March

Took the Delhi - Moradabad - Kathgodam - Almora - Binsar route while going. 400km from West Delhi to Club Mahindra Binsar

Upto Moradabad its a dream run expect from the 5km jam (moving jam) at Garhmukteshwar. Off-roading is the key here. Moradabad bypass is a dream again. After Rampur, roads narrow down. Bilaspur makes u waste a good 15-20mins.
After Kathgodam, good narrow hill roads. The route till Almora is bad due to the floods a few years back - sections are very narrow. It took us 9.5 hrs for 400km including ample breaks for snacks and photography. A quick one stop drive will take just 8.5 hrs

On way back took the Almora - Ranikhet - Nainital - Kaladungi - Bazpur route. Going via Ranikhet adds 25-30km but views at places is terrific (of the snow peaks). Nainital to Bazpur is a dream dream run - very quick. However at Bazpur, a railway crossing wasted 15mins. Bazpur to the place where you touch the Morabadad bypass is mess.
the 50km section takes 1.5 hrs due to 70% of the route being off-roading. A big vehicle / SUV helps.

For those doing Nainital - Delhi, this route is good apart from this little mess. We took 7.5 hrs to Delhi from Nainital from this route including a 30min halt at McDonalds at Gajraula.
Old 15th March 2011, 13:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
Updated : 15th March

Took the Delhi - Moradabad - Kathgodam - Almora - Binsar route while going. 400km from West Delhi to Club Mahindra Binsar

Upto Moradabad its a dream run expect from the 5km jam (moving jam) at Garhmukteshwar. Off-roading is the key here. Moradabad bypass is a dream again. After Rampur, roads narrow down. Bilaspur makes u waste a good 15-20mins.
After Kathgodam, good narrow hill roads. The route till Almora is bad due to the floods a few years back - sections are very narrow. It took us 9.5 hrs for 400km including ample breaks for snacks and photography. A quick one stop drive will take just 8.5 hrs

On way back took the Almora - Ranikhet - Nainital - Kaladungi - Bazpur route. Going via Ranikhet adds 25-30km but views at places is terrific (of the snow peaks). Nainital to Bazpur is a dream dream run - very quick. However at Bazpur, a railway crossing wasted 15mins. Bazpur to the place where you touch the Morabadad bypass is mess.
the 50km section takes 1.5 hrs due to 70% of the route being off-roading. A big vehicle / SUV helps.

For those doing Nainital - Delhi, this route is good apart from this little mess. We took 7.5 hrs to Delhi from Nainital from this route including a 30min halt at McDonalds at Gajraula.
The Moradabad-Bazpur road has been bad for some time now and the better route should be the Moradabad-Ramnagar-Kaladungi one.

Looks like the Rampur route is also better - it was terrible some time ago! How bad was the passage through the small UP towns? And miscellaneous traffic?
Old 15th March 2011, 15:36   #9
BANNED

Quote:
The Moradabad-Bazpur road has been bad for some time now and the better route should be the Moradabad-Ramnagar-Kaladungi one.

Looks like the Rampur route is also better - it was terrible some time ago! How bad was the passage through the small UP towns? And miscellaneous traffic?
Yep - i did remember u telling me about the Bazpur - MBDB section but cuz I was driving one of the finest SUVs in India, I thought why not give it a try.
Actually, till Bazpur, from Kaladungi, it was too good and hence I got tempted to go ahead but then the nightmare!
Ofcourse in a normal car, the Ramnagar route is better.

Passing small towns after manageable though Bilaspur was irritating. As I said, 9.5 for the 400km drive to Binsar with break for McDees and 5 photo-ops (totalling around 30mins) was decent enough.
Old 22nd March 2011, 01:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to go to Binsar in the first or second weekend of April.

My question, which would be the fastest / most convenient route to Binsar. I am just confused between the various options of routes between Moradabad and Almora.

I intend to leave on a Friday afternoon from Delhi (around 4.00 PM) and I will be travelling with a female companion. The car is a Palio Multijet with a decent 170 mm GC and short wheelbase. Not a low-slung sedan but no SUV either.

Should I take:

a. Moradabad BP - Rampur - Bilaspur - Rudrapur - Haldwani - Nainital - Almora - Binsar. I believe this is the longest and quite a pain in terms of traffic.

b. Moradabad BP - Tanda - Bazpur - Kaladhungi - Haldwani - Kathgodam - Bhowali - Ramgarh - Almora - Binsar. I believe there is lots of truck traffic around Tanda - Bazpur. I have read somwhere that the Kaladhungi - Nainital and Kaladhungi - Kathgodam route should not be taken during night time.

I believe either ways this will take almost 10 hours or more (because of traffic between Delhi - Moradabad). Which means I need to break journey somewhere. I guess it will be Haldwani or Kathgodam. Is it possible to continue further to Binsar at night? I have driven in the Nainital, Sattal, Naukuchiyatal area but in good conditions.
Old 22nd March 2011, 06:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post

I intend to leave on a Friday afternoon from Delhi (around 4.00 PM) and I will be travelling with a female companion. The car is a Palio Multijet with a decent 170 mm GC and short wheelbase. Not a low-slung sedan but no SUV either.

Should I take:

a. Moradabad BP - Rampur - Bilaspur - Rudrapur - Haldwani - Nainital - Almora - Binsar. I believe this is the longest and quite a pain in terms of traffic.
Not this route. It has some bad roads and messy driving through small towns.

Quote:
b. Moradabad BP - Tanda - Bazpur - Kaladhungi - Haldwani - Kathgodam - Bhowali - Ramgarh - Almora - Binsar. I believe there is lots of truck traffic around Tanda - Bazpur. I have read somwhere that the Kaladhungi - Nainital and Kaladhungi - Kathgodam route should not be taken during night time.
Not this route. Has some very bad sections.

The better route is MOradabad-Kashipur-Ramnagar-Kaladhungi-Kathagodam. You take the same left turn after the MOradabad bypass but ensure you take the Kashipur/Corbett Park route and not the Bazpur road.

I am not aware of any safety issues on the Moradabad-Kathagodam road. However, you are likely to reach Moradabad not earlier than 8-9 pm.

Quote:
I believe either ways this will take almost 10 hours or more (because of traffic between Delhi - Moradabad). Which means I need to break journey somewhere. I guess it will be Haldwani or Kathgodam. Is it possible to continue further to Binsar at night? I have driven in the Nainital, Sattal, Naukuchiyatal area but in good conditions.
Your best bet to stop for the night would be Bhimtal which has lots of hotels and is a pleasant place to stay at. However, tell your hotel in advanace about your late arrival, maybe by 12 or 1.

Continuing to Binsar at night - possible, but AFAIK, the checkpost from the main road to KMVN Binsar is closed at night.

There is no need to cross Nainital to go to BInsar. After Kathagodam, turn right (straight goes on to Nainital) and go via Bhimtal to BHowali to bypass Nainital and join the Nainital-Almora road at Bhowali.
Old 22nd March 2011, 17:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot HVK sir for the detailed reply.

My questions (further) were:

1. If some of the roads are closed at night, we can't go there. period.

2. Even if they are open, is it okay to drive when the point where you enter Uttarakhand will be around 10 PM?

3. I know about the Moradabd - Kashipur - Ramnagar - Kaladungi - Kathgodam route but isnt that longer?

4. I know you don't have to go to Nainital to go to Almora and you can go via Bhowali. I kept Nainital only as an option in case I need to break journey.

5. If KMVN road is closed at night, I can't go there with these timings.

Will bother you further directly on facebook instead using this roundabout method, except that this might benefit other BHPians.
Old 22nd March 2011, 23:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

I think except for the Binsar road, all roads are open on your route at night.
No problem driving in night in UK, but maybe one should be careful in UP.
Ramanagar route is recommended because the Bazpur route is in a very bad shape and the Rampur route is messy, and also has bad sections.
Better to stay in Bhimtal where you have several hotels - quieter and nicer too - instead of Nainital.
Call up KMVN. I think if you have an advance booking, the check post guys will allow you through after seeing the booking confirmation. However, this 10 kms from the main road to KMVN BInsar sees wildlife on the road.
Old 25th April 2011, 23:26   #14
BANNED

I did this route just a month back.
I was driving an Endeavour and it took me the following times from Delhi
1. Paschim vihar to McDonalds, Gajraula : around 133km / just over 2hrs. We had left early in the morning, hence less traffic. Roads are good except for a little mess at Garhumukteshwar : but u will spend more time here in the mess as I did a lot of off-roading. And leaving at 4pm means more traffic in Delhi so it means u will get to this Mcdonalds in around 3hrs.
2. Mcdonalds - Rampur via Moradabad bypass : 77km : mixed reactions : around 1.5hrs due to the toll jam. Some sections are beautiful. It will be dark by the time you get here. Watch out for idiots in the wrong lane.
3. Rampur - Kathgodam : 81km : 2 hrs. Mixed of good and bad. Road work was going on at places and at places, the road passed thru forest - smooth tarmac. But again, it will be like 9-10pm when you hit this stretch so hurry.

It will be 10:30 by the time you get to Kathgodam. Bhimtal is another 21km : steep inclines to start with. You can be here before 11:30pm.

I also took the Bhimtal route to Binsar and got there in 9.5 hrs with lotta breaks for pics / snacks

Tip : as you will be with a female companion, be on the lookout for crazy drunkards. This is UP at its worst.
Old 26th April 2011, 01:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the detailed information, Bunny. For most of the reasons mentioned by HVK and you, we dropped the idea of going to Binsar as leaving at 4.00 PM did not leave enough buffer for the route. We went elsewhere.

However, this thread will has been filed in memory for future reference. Most of my (bad) experiences with roads in this area in 2008 while doing the lakes area (Sattal, Bhimtal, Naukuchiyatal, Nainital) have not improved.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks