Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2012, 12:05   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune - Ahmedabad - Udaipur - Jaipur - Mt. Abu - Mumbai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
Hey Ranjit,

You have all the knowledge for Hotel review websites to pester you for.

MR sounds good. I'll push them for it.
HRH is useless everywhere. Im sure you'll agree rooms don't make a hotel if staff seem like they're doing you a favor.
Another place if they really want to be by themselves and can make concessions with staying in an old world kind of era would be the Udai Bilas Palace at Dungarpur(arnd 90mins from Udaipur in the direction of Ahmedabad).Some of the newer rooms have all the modern trappings.

Udai Bilas Palace, Heritage Hotel in Rajasthan India
Old 11th July 2012, 21:03   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86
Hi Nitrous Power,

Thank you so much for your suggestions. They are considering Hillock and Hilltone. Would Hillock be a family packed hotel?

I'll tell them to check out Cama
I would rate Hillock better than Hilltone. I am pretty sure, Abu will be too crowded right now and I will not suggest Abu at all. But Cama Rajputana should be less crowded than Hillock.

Quote:
Fatehgarh sounds intertesting and since you're vouching for it Im sure it must be very good. I guess due to off season they will have a good time here.
I can for sure vouch for Fatehgarh as I have stayed there for couple of times. I would suggest it ahead of Leela as Fatehgarh is around 7 km away from town, settled on small hill and really nice place for couples. If budget is not an issue, go for Udaivilas Palace, the best out there.

Quote:
Infact they do need more suggestions of quite places where they can walk around enjoy nature and be in each others' company without the place being filled to the brim

This was really helpful. Thank you. I shall trouble you more if they can't decide.
Let me know if you need any more information.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 11th July 2012 at 21:04.
Old 20th July 2013, 20:03   #63
Senior - BHPian

Dear BHPians,

Reviving this thread, as I have an upcoming road-trip from Pune to Udaipur around 15th August. I have already booked 3-nights in Udaipur from 16th onwards. Planning to start late afternoon/evening on 14th from Pune and halt for the night at Vapi and next day at Ahmedabad. I will be driving safari with my family of 4 including two kids (3 and 8 years). I have never driven north of Vapi on NH8 before. I have following queries in this regard. Appreciate your inputs on same.

1. How is the present road condition, after recent rains. Any blockades, bypass to look out for?

2. How best can I utilize my stay in Udaipur? This will be my first visit to RJ. I am planning to hire local taxi/auto and keep Safari parked for excursions within city.

3. I have shortlisted Chittorgarh, Haldighati and Kumbhalgarh to visit around Udaipur. How are the road conditions and parking options around these places? Should I hire private taxi for these too?

4. Recommended places to eat (we are non vegetarians) and shop within Udaipur.

tia,
-BJ
Old 22nd July 2013, 15:23   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post

1. How is the present road condition, after recent rains. Any blockades, bypass to look out for?
No problems with roads whatsoever.All good.Remember to take the SP Ring Road at the end of the Baroda-Ahmedabad Expressway and go on towards Himmatnagar.Do not enter Ahmedabad city.Also on NH8 remember to take the Expressway towards AMD and not to continue on the NH8 via Anand.Remember there is no option to refuel on the Baroda Expressway,no pump for approx 100-120kms so refuel accordingly.The fuel pumps are on the opposite sides of the roads on the expressway

Quote:
2. How best can I utilize my stay in Udaipur? This will be my first visit to RJ. I am planning to hire local taxi/auto and keep Safari parked for excursions within city.
Good option.Leave it to the taxi guy to do the honors.You can include trips to Kumbhalgarh,Nathdwara,Ranakpur,Haldighati as well.

Quote:
3. I have shortlisted Chittorgarh, Haldighati and Kumbhalgarh to visit around Udaipur. How are the road conditions and parking options around these places? Should I hire private taxi for these too?
You can take your own car to these places.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 17:16   #65
BHPian

Hi,

I'm planning a Mumbai - Udaipur - Mount Abu - Chittorgarh trip in November with family of 4 adults and 2 kids. Its a 10 day trip overall. Plan to stop overnight at Baroda. Needed inputs on the following:

1. How is traffic situation at the Narmada Bridge? Is it still the mother of all traffic jams?
2. What is the best sequence of visiting these places? Should I make Udaipur my main stay as it is centrally located to both Mt ABu and Chittorgarh? I plan to spend three days at Abu and 2 days at Chittorgarh.
Old 22nd July 2013, 22:18   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARvalho View Post
1. How is traffic situation at the Narmada Bridge? Is it still the mother of all traffic jams?
Unpredictable.may be may not be.

Quote:
2. What is the best sequence of visiting these places? Should I make Udaipur my main stay as it is centrally located to both Mt ABu and Chittorgarh? I plan to spend three days at Abu and 2 days at Chittorgarh.
why dont you go direct to mt.abu,then come to udaipur and then go onto chittor and return from Chittor via the udaipur bypass,that way there is no criss-crossing across routes.
Old 24th July 2013, 19:28   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Unpredictable.may be may not be.

why dont you go direct to mt.abu,then come to udaipur and then go onto chittor and return from Chittor via the udaipur bypass,that way there is no criss-crossing across routes.
Thanks Ranjitp. I have changed my route plan to Mumbai - Baroda - Udaipur - Mount Abu - Bardoda - Mumbai. I plan to drive down to Chittorgarh from Udaipur and return to udaipur same day after seeing the place.

I read on the forum that the traffic on Narmada bridge is less if crossed in the afternoon around 2:30 pm. Is that right?
Old 25th July 2013, 17:44   #68
BHPian

Quote:
I read on the forum that the traffic on Narmada bridge is less if crossed in the afternoon around 2:30 pm. Is that right?
There is a narrow bridge running parallel to the main bridge from where cars can cross hardly in few minutes. Local cars uses this narrow bridge, simply follow any of the local car and cross the bridge. Please see the attached file for directions.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Directions.doc (1.30 MB, 715 views)
Topolino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2015, 18:20   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys any updates on the Ahmedabad to Mount Abu route? Planning to go there next weekend from Vadodara. Does the Himmatnagar route still does not have tolls? I have been on the Mehsana highway before and was surprised to see the number and amount of toll taken. Also could not find much information on things to do and see, accommodation options (need a luxury one) etc in Mount Abu.
Old 22nd March 2015, 18:41   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Guys any updates on the Ahmedabad to Mount Abu route? Planning to go there next weekend from Vadodara. Does the Himmatnagar route still does not have tolls? I have been on the Mehsana highway before and was surprised to see the number and amount of toll taken. Also could not find much information on things to do and see, accommodation options (need a luxury one) etc in Mount Abu.
While heading to Ladakh few months back we took Himmatnagar route for the onward and Mt Abu for Return.

If you ask me, I will pick Mt Abu for various reasons -

1. Mehsana Bypass is all done including the Railway Overbridges
2. Excellent tolled L&T Highway connecting SP Ring Road (Ahmedabad) to Mehsana
3. Least Traffic density from Palanpur all the way till Udaipur
4. Excellent pothole free roads all the way (There were a lot of potholes post Himmatnagar (towards Udaipur) near the border and the small ghat that slowed us down too due to crawling trucks maneuvering those potholes .
5. Peaceful entry and exit for Udaipur without really entering the messy bypass (If you take Himmatnagar route).

Till now, I have taken the Mehsana route at least 4 times in the last 3 years and will vouch for it.

Of course, if your concern is on Toll & stay, I am the last person to advice on that as I never stayed here as Mehsana is the place where I normally end up taking a break at my close relative's home off the highway.

Last edited by paragsachania : 22nd March 2015 at 18:52.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2015, 19:26   #71
BHPian

Whatever be the temptation to go ahead and use the bharuch bypass but do not do so. Last time I got stuck at bharuch bypass at 2:30 pm for 2.5 hours inspite of driving 2-3 kms on wrong side of the road. Use the golden bridge after crossing ankleshwar and you will be through in 15 mins.

Those going to Udaipur should use the vadodara- halol - godhra- lunawada route, its in very good condition. Just that it becomes lonely in night but its safe. Make sure to go below the lunawada bridge and take a 90 degree turn towards right to go to modasa - shamlaji - Udaipur.

Last edited by amit_purohit20 : 22nd March 2015 at 19:29.
Old 22nd March 2015, 19:33   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
Whatever be the temptation to go ahead and use the bharuch bypass but do not do so.
Unless Doc is tempted to drive south of Vadodara he would not really want to think about Ankleshwar-Bharuch .

However, I have to agree with you on the Golden Rule/Golden Bridge option. Took the same only last month when I did Ahmedabad from Bangalore without a second thought knowing how badly the main Bridge is facing jams.

It is all back to square one here till the new Bridge is officially built and thrown open which will take at least another 2-3 years from the sources I have heard.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2015, 21:33   #73
BHPian

Last weekend I drove from Ahmedabad to Surat and returned on Monday early morning. I had plenty of time to reach Surat on Saturday, so set off leisurely from Ahmedabad, took the Vadodara express highway and visited the Baroda museum and post lunch drove to Ajwa lake. Decided to try out the alternate route to bypass the Bharuch Narmada bridge to see if it is a viable option. The route taken from Ajwa to Ankeleswar was through Waghodia, Dhaboi, crossed the Narmada near Dariapura, bypassed Rajpipla, and entered NH8 at the flyover over Ankaleshwar. The road was two laned with a mix of village and town traffic, but nothing very heavy. Road condition was reasonably good and it took 3 hours to drive over 130 km. People using this road for bypassing the Narmada bridge at Bharuch should turn left at Dhaboi towards Vadodara.

The return journey was at 1800hours from Surat and came to a halt at 2000 hours about 9 km from the Narmada bridge. I was stuck and with no way of exiting the mess. Finally 3.5 hours I could crawl 2 km and found a divider and promptly turned to the other side of NH8 (wrong side). Since traffic was held up on both sides of the bridge, th e traffic towards Surat was just a trickle of vehicles. Drove cautiously on the wrong side and in 15 minutes reached the bridge and tried to move over to the right side, the main bridge. The cops waved me onto the small narrow bridge on the right side and continued to cross the river. The traffic at the other bank was well regulated, so had no difficulty to switch to the right side and speed away.

I feel the speedy way of crossing this troublesome bridge is to switch over to the wrong side just after the Ankaleshwar flyover and cautiously proceed to the small bridge on the right hand side (used by light traffic coming from Vadodara and proceeding to Surat). Do not forget to use you emergency flashers to warn oncoming traffic about your presence.

The Golden Bridge option is always available, but I feel this option is speedier.
Old 16th May 2015, 01:23   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
While heading to Ladakh few months back we took Himmatnagar route for the onward and Mt Abu for Return.

If you ask me, I will pick Mt Abu for various reasons -

1. Mehsana Bypass is all done including the Railway Overbridges
2. Excellent tolled L&T Highway connecting SP Ring Road (Ahmedabad) to Mehsana
3. Least Traffic density from Palanpur all the way till Udaipur
4. Excellent pothole free roads all the way (There were a lot of potholes post Himmatnagar (towards Udaipur) near the border and the small ghat that slowed us down too due to crawling trucks maneuvering those potholes .
5. Peaceful entry and exit for Udaipur without really entering the messy bypass (If you take Himmatnagar route).

Till now, I have taken the Mehsana route at least 4 times in the last 3 years and will vouch for it.

Of course, if your concern is on Toll & stay, I am the last person to advice on that as I never stayed here as Mehsana is the place where I normally end up taking a break at my close relative's home off the highway.
Hi
We are also planning thing route on our way back from Ladakh. Can you please advice on below
1. If we are coming from Jaipur which is the best option
Jaipur-Ajmer-Pali-Palanpur-Ahmedabad (as google map suggests)
Jaipur-Bhilwara-Udaipur-Abu Road- Palanpur-Ahmedabad
2. From Ahmedabad to Mumbai which is the best option - or is there only one option that the google gives?
Old 16th May 2015, 02:00   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renjith_Mani View Post
Hi
We are also planning thing route on our way back from Ladakh. Can you please advice on below

From Ahmedabad to Mumbai which is the best option - or is there only one option that the google gives?
Last week I travelled Pune - Ahmedabad - Pune and here is my recommendation for Ahmedabad - Mumbai:

Ahmedabad - CTM char rasta - Expressway till Vadodara (it terminates into NH8) - NH8 till Mumbai.

From Ahmedabad to Vadodara, NH8 is also a choice besides the expressway but roads and flyovers are under construction. Better to take expressway. This expressway has 2 lanes plus a narrow service lane in each direction. Not like Mumbai - Pune expressway, which has 3 + 3 lanes + service lanes. So, at times, one needs to be bit patient for overtaking.

At Bharuch, there will be a traffic jam (a frustating and big one!) because of the bottleneck on the Narmada bridge on NH8. Avoid this. Instead, go via Golden Bridge to Ankleshwar and join NH8 at Ankleshwar.

For this, do not take the flyover after Bharuch RTO. Take right below the flyover and go to ABC chowkdi. From here, take left towards Bharuch station. Stay on this road and you will cross Narmada at Golden Bridge (narrow old bridge for cars, autorickshaws and bikes only). Continue on the same road to Ankleshwar. You will see signboards directing you to NH8 / Mumbai.

From the end of Ahmedabad - Vadodara expressway, the flyover to be avoided is at 82 km. If you take the flyover by mistake, then you will have to travel through the trafficjam and that will waste 1-2 hours. After crossing Vadodara, if you set the GPS destination as Bharuch Railway station, the Google will guide you correctly.

Similarly, while travelling from Mumbai to Ahmedabad, travel via Ankleshwar - Golden bridge - Bharuch railway station - ABC chowkdi - NH8. This way, the traffic jam on NH8 is even bigger and you may end up 2-3 hours in this jam.

Apart from this, Mumbai - Ahmedabad NH8 is clear; your journey will be smooth. With top speed of 100 kmph, I progressed 70-75 km every hour.

Wish you happy motoring and a nice time.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks