Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2011, 20:12   #1

Good hotels / resorts in Kodaikanal

Hi.. we are planning a 2 day trip to kodaikanal early next month. Can someone help me with some good hotel / resort details ? It will be just me & my wife. Anything with good view / hill top resort would be preferred.

Also, I get confused with few friends suggesting to stay in Dindigul and travel around to see places..

What is recommended ?

Thanx in adv..
Old 19th January 2011, 21:00   #2
BHPian

Re: Good hotels / resorts in Kodaikanal

hi, try fern creek in kodaikanal...... its great and take the full board option...its different and classy. i stayed there a week back and its amazing.... visit their website.
Dont stay in dindugal, who ever advised you that is VERY WRONG. iTS 50 KMS PLAINS AND 50KMS hills from there. you would not get any better hotels than kodai.
If your traveling on a medium budget, you have a lot of places to stay like, kodai resort, kodai international, ttdc hotel, woodys etc

Last edited by benzbala : 19th January 2011 at 21:02. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 19th January 2011, 21:20   #3
BHPian

Greenlands Youth Hostel: A hotel from the old world charm. I had been there first time with my college folks when we stayed in the dorm (from the website I understand its 200 bucks per bed.) The window just opens up into the valley. Later I went with my wife to the same place. This time a double room - ground floor next to the dorm - in an extension. The third time we got into a king-size first floor room in the extension. Only the dorm is the original old British style building. The rest are poor Indian extensions and does not have that charm.

Pros
- The excellent views from almost all balconies. Its the best hill valley view and is next to the coakers walk.
- A little perched up and away from the crowded dirty streets of the bus stand area.
- Relax on the green grass patch on its lawns, read a book or get lost in the mountain view.

Cons
- Beware of monkeys (there is a website with phone numbers - ask the status of the monkeys)
- Food - You will have to walk down a bit. Again ask them.

Sterling resorts: It overlooks the lake and is more modern with even a sauna if I remember correctly off our office trip.

So you need to choose between the lake-view on one side and the mountain-view which is on the outside.

Enjoy and have a great time!

EDIT: Just re-read. What? Stay in Dindigul??? Whats the point? Experience the cool night climes of the hill-station. Day-time on the hills these days are as hot as in the plains.

Last edited by jeevmenon : 19th January 2011 at 21:23.
Old 19th January 2011, 21:36   #4
Team-BHP Support

Carlton : 5 Star Property
Villa Retreat: Decent. Very close to Coaker's Walk.

Better stay in Kodai as Jeev mentioned.

Last edited by ampere : 19th January 2011 at 21:37.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2011, 21:50   #5
BHPian

Hmm... Ampere. The Villa Retreat on Coakers walk looks better (atleast on the website) than GYH. It appears to have some good views too. Built looks more recent. Hopefully no monkeys. From Rs.1500 to Rs.3750. GYH has its max at 1200.

Carlton is close to the lake and center - no valley view from here. And you can take evening walks around the lake as soon as you step out of your room. It may be much expensive than the above.
Old 19th January 2011, 22:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Carlton : 5 Star Property
Villa Retreat: Decent. Very close to Coaker's Walk.

Better stay in Kodai as Jeev mentioned.
I second ampere. Villa Retreat is an amazing place to stay with excellent views.

If you are looking for budget and decent hotels, Hotel Hill Top (near Lake / 7 Road Junction) is a good choice. But you won't get great views, as in Villa Retreat.

-Ravi
Old 19th January 2011, 22:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

This is not season, so you will get plenty of good deals, so i would suggest ( if you are the adventurous type), do not book anything, land up there and search, you will get into a place within 30 minutes of looking.
Old 19th January 2011, 23:08   #8
Team-BHP Support

Jeev its not that recent. I stayed there, when I used to drive only within BLR!
I took a train to Kodai road and then got a cab to Kodai. (This was some 4 years back).

Carlton would be definitely heavy for the purse.

Last edited by ampere : 19th January 2011 at 23:10.
Old 17th May 2011, 15:38   #9
BHPian

This time I would not mind staying away a bit away and maybe a home-stay and maybe a kitchenette. But it should not be so far away that the altitude reduces below 2100 m And since I am away from downtown I should get the stay for a good price. I should get a good price because I am burning 67 bucks/litre petrol all the way. Any idea anyone. Or for my requirements I should be asking any Kodaikanal team-bhpian?
Old 17th May 2011, 15:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

There is one Hill country, about 4 kms away from the lake. Has studio, 1BR, 2BR types of accomodation with kitchenettes Cost wise may be 4kish
Old 17th May 2011, 16:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

I have stayed at JC Residency twice and it is good. Also, check out Sterling Resorts, but it may be expensive.
Old 4th October 2011, 18:41   #12
BHPian

Had plans of going to Kanyakumari this weekend, but now it has been called off.
Instead will be heading to Kodaikanal later in the month . Would like to know a decent place to stay for a couple of nights.
Not looking for any 5 star property. Would prefer something in the range of 1.5 - 2.5k per night, considering its off season should be good enough i guess.
Old 4th October 2011, 19:03   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Instead will be heading to Kodaikanal later in the month . Would like to know a decent place to stay for a couple of nights.
Not looking for any 5 star property. Would prefer something in the range of 1.5 - 2.5k per night, considering its off season should be good enough i guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
I stayed this Saturday and Sunday at this hotel Sivapriya.
5mins walk from the lake on convent road.
they had rooms at 990 per night (including tax). clean rooms and toilet. They have larger rooms also for Rs.1900
Vegetarian Food is available. Parking is ample and secure.

Best part: Also they arrange bus tours to places at Rs 300 per couple every day. Nice!!
So you don't have to use your car or find the tourist spots. Just sit in the bus and they take you everywhere.

For non Vegetarian Food
Try the aapa kadai of hillview restaurant (near kodaikanal international school) for dinner. Try hill view restaurant for breakfast and club astoria(NV) for any meals. These are better ones I found as far as restaurants go.
Old 31st October 2012, 17:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

I stayed at Dale Thrope Bungalow in 2008, owned by Mr. Shaheed (Ph: 9443322710). You will have a home stay at this well maintained property, 4-5 mins drive from the lake.
Very clean, home cooked tasty food, fire place, and excellent atmosphere. YOu can walk to bear shola falls in the early morning to get en excellent eye catching view of the forest.
Visit: http://www.dalethorpe.com/ for more details.
Old 1st November 2012, 07:55   #15
BHPian

Try Ganesh guest house near the lake and behind the telephone exchange I guess. Pretty decent rooms with hot water for Rs. 600 per day.

They have only four rooms, and not sure about the food options. Parking lot is very good but open, lot of spaces. Convenient location near the lake, and clean rooms.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks