Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2011, 16:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Any one from / near Tripunithura?

I need to drive next month to tripunithura (to attend a wedding function).

What is the correct/better route after Calicut?
(I think, upto thrissur there are no changes but where to take diversion from thrissur or from Ernakulam??

Is there any good hotel's in Tripunithura?

Your suggestions/recommendations please!!
Old 22nd January 2011, 17:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Any one from / near Tripunithura?

I think it is better to take the NH17 via Ponnani, Chavakkad, Kodungalloor, Paravur, Vara puzha (leave NH 17 and join NH 47 at Kalamaserry), HMT junction, Sea Port Airport Road (passes throught SEZ), Irumpanam, Tripunithura.

You can try Hotel Prasanth in Tripunithura.
Old 22nd January 2011, 17:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
What is the correct/better route after Calicut?
(I think, upto thrissur there are no changes but where to take diversion from thrissur or from Ernakulam??
I'll suggest the following options:

1. Calicut-Edappal-Kunnamkulam-Thrissur-Chalakudy-Angamaly-Aluva-Kalamassery-Kakkanad-Tripunithura
2. Calicut-Kuttipuram-Ponnani-Chavakkad-Kodungallur-Parur-Aluva-Kalamassery-Kakkanad-Tripunithura

Alternatively, you can try Kodungallur-Parur-Varapuzha-Edappally-Vyttila-Pettah-Tripunithura (but be prepared for traffic between Vyttila and Tripunithura, plus lots of cops between Edappally and Vyttila). This should be the shortest route, but traffic conditions very largely.

Edit: If you are taking NH17 all the way to Kodungallur, please ensure that you do not pay toll at Kottapuram and Varapuzha. If you pay at Chettuva, thats sufficient for Kottapuram and Varapuzha bridges as well. I've often seen people paying toll at all the three booths, when you are actually paying for all the three together!

Last edited by binaiks : 22nd January 2011 at 17:51.
Old 24th January 2011, 12:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

@pramodpk
@binaiks

Thanks yours (sorry late response, since I was busy with something else).

Option 2 - no need to touch Thrissur, I presume?? (it will be nice to avoid big cities?)
Old 25th January 2011, 12:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think option 2 is better. You don't have to touch Thrissur. You also avoid Chalakkudy, Angamaly, Aluva.

I had driven from Thirunavaya ( via Ponnani) to Vaikom (through Tripunithura) in March 2010 and the roads were good throughout. Traffic was also less compared to NH 47. It will be shorter as well. No need to go till Edapally on NH 17. You can deviate and join NH 47 at Kalamassery. Unfortunately, I cannot give exact directions. The route is Paravur, Pathalam, Kalamassery ( You can take local help, Ask Kalamassery after paravur). At Kalamassery, take a deviation at HMT junction and go via Kakkanad, Irumpanam to Tripunithura. This is shorter and you can avoid Edapally, Palarivattom Junction and Vytilla ( all big junctions with lot of traffic Pile up).

Last edited by pramodpk : 25th January 2011 at 12:22. Reason: Post content added
Old 25th January 2011, 20:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
No need to go till Edapally on NH 17. You can deviate and join NH 47 at Kalamassery. Unfortunately, I cannot give exact directions. The route is Paravur, Pathalam, Kalamassery ( You can take local help, Ask Kalamassery after paravur)
Instead of going via Pathalam, the route via Manjummal is better. The Pathalam route will land straight at Premier junction, which is a bigger headache - plus the traffic crawls all the way from Premier Junction to HMT Junction. Its better to take the Manjummal route (which might be a couple of kms long but beats all traffic).

The route is:

After Varapuzha bridge (the second toll gate after Kodungallur. First toll is at Kottapuram - you'll cross two long bridges after this toll. The second toll is at Varapuzha - you'll cross one long bridge after this), you'll reach a point where one has to take a "right" towards Edappally - this point is about 2~3 kms from Varapuzha bridge.

More identification marks: After Varapuzha, you'll cross the new road towards Vallarpadam (although this is an easier way to reach Kalamassery, its illegal to drive on this road. Have seen a lot of "new comers" being charged by Traffic Police for violating no entry), then a junction with a church on the right side. After this, you'll cross two petrol pumps - one HP and one IndianOil. After the two pumps, about 500~700 metres later, you'll reach a T junction.

At this junction, take a left. You'll immediately cross a bridge, and then the road keeps going (its a bit narrow at places - but not dangerously narrow). At the first "major" junction, take a right. (IIRC, there are boards reading "Sabarimala" here). Keep going on this road. You'll cross the "Manjummal Road Bridge cum Regulator", and then keep going - do NOT take a turn anywhere. You'll finally reach a "Flyover". At the end of the flyover, take a U turn (towards right) and go below the flyover. The road turn to the right, keep going. You'll reach a Signal. Keep going straight. Take a right at the first junction (after the signal) - you are now on Airport-Seaport Road.

This is the approximate tracking on Google Maps. I work in the vicinity of this route - please send a PM if you need further info on this route.
Old 26th January 2011, 01:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Option 2 - no need to touch Thrissur, I presume?? (it will be nice to avoid big cities?)
It is possible to avoid going in to Thrissur town (Swaraj round) even if you take Option-1.

In my opinion, the Kodungalloor-Aluva/Edappally stretch is narrow (two lane with no divider). Possibly the number of vehicles on the road on this route is lesser compared to NH47, but it will still be crowded. Private buses are a menace on this route.

The NH47 4-laning has progressed quite well, so it's possible to cover Thrissur-Ekm stretch in less than 90 minutes (without over-speeding).
Old 26th January 2011, 09:57   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
The NH47 4-laning has progressed quite well, so it's possible to cover Thrissur-Ekm stretch in less than 90 minutes (without over-speeding).

I would agree to that. I could do the same with diversions even in a year ago!
PS: I am talking of 47 status between Trichur and EKM.
Old 7th February 2011, 12:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks all your suggestions!!
Which will be the nearest railway station when arriving from kannur/calicut direction.
(just looking for alternatives, incase am not able to take my car!)
Old 7th February 2011, 16:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Tripunithura has a railway station, but not many express trains stop there. Coming from north, Aluva will be a good option. Ernakulam South (Junction) might be the closest, but the route from south station to tripunithura will be a traffic nightmare
Old 7th February 2011, 17:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Ernakulam North station is also an option, but I'm not sure which trains go to Ernakulam North and which go to Ernakulam South.
Old 7th February 2011, 18:38   #12
BHPian

As I understand trains going via Kottayam passes through Tripunithura station; not sure which ones stop at Tripunithura.

But from Ernakulam the closest station is south, but like starrsky has mentioned the traffic from south Stn. to Tripunitura would be a nightmare during peak hours.
Old 7th February 2011, 18:46   #13
BHPian

I stay in Ernakulam which is about 12 km from Tripunithura. My moms place is Calicut though there is no one there now. I use to teach at Edapal on Fridays for 3 years. My inlaws are from Thrissur and I stay at Ernakulam for the past 16 years; thats for my credentials.
Leaving your car at Calicut is the best option presently if you are new to Kerala. Traffic in Ernakulam district is just not worth your troubles.
I would suggest that you either take a train or bus(preferably train) and get down at Ernakulam south station. Opposite the station there are hotels if you are single. If with family go to Abad Plaza at MG Road which will cost equally from the bus station and railway station. Make use of Prepaid Auto at the railway station. They should fleece you about Rs30 by Autorick and Rs150 by Taxi.
Take the Garib Rath AC train or the Volvo AC bus. The train will save you 1 hour travel time over every other mode of transport.

If you are hell bent on traveling by car( I advice you against it as its a 6 hour drive for newbies and 4 1/2 for veterans) then take the normal 2 lane route which is NH47 into Thrissur. Forget Nh17 if you are new to Kerala. Make sure at Thrissur you take the Truck route bypassing the city. Do not take the short routes in Thrissur but ask for Manuthi junction when reaching Thrissur. (very important you ask for Manuthi junction). Its 3 km extra to Manuthi but saves you a lot of time for newbies. At Manuthi take the right on the four lane highway. You can easily hit 140kmph but these 4 lanes are infested with speed trackers and the limit is 70kmph and the fine is Rs 300/. After 68 km from Thrissur on the 4 lane ask for Ernakulam Edapally church/toll junction and then take a left to Vytilla keeping on the byepass. Once you cross the railway over bridge near Vytila you will reach a very huge traffic junction after 150 meters; take the left there and you are on your way to Tripunithura in about 6km. After you reach Petta junction make sure you take the left turn or follow the traffic into the left. At each junction up to Thrissur ask for the way to Ernakulam via the 4 lane Manuthi junction. This is very important for first timers. Do not take the shorter route anywhere if you are with family. Reaching Manuthi junction is important so as to save at least 25 minutes to 1 hour if you get lost.

The route is Calicut-Edapal-Kunnamkulam-Thrissur-the very important Mannuthi junction-Chalakudy-Angamaly-Edapally toll junction-very important Edapally church junction-take left to be on byepass to Vytilla-left turn to Tripunithura-left turn at Petta junction-Tripunithura.
There are many small conjested one way lanes in Tripunithura so ask for directions after you reach Petta junction.
Old 7th February 2011, 22:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all your suggestions!!
Which will be the nearest railway station when arriving from kannur/calicut direction.
(just looking for alternatives, incase am not able to take my car!)
I'd suggest getting off at Aluva, in case you plan to take a bus after getting off the train. Else, get off at Ernakulam Town/Ernakulam Junction and take a taxi.

In case you are getting off at Aluva, the bus station is right outside the railway station. There are buses to Tripunithura (every 20 mins or so), which take the airport-seaport road. If you are choosing this option, be sure to take a bus with the boards "Kakkanad > Tripunithura". The other ones would go through the city - and add anywhere between 30 and 60 minutes to your running time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
The route is Calicut-Edapal-Kunnamkulam-Thrissur-the very important Mannuthi junction-Chalakudy-Angamaly-Edapally toll junction-very important Edapally church junction-take left to be on byepass to Vytilla-left turn to Tripunithura-left turn at Petta junction-Tripunithura.
But why via Edappally, and that too via the church? It only makes him wait for long time at the Edappally bypass signal, when you can take a free left straight to the bypass.

Isn't it simply better to take a left after Premier Junction (Kalamassery) and keep going through Airport-Seaport road?

I drive daily from Kodungallur to Ernakulam, and would not suggest anyone to take the route via Edappally. Thats hell for any driver - newbie or veteran.
Old 7th February 2011, 22:29   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
But why via Edappally, and that too via the church? It only makes him wait for long time at the Edappally bypass signal, when you can take a free left straight to the bypass.

Isn't it simply better to take a left after Premier Junction (Kalamassery) and keep going through Airport-Seaport road?

I drive daily from Kodungallur to Ernakulam, and would not suggest anyone to take the route via Edappally. Thats hell for any driver - newbie or veteran.
Yes I do agree that the route via Kalamassery to airport seaport road and then straight onto Irimbanam and then to Tripunithura is shorter but the sheer number of times one has to ask for directions is too much. For a newbie its better to take the free left at Edapally church junction and then onto Vytilla. Every morning I take the route you mentioned to go to Kothamangalam and back at about 6:55am even though I know a route thats 6km shorter via Pukatupady but I save on fuel going the longer way as I can keep it in 5th gear nearly all the way and only and upto 4th when taking the shorter route. Totally agree with you on the traffic scene at Edapally. I still prefer he take the longer route if he is traveling with family.
When traveling with family I always prefer to take routes that have the least number of alternative possibilities for taking a wrong turn. If the routes were clearly marked with sign boards then definitely I would suggest the airport seaport road which is way shorter and less congested.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks