Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2011, 15:16   #1
BHPian

Guruvayoor Trip and Travel Advice

Hi Team,

I made some mistakes while planning my Kerala trip and in a fix now on how to plan further

We have planned a Annaprasanam funtion for my 8 month boy on 7th Feb. We have got a train ticket on 5th from chennai to trissur. On 6th, we have to go to Guruvayoor temple and make the booking for 7th Feb (auspicious day and no changes can be done on that) and then we have to spend the rest of the day to places around Guruvayoor. Initially we thought of a day trip to Chalakudi.

The next day, I am assuming the function will be over by 11.00 AM on 7th Feb on Monday. Any help on how I can plan a travel to Alleppey from Guruvayoor. I have return ticket on 8th Feb from Alleppey and want to squeeze in a House boat trip on 7th and 8th Feb. Is it possible? Or do we have a better place around Guruvayoor and Trissur. We are not interested in Cochin/Ernakulam.

Any pointer on how I can plan the trip will be a great help.
Old 28th January 2011, 16:29   #2
BHPian

Re: Guruvayoor Trip and Travel Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
Hi Team,

I made some mistakes while planning my Kerala trip and in a fix now on how to plan further

We have planned a Annaprasanam funtion for my 8 month boy on 7th Feb. We have got a train ticket on 5th from chennai to trissur. On 6th, we have to go to Guruvayoor temple and make the booking for 7th Feb (auspicious day and no changes can be done on that) and then we have to spend the rest of the day to places around Guruvayoor. Initially we thought of a day trip to Chalakudi.

The next day, I am assuming the function will be over by 11.00 AM on 7th Feb on Monday. Any help on how I can plan a travel to Alleppey from Guruvayoor. I have return ticket on 8th Feb from Alleppey and want to squeeze in a House boat trip on 7th and 8th Feb. Is it possible? Or do we have a better place around Guruvayoor and Trissur. We are not interested in Cochin/Ernakulam.

If you are not specific about timings, you can get the Annaprasanam funtion done whenever temple is open (we did our kid's around 5 AM).
Plan your "detailed" darshan on 6th itself including Mammiyoor temple and sight seeing, say Elephant Camp etc.

How are you planning to travel to Alleppey? By train, bus or taxi? Assuming it is taxi, will take 3 to 4 hours through Chavakkad->Kodungallur->Paravur->Edappally(Ernakulam ByePass)->Vyttila->Cherthala->Alleppey

I feel you can do your house boat trip on 7th evening itself if you wish to. Not sure whether you are planning to stay overnight in an house boat !
Old 28th January 2011, 16:41   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
If you are not specific about timings, you can get the Annaprasanam funtion done whenever temple is open (we did our kid's around 5 AM).
Plan your "detailed" darshan on 6th itself including Mammiyoor temple and sight seeing, say Elephant Camp etc.

How are you planning to travel to Alleppey? By train, bus or taxi? Assuming it is taxi, will take 3 to 4 hours through Chavakkad->Kodungallur->Paravur->Edappally(Ernakulam ByePass)->Vyttila->Cherthala->Alleppey

I feel you can do your house boat trip on 7th evening itself if you wish to. Not sure whether you are planning to stay overnight in an house boat !
Thank You Ajith. Based on your reply, let me plan first day for local temples Mammiyoor, Elephant Camp and Vadukanathan Temple.

For the Annaprasanam should I do any early booking and will I be given a option on timings. Also how long does that take. So that I can plan my trip to Allepey. If I engage a taxi, how much they would charge? Any idea on that will help.

Yes my wife wanted to do that. But I am still deciding on that. Will it be fine to carry 8 month old boy there. I am bothereing about Safety and Insects. Any suggestions to this will greatly help on deciding
Old 28th January 2011, 18:27   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Thank You Ajith. Based on your reply, let me plan first day for local temples Mammiyoor, Elephant Camp and Vadukanathan Temple.

For the Annaprasanam should I do any early booking and will I be given a option on timings. Also how long does that take. So that I can plan my trip to Allepey. If I engage a taxi, how much they would charge? Any idea on that will help.

Yes my wife wanted to do that. But I am still deciding on that. Will it be fine to carry 8 month old boy there. I am bothereing about Safety and Insects. Any suggestions to this will greatly help on deciding
Where are you staying? I thought it was Guruvayur only to make the early morning trip to temple comfortable and convenient. Usually hotel guys can help you with some local help for functions in Guruvayur. But my guess is that 7th being a working day, Sabarimala rush over and exam days nearing for kids, there should not be any rush. But it is advisable to take coupons for your functions and Prasadams the previous day evening itself.

Elephant Camp has certain timings and it would be good to check this out prior to your visit. Maybe it can be checked in the net or you can get the information from locals, read relatives or atleast hotel guys.

BTW, I hope you are aware that Vadukanathan Temple is at the center of Trichur town and it takes somewhat longer time usually for a visit to this temple because of its sheer size. Trichur to Guruvayur will take about 45 minutes if you are on a car.

I would recommend not to stay overnight in a houseboat if you are not familiar. The fun and thrill that you get during the boat ride during the day will be enough for an experience to remember.

And about taxi, I am not sure about the same since we always take our car only. Maybe someone else in the forum can provide you definite details and also some contact numbers of tour operators or cab drivers.
Old 28th January 2011, 20:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So that I can plan my trip to Allepey. If I engage a taxi, how much they would charge? Any idea on that will help.
Guruvayur to Alappuzha with take 3~4 hours depend on traffic conditions. The route, as ajith mentioned, is Chavakkad-Kodungallur-Edappally-Vyttila-Aroor-Cherthala. The distance is approx 145 kms. The hire per "running km" is Rs. 8. You'll be charged for 290 kms (twice the one way distance).

Your hotel at Guruvayur will help you get better rates.

Quote:
House boats are pretty safe. All the authorised houseboats at Alappuzha are periodically inspected for safety. They rate charged is for 22 hours - check in at 11 AM, and check out at 9 AM the next morning. The normal rate lies between Rs. 3,000~8,500 depending on the number of rooms in the boat. Food is included. The boat is moored at night, usually at a safe jetty.

Get in touch with KTDC reception at Alappuzha, they'll help you get a good boat. There are lots of agents around Alappuzha bus station as well.
Old 28th January 2011, 21:45   #6
BANNED

What is the mistake?

Quote:
We have planned a Annaprasanam funtion for my 8 month boy on 7th Feb. We have got a train ticket on 5th from chennai to trissur.
So you reach TCR on 6th early morning. Stay at TCR. What train are you taking? The chennai mail reaches around 5AM at TCR.

Quote:
On 6th, we have to go to Guruvayoor temple and make the booking for 7th Feb (auspicious day and no changes can be done on that) and then we have to spend the rest of the day to places around Guruvayoor. Initially we thought of a day trip to Chalakudi.
Fine; you stay at GVR on 7th, full time.

You can visit Chalakudy (I presume you mean Athirappally falls) on 6th.

Quote:

Ah. this is where the problem lies. I guess this is the Aleppey - Chennai express, starting from Alleppey around 3.30 PM.

Let us see....

Alternative 1.

Arrival TCR - 6th, early morning. Take a room at TCR itself.

(actually, if the train stops at Chalakudy, you may be better off alighting at Chalakudy itslef - but the city and infrastructure are a bit far away - you will need an taxi booked in advance, who will wait for you at Cky Railway station in this case).

Proceed to Chalakudy / Athirappally. Come back to TCR, visit Vadukkmnathan temple in the evening.

7th Feb Check out from TCR room. Proceed to GVR. Start from temple by 1.00 afternoon. Proceed to Alleppey, reach by 5.00 PM.

Stay overnight in Houseboat. Make sure you have booking till around 1.00 PM on the houseboat. Leave for Alleppey railway station well after 1.00 PM. (depends on the train you are taking).

Alternative 2.

6th Feb:- Go straight to GVR from TCR. Stick to the taxi you hired from TCR Railway station.

In morning, visit the places in GVR mentioned in this thread. But, start from the Thriprayar Sri Rama temple, which I guess is around 30 - 35 KM from FVR. (Hope somebody will give better details). Give the taxi wallah the list of places you want to visit, he will schedule it for you. In evening, visit the places in TCR town - including Vadukkumnathan temple. have dinner from TCR itself.

Taxi guys in TCR railway station are pretty decent and honest. But make sure you have the rates fixed before you hire him. (see below)

7th onwards - as in plan 1. But instead of NH 17 suggested above, take the TCR > NH 46 > Ankamaly > Edappally > Cherthala ... etc route. On way, spend some time at Athirappaly. This way, you reach alleppey around 8 / 9 PM. Or skip Athirappally altogether.

Taxi fares in KL are - between 110 to 150 per hour waiting, or between 7 and 10 per KM, whichever is more. Means, If you travel 50 KM over 8 hourss, you pay the hourly rate; because that is more; but ifyou travel100 KMs in 8 hours, you pay the per KM rate. The variation is based on condition of the vehicle and use of a/c. (Rs. 20 per hour extra / Rs. 1 - 1.50 extra). I have not taken a taxi in a long time - so if anybody else has updates - please respond.

At TCR, best food (IMHO) is Reach us restaurant - is it on TCR round (round goes around the Vadukkamnathan temple). Look out for a light blue board with a handicrafts / handloom shop nearby. At GVR - it is Krishna INN / Elite, with the KTDC's hotels (2 of them) next in line.

You can consider Malampuzha dam (palakkad) / Peechi dam. not sure if you want to do that with the kid(s). Peechi, especially, though well maintained, can be a bit deserted, and hence unsafe if your are not in strong numbers.
Old 29th January 2011, 00:46   #7
BHPian

Thank You All.

@Backseatdriver - Elite is booked out. Krishna Inn is above my budget. Any other place. My budget is around 1200 K.
Old 29th January 2011, 01:05   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Thank You All.

@Backseatdriver - Elite is booked out. Krishna Inn is above my budget. Any other place. My budget is around 1200 K.
Govindam or Vysakh, both should be okay budget-wise and just 2 mins walk from temple. Basuri Inn near Bus Stand is another one but budget-wise slightly on the higher side but really worth it. What say, mates?
Old 29th January 2011, 10:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: What is the mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
(actually, if the train stops at Chalakudy, you may be better off alighting at Chalakudy itslef - but the city and infrastructure are a bit far away - you will need an taxi booked in advance, who will wait for you at Cky Railway station in this case).
Chalakkudy station has adequate number of taxis. So getting one should not be an issue. But then I am not sure of good hotels in Chalakkudy. I guess its safe to stick to Thrissur or Guruvayur itself.

I would suggest booking at a hotel in Guruvayur instead. Tamarind Hotel at Guruvayur (KTDC Property) would be a good choice - but they are slightly over your budget - at Rs. 1400. There are a couple of good hotels around the KSRTC bus station - I am unable to remember their names though.

Quote:
7th Feb Check out from TCR room. Proceed to GVR. Start from temple by 1.00 afternoon. Proceed to Alleppey, reach by 5.00 PM.
I'd suggest taking a single room - actually hotels might offer a better package when you take rooms for a longer time. Since you need to take a ticket for the Annaprasam the previous day, it'll be better to stick to places around Guruvayur itself. (read more, ahead)

Quote:
Stay overnight in Houseboat. Make sure you have booking till around 1.00 PM on the houseboat. Leave for Alleppey railway station well after 1.00 PM. (depends on the train you are taking).
Not sure of this - but the Last time I heard, houseboats prefer taking bookings before noon. Their usual check-in is at 11 AM, and checkout at 9. So, if a boat has to provide you booking until 1pm, he stands to lose out on the next days' hire as well.

Quote:
6th Feb:- Go straight to GVR from TCR. Stick to the taxi you hired from TCR Railway station.
Wouldn't that work out too expensive? Especially since he is not "terminating" back at Thrissur. I am not very sure, since the Last time I took a cab was more than two years ago.

Quote:
In morning, visit the places in GVR mentioned in this thread. But, start from the Thriprayar Sri Rama temple, which I guess is around 30 - 35 KM from FVR. (Hope somebody will give better details). Give the taxi wallah the list of places you want to visit, he will schedule it for you. In evening, visit the places in TCR town - including Vadukkumnathan temple. have dinner from TCR itself.
Triprayar temple is about 25 kms from Guruvayur. A good plan would be to visit Guruvayur temple in the morning, purchase tickets for the next days Annaprasam. Have a darsan (since you'd be in a hurry the next day). Come down to Triprayar (must be here before 12noon). Have a darsan. After this, you can head back to Guruvayur for lunch and some rest. Around evening, head back to Thrissur for visiting Vadakkumnathan temple.

You can alternatively visit Kodungallur temple.

Quote:
7th onwards - as in plan 1. But instead of NH 17 suggested above, take the TCR > NH 46 > Ankamaly > Edappally > Cherthala ... etc route. On way, spend some time at Athirappaly. This way, you reach alleppey around 8 / 9 PM. Or skip Athirappally altogether.
You will have to leave Guruvayur before noon, towards Alappuzha. Getting good boats can be an issue after 11AM - since the best boats are either booked well in advance, or they get hired out first. Perhaps add Athirappally to the list, and reach Alappuzha by night. Take a house boat in the morning, for a short ride around, in order to reach back in Alappuzha by afternoon.
Old 29th January 2011, 12:32   #10
BHPian

Thank you Ajith, Binaiks and Backseatdriver. Based on all of your suggestions I have decided on the following Itinerary.

I have booked a AC room at Bhasuri Inn for 1100/- and negotiating with House boat vendors at Alleppey. Will you posted with updates.

First guy called Great Escapes - is giving a exhorbitant quote of 14K with pickup fro GVR.

6th Feb
7.15 AM Arrival at TCR
8.30 AM Check in Hotel at GVR
9.30 AM Breakfast
10.00 AM Guruvayoor Temple (Annaprasanam Booking)
11.00 AM Visit Elephant Camp/Mamiyur/Tiruprayar Temple
12.30 PM Start to Chalakudi in a Cab (In middle stop for Lunch)
6.00 PM Vadakunathar Temple - TCR
9.00 PM After Dinner Hit the Bed

7 th Feb
5.00 AM Wake up at Five
6.00 AM Complete Annaprasanam Function at GV
7.00 AM Mamiyur Temple
7.30 AM Breakfast
8.30 AM Start to Alleppey. Transport mode - TBD
1.00 PM Checkin at Boat House and spend rest of the day in HB

8th Feb
10:00 AM Check out from Boat House
10.30 to 3 PM Allepey Sight seeing or TBD
4.00 PM Board Allepey Exp to Chennai

Any suggestions on this are greatly Welcome.

Last edited by Ananthang : 29th January 2011 at 12:43.
Old 31st January 2011, 16:45   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Ajith, Binaiks and Backseatdriver. Based on all of your suggestions I have decided on the following Itinerary.

I have booked a AC room at Bhasuri Inn for 1100/- and negotiating with House boat vendors at Alleppey. Will you posted with updates.

First guy called Great Escapes - is giving a exhorbitant quote of 14K with pickup fro GVR.
Bhasuri Inn is definitely a good choice. Their in-house food seems good as well. For the cab, I suggest to take inputs from the forum before you finalize on anyone. Or try to get some package offer (or at the best, good references) from your GVR hotel itself.

Quote:
6th Feb
7.15 AM Arrival at TCR
8.30 AM Check in Hotel at GVR
9.30 AM Breakfast
10.00 AM Guruvayoor Temple (Annaprasanam Booking)
11.00 AM Visit Elephant Camp/Mamiyur/Tiruprayar Temple
12.30 PM Start to Chalakudi in a Cab (In middle stop for Lunch)
6.00 PM Vadakunathar Temple - TCR
9.00 PM After Dinner Hit the Bed
Feb 6 is a sunday and that too the first sunday of the month.
Expect big non-seasonal rush in Guruvayur temple and hence just having darshan may take a couple of hours for you with family. And it will be a long queue at most of the token counters as well unless you have someone who can help you with this. Alternatively, as we do at times, someone goes well in advance of the group just to stand in the queue for tokens as soon as we reach Guruvayur.

And I believe both Guruvayur and Mammiyur closes by 12 noon in the forenoon and then reopens around 4 pm. Almost same timing goes for Triprayar as well. And if you visit Elephant Camp, you need to budget for atleast an hour to make it enjoyable.

Next point to note is that either from Guruvayur or Triprayar, it will take about 2 hours to reach Athirappally (assuming you meant Indian Niagra when you meant Chalakkudy)

Athirappally, Kerala, India - Athirappally Hotels, Athirappally resorts, Athirappally tourism, Athirappally real estate and Athirappally businesses

Considering to-and-fro journeys, you need to keep aside about 4 hours for travel. And once you reach the place, I guess you need about 2 hours to experience the place and still not sure whether you include the Vazhachal Waterfalls, another 5 Kms away.

In short, 6th is going to be a hectic day with this schedule. And also, keep in mind that you just did an overnight journey and also that the next day, you need to be fresh and energetic for the big day with an early start !!!

Quote:
7 th Feb
5.00 AM Wake up at Five
6.00 AM Complete Annaprasanam Function at GV
7.00 AM Mamiyur Temple
7.30 AM Breakfast
8.30 AM Start to Alleppey. Transport mode - TBD
1.00 PM Checkin at Boat House and spend rest of the day in HB

8th Feb
10:00 AM Check out from Boat House
10.30 to 3 PM Allepey Sight seeing or TBD
4.00 PM Board Allepey Exp to Chennai

Any suggestions on this are greatly Welcome.
As such, 7th and 8th schedules look okay. Only suggestion would be that since you are travelling by road, you get Thriprayar enroute and so plan this temple on the way to Alleppey from Guruvayur only. This will relax the schedule of 6th a little bit. Also, you get Kodungallur temple on the way which is also a great place to take a break for about half-an-hour (expect no big rush here) if you happen to cross before 12 noon when the temple is open.

Please try an alternate schedule and see how it looks as well.

Matter of personal preference: If I have to decide for a trip with my family, I would finish all "feasible" local visits around Guruvayur on 6th Feb itself. On 7th early morning, get the function done by 6 AM, take a cab to Trichur and board the following train to Alleppey.
16308,ALLEPPEY EXP that departs Trichur 9.30 AM and reach Alleppey by 1 PM.
I just checked and tickets are still available for reservation, it seems.

Last edited by ajithbr : 31st January 2011 at 17:12. Reason: Additional points added
Old 31st January 2011, 23:13   #12
BHPian

Thank You Ajith.

Yes you are right, I am pushing too much on 6th Feb. We decided to take it easy and not going to have tight schedule.
With 8 month old baby boy, I will definitely try to make it simpler.

A question on tokens, I assume you meant taking token for next day Annaprasanam and any special entrance ticket for darshan on Sunday right.

This is the first time, we are doing annaprasanam for a kid in our family and I am not sure how long it will take. I will be the happiest person if I can get it over by 7.00 AM on Monday.

Even I saw that train, yesterday it had about 35 Chair car tickets since I am not sure about when this Annaprasanam will start at the temple and complete, I did not book the tickets.

Any idea on this will greatly help me in planning further.
Old 1st February 2011, 12:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A question on tokens, I assume you meant taking token for next day Annaprasanam and any special entrance ticket for darshan on Sunday right
No darshan tickets at Guruvayur.Everbody follows the same q!.Just be doubly sure that you do not have any items of leather on you when you enter the temple.No camera allowed,but there are temple photographers inside who can shoot the occasion for you,They would then send the pictures via post/courier to you.The photographers are reliable.Also be prepared with the temple dress code,this is to avoid loss of time

Quote:
This is the first time, we are doing annaprasanam for a kid in our family and I am not sure how long it will take. I will be the happiest person if I can get it over by 7.00 AM on Monday.
The function by itself gets over in less than 10mins.The best way to do it,is to go to the offerings counter the previous evening and get the choroonu tokens.The choroonu time would be printed on the ticket.(atleast it used to be till some time back and I dont think its change
Old 1st February 2011, 13:55   #14
BHPian

Thanks Ranjith. Any idea on when they start Choroonu at the temple. Can I get one scheduled at 7.00 AM on Monday.

Last edited by Ananthang : 1st February 2011 at 13:56. Reason: Did edit the Quote area properly
Old 1st February 2011, 17:52   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ranjith. Any idea on when they start Choroonu at the temple. Can I get one scheduled at 7.00 AM on Monday.
I guess you will have more doubts/queries about Guruvayur. Most of your queries will be answered in the website Welcome to the abode of Lord Sree GURUVAYOORAPPAN at Bhoolokavaikundam
Or note down the phone numbers there and get all the queries answered by the officials themselves.

As mentioned earlier, you can get your function done whenever the temple is open. We have done our kid's around 5 AM and might have left Guruvayur before 7 AM. Even if the timing is printed on the ticket (I never saw them anytime I had been to a choroonu function), it is not really followed unless there is an unlikely chance of extreme crowds on that day.

Some tips to follow while you are in Guruvayur which are NEVER compromised:
1) follow the temple dress code
2) everybody follows the same queue. But an exception is that soon after annaprasanam (choroonu), the kid and the mother will be allowed direct entry through the side gate upto the main deity
3) no items of leather and plastic are allowed; if you have one, you need to dispose it in a far-away dustbin or hand it over in the cloak room which is away from the temple; the security guys will not take it from you and keep it aside
4) items strictly banned include cameras, mobiles and electronic items (like car remote)
5) there are temple photographers inside who can shoot the occasion for you,They would then send the pictures via post/courier to you.The photographers are reliable. You can even take their personal mobile numbers and studio numbers. If you happen to be in Guruvayur for another couple of hours, you can directly collect it from them as well.

Bhasuri Inn staff should be really helpful for any local help/guidance as well.

Let me know if this helps..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks