Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2011, 00:03   #1
BHPian

Pune - Coimbatore : Route Queries

Hello,

I recently drove from Pune to Goa in my new Xylo E8. The drive was so comfortable and tireless thanks to the Xylo, that I am tempted to drive from Pune to Coimbatore with family and parents in the Xylo.

This distance is around 1,150 kms, which means I will be taking a night halt somewhere. How is the route from Pune to Coimbatore ? Is there any scenic place/wildlife park one the way where I can take a halt ?

Thanks.
Old 19th February 2011, 09:09   #2
BHPian

re: Pune - Coimbatore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdude View Post
How is the route from Pune to Coimbatore ?
Route goes through Pune - Satara - Kohlapur - Belgaum - Hubli - Chitradurga - Tumkur - Bangalore- Hosur - Krishnagiri - Salem - Avinashi - Coimbatore, all big towns byepassed.
Route is good 4-laned all the way except some delays expected near Devanagere in KA and beyond Avinashi in TN, say < 50KM totally.
Old 19th February 2011, 09:33   #3
BHPian

Hi,

Route 1 (Based on google maps + imagination)
Pune - Jog Falls (586 Kms) Stay @ Stay@matthuga :: Home Stay Near Jog Falls - Sagar, Jog Falls Holiday, Jog Falls Hotels, Resort Near Jog Falls, Accommodation Near Jog Falls, Lodging Near Jog Falls
If you start early morning you should be able to find some time to spend @ Jog.

Jog Falls - Mysore (via Shimoga 352 Kms)
Mysore - Coimbatore (204 Kms via Chamrajnagar) OR
Mysore - Coimbatore (217 Kms via Ooty)
TOTAL 1153 KMS

Route 2 Pune-Dharwad-Davanagare-Chitradurga-Tumkur-Kunigal-Kollegal-Chamrajnagar-Coimbatore
TOTAL 1099 KMS

You can take the route via B'lore as mentioned in the earlier post, depends on your personal choice (Scenic route VS Long highway stretches) TOTAL 1198 KMS

HVK ji, please let us know how the road conditions are?

Last edited by Skyline GT-R : 19th February 2011 at 09:43. Reason: 1 more option added
Old 19th February 2011, 18:28   #4
BANNED

Do click a lot of pictures. And where is the ownership thread?
Old 19th February 2011, 19:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

The advanatge of the Bangalore route is that you can have 4-laned superfast beauties all the way. Ideally, you can halt at Hosur for the night. Needless to say, an aggressive driver can also reach Coimbatore the same day with an early morning start and limited stops. Take NICE Road to bypass Bangalore.

The route via Shimoga has the disadvantage that HOnnali-Shimoga often has bad roads and after Shimoga it is 2-laned roads. Further, you will also have to tackle not-so-good roads between Channarayapatna and Mysore and the Nanjangud-Chamarajnagar road is also not so good. You will arrive in Coimbatore via Dimbam and Sathyamangalam, via some congested roads (after Sathyamangalam). However, you want a scenic place to stop over for the night? I would suggest you take a detour from Tarikere via Chickmagalur, spend the night there and go via Belur & Hassan to Mysore.
Old 24th February 2011, 17:10   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The advanatge of the Bangalore route is that you can have 4-laned superfast beauties all the way. Ideally, you can halt at Hosur for the night. Needless to say, an aggressive driver can also reach Coimbatore the same day with an early morning start and limited stops. Take NICE Road to bypass Bangalore.

The route via Shimoga has the disadvantage that HOnnali-Shimoga often has bad roads and after Shimoga it is 2-laned roads. Further, you will also have to tackle not-so-good roads between Channarayapatna and Mysore and the Nanjangud-Chamarajnagar road is also not so good. You will arrive in Coimbatore via Dimbam and Sathyamangalam, via some congested roads (after Sathyamangalam). However, you want a scenic place to stop over for the night? I would suggest you take a detour from Tarikere via Chickmagalur, spend the night there and go via Belur & Hassan to Mysore.
Occupants of my Xylo will be spouse, kids aged 5 and 7 and parents aged 66 and 72. Will it be very hot during May ? I don't mind taking couple of extra stops to make things more comfortable for kids and seniors. Is this kind of a long drive in May advisable ?

I have the DVD installed to keep kids occupied.

I recently did Pune-Goa without any trouble and in fact enjoyed driving the Xylo.

I don't mind taking the train, but obviously everything is on wait list already for May.

Thanks.
Old 24th February 2011, 17:19   #7
Team-BHP Support

Strong AC very essential. Western ghats may also not be good as it would be nearing monsoon and it may get bit humid.

Better to cover the distance as fast as possible with the required breaks.
Old 24th February 2011, 18:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Occupants of my Xylo will be spouse, kids aged 5 and 7 and parents aged 66 and 72. Will it be very hot during May ? I don't mind taking couple of extra stops to make things more comfortable for kids and seniors. Is this kind of a long drive in May advisable ?

I have the DVD installed to keep kids occupied.

I recently did Pune-Goa without any trouble and in fact enjoyed driving the Xylo.

I don't mind taking the train, but obviously everything is on wait list already for May.

Thanks.
+1 to what Ampere said,May would be hot,but nothing that a Xylo cant handle,the mid afternoons might be bad,so start early around 3-4am,stay the night at Hosur by taking the NICE road as HVK has already indicated or much earlier at Davangere, if parents are not comfy sitting for long periods.Bangalore to CBE would take you around 7 hours.Sarovar Renaissance at Hosur on NH7 is a good place to halt.
Old 24th February 2011, 19:33   #9
BHPian

golfdude, go with what hvk has adviced he is seriously the national wanderer on this forum, my 2 cents when I just did Pune Bangalore a couple of months ago is NH4 is pretty much done except a couple of places near Haveri the railway crossing is still underconstruction (Tolls might take some time, near Kolhapur) and normally Bangalore Pune is a 13 hours affair, start early, if you take more halts should extend to 15 hours, stay near Hosur if you plan to extend the journey but Pune Coimbatore can be done within a day in a Xylo.
Old 24th February 2011, 23:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Yes, as our friends have said, you will be surprised how much of ground you can cover on NH4, the road is fantastic barring a few hiccups here and there (like near Ranebennur). Keep a referencer of hotels en route so that you can halt for the night in case you find the drive to Hosur too long or anyone in the car feels uncomfortable with stretching it. Hotel choices include Hotel Pooja International (Davangere), Hotel Ravi Mayur (Chitradurga). Unfortunately, I don;t think Tumkur has any decent hotels, else that would have been another choice.
Old 25th February 2011, 11:00   #11
BHPian

@Golfdude.

Hi. I am also planning a trip to Alleppey in May (6th May 2011 to be precise) and was wondering on the route to take. Mostly will be taking the NH4 till Tumkur and then Kunigal etc to Coimbatore and further on to Alleppey.
When is your trip planned for??

Cheers.
Old 25th February 2011, 13:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyb View Post
@Golfdude.

Hi. I am also planning a trip to Alleppey in May (6th May 2011 to be precise) and was wondering on the route to take. Mostly will be taking the NH4 till Tumkur and then Kunigal etc to Coimbatore and further on to Alleppey.
When is your trip planned for??

Cheers.
Referring to another thread that you have already started,on the same topic,if you are driving till Tumkur,then I would suggest that you stick onto NH4 and then NICE Road and then NH7 all the way till Salem-Dindigul.

From Dindigul,take the route via Theni-Bodi(NH220) and head to Munnar.Once you are done with your stay at Munnar,head down to Kovalam via the MC Road(Pathanthitta-Kotarakkara-TVM).

From Kovalam take the NH47 and head back to Alleppey-Kumarakom.From Kumarakom,take the NH47 till Edappally and then onto NH17 and head straight to Udupi and then onto Sawantwadi.The only gain from this route is that you wouldnt be retracing any of your paths as compared to your plan on the other thread.
Old 5th March 2011, 08:29   #13
BHPian

Hello,

I have changed my plans. Besides Coimbatore, I will also be visiting Cochin, Munnar, Thekkady, etc. in Kerala plus Kodaikanal in TN.

In that case, should I first travel to Cochin from Pune and then to Coimbatore and back to Pune.

If possible I would also like to visit Mysore and the Kabini River Lodge (in KN ?) on the way ?

My travel dates are May 2nd till May 18th so I guess I have enough days.

Please advice.

Thanks.
Old 5th March 2011, 10:17   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hello,

I have changed my plans. Besides Coimbatore, I will also be visiting Cochin, Munnar, Thekkady, etc. in Kerala plus Kodaikanal in TN.

In that case, should I first travel to Cochin from Pune and then to Coimbatore and back to Pune.

If possible I would also like to visit Mysore and the Kabini River Lodge (in KN ?) on the way ?

My travel dates are May 2nd till May 18th so I guess I have enough days.

Please advice.

Thanks.
The Sequence I think should be:

1. Pune-Munnar/Thekkady-Cochin-CBE-Mysore/Kabini-Pune

If you want to omit Mysore/Kabini then the sequence is:

Pune-CBE-Cochin-Munnar/Thekkady-Kodai-BLR-Pune

Why I mention the second option is because I thought it may an over kill to visit all these places in one go, as it would hot.
May be you can also omit Kodai, since you would do Munnar.

From Munnar you can drive to Mysore.

Pune-CBE-Cochin-Munnar/Thekkady-Mysore (via CBE)-Pune

This also gives another flexibility of choosing to vsit CBE on the return as well. We can discuss routes, once you choose the places to visit.

Last edited by ampere : 5th March 2011 at 10:20.
Old 7th March 2011, 16:55   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The Sequence I think should be:

1. Pune-Munnar/Thekkady-Cochin-CBE-Mysore/Kabini-Pune

If you want to omit Mysore/Kabini then the sequence is:

Why I mention the second option is because I thought it may an over kill to visit all these places in one go, as it would hot.
May be you can also omit Kodai, since you would do Munnar.

From Munnar you can drive to Mysore.

Pune-CBE-Cochin-Munnar/Thekkady-Mysore (via CBE)-Pune

This also gives another flexibility of choosing to vsit CBE on the return as well. We can discuss routes, once you choose the places to visit.

I can do the following route as suggested:

I was assuming except for Cochin the other places like Munnar, Kodai will be lot cooler so we will not be traveling in the heat throughout.

I will be leaving Pune on may 2nd and returning on 18th. Don't I have enough days to add Mysore/Kabini ? Also when in Cochin I would like to do Alleppey backwaters in the house boat. So if possible I would like to do this:

Pune-CBE-Cochin-Munnar/Thekkady/Alleppey-Kodai-Mysore/Kabini-Pune.

Or is this sequence better:

Pune-Munnar/Thekkady/Alleppey-Cochin-CBE-Kodai-Mysore/Kabini-Pune

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks