Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2011, 15:08   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Unfinished Journey- Trip to Kailash Mansarovar via the MEA Route

Deky regarding GPS, you do not require to use GPS for route finding. All you want to do is log your route.
So best for you would be to buy a 100,000 point GPS logger from dealextreme or ebay. It costs 50$.
It takes AAA battery, and one Duracell can log for 10-12 hours.
Eg
$71.22 - Holux M-241 Bluetooth GPS Receiver + Data Logger (1xAA Battery/MTK Chipset/130,000 Waypoints) - GPS Gadgets

It says 71$ but on ebay you can find similar units for 50-60$

It will suffice for your requirement.
Old 8th April 2011, 15:48   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

@tsk1979 : Something similar to what I suggested. BUT the device i have suggested is having huge memory (120MB or something like that). During rallies we record many days of data on single device for the whole day with one second pulse.

@decky : No learning curve. Two buttons. One to switch on or off. Other to make geo-tags. Every time you take a picture also press on this button and it is recorded as a waypoint. Back home link your pictures with geo-tags (waypoints).

If you are able to have spare AAA cells (or rechargeable ones with solar/electric option) then not only you can geotag pictures you can also have complete track of your journey as a log file(s).

Holux ones work with single AAA cell but battery runs out faster as they have a LCD display and bluetooth. Amod does not have any display and download is via USB cable.

But either ways it would make your travelogue a mine of information for future travellers. If you keep a small note book you can also record interesting notes and geo tag them.
Old 10th April 2011, 21:42   #18
BHPian

Hi Deky,

I asked my dad about the bags. He said as of now, there is no plan regarding the same. In case something comes up, I shall inform you accordingly.

Tapish
Old 11th April 2011, 12:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
Hi Deky,
I asked my dad about the bags. He said as of now, there is no plan regarding the same. In case something comes up, I shall inform you accordingly.
Tapish
Thank you Tapish for checking with your Dad. I have come to know that not KMVN but some private NGO's provide some complimentary stuff like rucksacks, windcheater's, waist pouch etc etc. But I dont think I will bank on them, I will do my own preparations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
You can use your Nokia phone to record your location. Your phone will have feature to take photos with geo-tagging. That solves all your issues of recording. You can carry cellphone charges which use normal AAA or AA batteries. Also, you can buy 1-2 battries of your nokia. As per my expirenece, GPS locking takes 2-3 mins min in Nokia and then to take couple of pictures another 1 min. 1 min to power-on and power-off.

hence you wil use your phone 5-6 mins everytime. If you take 1 photo every hour, thats 144 mins ie 3hrs max.

Try it now for couple of days and see how much it lasts.
Thanks for the advise. Why do I need geotagging of images? I think I will just store locations say 5 times a day on my phone and later plot them on the map. Photos I generally remember where I have taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Deky regarding GPS, you do not require to use GPS for route finding. All you want to do is log your route.
It will suffice for your requirement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
@decky : No learning curve. Two buttons. One to switch on or off. Other to make geo-tags. Every time you take a picture also press on this button and it is recorded as a waypoint. Back home link your pictures with geo-tags (waypoints).

If you are able to have spare AAA cells (or rechargeable ones with solar/electric option) then not only you can geotag pictures you can also have complete track of your journey as a log file(s).

But either ways it would make your travelogue a mine of information for future travellers. If you keep a small note book you can also record interesting notes and geo tag them.
Thank you Sudev and Tanveer for your suggestions.

I have decided to use my phone only for storing waypoints (co-ordinates) while trekking. I have ordered an extra battery for the phone and I think 2 batteries will last me for the entire trip as I plan to save places after every hour or two and switch off my phone while not in use.

Plus there are a few places in between where there are charging facilities available and I will be able to charge batteries if required.

Though a dedicated gps ( the ones that you suggested ) is an excellent option but I have decided not to use it for the following reasons.

1. If I store all the way points to log a route, the Chinese may think I am spying. Its very much possible as they are pretty unaccomadating towards Indians in Tibet. (my personal experience from last time)

2. Would not want to spend extra for any equipment. Though the option of borrowing is always there but I am never comfortable with that option. Thanks Sudev for the offer though.

3. How helpfull will be logging an entire route as compared to a say 3-4 co-ordinates in a day? Here a dedicated gps would score a lot, but as we do only app 10kms trek in a around 8 hours, so waypoints after every 2 kms on a trek wont be that bad.

Thanks for all the help guys. As of now 99% I will take my phone.

Regards
Old 24th April 2011, 12:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

Help on Clothing

I more or less know what to carry for myself for this trip in the Tibet side. But for the Indian side and that is 15+ days I am a bit confused.

Since I will be doing this trip between 16th July and 14th August, the monsoon will be at its peak in Uttrakhand. Plus this trek goes through areas where there are lots of waterfalls falling straight on you regardless, if its raining or not.

I will request you guys to suggest me on the following points. Please keep in mind that I will already be spending a bomb on the trip, so I would like to know the cheapest yet a quality solution.

1. RAIN COAT FOR MYSELF: I already have a Quechua poncho for myself. One good thing with the poncho is that it will cover the small bag pack on me during rain, but the down side is that it only comes till my knees, hence the probability of my pants getting wet (under the knees) are pretty high. What do I do? Do I go in for just a rain coat pant or something?

2. RAIN PROTECTION FOR MY SHOES : I will be carrying 2 shoes, 1 trekking + 1 normal, but I dont want my shoes to get wet. Is there a method of saving your shoes from rain, as during monsoons it is very difficult to dry the shoes.
Please do not suggest tying polythene to the shoes as you guys will agree they dont work.

3. RAIN PROTECTION FOR LUGGAGE : Apart from a small bagpack on me I plan to carry a duffle bag that will be hauled on mules and ponies. I can save the bag pack under my poncho but how do I save the duffle bag on the ponies in case of rain? The KMY yatra advises covering it with a plastic sheet. Is that a good way of doing it or is there a better way than that. For this I would want a fool proof arrangement as I do not want all my clothes to get wet. Damp clothes can get fungus and then they become intolerable:(

4. WINTER WEAR : I do not expect a lot of snowfall in higher reaches. But at Lipulekh pass and in the Tibetan Plateau the chilled winds can be somewhat torturous.

I have good winter wear from neck and below i.e gloves, jacket, thermals, warm pants etc etc. I need something above the neck. Well I do have a nice warm cap plus a muffler for the neck.

But instead of a cap + muffler do you think a monkey cap/ balakalava will be a good investment? Or is there a better substitute than that also?

I am open to all suggestions however basic and stupid they may sound because I have no idea about the above points hence the basic of the basic suggestions may come in handy for me.

I am also open to suggestions as to where I can purchase/ rent the above items.

Thanks and regards
Old 15th May 2011, 12:14   #21
BHPian

Hi Deky,

You can go with the following items:
1. Rain pants + a couple of quick-dry trousers shall see you through most of the journey.
2. There is no way to save your shoes from rain. the only respite can be to take a rubber sandal/shoe to be worn in the rain. I agree that it will be cold but wet shoes/socks are more dangerous.
3. You can use the kind of waterproof bags that rafting guides use to keep the valuables. It can be easily found at any trekking equipment shop for 500-600.
4. Winter wear: to avoid wind, a windcheater would do. is very effective and will also save you from the rain. since it is very thin, it won't take much space in your luggage too.

As for the monkey cap, a cap + muffler is better since it is more versatile. A muffler can be used as a scarf to protect your neck and chest too. It can just be worn over the pullover to give that snug feeling.

Most of these items can be purchased from Dharchula, but I would suggest that you come prepared from your place.

Hope this helps
Old 10th July 2011, 13:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

With just 5 days remaining before I leave for Delhi for the start of this trek there are lots of preparations by me that are complete but then there is one and which is the most important one that has not even started.

The preparation that hasnt even started is exercising I did start swimming but could only manage 7 days as after that I had to undergo a nose operation (DNS) so had to leave after that. But one good thing while I swam was that from the start itself I could do 15 laps of a 50 mtr swimming pool.

I am not even mentioning that I tried but could not reduce my smoking. So lets see what happens. My plan is to go till the India- Tibet border and see if I am not upto it then turn back and return. Will atleast save the 750$ + that has to be given to the Chinese.

Anyway I am quite hopefull to make it this time so am thoroughly optimistic. Hope this optimism and not over confidence
Old 10th July 2011, 13:34   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Wishing you all the best for your journey. 15 laps of a 50m pool from someone who smokes means a lot!
Old 15th July 2011, 12:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

Leaving today for Delhi for medicals and visa and what not. The actual journey starts on the 18th July and will return on the 14th August!! More excited about being able to walk/ trek into a foreign country than anything else. And ofcourse the charm of Himalayas, the North side and the South side both and also the Mansarovar lake and the.....Oh well looking forward to the entire trip

See you guys on the 15th. Thank you all for the inputs!!

regards

Last edited by deky : 15th July 2011 at 12:40.
Old 15th July 2011, 12:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

Have a safe trip! Pray for us too
Old 15th July 2011, 14:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

All the best deky.Hope you have a wonderful trip and loads of blessing for finishing the trip.
Old 15th July 2011, 15:12   #27
BHPian

All the best and have a safe trip, Will be waiting for the 15th, to get a first hand......err second hand feel of this awesome place/trip.
Old 15th July 2011, 15:21   #28
BHPian

All the very best Dhiraj. I am sure you will do well and complete the parikrama this time. How many people would Lord Shiva grant a second chance? We can count them literally. You are one among the few with special care from above and he ain't giving you the second chance to return from Tibet border. Your swimming lap count certainly proves it.

Your pictures were fabulous in the last trip and I am sure you are going to get even better views this time around. Eagerly waiting for it.
Old 15th July 2011, 15:23   #29
BHPian

Deky,
You are fortunate to take this trip again. Enjoy to the core. Post travelogue after you are back
Old 15th July 2011, 16:50   #30
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

All the best. Happy Journey !!

We all expect a detailed travelogue in mid August. Have fun.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks