Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2011, 07:25   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Cochin - Kodaikanal (Eat outs, Route)

@klub_klass, Yes that is the road I was referring to. Since I was not sure of its current status, I did not recommend it.
Old 9th April 2011, 09:14   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

@jack - Guess this route is not through Munnar right? Can you let me know the details of this route. The distance looks tempting as the other route is around 330 kms. Also, on seeing the road condition of the other route, I dont feel like taking it.
Old 9th April 2011, 11:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
@jack33 - When I checked google maps it showed around 400kms from Cochin-Munnar-Kodai and the usual route is around 330kms. Is this right? Am confused now.
I think there seems to be some mistake there. Cochin-Munnar-Bodi-Batlagundu-Kodai should be around 300kms maximum.

The route suggested by jack33 will save you some 15 kms plus avoid the climb to Munnar and the descent from there to Bodimettu. You need to deviate from NH49 at Adimali (It's a right fork towards Rajakkadu-Rajakumari, shouldn't be too difficult to find, ask locals for directions there if you get confused), and you rejoin the same NH at Pooppara, so basically it just bypasses Munnar/Devikulam. I'm not sure of the current road conditions though - A friend who had taken this route a couple of years back had told me the roads were OK.
Old 9th April 2011, 20:51   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
@jack - Guess this route is not through Munnar right? Can you let me know the details of this route. The distance looks tempting as the other route is around 330 kms. Also, on seeing the road condition of the other route, I dont feel like taking it.
Naveen i don't know about the present condition of Vatalkund to kodai.It was okay when i went there in 2009.Had done Cochin-Vatalkund last month and roads were pretty good barring some narrow section between Adimaly and Rajakkad.
Old 9th April 2011, 21:28   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack33 View Post
Naveen i don't know about the present condition of Vatalkund to kodai.It was okay when i went there in 2009.Had done Cochin-Vatalkund last month and roads were pretty good barring some narrow section between Adimaly and Rajakkad.
I think the road was always decent. Its just that one needs to be aware of state bus drivers who come from the opposite side real fast and quick. That is a bigger problem.
Old 12th April 2011, 11:38   #21
BHPian

Me and wifey decided to spend time in Kodaikanal for my daughter's first birthday in May, away from Bangalore, in a nice little cool place. Do any of the above mentioned places sell nice Birthday cakes ?
Old 14th April 2011, 17:16   #22
NGM
BHPian

Naveen,Another route which you can consider is Cochin -Kanjirapalli-Mundakkayam-Kumily-Cumbum-Theni-Kodaikanal.It is around 330 km.I have'nt travelled in this route,but heard that road is reasonably good.I have travelled till peerumade(half way~150Km) recently and it is in good shape.
Heard about ferncreek from trip advisor,but culd'nt get the booking as it was full. So share your experience after your trip.
Old 15th April 2011, 11:11   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crkishore View Post
Me and wifey decided to spend time in Kodaikanal for my daughter's first birthday in May, away from Bangalore, in a nice little cool place. Do any of the above mentioned places sell nice Birthday cakes ?
Daily Bread on Anna Salai near the Bus Stand for some delicious home made breads, cakes, muffins, rolls and Ice Cream.
Old 15th April 2011, 13:11   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
Naveen,Another route which you can consider is Cochin -Kanjirapalli-Mundakkayam-Kumily-Cumbum-Theni-Kodaikanal.It is around 330 km.I have'nt travelled in this route,but heard that road is reasonably good.I have travelled till peerumade(half way~150Km) recently and it is in good shape.
Heard about ferncreek from trip advisor,but culd'nt get the booking as it was full. So share your experience after your trip.
Thanks for the info dude. I think I might take the usual route. Yep, heard about Fern Creek from trip advisor. Great reviews, so thought of staying there. Will update the route and experience after the trip.
Old 21st April 2011, 20:59   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Last minute change. Going to Munnar tomorrow. An overnight stay then off to Kodai on Sat morning.
Will keep thread updated.
Old 27th April 2011, 10:04   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Back from the trip. There was a lot of confusion on the road conditions. Here's an update. Roads are in excellent condition. A small section in the ghat section is under repair. It's a small section near the 11th hairpin. Some pics. Check my travelogue which will be updated in a day.
Attached Thumbnails
Cochin - Kodaikanal (Eat outs, Route)-img00530201104261213.jpg  

Cochin - Kodaikanal (Eat outs, Route)-img00531201104261213.jpg  

Old 17th May 2013, 15:45   #27

Cochin to Kodaikanal-Route advice required

Hi Bhpians,

I am planning to go a trip to Kodaikanal next weekend with my family (wife and 2 kids). I wanted some sugestions/advice regarding the best//easiest route from Cochin to Kodaikanal (not interested to go via munnar). I have never been there before. I did search the forum for relevant details but the messages related to this subject were a bit old, I would like some inputs from people to have traveled lately. Also if someone could suggest a good hotel or homestay/cottage which would be around Rs.1500-2000/day, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Prem
Old 17th May 2013, 17:34   #28
Team-BHP Support

Re: Cochin to Kodaikanal-Route advice required

Quote:
Originally Posted by prem456 View Post
Hi Bhpians,
I am planning to go a trip to Kodaikanal next weekend with my family (wife and 2 kids). I wanted some sugestions/advice regarding the best//easiest route from Cochin to Kodaikanal (not interested to go via munnar). I have never been there before.
One option is to go via Trichur-Pollachi-Udumalpet-Palani-Kodai
The other option is go via Kanjirapally-Theni-Vatlagundu-Kodai
Both ways distance are almost the same.
Old 17th May 2013, 18:07   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Bhpians,

I am planning to go a trip to Kodaikanal next weekend with my family (wife and 2 kids). I wanted some sugestions/advice regarding the best//easiest route from Cochin to Kodaikanal (not interested to go via munnar). I have never been there before. I did search the forum for relevant details but the messages related to this subject were a bit old, I would like some inputs from people to have traveled lately. Also if someone could suggest a good hotel or homestay/cottage which would be around Rs.1500-2000/day, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Prem
I dont know what vehicle you drive. But if you want to have some fun and own an SUV/crossover, you can try koch/i-chalakudy-athirapally-valparai-pollachi-udumalpet-kodai route. I dont know the present condition of the athirapally-valparai section. May be you can do it in a sedan now.
Old 17th May 2013, 19:59   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Bhpians,

Thanks
Prem
My reccomendation would be to take one while going and come back via the other.

kochi-wadakancheri-pazhayannur-alathur-kollengode-govindapuram-pollachi-udumulpet-palani-kodai

kodai-theni-bodi-poopara-rajakkad-kothamangalam-kochi

For stay within your budget,you could check out the following places:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hotel-...83432365121753

www.pineboroughinn.com

www.Dalethorpe.com & www.cinnabar.in

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks