Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2006, 00:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan
"[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]But again, there is nothing to beat the Baleno for no-nonsense transportation and in the Indian context, well, it beat the City 1.5 in a straight drag in our comparison test"[/SIZE][/FONT]
Well, the mind still dosent agree. But gotto agree with the mags report.
Old 30th January 2006, 19:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen
Well, the mind still dosent agree. But gotto agree with the mags report.
Just to make it more complicated...Accent tornado is 104 Bhp, OH?C 1.5 is 100 BHP and Baleno 94 BHP Baleno is still the fastest in a drag...
[SIZE=2]In fact according to a recent ACI Comparo..the Baleno is 4 sec faster to 140 kmph compared to the accent tornado???[/SIZE]..so horses arent everything !

Last edited by Buffetfan : 30th January 2006 at 19:48.
Old 30th January 2006, 19:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan
Just to make it more complicated...Accent tornado is 104 Bhp, OH?C 1.5 is 100 BHP and Baleno 94 BHP Baleno is still the fastest in a drag...so horses arent everything !
Even the Fiat 100bhp's are slower in the drag, aren't they ? And the 104BHP Optra ? But then they lug more weight around.
Old 30th January 2006, 19:51   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
Even the Fiat 100bhp's are slower in the drag, aren't they ? And the 104BHP Optra ? But then they lug more weight around.
yop...but here the weight is very similar
Old 30th January 2006, 19:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

korean horses are malnourished ....they are not as strong as japanese horses
Old 30th January 2006, 23:11   #21
BHPian

Quote:
korean horses are malnourished ....they are not as strong as japanese horses
he he...that's a good one.

Anyway i would like to compare both the OHC 1.5 and the Baleno very closely.. The OHC 1.5 sometimes feels more quicker, but then the Baleno pulls away faster. The Baleno might loose at the higher rpm's but then it pulls away effortlessly at the lower rpms.

It should be a close call..without any significant difference that the normal driver would be able to discern.

But i do know that- in city(pun unintended), the Baleno is much more pleasant to drive and also rides much better than the OHC 1.5 anyday.

So consider your driving style and where're you'll be driving most of the time.

Last edited by imjimmy : 30th January 2006 at 23:12.
Old 31st January 2006, 00:16   #22
Team-BHP Support

well if you're fine with then baleno's exterior then be sure to be amzed by the other stuff, as to me only the loos of a baleno are a let down.
baleno all the way, would have been slightly tricky if you pit it against a 1.5 ohc, but even then the baleno would be much better for usual city driving, and this comes from a 1.5 ohc owner.

manson.
Old 31st January 2006, 01:15   #23

Thanks guys

Hey All,

Thank you all for the responses. Varied as they are, I thoroughly enjoyed reading each & every one of them. The only problem is that I am more confused now than ever before...LOL

Let me outline the kind of mods I plan to do to this car so the comparison can be done with all of this in mind -

Free Flow Exhaust
Air Filter Change
Tyres & Alloys (If not there already)
Cosmetic Mods - Leather Interiors with chut mut stuff here & there.

Anyway, heres what I make of this so far. The OHC 1.3 is out of the race & the competition is now between the OHC 1.5, OHC V-Tec and the Baleno. The budget has been re-aligned to about 3 - 3.5 L (Given the mods I want to do). I have added a little comparison below based on my understanding of the varied responses on this thread. Please feel free to disagree where you feel it is called for -

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]OHC 1.5[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]OHC V-Tec[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]Baleno[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]FE (City Driving with AC)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]12-to-14 [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=5][COLOR=#000000]??[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=5][COLOR=#000000]??[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]Responsiveness (LOW RPM)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]Loses to The V-Tec as
well as the Baleno[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]Wins over the OHC 1.5
but loses to the Baleno[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]Wins over both, the 1.5
as well as the V-Tec[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]Responsiveness (HIGH RPM)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]Beats the Baleno but
loses to the OHC V-Tec[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]Beats both, the 1.5 as
well as the Baleno[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]"Comparable" but the jury is out on this one. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]Comfort (Seats)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]Loses to the Baleno[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]Baleno wins (Someone mentioned that the
seats are more comfortable on the Baleno.
Anybody willing to second that opinion ?)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]Interiors[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]All 3 suck[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]Suspension[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Baleno Wins. (Differences of opinion welcome)[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]Maintenance (Regular Wear & Tear)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]I cant compare with a low or high tag on this as the definition of
"High / Low Maintenance" may vary from Individual to individual
so lets say that the Baleno wins considering it is from the Maruti Stable[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]Maintenance (Engine - Long Term)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]From the Honda Stable. No need to Worry[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=5][COLOR=#000000]???[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Look forward to the replies folks !!

Oh & did I mention that this forum absolutely ROCKS !!
Old 31st January 2006, 02:45   #24
Team-BHP Support

the filter and a good free flow job should make the hondas much more driveable in the lower rpm s, so that just makes it better for the hondas. the baleno has a much better ride though.
and in a budget of 3.5 a vtec would be impossible, so keep it for a 2000-2001 1.5 ohc or save some money and pick up a similar vintage baleno. you just can't go wrong with either of these cars.

manson.
Old 31st January 2006, 03:44   #25

Oops

Sorry guys... that didnt come out quite right ! Heres the comparison in a simpler format. Only between the V-Tec and the Baleno though on second thoughts. Still got a few question marks in the comparison that I need your help on -

FE (City Driving with AC) OHC V-Tec : 12-to-14, Baleno - ?
Responsiveness (LOW RPM) - Baleno Wins. Correct ?
Responsiveness (HIGH RPM) - Tthe jury is out on this one.
Comfort (Seats) - Baleno wins (Someone mentioned that the seats are more comfortable on the Baleno. Anybody willing to second that opinion ?)
Interiors- Both suck
Suspension - Baleno Wins. (Differences of opinion welcome)
Maintenance (Regular Wear & Tear) - I cant compare with a low or high tag on this as the definition of "High / Low Maintenance" may vary from Individual to individual
so lets say that the Baleno wins considering it is from the Maruti Stable
Maintenance (Engine / Long Term) - The V-Tec is from From the Honda Stable. No need to Worry, Baleno ??

Old 31st January 2006, 08:58   #26
BHPian

Honda is always Honda. Maruti cannot match. And you won't be utlilizing Baleno's power 99% of time. On any day Honda has more resale value than Baleno. Go for City 1.3 . You won't regret it. Just bargain and bring it down to 3.6.

Here an idea. Speak to your friend frankly about your reservation on price. Take the car and your friend to atleast 3 used car dealer. Get the quote from them. Take the average and pay 7.5 K more to your friend.
Old 31st January 2006, 09:52   #27
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

ANS : expect the same from the baleno , depends on driving stlye too ..
ANS : yes baleno wins hands down for low end torque ..
Responsiveness (HIGH RPM) - The jury is out on this one.
ANS : Well both cars are good at this ..
Comfort (Seats) - Baleno wins (Someone mentioned that the seats are more comfortable on the Baleno. Anybody willing to second that opinion ?)
ANS : yes the seats of the baleno are among the best u get .. give u an excellent grip ..
Interiors- Both suck
ANS : yes thats true ..
Suspension - Baleno Wins. (Differences of opinion welcome)
ANS : yes compared to the OHC baleno does fare better in this dept .. However a good aftermarket suspension work on the OHC should solve this issue ..
Maintenance (Regular Wear & Tear) - I cant compare with a low or high tag on this as the definition of "High / Low Maintenance" may vary from Individual to individual
so lets say that the Baleno wins considering it is from the Maruti Stable
ANS : depends from driver to driver and how one maintains it .. And ya being a maruti does mean cheaper spares and better service across the country .. However heard the OHC matches it in every department too ..
Maintenance (Engine / Long Term) - The V-Tec is from From the Honda Stable. No need to Worry, Baleno ??
ANS : like i said earlier , u wont have any problems with the baleno whatsoever ..

Old 31st January 2006, 10:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

Having a Baleno myself, could attempt to answer some of the following queries :

Ans : 12kmpl in city, 17kmpl on highways (both figures with a/c).

Ans : Absolutely.

Comfort (Seats) - Baleno wins
Ans : The Baleno seats are really good.
Old 31st January 2006, 11:36   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkothan
And you won't be utlilizing Baleno's power 99% of time.
Well actually one does end up using the low end torque a lot .. if not top end power.

Quote:
Here an idea. Speak to your friend frankly about your reservation on price. Take the car and your friend to atleast 3 used car dealer. Get the quote from them. Take the average and pay 7.5 K more to your friend.
That is a lovely idea ! Very fair ...
Old 31st January 2006, 14:15   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice idea and fair too. But, could not understand the significance of adding 7.5K.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks