Laura TSi (12.2 OTR) 25 43.10%
Optra TCDi (8.9 OTR) 33 56.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2011, 03:45   #16
BHPian

Re: Confused, What to Buy: Laura TSi or Optra Magnum TCDi

Hey Torq,
Other than the 160 bhp, I don't think there is anything else that has "really" interested you.

With the 3.3L savings, you can have the Pete's installed (or have a remap) and get the 121 bhp boosted to around 160 (and the current 320 Nm torque to around 400) - all this at a cost of around 40K. So you still save around 2.8L, and have a monster on your hands!

To top this up, the price difference between Diesel and Petrol will also be substantial considering that you intend to drive around a bit!

So, reading your posts and reviews, the Optra will ideally suit you!

Whatever you choose, all the best!
Old 12th July 2011, 07:28   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hey RS_DEL,

Care to share the path to 15% pa return on fellow Tbhpians money.
I work in the equity markets, as a trader. That should explain my statement about my target rate of return.
Old 12th July 2011, 08:03   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

As you have pointed out in your opening post the 1.8 TSI motor of the Laura is the USP of the car, and that is what you get in Laura Classic. Compared to Ambiente, you hardly miss out on any features. The ones that come to mind are the alloys, fog lamps and the rear AC vent. Its basically what you want out of your car. The Laura TSI will deliver that smile on your face that very few cars this side of 13 Lakhs can. Its ride is much more sorted than the Optra, is built solidly,refined and is very quiet on the inside. The petrol Laura is very reliable as well. I haven't come across any bugs on this forum since its launch. As far as Skoda A.S.S is concerned, they are a bit notorious, but worth taking the risk. The numbers are improving for Skoda which definitely will help in getting spares etc....

The 15,000 Kms/ 1 year service interval is standard for VW group these days and nothing to worry.

I just feel the Laura has more to offer than the Optra, but its more expensive too. The fuel it drinks will further add to your cost. As I said, its what you as a buyer want from your ride.
Old 12th July 2011, 09:16   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster
If the Skoda dealer in your town has a good reputation or you know him personally, go for Skoda. Else stay clear- there are enough horror stories on the forums.

I am curious- there is simply no contest choosing between an Optra Magnum diesel and a Skoda TSI petrol. Normally you worry about buying a diesel car because it costs about a lac more than the equivalent diesel. In this case, the diesel is 3.3 lac cheaper. And the fuel price difference is stupendous as well. Resale loss on a lower priced vehicle will obviously be less as well. And you seem to like the Magnum (I don't, but have a couple of friends who swear by it).

Why are you even thinking? Opt for the cheaper car, to buy and maintain. Worst case, you don't like it you can sell it off and upgrade. If you end up not liking the Laura, you'll regret it all your life!

edit: please check the fine print carefully before falling for any "celebrations offers". Companies are not stupid- they do bargain sales for a reason!
Noopster - I don't really know the Dealer as such.

Basically the reason why I am thinking about the Laura is, the price that it is being offered - 12.2 OTR is a deal for this beast.

Thanks a bunch for the advice on the "Celebration Offer" as Libran has also pointed out, there might be some catches in there.

Happy Motoring !!
Old 12th July 2011, 09:23   #20
BHPian

Hi. Laura is a heart over head decision (I chose this and got myself a TSI in June), while Optra is a head over heart decision!

Wish you happy motoring with whatever you choose!!
Old 12th July 2011, 09:52   #21
BHPian

Is there even a contest here? Who in their right minds want to compare a Laura with Optra, let alone the engines for a moment. Laura is built 2 times tougher if not more, a modern current international model with terrific safety standards, completely well sorted ride and handling package with accurate steering feedback, 3 times better plusher interiors, all this without even getting into the engines. Close your eyes and get the Laura if you got the budget.
Old 12th July 2011, 10:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

Optra if it is your hard earned money.
Laura if it is your father's hard earned money

More seriously, it does depend a LOT on how much you are comfortable spending on your car. What is 'worth' it for one may not be so for another. Not sure if Laura offers enough value for the extra one is spending over and Optra, but I own neither. And what is of value to one may not be of value to another.

Also check this post. It is only one opinion, but of someone who has both an Optra and a Laura.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...tml#post667546

Another view:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...ml#post2425806
Old 12th July 2011, 11:02   #23
BHPian

The Optra makes more sense. Though The TSi Laura has a higher power output, the 3.3L premium, petrol prices and Skoda's infamous A-S-S are enough reasons to stay away from it.

Chevy's A-S-S may not be good but they certainly can't be as bad as Skoda. Of course, this depends on the Chevy/Skoda dealers in your city.
Old 12th July 2011, 11:05   #24
BHPian

Among the choices you have, it has to be Optra. Total VFM.

As someone who has been looking for a pre-owned (post 2008 model Magnum LT) since over 6-8 months, let me put the bad-resale-value-myth of Optra Magnum Diesel in perspective:

I have been religiously checking all the online sources / listings apart from going over the classifieds of Deccan Chronicle, Hyderabad first thing every morning looking for a post-2008 Optra Magnum Diesel LT Model. Apart from that I have also registered with 3 second hand car dealers where you pay 500 bucks and they will to show you atleast 3 cars as per your requirement.

More than 6 months, I did not come across ONE, even ONE Optra in the seconds market that was post 2008. Yes there are cars listed on several web sites, dealers and classifieds but they all are 2007 or prior models. The asking price for LS 2007 model with around 50k on Odo typically is around 5.5 lakhs to 6.00 lakhs and for LT model it is 5.75 to 6.75 lakhs.

I have now given up on going for a pre-owned car:

1. Because I cannot find any.
2. The no-resale-value-for-Optra is just that, a myth.

So, please go for Optra 2.0 Magnum TCDi
Old 12th July 2011, 11:12   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Thanks Brraj -

So basically you mean the Skoda is going to much more expensive to maintain?

Pardon me but could you please elaborate, the allrounder part on the Optra.

Happy Motoring !!
Laura is one car i would love to own but the main draw back i see is
- It gives < 5kmpl when you drive it spiritedly.
- Parts are costlier.

Forget about Laura TSI, In a teambhp drive a friend of mine who owns a stock Skoda RS got around 5kmpl just by following my boosted elantra crdi. More over RS is under powered compared to Laura TSI.

As i said if you can offered go ahead with laura TSI.

Magnum
- you can get 600kms/tank even if you are doing 150+.
- Parts are cheaper compared to TSI.
brraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 13:04   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

If want a cheaper car with space and running running costs as priority get the Magnum. Under the skin it is a dated car now, it's the same Rebadged Korean Daewoo car which competed with Octavia a decade back. Now even with a minor front job and rebadging as Magnum, it really cannot hide it's age undder the skin. Good part is- it's spacious, Rides really well and come with the proven Diesel engine(sourced from Detroit Diesel).

If Handling, Fun to Drive factor and overall driver involvement is what you seek, get the Laura TSi. TSi has diesel like 250nm torque available all across the powerband. It might feel expensive compared to Magnum but it is not really positioned in the same segment.

Why don't you look at the Cruze LT? It's more Modern, has better dynamics and has more power than the Magnum.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 13:12   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Laura is one car i would love to own but the main draw back i see is
- It gives < 5kmpl when you drive it spiritedly.
I would disagree with that. The Laura comes with a TSI engine. Whereas the Octy RS was TPI. TSI is newer tech, is more refined and delivers terrific power (with lesser lag) without sacrificing on FE. Any car driven spiritedly will affect FE. But I seriously doubt sub 5 kmpl on the Laura.

I have owned a Corolla for eight years and the now Laura TSI for the past two months. Just for comparison sake, the FE I have achieved on the Laura is about 8.50 ~ 9 kmpl in Bangalore city Vs. 9.5 ~ 10 kmpl on the Corolla with similar driving styles. On highways the figure goes up to 12 ~ 12.5 kmpl.
Old 12th July 2011, 14:45   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
If want a cheaper car with space and running running costs as priority get the Magnum. Under the skin it is a dated car now, it's the same Rebadged Korean Daewoo car which competed with Octavia a decade back. Now even with a minor front job and rebadging as Magnum, it really cannot hide it's age undder the skin. Good part is- it's spacious, Rides really well and come with the proven Diesel engine(sourced from Detroit Diesel).

If Handling, Fun to Drive factor and overall driver involvement is what you seek, get the Laura TSi. TSi has diesel like 250nm torque available all across the powerband. It might feel expensive compared to Magnum but it is not really positioned in the same segment.

Why don't you look at the Cruze LT? It's more Modern, has better dynamics and has more power than the Magnum.
Anshuman -

Thanks for the inputs.

Basically before I get down to the Cruze part, I would be thankful if you may have an insight on these couple of questions that I have:

1) A$$ - Which is better Chevy or Skoda?
2) Maintenance Cost: Would Chevy be cheaper to maintain in comparo with Skoda? Skoda claims a 15K service interval.

Now the Cruze part:

I have TD the Optra close to 8 times and the Cruze 3 times, here are my findings:

1) Optra has more space - Actually the per say "SPACE" part is not that important to me, but somehow the Cruze felt claustrophobic at the back.
The Optra had a better driving position as well.

2) Cruze is indeed a Diesel rocket but below the 1800 RPM mark it is dead meat, once beyond that mark, it pulls like a freight train, there is no stopping this BULL. The Turbo lag is much more prominent in the Cruze.

The Optra on the other hand, beyond it's turbo has that "WARP" like feeling which was missing on the Cruze.

3) Pricing part - for just 13 Nm of excess torque spending close to 4L extra (you do get the Airbags and ABS) did not much sense to me, the BHP is higher as well but what matters to me is the IN GEAR acceleration not the TOP END speed.

I did mention in a different thread that had there been a LS Cruze or a Cruze hatchback, I would have gone for it by now.
Old 12th July 2011, 14:58   #29
BHPian

@Santoshbhat - Good to know that you are from bangalore, Why dont you join bangy drives to know for yourself. Yes, you can get 12kmpl only if you are light footed. More over petrol prices rocketing to 100rs/lt in future is a reality. Again i stress if you have the dough go ahead with laura its one hell of a car.</br></br> More over petrol prices rocketing to 100rs/lt in future is a reality. Again i stress if you have the dough go ahead with laura its one hell of a car compared to magnum.

Last edited by brraj : 12th July 2011 at 15:28.
Old 12th July 2011, 15:01   #30
Senior - BHPian

Did you TD both the cars? I hope you have researched enough about both the cars on TBHP.

I recommend Cruze I do not recommend both your choices wait for the festive season post monsoon for the deals to be dished out the way Honda is slashing prices I am sure Civic too will become mouthwatering.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks