Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2011, 11:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: What do I do - Dzire D or Etios D ??

Well said drmohitg; These type of sites are coming up because some competitors are afraid, ok lets rephrase it, very very afraid of Toyota garnering strength in India. Till it was in upmarket/high price segment, they didn't have any issues. But the moment it has crept into their bread and butter zone, these type of things start. They (Toyota) have the capability, expertise and products to wipe out the big guns of Indian car market (Yes, even Suzuki) or at least giving them a run for their money, as they have done the world over but somehow they had always put India on a back-foot, until NOW.

OK, so I am a T fan. And not without reason, which my ownership threads amply prove - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...t-55000km.html & http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...uilt-last.html . After owning 3 Toyotas over the past 9 years, I can safely say, you just can't go wrong with a "T".

It really is a no-brainer - Go for Toyota Etios Diesel.

Last edited by dkaile : 15th September 2011 at 11:09.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 11:21   #17
BANNED

Notwithstanding what a few private sites may say about the Etios, I feel that the Dzire is a better bet for a few simple reasons.

The cost of spares at MUL is very affordable.
The car has established itself very well and still commands a waiting period.
MUL has a wider service network than Toyota.
The Dzire has been built as cost effective car but the Etios is reeks of cost cutting at all possible places.The dashboard for example, is any day better in terms of housing and visibility in the Dzire than in the Etios.
Post warranty, you can get spares and service, if required at your local mechanic for the Dzire.
Old 15th September 2011, 11:23   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Guys, help me out on this -
I've booked an Dzire ZDi on Ganesh Chaturti. I was very happy with my decision, that's until the Etios D came to the party. And now I'm in a fix. MY CONCERNS
- The Dzire will be discontinued early next year. I've seen reports of non avaliablity of spares for Baleno/Old Zen. Will the Dzire go the same way?? I had compromised on this aspect, but since I have a choice of Etios D, I'm having second thoughts.
My F-I-L is planning to sell his Dzire and go for a new car and earlier I suggested Fiesta Classic but after the launch of Etios Diesel, I had no hesitation in suggesting the Etios - The Toyota reliability and the Etios diesel reviews.

For your information, my FIL's Dzire Ldi is almost 4 years old and has over 80k on the odo and he is getting resale offers of 4.9L which I think is amazing and only a Maruti diesel can get such fantastic resale price.

Regarding the spares, I own a Baleno since 4 1/2 years and so far never had a problem with spares. Just last week I got some repairs done to the suspension and brakes and all the spare parts were readily available. So that should not be a major concern.

You cannot go wrong with either one.
Old 15th September 2011, 11:43   #19
BHPian

I am a Toyota fan;
I watched this Topgear UK in which they literally trash a Hi Lux van and has been a fan ever since.

That does not mean I will say every car that Toyota makes is good. I like the drive feel and the space in an Etios.
I hate the dashboard and its cheap grey color.

My friend who works in a Toyota dealer work shop in my place told me that there is a lot of complaint regarding water seepage and noise.

In fact he also told me that after an accident he happened to see the inner side of a door and the material resembled thermocol where as he said in corolla the material was thick and actually sound deadening.

I like it better than the Swift Dzire which i think looks awful and the driving dynamics is not great either.

Indigo Manza is a good option here. comfortable Spacious, Value Money and more powerful.
Yes niggles are there and it cannot match the legendary reliability of the Japanese.

How about Fiesta Classic ? Stylish, spacious, reliable and excellent driving dynamics and driving comfort.
Old 15th September 2011, 11:45   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The cost of spares at MUL is very affordable.
The car has established itself very well and still commands a waiting period.
MUL has a wider service network than Toyota.
Agreed. Although Toyotas will also get serviced easily in any city. I doubt you can hold this point against them.

Quote:
Post warranty, you can get spares and service, if required at your local mechanic for the Dzire.
You will get them easily for Toyota too. I have got my Innova serviced outside always except this last time. Anyways spares are available outside for both.
Old 15th September 2011, 11:52   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
If i had to go for a suzuki apart from the dzire, it would be the SX4.
Incidently, I do have an SX4 ZDi,brought a week back !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post

The defogger is not really a necessity in our climate. The only time my rear window and windshield need a defogger is whenever it rains... and the air conditioning does a pretty good job of getting the glass clear again. You can also get a 3M spray for the purpose.
My thoughts exactly the same about the defogger. 3M spray for windshield??? Can you elaborate??

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
You have quite the dilemma here.

Are you hell-bent on owning and driving a diesel car? If not, I suggest you check out some petrol alternatives too. Since 12,000-15,000 is not too much to justify a diesel car purchase, but at the same time, it's quite a lot of distance to cover for a petrol. It's some where in between.

The cars in question aren't the best you've selected, IMO. The Dzire is at the fag-end of its life, and it isn't the car I'd recommend right now. The Etios is a good car. Toyota reliability is a good thing, but the 'made-for-India' tag that the Etios comes with is a real put-off.

The reason why I suggest you buy a hatch is because there are some great premium hatchbacks available today that fall in the same price bracket. The VW Polo, the Skoda Fabia, the Fiat Punto and the Honda Jazz are all wonderful and desirable cars. All of them have respectable highway manners and decent boot-space that you would be content with.

All the best!
Yes buddy, I am hell bent on diesels. And I'm done with hatchbacks. I have a 4 month old kid. And his stuff fills half the boot,even when we take him to the nearby mall !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Well, I never thought I would say this, but the Manza Elan is way ahead of the Dzire. Definitely in terms of space and comfort but also in terms of overall look and feel. At least in the TD cars; forget how the SA behaved or answered questions.

No offence meant, but my preference list would be Manza Elan > Etios > Dzire if you are only considering these three cars.
We have an Indigo XL as our Company car. And it has not been an epitome of reliablity. Need I say more !!!!
Old 15th September 2011, 11:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We have an Indigo XL as our Company car. And it has not been an epitome of reliablity. Need I say more !!!!
I dont know much about the Indigo XL, but Tata seem to have come forward by leaps and bounds with the Manza.

Just to clarify I am not a fanboy either.
Old 15th September 2011, 12:04   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Incidently, I do have an SX4 ZDi,brought a week back !!!
Pray tell us, if you already have a brand new Maruti diesel sedan in the house, why are you looking for another sedan?

However, if the need is there for the second car, then you should go for the Etios (going against my earlier post).

Don't put all your eggs in one basket!
Old 15th September 2011, 12:11   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
However, if the need is there for the second car, then you should go for the Etios (going against my earlier post).

Don't put all your eggs in one basket!
Exactly the reason why I'm a little inclined towards the Etios !!!!

Which of these cars will fetch a higher value after 5 years ???

Thanks & Regards
Varun

Last edited by powertrain : 15th September 2011 at 12:17.
Old 15th September 2011, 12:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly the reason why I'm a little inclined towards the Etios !!!!

Which of these cars will fetch a higher value after 5 years ???

Thanks & Regards
Varun
the answer to that is the Etios! The Dzire may run close in case it has a Zen like cult feeling after its discontinuation.
If you are looking for resale value, I dont see how one can beat a Toyota though.

This question would make me recommend the Etios anyday over the Manza. May not give you the rear seat sofa but much better than the Dzire anyday!

But if you have a diesel sedan already, why not go in for a hatchback like the Jazz as suggested earlier (I guess by Suhaas)
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 12:31   #26
BHPian

HI powertrain,

my views in Bold

Quote:
Guys, help me out on this -

MY USAGE
- 12,000 KM TO 15,000 per year. - Etios claims better ARAI mileage. Driveability is good too.
- 3 people max for 80% of time & 5 for the remaining period. - Etios - More spacious for 5. Flat seat & low floor hump better accommodates 3 on the rear and when only 3 on board, allows the rear passenger to lie down comfortably. Front seats are quite comfortable in both the cars.
- Light luggage in boot. - Both will serve the purpose equally well
- Highway : City usage = 60:40 - Etios offers way better ride, even more so on the rear. Gearing is also long enough in Etios D to give a reasonable mileage on the highway.
- Intend to keep it for the next 5 years. - Both will serve the purpose equally well, but DZire is a proven car.

MY PRIORITIES
- Abs & Airbags are a must - Both cars offer
- Great A.S.S. - Both Maruti and Toyota have good reputation
- Comfortable seats on long journeys.It will be self driven for the most part of it's life - Read my comments above regarding seat comfort
- Cheap/ Reasonable to maintain - Etios is X factor here, but, IMO, not really expected to strain the budgets

MY CONCERNS
- The Dzire will be discontinued early next year. I've seen reports of non avaliablity of spares for Baleno/Old Zen. Will the Dzire go the same way?? I had compromised on this aspect, but since I have a choice of Etios D, I'm having second thoughts. - Compromise only if DZire is better.

- How are the spare prices of Toyota Etios ?? Will it burn my pockets? - Dunno, but overall long-term ownership cost should not be high.

- Is the engine noise that bad in Etios D ? Can anything be done about it? - Please do take a TD and figure out. Please also read Vid6639's views on this aspect in his official review.
- I'm basically looking at the G-D variant. Compared to Dzire Zdi , the Etios G-D[SP], loses 2 tangible things - Tacho & rear defogger. Although i'm OK losing the former, I have reservations regarding the latter. To be frank I have'nt used defogger on our Indigo much,But you never know?! Or should I stretch for the V-D ?? - You should. You also get bigger (read proper sized) wheel sets with alloy wheels.
For your requirements, Etios just blows the DZire away. All the best.

Last edited by RadiantKarma : 15th September 2011 at 12:47.
RadiantKarma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 12:35   #27
BHPian

Selfdrive, I know Suhaas suggested a petrol hatch, but he also said this -
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
You have quite the dilemma here.

Are you hell-bent on owning and driving a diesel car? If not, I suggest you check out some petrol alternatives too. Since 12,000-15,000 is not too much to justify a diesel car purchase, but at the same time, it's quite a lot of distance to cover for a petrol. It's some where in between.

All the best!
And I'm tired of our govt,making a scrap goat of petrol car buyers.And a 23 rupee difference is too much to ignore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
the answer to that is the Etios! The Dzire may run close in case it has a Zen like cult feeling after its discontinuation.
If you are looking for resale value, I dont see how one can beat a Toyota though.

This question would make me recommend the Etios anyday over the Manza. May not give you the rear seat sofa but much better than the Dzire anyday!

But if you have a diesel sedan already, why not go in for a hatchback like the Jazz as suggested earlier (I guess by Suhaas)
powertrain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 14:33   #28
BHPian

Quote:
3M spray for windshield??? Can you elaborate??
The 3M spray I referred to is an antifog demister spray.

Here's a pic:

You might have some luck finding this or something similar at an automotive accessories store. I'm not sure if Windex (or any other locally available glass cleaning liquid) helps prevent condensation.
k_nitin_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 15:16   #29
BHPian

My experience is with Petrol Etios only. I am not sure how diesel is. Based on the official test drive review, the main strength of Etios diesel is lack of turbo lag. But it looks like overtaking in highway will be painful apart from noise. If you think the 5 of your familiy can manage in Dzire, I would suggest Dzire. Better noise insulation, pick-up, power and speed makes Dzire a better choice. But I didn't like Dzire's brake performance. You can seriously consider Manza although resale value may be relatively less compared to others.
Old 15th September 2011, 15:42   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade View Post
Better noise insulation, pick-up, power and speed makes Dzire a better choice.
Both the cars have same power to weight ratio, and Etios achieves peak power faster at 3800 rpm vs 4000 rpm for DZire.

Also why should pick-up be significantly better in DZire? Torque to weight ratio is only marginally lower in case of Etios. But the turbo lag is minimal and peak torque is achieved at a lower rpm and the peak has a good rpm range too.

On paper, DZire does not appear to fare any better than Etios on these aspects. Please let me know if I am missing something.
RadiantKarma is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks