Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2006, 13:30   #1
BHPian

My car search!

Hi Folks!,

Last weekend , I started my search for the next car. The current one is M800 which I plan to keep forever
After driving the palio, I had almost decided that my next car would be a fiat. However it looks like it will remain a dream. Well, let me begin with the tragic news. I went to fiat-india website and found out that Sundaram motors listed as the only dealers in Bangalore. Surprisingly they have stopped selling fiat cars and they said there are no fiat dealers in Bangalore and they said production of fiat vehicles has stopped. I was surprised since I was expecting better response considering the latest announcement of a Tata Fiat collaboration.

So fiat was unfortunately off my list..

Next stop was to check out the ford Ikon, ended up checking out the fiesta!!... Ikon is known for being expensive to maintain...but I found the car quite comfy...
Also, there was a mitsubishi dealer in the same premises.. I thought that since the lancer cedia is available, the older lancers are available for good discounts, I was dissapointed. The petrol lancer costs 8L on-road which is not value for money for the older car.

Anyway, the last and most promising option was the Baleno. Took a test drive and I was really impressed...
Now I am clear as to why Baleno owners are so happy with the car...its a true performer...

I am just about to finalize the car. But I have some queries which I request the users to help me out:
1. Current discounts offered - 1 year insurance + Around 35K cash discount.
On road price around 6.7 for Lxi. After discount around 6.1-6.2
Have any forum members received better deals? I even read some in 5L bracket in this forum...
2. Is the 95K price diff to Vxi worth it? Being in the 7L bracket I feel it is closer to newer competition.
3. I saw that the head room in the rear seat is less than ford ikon. But I am 6ft tall (and would be at the drivers seat..
) , and my family members are shorter...so it wont be a problem would it?
4. What are the best finance options available?
5. Autocar had a confusing review, they mentioned that 13inch tires improve ride and 14inch tires offer better handling...so is it always one without the other?
6. I am assuming that maintenance costs are less... is that a wrong assumption?
Old 6th March 2006, 13:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Palio production is not going to be stopped. Give a chance by contacting the Tata delaer in Bangalore. They may start selling Fiats soon..

Good luck
Old 6th March 2006, 14:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish
Hi Folks!, Anyway, the last and most promising option was the Baleno. Took a test drive and I was really impressed...
Now I am clear as to why Baleno owners are so happy with the car...its a true performer...
First things first. Nice choice, buddy. It is definitely a great car inside of 6L and you would not regret your decision.

Quote:
I am just about to finalize the car. But I have some queries which I request the users to help me out:
1. Current discounts offered - 1 year insurance + Around 35K cash discount. On road price around 6.7 for Lxi. After discount around 6.1-6.2
Have any forum members received better deals? I even read some in 5L bracket in this forum...
I don't know about Blore prices. I bought the Lxi in Chennai last year for 5.8L onroad. But you should be able to haggle a little more (try different dealers) and make it below 6L.

Quote:
2. Is the 95K price diff to Vxi worth it? Being in the 7L bracket I feel it is closer to newer competition.
Well, this is a little tough one. With the automatic climate control, driver seat high adjuster, alloys, wider rubber, music system, spoiler etc, you could say it is worth the difference.
But then, you also reach the price tag of the low-end Honda City. The looks might not be great, but it is a Honda and the FE would also be better slightly.

Quote:
Quite true. The maintenace cost would be much less compared to other cars in that class.
Old 6th March 2006, 15:02   #4
BHPian

From today Palio is available in select TATA outlets like Concorder motors etc.
Old 6th March 2006, 19:33   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkothan
From today Palio is available in select TATA outlets like Concorder motors etc.
Now my life is getting difficult.... Concorde confirmed that they have started selling fiat cars....now Adventure should be available for similar price as Baleno.....
Old 7th March 2006, 00:14   #6
BHPian

HI Kvish
I think u can bargain for baleno lxi a little more.Here in Kerala i can gt lxi onroad for around 5.68 lakhs without any bargain.
One of my friends who owns Baleno says its cheaper to maintain than a ford ikon.BTW which edition of autocar has the review on baleno you mentioned??
I think baleno Lxi is a better buy than vxi as most of baleno owners in the forum suggest .unless you need height adjustable seat & auto climate
control Lxi is the one to go for.
Me myself would be going for baleno lxi somewhere in april
So when are you posting pics of your baleno in garage??

Quote:
Hi Folks!,

Last weekend , I started my search for the next car. The current one is M800 which I plan to keep forever
After driving the palio, I had almost decided that my next car would be a fiat. However it looks like it will remain a dream. Well, let me begin with the tragic news. I went to fiat-india website and found out that Sundaram motors listed as the only dealers in Bangalore. Surprisingly they have stopped selling fiat cars and they said there are no fiat dealers in Bangalore and they said production of fiat vehicles has stopped. I was surprised since I was expecting better response considering the latest announcement of a Tata Fiat collaboration.

Next stop was to check out the ford Ikon, ended up checking out the fiesta!!... Ikon is known for being expensive to maintain...but I found the car quite comfy...
Also, there was a mitsubishi dealer in the same premises.. I thought that since the lancer cedia is available, the older lancers are available for good discounts, I was dissapointed. The petrol lancer costs 8L on-road which is not value for money for the older car.

Anyway, the last and most promising option was the Baleno. Took a test drive and I was really impressed...

3. I saw that the head room in the rear seat is less than ford ikon. But I am 6ft tall (and would be at the drivers seat..
5. Autocar had a confusing review, they mentioned that 13inch tires improve ride and 14inch tires offer better handling...so is it always one without the other?

Last edited by hari_rama : 7th March 2006 at 00:15.
Old 7th March 2006, 00:21   #7
BHPian

are yaar y are u comparing adventure with baleno?? go for baleno if you want ease of driving & back seat comfort for ur family.Go for adventure if u want ruggedness & small offraod ability.
Also baleno has the best ac in the country

Quote:
Now my life is getting difficult.... Concorde confirmed that they have started selling fiat cars....now Adventure should be available for similar price as Baleno.....
Old 7th March 2006, 02:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks!,

dude lets start from the beginning. You liked fiat the most so here are the people you would want to meet

BANGALORE
Concorde Motors Ltd. (080) 56678200 / 8201 / 8203
Prerana Motors (080) 22245158 / 159 / 51270300
Manipal Motors (080) 23565222 / 223 / 224 / 225 / 226

secondly if you said lancer is an old car then what is baleno. Its an even older car. Lancer came around 1997 while baleno is a product of the early 90's. With a 4bhp reduction is power even the performance difference is negligible now. Lancer is safer,bigger, better handler and better looker along with being a newer car.Throw in higher resale as an advantage. The engine is still smoothest and even more refined than the NHC. Not that Baleno doesnt have its merits but lancer at this price actually makes sense.

But as u said palio is what you want check out the dealers mentioned above in Bangalore.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 7th March 2006 at 02:44.
Old 7th March 2006, 11:32   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
dude lets start from the beginning. You liked fiat the most so here are the people you would want to meet

BANGALORE
Concorde Motors Ltd. (080) 56678200 / 8201 / 8203
Prerana Motors (080) 22245158 / 159 / 51270300
Manipal Motors (080) 23565222 / 223 / 224 / 225 / 226

secondly if you said lancer is an old car then what is baleno. Its an even older car. Lancer came around 1997 while baleno is a product of the early 90's. With a 4bhp reduction is power even the performance difference is negligible now. Lancer is safer,bigger, better handler and better looker along with being a newer car.Throw in higher resale as an advantage. The engine is still smoothest and even more refined than the NHC. Not that Baleno doesnt have its merits but lancer at this price actually makes sense.

But as u said palio is what you want check out the dealers mentioned above in Bangalore.
Will check out with concorde motors soon. Its true that Baleno is an old car too, but then they have cut prices to compensate its age....But if you check the lancer, it still costs 8L onroad for 1.5 petrol which is just 30K cheaper than Optra, so its not value for money....and I also felt the rear seat had much lesser leg room than other cars.
Old 7th March 2006, 12:29   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Will check out with concorde motors soon. Its true that Baleno is an old car too, but then they have cut prices to compensate its age....But if you check the lancer, it still costs 8L onroad for 1.5 petrol which is just 30K cheaper than Optra, so its not value for money....and I also felt the rear seat had much lesser leg room than other cars.
You are right, Baleno is an extreme VFM case. Obviously Lancer can not compete there. However between the Adventure and the Baleno which one should you go for? Now thats an easy one. Are you a 30 something dude who hops out with his friends on the weekends for pubbing or even chill-out drives on the highways? Are you the one likes to wear a funky dark red shirt with light trousers/chinos with suspenders and ties... and loafers to go with it? Then the Adventure is for you. On the other hand if you are more mature, sober an executive kindda guy who has a family... goes to the club for some serious weekend discussions, has to attend meetings with the honchos, is expecting the next move to grab his boss's (a VP or a senior manager maybe?!) chair then a sedan like Baleno is what will do better for you over a flashy Adventure.

I know I threw the whole discussion off the kilter... but thats also an angle to look at buddy beyond the technicalities.
Old 7th March 2006, 12:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hari_rama
HI Kvish
I think u can bargain for baleno lxi a little more.Here in Kerala i can gt lxi onroad for around 5.68 lakhs without any bargain.
The reason for the low price is that road tax in Kerala is lesser than in TN and Blore. I heard it is half that of TN. InTN, tax+regn comes to 40K for Baleno Lxi.
Hari, how much is it for the Baleno Lxi in Kerala ?
Old 7th March 2006, 12:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
secondly if you said lancer is an old car then what is baleno. Its an even older car. Lancer came around 1997 while baleno is a product of the early 90's.
Hold on, buddy. Baleno was introduced in the Indian market only in 1999 and not early 90's as you mentioned. Early 90s would be the Esteem.
Old 7th March 2006, 12:59   #13

Hi Kvish,
Why not check out the Aveo Sedan. It's being launched on 16th March. Good looking vehicle plus now that GM is selling Daewoo vehicles maint and repairs are not an issue (as in the optra). I've always been a fan of new models so worth checking out at least. Prices would be 5.5 to 6.5 on road.
Old 7th March 2006, 13:04   #14
BANNED

Lancer shouldn't cost 8 lakhs...you get the base model here in Bombay with Thane registration for under 7 lakhs. Approx 6.7 I think. Plus it comes with a damn good 3 year service warranty, so you don't have to care about any maintenance costs.
Old 7th March 2006, 14:42   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
You are right, Baleno is an extreme VFM case. Obviously Lancer can not compete there. However between the Adventure and the Baleno which one should you go for? Now thats an easy one. Are you a 30 something dude who hops out with his friends on the weekends for pubbing or even chill-out drives on the highways? Are you the one likes to wear a funky dark red shirt with light trousers/chinos with suspenders and ties... and loafers to go with it? Then the Adventure is for you. On the other hand if you are more mature, sober an executive kindda guy who has a family... goes to the club for some serious weekend discussions, has to attend meetings with the honchos, is expecting the next move to grab his boss's (a VP or a senior manager maybe?!) chair then a sedan like Baleno is what will do better for you over a flashy Adventure.

I know I threw the whole discussion off the kilter... but thats also an angle to look at buddy beyond the technicalities.

Zappo, I started my search for fiat adventure itself !! although I dont have a dark red shirt with suspenders
But only after I couldnt find it, I started looking for other options.
I wanted a car with good performance and comfortable on long drives. So Baleno was my next choice.
The second reason to choose the Baleno was the fact that I plan to keep the car for a long time... !! ( yeah yeah everyone says it )...so hatchback was ruled out...

Quote:
if you are more mature,
No
Quote:
sober an executive kindda guy who has a family
No
Quote:
... goes to the club for some serious weekend discussions,
No
Quote:
has to attend meetings with the honchos,
No way
Quote:
is expecting the next move to grab his boss's (a VP or a senior manager maybe?!) chair
Impossible

Looks like I didnt fair very well

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks