Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2011, 18:02   #1
BHPian

At crossroads and need advice on what portfolio of cars to own

Hi All,
I'm now at a cross road and need to make a few decisions and its driving me crazy. Let first state the current state:

I have 2 cars:
1. Ford Ikon Flair 1.3 Petrol 2005 model. Currentli i use this car for daily office running which is about 80 kms a day and around 1800 kms a month. Odo today stands at 95k. Car is in ok condition but needs a tyre change and suspension work (total of another 50k minimum) Avg is around 10.5 kmpl
2. Ford Fiesta (Classic) 1.6 ZXI Petrol. This is used for weekends only and with a monthly running of 300 kms only. Car is in prime condition with 6k on odo and as good as showroom condition. Average is around 9kmpl.

Total Monthly petrol bill is around 12-14k

With petrol likely to being soon dispensed from jewellery stores, i need to switch to cheaper fuel option.

Options which I have are:
1. Convert Ikon to CNG but no confidence as CNG is apparently a failure in Ikon
2. Sell Ikon - will get around 80k and buy a diesel
3. New diesels are over 6L on road and dezire is 7.4L and i dont like the shape
4. Old diesels are around 4.5L-6L with at least 50-60k on the odo.
5. Old petrol car and fit CNGkit. option here is to take a 2008 ONHC with around 40k on the odo at 4.5L which is very tempting. i dont need the boot on this car as my Fiesta will do the outstation travelling.
5. New CNG cars hatchbacks like WagonR but my dealer is saying that i wont like to drive after a month once u are used to driving sedans and that too josh machines.
6. Old Accent with ok condition with 95k on the odo with a installed CNG Kit but asking for 2.5L which i feel is too much.
7. I also check the valuation on Fiesta: dealers are quoting max 3.5L and hence i am tempted to keep the car.\
8. I also came across a tempting deal: a 2006 Honda CRV with 40k on the odo in good condition for 6.5L

Currently i am so confused that I'm maintaining status quo and paying the price every month.

suggestions on the complete portfolio welcome. some conditions:
1. want to keep the net budget under 4L if selling off the Ikon
2. the Fuel cost and EMIs of the new Buy should be at under 10k so that i achieve my primary purpose of reducing my monthly outflow.
3. Odo of purchase to be under 50k now as i'll resell the car aroun 95k in 3 years time so i want to have a decent disposable value. So no fiats/chevys/etc

I hope i get some good suggestions to make this decision.

Tks
Sharad
Old 27th October 2011, 19:49   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: At crossroads and need advice on what portfolio of cars to own

Since you use the Fiesta just for weekend runs and is sparingly used, you should retain it. How old is it btw?

Given a 1800 kms/month running, you definitely need a diesel.

I wouldn't advice converting the Ikon to CNG/LPG; plus, it's already 95k run.

I'd say you sell off the Ikon and buy a diesel hatch. Since it is required only for daily office runs and you already have a sedan, a new diesel hatch is a good thing to have.

With a budget of 4 lakhs, you can consider Eon or stretch just a bit and get Brio/i10.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2011, 20:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Fiesta 1.6 is an excellent option to retain since its running is less. I suggest you ditch the Ikon 1.3.
Since toy are also contemplating for CNG, I suppose you are okey with a commuter & can sacrifice on the bootspace. So why not settle for a hatch then. Figo Diesel is an excellent choice. Convert it to Swift diesel to make it even more interesting if budget permits.

I personally think a Swift+Fiesta is a better package than Figo + Fiesta.

Now a used Swift does not make sense. It hardly depreciates. So you know what I think!
oxyzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2011, 21:01   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Since you use the Fiesta just for weekend runs and is sparingly used, you should retain it. How old is it btw?

I'd say you sell off the Ikon and buy a diesel hatch. Since it is required only for daily office runs and you already have a sedan, a new diesel hatch is a good thing to have.

With a budget of 4 lakhs, you can consider Eon or stretch just a bit and get Brio/i10.
Its a May 2010 ZXI - Euro 4

Thats what i also feel about the ikon

I am looking at replacing Ikon with a preowned diesel car or a petrol convert to CNG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Fiesta 1.6 is an excellent option to retain since its running is less. I suggest you ditch the Ikon 1.3.

Thats what i'm also getting to as I don't keep a driver and Fiesta is an excellent car to drive and my family loves the car.

Since toy are also contemplating for CNG, I suppose you are okey with a commuter & can sacrifice on the bootspace. So why not settle for a hatch then. Figo Diesel is an excellent choice. Convert it to Swift diesel to make it even more interesting if budget permits.

I personally think a Swift+Fiesta is a better package than Figo + Fiesta.

Now a used Swift does not make sense. It hardly depreciates. So you know what I think!
I dont want to go for Figo.

If i take a hatch, it will be a swift either diesel or petrol converted to CNG.
If i take a used petrol car, currently there are excellent deals on them and then spend another 30k on the CNG kit. In fact i started with a swift petrol but seeing the deals on old honda cities, i'm tempted to buy one of those. The question then is whether its advisable to put CNG kit in it.??

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th October 2011 at 21:26. Reason: right location of comments
Old 27th October 2011, 21:27   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadmumbai View Post
1. Convert Ikon to CNG but no confidence as CNG is apparently a failure in Ikon
Not worth taking the risk. But then buying a old Honda City and fitting CNG on it is still risky nonetheless.
Quote:
2. Sell Ikon - will get around 80k and buy a diesel
Toyota Etios Diesel. It is as much fun to drive as your Fords.
Quote:
4. Old diesels are around 4.5L-6L with at least 50-60k on the odo.
I am not sure about reliability of old diesel cars since back then they used to be unreliable and very costly to maintain (not sure long how back, only heard, not experienced).

Overall, I think that Toyota Etios Diesel is just what you are looking for.
DevilsCry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2011, 21:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

For commuting, if you need a comfortable diesel car it will cost upwards of 7L, with 8-9 being the norm. If you are using the second car sparingly and it is just waiting for you, get rid of it. Then you will have a better budget and get a better diesel sedan.

In spite of its bad reputation I would go with Tata Diesels, as these are mainstay of a lot of Taxi operators, and they are seldom wrong on the long term VFM of a vehicle. You have a choice of Vista and Manza, with Manza giving deep discounts it a VFM buy. Even the Vista is pretty spacious and can be considered if you have no use for a boot.

I am not in favour of CNG conversion of old cars, as the power after CNG conversion falls, and you will be frustrated with the performance after spending upwards of 30K. CNG is for those who drive a lot in crowded city, where any way speed is restricted. For long commuting in low to medium traffic diesel is better option.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2011, 21:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

Why not convert Ford Fiesta (Classic) 1.6 ZXI Petrol to CNG ? and keep the other car if you like or sell it ?
black12rr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2011, 22:08   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Not worth taking the risk. But then buying a old Honda City and fitting CNG on it is still risky nonetheless.
Toyota Etios Diesel. It is as much fun to drive as your Fords.
I am not sure about reliability of old diesel cars since back then they used to be unreliable and very costly to maintain (not sure long how back, only heard, not experienced).

Overall, I think that Toyota Etios Diesel is just what you are looking for.
Etios is way over my budget. EMI+Cost of Fuels <13k is my equation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
For commuting, if you need a comfortable diesel car it will cost upwards of 7L, with 8-9 being the norm. If you are using the second car sparingly and it is just waiting for you, get rid of it. Then you will have a better budget and get a better diesel sedan.

In spite of its bad reputation I would go with Tata Diesels, as these are mainstay of a lot of Taxi operators, and they are seldom wrong on the long term VFM of a vehicle. You have a choice of Vista and Manza, with Manza giving deep discounts it a VFM buy. Even the Vista is pretty spacious and can be considered if you have no use for a boot.

I am not in favour of CNG conversion of old cars, as the power after CNG conversion falls, and you will be frustrated with the performance after spending upwards of 30K. CNG is for those who drive a lot in crowded city, where any way speed is restricted. For long commuting in low to medium traffic diesel is better option.
unfortunately Tata is not in my list.
Also, CNG seems a good option as 2 of my friends have been using CNG for years in Accent and Baleno.
Given i'll be driving only in Mumbai for office commuting, most of the drive will be in crowded places only with a small stretch on Eastern Express Highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Why not convert Ford Fiesta (Classic) 1.6 ZXI Petrol to CNG ? and keep the other car if you like or sell it ?
CNG conversion in Ford cars is a failure.

Note from Team-Bhp Support: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating back-to-back posts.
Also use the "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Amartya : 28th October 2011 at 08:41. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts. See note inline.
Old 27th October 2011, 22:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont want to go for Figo.
Any reason why?

Quote:
If i take a hatch, it will be a swift either diesel or petrol converted to CNG.
If i take a used petrol car, currently there are excellent deals on them and then spend another 30k on the CNG kit. In fact i started with a swift petrol but seeing the deals on old honda cities, i'm tempted to buy one of those. The question then is whether its advisable to put CNG kit in it.??
With CNG you suffer innumerous problems. First the car will become absolutely sluggish. Then the engine will take a beating. You will loose out on warranty. Boot space is no more. Safety is a concern. and the list goes on.
  • Trying to put a CNG kit on a new car is insane. Avoid by all means.
  • CNG ing a used petrol sound like a little risky proposition.
  • If I were to buy a CNG car I would not look at any retrofitted options. I would buy the Alto CNG.
  • Or else it is the Swift diesel by all means. Trust me it is worth every penny. And the new Swift is supposed to be even better.
oxyzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2011, 23:18   #10
BHPian

If saving some money is your purpose, then selling of your cars will get you no deal at all, Its all heavy depreciation, and even after buying a diesel for 6 lakh rupees, you still need to put diesel in it for 40 Rs a litre bro.

So any upgrade is going to cost you min of 4 lakh more. So why not you keep the money with yourself and repair the cars, or i will say drive the fiesta more and do not repair the ikon flair fully as you drive only 300kms in that.
I will say do not sell or buy, thats not going to help at all, Drive your 6k run fiesta which is as good as brand new for 1800 kms / month. In fact i am in same situation as you with an optra and getz -both are petrol, but selling off is not an option at all, To get a Optra diesel i need to pay 10 lakhs to save 30 Rs a litre + loan + interest... so much headache. So for my scenario i will stick to my cars even of petrol becomes Rs 100 a litre, as selling both the cars will not even draw me 6 lakhs.

Last edited by krish82 : 27th October 2011 at 23:24.
krish82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 02:58   #11
BHPian

I dont know if this answer would scare you , but have you thought of selling both the cars . Am guessing you should get about a lac for the ikon and about 3 -4 lacs for the fiesta . But a Diesel Punto 90 HP . Has the josh that you has in these cars and is pretty big and besides you'll be able to use this car for you daily needs and for teh weekend runs . Mileage about 20kmpl in city and about 26 kmpl on highways . Cost of diesel is very less . The on road price would work out to 7.5 , minus the 4 lakhs that you get from the other 2 cars works out to 3.5 over head .

3.5 lacs would work out to less EMI and I think with the current fiat punto you get a fuel card free , the amount depends on the amount that you win the scratch card offer .

Atleast go to the showroom and try the car, please dont run away just hearing the FIAT name . Who knows this is the solution that might work the best for you .
gautamkhadse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 05:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Retain the Fiesta, sell the ikon and if budget is strictly 4L + Ikon selling price then look for factory fitted CNG as an option (Maruti has multiple options and Hyundai comes with Santro i believe).

If i was in your shoes, what i would prefer doing is (as budget is a constraint) sell the Ikon, sit on cash for sometime build up the cash reserve over next 3-6 months and then buy the car which is over your budget today but you like it over then others.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 08:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

My advice is to

a) Sell off the Ikon.
b) If you have the budget for a new car, look for the SX4 CNG.
c) If not, then opt for 2nd hand Baleno or Esteem and convert it to CNG.
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 17:00   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

My suggestion - sell off the Ikon, and retain the Fiesta.

Regarding old diesels, I don't think you will find a sparingly used diesel car in the pre-owned market. Most of them would have run for at least 40K-50K kms, if not more. It would make more sense to stretch your budget and get a new diesel, if that is the way to go in the end.

And if you finalise a new diesel, look no further than the Figo Titanium. It's the best compact diesel you can get for your budget, and a proven car. I rank it second only to the magnificent DDiS which powers the Swift/Dzire.

I would advise against going for any CNG kits, whether factory-fitted or from outside. They decrease the longevity of a car considerably, and come with their own set of problems.

If you have to choose out of the options you listed, I think this would be the best offer:

Quote:
a 2006 Honda CRV with 40k on the odo in good condition for 6.5L
It's a great car, handles superbly inside the City and on the highways alike, and is very spacious as well. 40K in about 5 years means it has been used sparingly, so it should be in good condition as well. FE might take a hit (expect anywhere between 7-8 kpl), but the CRV will keep your smiles going.

But, if you can pull your budget to 6.5L, I feel a new Swift/Figo diesel will serve you better than a pre-owned CRV.

Good luck.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 28th October 2011 at 17:02.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 17:12   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

You have advised a diesel hatch and suggested petrol hatches
I'd say retain the fiesta and get a budget diesel hatch. Used Figo or maybe ritz.

Last edited by inder : 28th October 2011 at 17:16.
inder is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks