Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2006, 13:02   #1

Baleno VXI (Petrol) or Lancer GLXD (Diesel)

I am confused between two cars for my personal use.

1 - The all time favourite Maruti Baleno VXI (Petrol)
&
2 - The Stylish Mitsubishi Lancer GLXD (Diesel).

My Requirement:

I had Maruthi Wagon R VXI which I recently Sold off to upgrade myself, I am not intrested in taking loans and can shell out 4 L for a car and about 1.5 L for accesories.

I use the car for my office purpose, I own a multimedia & Software Development company in Hyderabad. I drive about 50 KMS per day on an average. I love long drives and love drives at a speed between 80 - 120 KMPH. I need a car that costs me less on maintenance, please provide me with your reviews and kind feedback.

Deals I Got:

M-Lancer - I have a dealer who is ready to dispose Lancer GLXD 2000 Make, driven 57000 KMS (Genuine) With complete paintjob done (Showroom Looks), New tyres, Spoiler for 3,80,0000 INR.

Baleno - The Same Dealer has a Baleno VXI 1999 with Paintjob and 52000 KMS (Genuine) for 2,75,000 & Baleno VXI 2000 with Paintjob & 48000 KMS for 3,25,000 INR

Please suggest me the best car to pick

- Rajesh
Old 20th March 2006, 14:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Given your requirements I would have gone for the Lancer for the following reasons:
1. Diesel .. since car will easily log 50+ kms daily average.
2. Car need not have out and out performance
3. Lancer's of the 2000 era are supposedly pretty well built (as t-bhpians say)

Just check out the car well. So that you don't need to change parts soon after purchasing. Regular maintenance Lancer parts may cost you a bit more than the Baleno, but being a diesel that should be offset.

Having said that .. any particular reason why you are looking at specifically these two models ?
Old 20th March 2006, 15:11   #3
BHPian

i would say lancer,
but if ur looking for low maintenance Balino is the car for you...
Old 20th March 2006, 19:02   #4
BHPian

I love the Lancer's looks. But the maintenance will kill you.
Go for the Baleno.
Old 20th March 2006, 21:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

for your 50km per day and adding the long trips it seems lancer diesel is a good options. the diesel is sporting a good price there.

But even the baleno is equally good.I wouldnt be sure on the prices though.
Old 21st March 2006, 21:10   #6
BANNED

i havent tried ouy a baleno.. but i really wish to.. cos even i am in the same dillema... between a lancer(petrol) and a baleno...lancer is nice.. huge.. wonderful ride and feel.. but pickup is not too great.. the ac puts load on the engine too.. and also the ac aint too great..a 2001-02 lancer petrol glxi, should cost more than 2 - 2.5...baleno... 2002 for abt 2.75 max...
Old 21st March 2006, 21:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Lancer diesel will give you a lot of maintenance hassles in the long run. Im not sure if this is uniform across ALL Lancer diesel cars but Iv heard more then 3 people (L-diesel owners) narrate thier not so happy experiences.
Old 21st March 2006, 22:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint_sinner
i havent tried ouy a baleno.. but i really wish to.. cos even i am in the same dillema... between a lancer(petrol) and a baleno...lancer is nice.. huge.. wonderful ride and feel.. but pickup is not too great.. the ac puts load on the engine too.. and also the ac aint too great..a 2001-02 lancer petrol glxi, should cost more than 2 - 2.5...baleno... 2002 for abt 2.75 max...

A/c aint great compared to Balenos which is the best available but cools evenly with rear vents. but lancers engine is no slouch compared to Balenos. And no A/c doesnt have an effect on the engine.
Old 22nd March 2006, 07:11   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
A/c aint great compared to Balenos which is the best available but cools evenly with rear vents. but lancers engine is no slouch compared to Balenos. And no A/c doesnt have an effect on the engine.
1st of all lancer is much heavier than the baleno, lancer has a bhp of 88(petrol) whereas baleno has 94. naturally power to weight ratio of the baleno is better. AND about the AC part... i've driven a skoda rs, the AC makes a negligible differnce, which you wont even come to know. in an accent it has an effect on the engine, but not as much as the lancer... u can compare the lancer with an ikon flair, in terms of pick up(with or without AC)
Old 22nd March 2006, 09:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint_sinner
1st of all lancer is much heavier than the baleno, lancer has a bhp of 88(petrol) whereas baleno has 94. naturally power to weight ratio of the baleno is better. AND about the AC part... i've driven a skoda rs, the AC makes a negligible differnce, which you wont even come to know. in an accent it has an effect on the engine, but not as much as the lancer... u can compare the lancer with an ikon flair, in terms of pick up(with or without AC)

power to weight ratios is just one of the factors. baleno is certainly faster. All I am saying is its not fast enough to leave the lancer behind. the weight difference between the two cars is 25kgs if that matters to you.

and no the a/c doesnt make a noticeable difference on the pick-up.
Old 22nd March 2006, 16:45   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah
Lancer diesel will give you a lot of maintenance hassles in the long run. Im not sure if this is uniform across ALL Lancer diesel cars but Iv heard more then 3 people (L-diesel owners) narrate thier not so happy experiences.
I ve experienced the contrary. Ofcourse the spares are on the higher side when compared to a baleno / a petrol Lancer.
Old 22nd March 2006, 18:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay
I ve experienced the contrary. Ofcourse the spares are on the higher side when compared to a baleno / a petrol Lancer.
Well Im glad you posted because there's always another side to every story
Old 22nd March 2006, 21:17   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

For once i am gonna say Baleno!
Lancer diesel has a pathetic engine and will churn up a bunch of problems, moreso since its done more than 50k kms.
Old 22nd March 2006, 23:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil
Lancer diesel has a pathetic engine and will churn up a bunch of problems, moreso since its done more than 50k kms.

but arent Diesel lancers bought down south because they are reliable?

btw I am not a fan of diesels so I may recommend a baleno. but lancers price is mouth watering.
Old 23rd March 2006, 01:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil
I am glad Sahil that you recommended and finally became a fan of MB, Maruti Baleno

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks