Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2012, 08:54   #1
BHPian

Tata Manza 1.3 Qjt OR Ford Fiesta Classic 1.4 TDCi

Hi All,

I own a Swift Diesel currently and planning to upgrade to a sedan FOR WANT OF COMFORT. Swift rear suspension to me, is horrible. But my budget doesnt allow me to stretch much beyond 8 lacs ONROAD.

Mine is a 2010 July 27000kms run Swift LDi and got offer of 5 lacs from the dealer.

FORD FIESTA 1.4 TDCi CLXi - ~8,50,000 ORT Bangalore
POSITIVES:-
1) Drivability
2) Classy feel despite the fact that its an outdated model now.
3) Feels rock solid. Build quality obviously good since Ford.
4) Powerful A/c.

APPREHENSIONS:-
1) Rear suspension bouncy/hard. Much similar to Swift! But then I agree it has a good handling. But Iam looking for sheer comfort.
2) Ford Fiesta engine holds good for 70-80k after which what I heard is that it becomes a typical Ford car with high maintenance.
3) Rear space cramped.

TATA MANZA 1.3 Quadrajet Aura ABS - ~8,50,000 OTR Bangalore
POSITIVES:-
1) Space space space.
2) Comfort comfort comfort.
3) Can I trust the Fiat heart in this Tata car?
4) After 5 yrs even if some maintenance comes, my understanding is that Tata costs cheaper than Ford!

APPREHENSIONS:-
1) Tata image :(
2) Swift DDiS's in team-bhp forum have reported 2 lac kms plus for many guys. Will the same Fiat engined Tata Manza 1.3 go that long without any major engine hiccups?
3) Tata cars some say gets very shaky after rough use. The 'fiat' engine may hold good but what about the body? Will it retain the original quality.

Please suggest which car I should go for. I am totally confused on this. This is quite tricky since its a Brand war primarily than a Car war!

Cars excluded due to price more than 9 lacs - Verna, Vento, Rapid, Sunny, SX4, Linea

Others cars NOT in contension in the 7.5-9 lac price range :-
1) Dzire - Doesn't serve my need. Doesnt classify as a real sedan for lack of space and comfort.
2) Verito - Built for a Taxi.
3) Etios - Poor interior quality. NVH high.
Old 20th January 2012, 09:03   #2
BHPian

Re: Tata Manza 1.3 Qjt OR Ford Fiesta Classic 1.4 TDCi

Fiesta Classic is a proven car with no major issues reported and is pleasure to drive with solid build quality and decent mileage.

Manza, as you mentioned pampers you with more luxurious interiors. However, there have been few niggles reported by the users, though nothing major.

A.S.S, both of them are as good or as bad as each other.

Resale value for both the vehicles 5yrs down the lane will almost be similar.

If I were to be in your place, I would consider Fiesta classic for its dynamics and build quality.

Cheers,
Rajesh
2500cc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 09:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Although Manza has oodles of space and back seat comfort it fails in handling and performance where Fiesta scores over it. Although the engine in Manza is same as Swift it has been tuned differently for the Tata's hence expecting swift like perfomance in manza is not correct. Also the niggles in Manza are too hard to be accepted. For that peace of mind Fiesta is the right choice.
Old 20th January 2012, 09:25   #4
BHPian

When it comes to comfort, Fiesta is no competition for Manza. Manza is easily the most comfortable sedan below 10 lakhs if space,seats and ride is taken into consideration. (No idea about the Nissan Sunny)

Reliability and longevity of Manza can be anyone's guess. Though it shouldn't be as bad as old Indigos. Qjet engine should serve you as good as TDCi.

Fiesta is more of a workhorse but it is getting older. Manza is here to stay for coming few years.

If fun to drive matters then Fiesta.
Manza is more comfortable
Old 20th January 2012, 09:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

My friend, want of comfort; Manza rules.

Want of fun; Ford rules (Fiesta or Figo).
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 09:56   #6
BHPian

After a swift I am sure you might not enjoy a Manza unless you are chauffeur driven. Fiesta on the other hand is a great drivers car.

Down the road you could add a tuning kit and really enjoy it.
With timely service you can go to 1.5L kms on a fiesta with no major issues (we had one that did so)

So between a Manza and a Fiesta. It is obviously a Fiesta.
Old 20th January 2012, 10:02   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

your primary concern is space and comfort(in CAPS, eh.), go for the manza.
no two ways about it.
spec for spec, only comparing the above two aspects, youll be better off.
However, if you throw in driveability and fun, the manza will be overwhelmed.
But, that aint your requirement.
Old 20th January 2012, 10:06   #8
BHPian

Hey Sam,
You might want to try out the Etios Diesel,
Either the GD or the VD can be looked upon.

Although I haven't doen a background check, what about the new MY LInea 1.3 Active? It now had the goodies from the earlier Dynamic version.

Else quality of Fiesta classis is higher than Manza, no offence.
I would have gone for Fiesta.
Old 20th January 2012, 10:19   #9

I'm a Manza owner. And yes, there are a few niggles here and there but nothing big to me.

If your primary concern is comfort, then you have to go with Manza.

However, if you want to have a fun to drive car, Ford is definitely a better choice. But then why spend more and get a new car instead of your current Swift, which I suppose is fun. 3.5 lacs is a lot of money and spending it for a little bit more space isn't sensible.
Old 20th January 2012, 10:43   #10
BHPian

sam_sant2005,

It appears that you have not done TD of any car and are merely making a pro/con list by reading reviews. If it is so then you should TD shortlisted cars. It's best way of choosing best one. For example you might love Manza enough to ignore the fact that it is a Tata. Or even find NVH level in Etios to be within comfortable limits.

By the way, any reason for excluding Nissan Sunny diesel? It should cost within 8.5 lac.
DevilsCry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 11:10   #11
BHPian

I have TD'd all cars except Sunny. Sunny is priced above 9 lacs in Blr (Since its ex-showroom itself is 8 lacs). My points about comfort or lack of it is based on my TD's.

I totally agree that driving or rather sitting in rear seat of Manza feels really good. Though if like a typical Tata those goodies if they dont go the distance, it wont work out in the long run.

Fiesta, obviously is a drivers car. I am a driving freak so only I have the Fiesta on top on my list. The bouncy character in the rear tells a similar story of the Swift itself. One friend said, to know the Fiesta you drive from Bangalore to Kerala. But Iam not sure how bad or how good the Manza is.

Fiesta one point you all missed is that it is a dying model.

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 20th January 2012 at 11:15.
Old 20th January 2012, 11:19   #12
Team-BHP Support

Just yesterday I was in my friends 80k driven Ford Fiesta. If I had not seen the odo, I would have thought the car was less than 20k-30k old.

Not a single rattle, vibration. Everything still perfect and the dashboard looked very good.

He does maintain the car very well. But the car also responds well to love and care.

Having said that.
The Manza is a awesome package with loads of space and comfort.

My suggestion to you is to go and check out a Manza and a Fiesta with over 60k kms on the odo. Used car dealers would have them both. Hopefully.

Compare the feel and then choose your new car.

To muddy the waters a little bit, while at a Tata dealership, take a TD of the new 2012 Linea D as well.
I am not good at this, but as per my wife. The linea looks like what a car is supposed to look like.

Last edited by bblost : 20th January 2012 at 11:21.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 11:26   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post

Fiesta one point you all missed is that it is a dying model.
Fiesta is indeed a dying model but I don't think its going to go anywhere for atleast some time to come. Ford has no plans of bringing in another car right now to replace the Fiesta. There efforts will be concentrated elsewhere with trying to launch the Ecosport and do something to revive the sales of the new Fiesta.

So if driving pleasure is the thing you value most then go for the fiesta. Also its one of those cars which has aged really well and it still looks good. Infact I would say looks way better than the Manza.

You mentioned about the back seat space and the ride being wobbly in the back seat. Well My suggestion ( if you haven't already done it) is to take your family along on the TD. Take a long TD over some roads that you are likely to cover most of the days. And ultimately try and find the best compromise between the comfort and driving pleasure.
Old 20th January 2012, 12:02   #14
BHPian

Widen your horizons

Comparing the Manza and the Ford is just like comparing apples to oranges.

Manza +ve points
1. Best backseat comfort - comparable to cars two segments higher.
2. Cheaper to maintain than a Ford
3. Wider service network of TATA.
4. Proven Fiat diesel engine.

Manza -ve points
1. Taxi image
2. Noisy engine. The Swift is much quieter even though both cars share the same engine.
3. Strictly a car to be driven around. No at all a drivers car. Just drive the Manza after you have driven a Swift and you will know the difference.
4. Niggling problems of a TATA. However they can be sorted out and are usually not considered as a "deal breaker"

Ford +ve points
1. Well built proven car
2. Frugal diesel engine.
3. Driver's car.
4. After the launch of the new ford, the classic is considered as a VFM car.

Ford -ve points
1. TATA has better backseat comfort
2. TATA is cheaper to maintain
3. TATA has a better service network.
4. Ford Classic has been around for a while- slightly dated.

IMHO you should test drive not only both the cars under consideration but also the Vento, Rapid, Verna and the Linea. After that you may take a conscious decision.
Old 20th January 2012, 12:06   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Widen your horizons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post
Comparing the Manza and the Ford is just like comparing apples to oranges.
--------------snipped--------------.

Ford -ve points
1. TATA has better backseat comfort
2. TATA is cheaper to maintain
3. TATA has a better service network.
4. Ford Classic has been around for a while- slightly dated.

IMHO you should test drive not only both the cars under consideration but also the Vento, Rapid, Verna and the Linea. After that you may take a conscious decision.

As a proponent , not a fanboy, of the fiesta,, except for 4 above, the remaining are hardly the negatives of the ford, are they?
Although, I wouldnt be too sure about the cheaper to maintain bit.
Manza really is cheaper to maintain?
asking.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks