Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2006, 11:52   #1
BHPian

Confused between buying a car b/w 8L or 11L or waiting for Civic?

Hello all,

I am a newbie over here.

We are looking to buy a new car for over 6 months but due to certain reasons we couldnot..

Now we will be buying a new car finally but now we are pretty much confused..

My main priority is a car in 7-8L or 10-11L with good FE and good after sales service and with luxurious looks..

When we see 7-8L segment, we get confused between NHC, Aveo, Fiesta and Optra..

After reading lot of several discussions on TBHP, I think NHC is though very good but is expensive for its class... Also, its very common on Indian roads..

For Aveo, its a new car with Chevy batch and cant satisfy myself with it.

Fiesta is good but Ford is not trustworthy neither it has dealer in my city Ghaziabad so there will be little problem after buying it.

And for optra, i heard that its mileage is not so good and my uncle is not happy with it at all.

For 10-11L range, I consider of Toyota Corolla, Skoda Octavia (Not know about the variants in octavia) or Honda Civic which is due for launch.

Corolla is good and luxurious too but it does not give that performance..
Octavia is excellent in performance, luxuries but expensive spare parts and bad A/S/S.
and for Honda Civic, i think is it worth waiting???
Its launch has been delaying from many years.. My father seems to be impressed with Civic.
It was due to launch in 2004 (as i know after reading a thread over here)
Also, please let me know whether Civic will got MMI in India???

Also, please tell me about Skoda Fabia which is in 6-7L range(please correct me if I am wrong). Whether Skoda is launching its sedan or hatchback version in India??

My father is saying to buy a small car like Santro for now and then after some time go for civic but I dont want to wait any more.

Please help me out

Thanks in advance
Ankit
Old 21st March 2006, 12:06   #2
Team-BHP Support

Corolla has good enough performance.
You can look at elantra petrol too if you want performance. At 7 Lakhs it is within your budget and is backed by one of the best service networks in the country.
another option is the Lancer Cedia.
Old 21st March 2006, 12:09   #3
BHPian

My uncle bought Elantra and within 15 days its gear box broke down in the mid way and from that very day i decided not to buy elantra.. and also because of uncertainity of korean quality..
and for lancer cedia, its a sports car and my father will not like it even though i like...
Old 21st March 2006, 12:13   #4
Team-BHP Support

One Elantra does not make it the benchmark,
As for lancer cedia, how come its a sports car? Its a saloon!
Old 21st March 2006, 12:22   #5
BHPian

whats the mileage of lancer cedia?
Old 21st March 2006, 12:23   #6
Team-BHP Support

Top Gear magazine Mar 2006 has all the details and a comparison test between Lancer Cedia, toyota corolla and Hyundai Elantra
Old 21st March 2006, 12:38   #7
BHPian

i think u should wait for the honda civic
Old 21st March 2006, 12:58   #8
BHPian

does anyone know whether honda will launch civic with or without MMI in India???
Old 21st March 2006, 21:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit.agl

My main priority is a car in 7-8L or 10-11L with good FE and good after sales service and with luxurious looks..

When we see 7-8L segment, we get confused between NHC, Aveo, Fiesta and Optra..

After reading lot of several discussions on TBHP, I think NHC is though very good but is expensive for its class... Also, its very common on Indian roads..

For Aveo, its a new car with Chevy batch and cant satisfy myself with it.

Fiesta is good but Ford is not trustworthy neither it has dealer in my city Ghaziabad so there will be little problem after buying it.

And for optra, i heard that its mileage is not so good and my uncle is not happy with it at all.

For 10-11L range, I consider of Toyota Corolla, Skoda Octavia (Not know about the variants in octavia) or Honda Civic which is due for launch.

Corolla is good and luxurious too but it does not give that performance..
Octavia is excellent in performance, luxuries but expensive spare parts and bad A/S/S.
and for Honda Civic, i think is it worth waiting???
Its launch has been delaying from many years.. My father seems to be impressed with Civic.
It was due to launch in 2004 (as i know after reading a thread over here)
Also, please let me know whether Civic will got MMI in India???
Ankit
Your First priority in a car is FE. In
Honda city and ford fiesta are equally FE and good cars. WHile honda is a bit more reliable, Ford is a bit more powerful and bit more fun to drive.

For 8-11 lacs Some FE cars are
Hyundai Elantra crdi, lancer cedia, skoda octavia tdi/petrol, toyota corolla

All these cars are equally capable and FE except corolla which is more powerful and more FE thanks to the VVTI engine. But the downside is that the car feels built to a price and handling is not upto mark. Also the looks are disheartning.

Your second Priority is good after sales service

While many say Honda has good aftersales service, people have had really bad experiences at Landmark Honda in Ahmedabad. Not to say that other dealers are the same. On the other Hand Ford does a pretty decent job(not the best but satisfying). I would rate them both equal.

Hyundai is said to be a pioneer in Good service. Mitsubishi service centers also do a good job and are pretty good. For toyota my experience was that of my friends completely totaled car. The car had to be sent in atleast 6-7 times before it was completely ok'd. Customer response was good. I cant comment on Skoda as I dont have any experience but I think customer service will be good if not excellent and yes spares are expensive.

For luxurious looks NHC and fiesta cant cut their own against the C+ segment cars. Elantra and corolla are not really good lookinng but lookd expensive. cedia elegance looks luxurious but many debate if the cars looks worth its price. octavia certainly is said to be a VFM luxury car.

Honda civic is coming. It will be Fuel Efficient, It will have the Honda service backing but it wont be luxurious looking like the octavia.

Go for the skoda octavia 1.9 TDI or 2.0 petrol. For service backup ask some people in your city who use an Octavia. Good after sales usually depends on the dealer in the city. Downsides to the octavia are less space in rear and low ground clearance alongwith expensive spares but you cant really go wrong with it.

As a second thought have a look at the Civic if you can wait, cedia elgance which is a luxurious car with leather and wood interiors.. corolla may be more FE and more powerful but You also pay much more for corolla.

and if You are really set for Honda civic and can wait then that's what you should do.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 21st March 2006 at 21:34.
Old 22nd March 2006, 10:06   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
and if You are really set for Honda civic and can wait then that's what you should do.
but civic will launch in august end or september start as told to me by prime honda in ghaziabad...
and also after that, there will be huge waiting time before the delivery and may be i have to pay a good premium for the delivery..
Old 22nd March 2006, 10:23   #11
BHPian

Quote:
but civic will launch in august end or september start as told to me by prime honda in ghaziabad...
and also after that, there will be huge waiting time before the delivery and may be i have to pay a good premium for the delivery..
not if you book early, you wont ...

i booked my NHC-VTEC a month before the deliveries were to commence, and i got the delivery in the first batch itself - but i used to call them up every other day to know about the status - just couldn't wait for my baby to arrive

and one doesnt have to pay any extra premium for early delivery - this is just a bad practice that might be followed by some unscrupulous dealers
though your initial booking amount may be high and it will be locked in until you get the delivery of the car ..
Old 22nd March 2006, 10:26   #12
BHPian

whether civic will be launched with MMI or not?? plz tell me
Old 22nd March 2006, 10:30   #13
BHPian

Quote:
My father is saying to buy a small car like Santro for now and then after some time go for civic but I dont want to wait any more.
should i considerering buying a small car for now and then civic in september???
Old 22nd March 2006, 23:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
should i considerering buying a small car for now and then civic in september???

civic cost= 10 lacs
santro cost = 4 lacs

add both and get the skoda RS. you wont regret it.

and if your dad doesnt like sporty cars then have a look at the 2.0 petrol skoda elegance.
Old 23rd March 2006, 19:14   #15
BHPian

wat is mmi ? and civic u wont get before oct according to me

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks