Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2006, 15:12   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
You must be a calm driver. I once got 4 kmpl on my Vtec. When, where and at what speed - Keep guessing.
ok guess ... here goes ...
Travelling from Mumbai to Pune redlining in 1st gear all through while towing the Jeep

@Premanshu, refer to these links
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...limate+control
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ght=baleno+vxi

Mods, the second linky is similar to the current thread.
Old 19th April 2006, 15:22   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by premanshu
With about 2.5L difference in price of Baleno and new NHC Vtec (on road), I think interiors and rear does not matter much to me now.

1) Milage is just about 9 Kmpl (city with AC) for most of reviews I have found on net. Is that what I have to compromise with this price difference or miracle do happen??
To answer your first Q, here's a calculation ...
Assume overall Baleno FE to be 9kmpl (pessimistic)
Assume overall NHC VTec to be 13kmpl
Assume price of petrol = Rs. 50/L

Cost per km for Baleno = Rs.5.55
Cost per km for NHC = Rs. 3.84
Savings for NHC per km = Rs. 1.71
Cost difference of VTEC vs Baleno = 2.5 L (as u have mentioned)

No of kms you have to drive to make up that cost difference = 250000/1.71 = 1,46,198 kms

If we take the more commonly reported Baleno FE of around 11kmpl.
The breakeven kms would be 2,47,524

How many kms would you drive per year ?
Old 19th April 2006, 15:42   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
No of kms you have to drive to make up that cost difference = 250000/1.71 = 1,46,198 kms

If we take the more commonly reported Baleno FE of around 11kmpl.
The breakeven kms would be 2,47,524
A honda engine will definitely take you that far. Have no idea about the life of the baleno's engine.

On another note, the resale value of vtec should also be significantly higher than that of the baleno, so even if you dont own the car for that long, the returns would even out.

Also, since vtec is top-of-line, one can get a lot more goodies than in baleno lxi - like alloys, fogs, remote locking and better stereo etc.. , so the price difference should narrow down further.

Last edited by goldie_malhotra : 19th April 2006 at 15:46.
Old 19th April 2006, 16:04   #34
Team-BHP Support

Get back on track, guys. The question here is, "Is the Baleno Vxi worth spending 80K extra?"
Old 19th April 2006, 16:21   #35
BHPian

Before taking the final plunge on the Vxi, do check out the Fiesta 1.6 sxi once!!
Old 19th April 2006, 16:25   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by solly
Before taking the final plunge on the Vxi, do check out the Fiesta 1.6 sxi once!!
Also check out Aveo/NHC.
Old 19th April 2006, 16:29   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
A honda engine will definitely take you that far. Have no idea about the life of the baleno's engine.

On another note, the resale value of vtec should also be significantly higher than that of the baleno, so even if you dont own the car for that long, the returns would even out.

Also, since vtec is top-of-line, one can get a lot more goodies than in baleno lxi - like alloys, fogs, remote locking and better stereo etc.. , so the price difference should narrow down further.
Agreed that there are many factors which contribute to the total cost of ownership .. my assumption was that @premanshu wanted inputs on the cost benefit analysis based on the Price vs FE factor.

Taking my own case .. the price differential between the VXi and the VTec was Rs. 2,00,000 and I still got these extras compared to the VTec - climate control, subwoofer, 2 yr extended warranty in addition to the audio, remote locking, alloys, seat covers etc.
Of course the VTec too scores over the Baleno in some areas such as fogs, interiors, rear disc brakes, refinement etc.

Honda engines no doubt are excellent. But then how often do we hear/read about Jap engines (Mitsu, Suzuki, Toyota etc) giving up ? Longevity should not be an issue. We even have an example of the much reviled Hyundai lasting loooong .. the Elantra that has covered 3 L + kms

Resale is something I would be wary about commenting on, given a minimum 5 yr period from now on. From what I saw here @ Kolkata, 5 yr old Baleno's (bought for around 8 OTR ?) sell for 3.25 lakh ish .. and 5 yr old OHC VTecs (bought for around 10.5 OTR ?) sell at 4.5 lakh ish. However, loads of new car launches, current model upgrades, greater incomes etc would define market dynamics that may be quite different than what we have seen in the last 5 years ...

Actually Aditya, if I understood correctly, @premanshu has 2 Q's. The first Q is related to the price vs fe comparison of the Baleno (LXi ?) and VTec

Last edited by shuvc : 19th April 2006 at 16:31.
Old 19th April 2006, 16:40   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
Actually Aditya, if I understood correctly, @premanshu has 2 Q's. The first Q is related to the price vs fe comparison of the Baleno (LXi ?) and VTec
Fine. Let's keep the discussion confined to these two topics only. Let's not draft the Fiesta, the Aveo, etc. in. Haven't we had enough of that?
Old 19th April 2006, 20:10   #39
BHPian

Coming back to the topic, here are some interesting calculations :-

Extra Cost of VXi = 80,000
Assume life of Baleno VXi = 7 years
Extra cost per year = 80,000 / 7 = 11429
Extra cost per month = Rs. 952 /-
Your monthly income ???

Now its up to you to calculate whether Rs. 952 is worth spending each month for the entire life of the Baleno VXI. Considering the benefits Climate Control, fog, better tyres, alloy wheels etc etc, Guys it seems sensible to burn a little more hole in the pocket? You just have to consider the extra cost as part of the entire life span of the asset and not merely as a one time payment.

What do you think?
Old 19th April 2006, 23:17   #40

Thanks everyone for your reviews but I hope that you all understand what delimma I am going through. I am planning to finance the car and my salery is enough to bear EMI of NHC VTec too. It is easier to buy an elephant but to bear the cost of food is what matters. This was my only concern while posting the thread...
I can bear 2.5L extra cost too for NHC Vtec(wrt Baleno vxi) if there is a considerable difference in FE. I have to drive 90% in Delhi traffic with AC. I am a bit lazy about maintainence as I have already stated.

Ofcourse I still cannot forget my test drive experience with VTec. The steering being electronic is extreamly light. Rear disk breaks were amazing. And no doubt when I see the interiors of VTec then Baleno just vanishes out of my mind :((
I am a hell confused person right now
Old 21st April 2006, 19:32   #41
Senior - BHPian

In the 9 months I have owned it, I have now done 16000 kms in my Baleno Lxi (185/65 R 14 tyres..same as Vxi) and the FE is between 11.5-14 kmpls with 12 kmpls around the median...
this is city driving...and I live in hyd which is not as bad as bangalore.... So you can assume a FE between 10-13 kmpl I guess which should be in a similar range as vtec.
Old 22nd April 2006, 11:35   #42
BHPian

Premanshu,

Have you been able to make a decision yet? Or have you been led into more confusion based on the inputs here?
Old 22nd April 2006, 11:51   #43
BHPian

Hi Premanshu,

Baleno (Lxi or Vxi) ( 6L - 7L) v/s NHC Vtec ( 10L ?)

Price : huge difference.....
Status symbol : Its NHC no doubt.....
FE : Vtec is better ( but at the price difference should even out )

If you are just looking for driving thrills, i think Baleno can give it easily Vtec too will give it but at a higher price.

Rear seating comfort : ensure that you TD both these cars by sitting at the back before you decide......I felt that Baleno was far more comfortable, but i have heard totally opposite views too.....so the best thing is to TD by sitting at the back and driving on bad roads.....(if you donno what bad roads are pls visit bangalore )
Old 22nd April 2006, 12:05   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx
...if you donno what bad roads are pls visit bangalore...
I protest... visit Mumbai!
Old 22nd April 2006, 12:54   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by premanshu
I can bear 2.5L extra cost too for NHC Vtec(wrt Baleno vxi) if there is a considerable difference in FE.
Looks like this is the only concern for you, i.e. the cost of the NHC vis-a-vis savings through FE.

Am not sure how the VTec can be compared to an elephant. Popular opinion is that it is not a high maintenance car - be it spares, regular maintenance or FE. So it should be among the cheapest C+ segment cars to maintain.

Why not do a small calculation. How much difference/savings in FE would justify your getting a VTec ? Rs. 1000/month , 2000, 3000 ... ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks