Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2013, 18:18   #16
BHPian

Re: Ford Classic vs Honda Amaze (Petrol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
If you are really keen on a Honda, probably its worth checking on the availability of a sparingly used Jazz.
Though I am one of the biggest fans of Jazz and had almost finalized on it, I would not say that it is a 'drivers' car! The 1.2 i-Vtec is satisfying and does the job but does not pump adrenaline. Jazz is more of a luxury hatch with acres of spaces and a refined engine.

If it is the rush of blood, then go for the 1.5 Liva Sportivo (if it has to be a hatch) or as you have selected the Classic. Polo GT is an obvious contender but for the budget it will not be possible. FTD requirement is understood no better by anyone else than the Ford (though IMHO, Figo is an exception).
Old 14th May 2013, 18:47   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post
Though I am one of the biggest fans of Jazz and had almost finalized on it, I would not say that it is a 'drivers' car! The 1.2 i-Vtec is satisfying and does the job but does not pump adrenaline. Jazz is more of a luxury hatch with acres of spaces and a refined engine.
Oh definitely agree that the Jazz is not a driver’s car. But in my opinion, it’s a much better choice than the Amaze petrol.
Old 14th May 2013, 19:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Ford Classic by far is the bet between the two options that you have in mind and don't worry about the spares as it would continue to be available for at least a decade after the model gets discontinued and yes this one is still selling and may be at least for a couple of more years at the max. So no worries there.

But slightly if you move away from these two choices, have you ever considered the Ritz. Yes have seen your views on the Dzire which is a short booted Swift anyway. The Ritz is one of the most practical option available in our market. Its interior packaging is superb with a tall boy stance and the K Series 1.2 is a sweet happy revving motor. And least said about 'It's a Maruti afterall' tag in terms of servicing, totally hassle free.

The only give away is the banged up look of the back but it will surely grow upon as time passes by. Since you are also open to a hatch which is very practical in a cities, you could just test drive it and see if you like it.

Last edited by girishglg : 14th May 2013 at 19:17.
Old 14th May 2013, 21:58   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
Personally, I dont have anything against used cars.....
If you truly are open for pre-loved cars, may i suggest Mitsu Cedia 2.0. It has a reputation that puts even the much-admired Fiesta 1.6 to shame. Someone i know picked up a 2008-model excutive-owned driver-run immaculate piece with ~45k clicks for 4.2L. Yes this resale happened in oh-so-expensive Bangalore just last month. Amazing value, if there is ever one.

Cedia has atrocious resale value - good for people on a bargain hunt. But you need oodles of patience to stumble on the right sample.
Old 14th May 2013, 23:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

You seem to want to play it safe so I'm not even going to bother tempting you with options in the used-car segment.
If you are absolutely keen on a driver's car then jump into the Ford Fiesta. If common sense prevails and you wonder if availability of parts is an issue, then get the Toyota Liva 1.5 Sportivo it is the perfect compromise; new (to the market) so parts will be stocked for ages, Toyota reliability, still FTD especially with that power-to-weight ratio. If I have pegged you right, I see you most well suited to the Toyota
People, please don't jump me for this I know the Fiesta is the best driver's car in that range (given the choice I would get one) BUT different priorities beg different propositions don't they?
Oh and PLEASE don't buy either without a TD.
Old 16th May 2013, 11:42   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Ha!
I knew this thread was going to be hijacked by fiesta owners, as soon as i saw the title.

Sticking STRICTLY to your choices, I will plead a no-contest on behalf of the Honda.
Its got to be the Classic.
However, do take TDs of the two in proximity, considering that the amaze will have more modern interiors(but thats not a disqualifying factor, eh?).

But I can guarantee this- if you test the classic second, and are looking for fun, youll be pulling out the chequebook after the TD.
Old 16th May 2013, 13:19   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Ha!
I knew this thread was going to be hijacked by fiesta owners, as soon as i saw the title.
You got that right mate, I have been itching to reply on this thread but held my horses.

@herculesksp
Coming to the comparison, as already suggested by the lot - these two cars might fall in the same segment, but are totally different.

Where Amaze packs the punch of being a modern car with better interiors, bulletproof Honda after sales support etc, Fiesta on the other hand is a hoot to drive(in this segment). An excellent engine paired with some of the best performance of features in this segment's cars(A/C, steering etc.). You might find the ride quality a bit harsh though, I haven't driven the amaze, but the overall satisfaction of driving can be achieved through Fiesta not Amaze.

Ford after sales support might not be the best in market, but it isn't bad either, I would rate it very good if not excellent.

Everybody can put their opinions, but it is you who should decide what you want and the best way to do it, is to drive both of them, across multiple type of roads. Take them on a plain empty strech and you will know why this thread has been taken over by Fiesta owners and as stated by mayankk - do take you cheque book along when you go for the TD of Fiesta - you're going to need it.

Good luck, ride safe.

Last edited by Fiest@DuraTec : 16th May 2013 at 13:21.
Old 16th May 2013, 17:46   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
You seem to want to play it safe so I'm not even going to bother tempting you with options in the used-car segment.
If you are absolutely keen on a driver's car then jump into the Ford Fiesta. If common sense prevails and you wonder if availability of parts is an issue, then get the Toyota Liva 1.5 Sportivo it is the perfect compromise; new (to the market) so parts will be stocked for ages, Toyota reliability, still FTD especially with that power-to-weight ratio. If I have pegged you right, I see you most well suited to the Toyota
People, please don't jump me for this I know the Fiesta is the best driver's car in that range (given the choice I would get one) BUT different priorities beg different propositions don't they?
Oh and PLEASE don't buy either without a TD.
Even I suggested Liva Sportivo if he is looking for a hatch. But the one major problem IMO with Liva Sportivo is the dead steering!
I have not driven, but the review from parrys had confirmed it. I absolutely hate a dead/ Hyundai like steering. It will negate the aspired engine performance with the lack of response as expected from a drivers car. Ford Classic has it spot on
Old 16th May 2013, 17:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post
Even I suggested Liva Sportivo if he is looking for a hatch. But the one major problem IMO with Liva Sportivo is the dead steering!
I have not driven, but the review from parrys had confirmed it. I absolutely hate a dead/ Hyundai like steering. It will negate the aspired engine performance with the lack of response as expected from a drivers car. Ford Classic has it spot on
That's why I said it depends on how much of true blue Driver's car you want I wouldn't compare it to that of the Hyundai's steering, sure it is dead but not as nervous or light.
The Ford is what I would buy, as my top requirements from any car are: chassis>aesthetics>engine>features>brand in that order BUT everyone isn't like me. If priorities are jumbled in a different manner, then the Toyota might make more "sense" it will also be cheaper to maintain in the long run.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 16th May 2013 at 18:05.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 22:55   #25
BHPian

Quote:
1a. I drive some 5-6 kilometers a day to and from office, and I commute to office by car only about 3-4 days in a month.
1b. I drive a maximum of around 20-25 kilometers over the weekends, when I do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
If you are really keen on a Honda, probably its worth checking on the availability of a sparingly used Jazz.
+1 to this. keeping into mind the amount of driving you would end up doing, you do not need a "drivers car". Had I been in your place, I would not go in for a sedan for a approximate monthly drive of 125 KMs. And in Bangalore traffic? Nope.

Polo TSI is scorching the hatch scene as well. If you are getting it via a company lease or something of that sort, you can think about it (though I, personally, do not favor the lease option).
Old 16th May 2013, 23:10   #26
BHPian

Quote:
3. I would really like a drivers car. I have suffered in a Tata for far too long. I would also like a car that is stable at highway speeds.
This requirement seals the deal mate! Trust me, I drive around my friend's 1 lac+ kms. clocked Fiesta 1.6 whenever he's in town. These are the rare times when my love for my SX4 is really tested! The car has aged beautifully, although few bits of the instrument cluster and a power window not working. But thats nothing major, only my friends laziness to get stuff repaired.
Fiesta is really addictive if you are a keen and enthusiastic driver. Go for it. The dated interiors/looks wont bother you at all once you take it to the nearest twisties or a sprint on the highway

PS: One might wonder why I bought SX4 and not Fiesta! I loved both and it came down to family vote!
Old 17th May 2013, 01:17   #27
BHPian

This seems to be more of a purchase from the heart than from the head(why else would someone buy a sedan or may I say a car for 5-6 km once a week and 20-30 km on weekends) Since its all about your heart and having fun let go off the 'lease factor' mentioned so many times in this thread. Go for a pre-owned cedia or a lancer and keep it as your toy for all the highway fun.
Old 17th May 2013, 07:58   #28
BHPian

Being a Diesel Ford Fiesta Classic owner for the past one year with 17K odo, would say maintenance is not that expensive and very much comparable to Maruti Swift as per some discussions.

Resale could be less and is an old kid that has been there for around 7 years already - but trust me, it can still compete with the new ones. Only the downgraded Figo interiors are the bad part but are well put together.

Our usage is more of a combined highway, city and rural to no road situation and it still holds good. Cant say the same about a swift or wagon-R and it used to rattle.

Do test drive both Fiesta and Amaze and then decide. If it was me, I think I would have gone for an Amaze as its a Honda after all, new (compared to 7 years old Fiesta) and it will be mostly used by parents unlike in your case.

Now a days, I am seeing a lot of Fiesta taxis and that would prove its not expensive to maintain.

Edit: Don't go for Figo, it already looks way too old even when compared to its own sibling Fiesta Classic(but cost diff was 2L with just a boot). Classic is a proper sedan unlike other quirky looking ones and that's one more reason why we opted this.

O.T:
Our TDCI engine has settled very well after 15k service and is less noisy now compared to the coarse noise we noticed when new.

Last edited by ganesc : 17th May 2013 at 08:01. Reason: Adding points
Old 17th May 2013, 11:05   #29
BHPian

I would say Fiesta is anyday better. Its a complete sedan whilst amaze is still a compact sedan.
I have driven our fiesta for 3 years and 75k kms, and I can vouch for its reliability, drivability, space, control, steering, braking and everything. After sales service is a pleasure and trouble free. It can easily take the luggage of 4 -5 people on 7 day road trip, as I have done many.
Service costs are way less than what I used to pay for my swift diesel. Last but not the least, this is a strongly built car and is safe in every aspect.
Old 17th May 2013, 21:55   #30
BHPian

Go with Ford Classic with your eyes closed. Don't think of it's age and trust me if it ever gets discontinued, the car's value will appreciate even more in your eyes. Classic is among a very few drivers car out here. You will be greeted by your own smile every time you'll hold that steering wheel.
This car will indeed prove to be a classic in the coming future and will be counted in the leagues of Old Maruti Zen and Old Honda City.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks