Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2006, 23:01   #1

Fiesta 1.4 , Accent CRDI or NHC

I am one one hell of a confused chap. I will be back from a United Nations peace keeping mission in Congo by sep Ist week and plan to buy a car. The prob is i cant decide which one. My driving is on an average 1000 Km a month, however i love to go on long trips once ina while. The prob with NHC is that it does not have a dealer east of Kolkatta.And being in the IAF i am likely to get posted to east any time. I freak out on car audio, alloys and custom interiors, with a budget of 6-6.5 lakh another Idea which occured to me was to buy an Ikon and dress it up at either Auto psyche or morpheus design the way i want it. What do u guys think.

The cost at which these cars are available for Defence personnel are given for ur ref:

Accent CRDI: 6 Lakh (ex-showroom)
NHC: 6.1 lakh (ex-showroom
Fiesta: Not available in CSD so the same cost as outside
Ford Ikon: 4.2 lakh (ex-showroom)
Baleno VXI: 5 lakh (ex-showroom)

Help guys.
Old 2nd August 2006, 01:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

for those needs I would suggest you go ahead with Baleno vxi here. For 5 lacs its a sureshot steal. then go to a modder and mod the hell outta it.

The current CRDi is an able car but with the model going out of production you may loose resale. otherwise totally good.

For value for money Ikon at 4.2 makes good sense. Mod the engine and looks and it can be a sureshot looker as well as performer. But not as good as a baleno vxi for a 80K difference. IN baleno You get climate control, bigger engine, bigger car, Alloys, spoiler etc which easily negates the difference in price.

I wouldnt look at NHC which is plain overpriced or the Fiesta as you are not getting a deal.

It should be either Baleno(Do something about the rear lights first and foremost) or else the accent crdi.
Old 2nd August 2006, 03:34   #3
Team-BHP Support

Maruti is what you should take. The reason, Maruti service stations are everywhere. For those in the armed forces, this is the best option. Baleno is a nice car and for just 1000kms/month you dont need a diesel.
Hyundai is second company which has lot of dealerships, but still not as much as maruti. Also if you are going to be in a remote area where fuel will be very very bad, crdi can give some trouble and even authorized workshops may not be able to fix things promptly.
But MPFI has been around for so long that now roadside mechanics have started getting the hang for it, and as long as its a maruti you will find a service center somewhere
Old 2nd August 2006, 08:27   #4
BANNED

You seem to be in same situation as mine... but it is really nice huge discounts for defence personnel ...
Old 2nd August 2006, 10:49   #5

Thanx for the advice Devashri. But isnt the Baleno too an outdated design? How good is the Baleno's built quality? I hope its not tinny like the rest of the maruti's. I heard Ikon is heavy on maintenance and Ford service centres rip u apart, is it true? Help all ford owners out there!!!!!!!
Old 2nd August 2006, 11:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakashchopper
But isnt the Baleno too an outdated design?
In terms of looks, Yes. It has been here for quite some years now.
In terms of the engine/technology, No. It is on par with the other new petrols that you find here.
Cons - people usually do not like its rear design and the interiors are all grey (beige seems to be hot today).
Pros - good engine/power, FE next to only NHC in its class, low maintenance and support available all over India.

Quote:
How good is the Baleno's built quality? I hope its not tinny like the rest of the maruti's.
Though not built on the lines of the Fiats, it is quite different from the usual tinny Maruti cars. Weighs in at around 1ton, with doors/bonnet etc unusually solid/heavy for a Maruti.

Quote:
I heard Ikon is heavy on maintenance and Ford service centres rip u apart, is it true? Help all ford owners out there!!!!!!!
I am not sure about the ripping off part, but Fords tend to be a little more costlier on maintenance than the competition.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 2nd August 2006 at 11:12.
Old 2nd August 2006, 11:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yes Baleno is an outdated design and I usually dont recommend one. Even the build quality has taken a route to the worse. But maruti has been sucessful in making the baleno the best VFM car in its segment and on top of that you are getting the car for 5 lacs. It wont really go wrong.

All the strengths are enough to counter the dated design and tinny build quality.

Just imagine

climate control
1.6 litre aluminium engine making 90+ horses for 985 kgs
Alloy wheels
Maruti's service availabitliy
spoiler etc.
for 5 lacs.

PM the Ford owners on the forums and you will get a true picture. I have experienced a positive reputation for fords. But in your case Ikon would still be the second option.

otherwise do check out for palio adventure if it comes under your criteria. Fantastic looks, superb engine, most robust body but weak support.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 2nd August 2006 at 11:19.
Old 2nd August 2006, 11:26   #8

otherwise do check out for palio adventure if it comes under your criteria. Fantastic looks, superb engine, most robust body but weak support.[/quote]

I really like fiat cars but their perf in Indian market is a real cause for worry. Dont think I will take a chance with Fiat
Old 2nd August 2006, 11:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

There are N number of Fiat owners on the forums. Just start a thread with the name Fiat and you will meet them.

They are an extremely happy bunch and vouch for the reliability of their fiat cars. Most of the rumours on fiat are lies.

Adventure petrol from Fiat will be the best bet.
Old 2nd August 2006, 12:00   #10
BHPian

Prakash,

Always check the track record of a model. Also, you are likely to be transferred every now and then. Therefore you should look at a car which has the widest service network available and which is trouble free. In your case, I would suggest the Baleno which would best suit your needs. The car is well built too though not as solid as the Fiesta or Adventure but should last just as long nevertheless. Talking of outdated styling and the car itself being outdated, I met a person yesterday who had given his son-in-law a Baleno as a marriage gift four years ago. His s-i-l recently exchanged the Baleno for another one claiming that it is the best VFM. He also owns an Ikon which he rarely drives and complains of high maintenance. I have yet to come across a dissatisfied Baleno customer.
Old 2nd August 2006, 12:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
Just imagine

climate control
1.6 litre aluminium engine making 90+ horses for 985 kgs
Alloy wheels
Maruti's service availabitliy
spoiler etc.
for 5 lacs.
I cant believe my eyes.. u r actually praising Baleno
Old 2nd August 2006, 12:20   #12
BHPian

Within the options available for you Baleno seems to be the best bet. With baleno you win the best service network and a real performer with 1.6 litre churning out 91 bp. In mileage front it looses only to NHC.

Baleno is here for more than a decade and hence seems outdated by design but it won't be phased out in the near future looking at the history of M800 and esteem.
Old 2nd August 2006, 12:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksethuram
Baleno is here for more than a decade
Slight correction there. It's been here for only 7 years now - was introduced in '99 in India. But if you meant globally, then I guess you are right - it was introduced around '95 (not sure).
Old 2nd August 2006, 13:12   #14
BHPian

Great!!! you're getting some fabulous prices for these cars. If you're looking for a Petrol car it's the Baleno for its performance and fuel efficiency. If you dont like the looks of Baleno and if you're ok with Accent's looks then the GLE can also be considered though you have not listed it. But the GLE does not have the performance and mileage compared to the Baleno but still pretty decent in both.

Among Diesel, if you're getting an Accent CRDi for 6 lakhs its simply superb. It's a fantastic performing vehicle with good fuel efficiency. Well, the talk of Accent getting phased out is still a controversial topic. The company has said Accent wont be discontinued. You got to make up the decision yourself in that matter.

Ford has maintenance issues and also the costs are high. Service quality is also supposed to be bad although it seems they're improving now. If you're looking for Ikon 1.6 its a better performer than Baleno but mileage is on the lower side. The Ford Ikon 1.3 (Flair) has a slightly better fuel efficiency than Accent GLE and Baleno but down on performance and features compared to them.

Hope you'll find a car suited for you.

Last edited by adarsh76 : 2nd August 2006 at 13:15.
Old 2nd August 2006, 22:11   #15
BHPian

dude even i think you should go for thr BALENO gr8 car., gr8 engine and plus the A rated dealer network from maruti.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks