Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2015, 21:43   #1
BHPian

Buying a discontinued model at a hefty discount?

Dear members , I want to seek your suggestion on buying a discontinued car like SX4 on a hefty discount. For eg A SX4 ZDI at Rs 7.25 (ex showroom ) instead of Rs 8.96 or something like that.
Old 28th January 2015, 21:57   #2
BHPian

re: Buying a discontinued model at a hefty discount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvikasagrawal View Post
Dear members , I want to seek your suggestion on buying a discontinued car like SX4 on a hefty discount. For eg A SX4 ZDI at Rs 7.25 (ex showroom ) instead of Rs 8.96 or something like that.
Well If i can, I will try answering your question in 2 ways-

- Buying because it could get you a good resale- think twice. It's an outdated unpopular model. You won't get many takers and can't expect a resale price as a typical Maruti swift/dezire command

-Buying if you really love the vehicle- go ahead as you won't face any problems with spare parts/accessories

My suggestion- SX4 never really exceeded in any department (though it was never a laggard in any), power, handling, dynamics, looks or even space. Choose what you want in your car you can have options like Vento (Power & Dynamics, Classic Looks), Rapid (same as Vento), Linea, New Ford Fiesta (excellent dynamics), Sunny (Acres of space) in that budget.

Regards

Last edited by Passiautonate : 28th January 2015 at 21:58.
Passiautonate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 22:00   #3
BHPian

The plus is you are getting a good discount, on a car with good safety features. However, there are plenty of minuses, you are getting a car manufactured earlier. Can you buy extended warranty on it? What you gain in buying price you will loose when you sell. Especially considering it was not a very successful model.

Need to understand the need better, you may be better off with a zest or an xcent if you don't need that oodles of space. What is pushing you to buy this car other than the discount?

As a rule of thumb, if the price is too good, there is always a catch. I would be very very skeptical to buy it, but that's me. I do hope I have confused you enough.
prasanna.vps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 22:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Did you find out what made the particular Maruti Showroom keep this model still in their stock yard and not sell it out ? That too a new one, does it no sound fishy ?
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 22:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passiautonate View Post
SX4 never really exceeded in any department (though it was never a laggard in any), power, handling, dynamics, looks or even space.
It rides pretty well isn't it? And a tough car too.

I agree on the suggestion though. Keep that discount aside for a moment and think hard on your exact requirements from a new car. Buy only if the SX4 is a good match.
Old 28th January 2015, 23:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear members , I want to seek your suggestion on buying a discontinued car like SX4 on a hefty discount.
Do you have VIN number of that car? Check year + month of manufacture. If it has been built in last ~6 months and you intend to keep it for long, I would suggest that you go ahead with purchase.

But do perform enhanced due diligence and thorough PDI.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2015, 07:25   #7
BHPian

Thanks all of you. Sx4 Zdi checks all the boxes for me. But it is also true I was only going for it at this price band only.Now I think I should let it go and search for another car. I like Tata Zest but Having owned vista qjd for 5 years I am sceptical about it.
Old 29th January 2015, 07:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

If you are allowed a full pdi of the car, are provided the vin, manufacturer warranty, I would seriously look at this car considering it is a top spec variant. It is unfortunate that the SX4 never really took off. Not a lot of folks are a big fan of this car. I am and for good reason. It offers a better drive than some of the new sedans, pseudo sedans on sale, is reliable, the seats are excellent, decent passenger space, easy ingress/egress, a massive boot, fairly light controls, well equipped and most important, you can take this car anywhere and get it serviced. At 9lac on road, it is a superb deal.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2015, 08:20   #9
BHPian

It would a great deal. Just get hold of the VIN no to understand the month and year of manufacture. If required request the dealer for change in necessary oils and fluids in the car before delivery. When a product reaches the end of the life cycle or is soon to be replaced by a refreshed product, the former is provided at a hefty discount. It makes a good choice to buy the product at that time. I remember the previous gen i20 being offered at hefty discounts before the Elite i20 came into pictute. It is a win-win situation in both the cases. Since you are purchasing a SX4, no need to worry about the service and parts since Maruti's parts are readily available.
CountMe91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2015, 09:34   #10
BHPian

Since price was the only reason that attracted you to the car, I echo everyone else's opinion. Not to buy the car. SX4 is a reasonably good car but the fact that it's out of production and wasn't a great sales success would make you lose money eventually. And the fact that the dealer sat on this car for so long makes me smell something fishy.

Zest is an honest effort from TML. I know your past experience with vista wasn't great but why don't you take a test drive of zest. I can guarantee that you'll be pleasantly surprised.

But if you're adamant that SX4 is a really good option, double check everything; maybe triple check and do a very very careful PDI.

Regards
Sunny
Autodoc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2015, 12:48   #11
BHPian

Most of the important points have been addressed and not much remains to talk, but still.. !
The negative points that I can think of about this car would be that

1. it is out of production

2. putting it for a long time in ware house may be a cause for concern in its maintenance.

3. Availability of many latest alternatives with much better powered engines [even in the lower segments]

The brighter side is that
1. Due to the 'Maruti' advantage, spares and service will never be a problem [ at least for a decade] and 'out of production' should not really concern you unless you think of disposing it in the immediate 5 years.

2. The condition of a car which has been manufactured long ago might have some problems. I am sure you can check them with help of any friendly SA in MASS or a helpful mechanic and the fact that it is 'Maruti' succors you here. IF there are any serious issues , then the car is gone. But if there are only niggles[ which can be addressed easily], then there is no good reason to leave it and I am sure the MASS guys will certainly help you out in coming services [ if you find them helpful and transparent].

3.about availabilty of various other options, if you are personally enchanted with any model or obsessed with driving a particular car, then I suggest leave this. If you do not have any reservations about any model and if you just need a decent car that can cater to your needs, then this is it and don't look further.

The SX4 is a decent looking car with 'not very aggressive' design and can easily fit in our minds as a typical Sedan. It ain't a success but this shouldn't be a cause for concern because I guess most of the people, when coming to this segment, might have looked at Brand maruti as Cheap and middle class and it certainly does not have that premium look [ the luxury that the lower segment cars enjoyed proved bane to higher segments]. Also the fact that its' competitors have more powered [ though not as FE] engines further added the woes to SX4 which was dud in sales.

So, at the outset, I'd suggest you to go for it - it is absolutely VFM if and only if the the condition of the car is good and also you can bargain harder ; may be at 6.75-7 L, it is a wonderful deal.

I am not an automobile expert and this advise emanates from my common sense [ if I got a little ] and I apologize for any foolish/ignorant observations.

Last edited by GTO : 29th January 2015 at 15:40. Reason: Spacing :)
poised2drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2015, 12:55   #12
BHPian

Go for it but at a much lower price - think of it this way, the car is out of production - so a Rs. 9 lakh car will lose 40 % straight out of showroom. Ask for at least 30% off - I would buy it at Rs. 6.5 - 6.75.

Bargain hard - remember in such situations, it's a buyer's market. Most people don't get it - you should always get a dollar for 67 cents, no more.

But, more importantly, think if you like the car and will do so for the long term
varadha_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2015, 14:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
SX4 was never a seller, so imo 7.25 ex showroom is not a low price for a discontinued flop car (I agree that the sales picked up a bit once they launched the Diesel version). That car is sitting in the showroom floor and depreciating. If it was me then at around 6.5 i would consider it.

The interiors are dull and the age shows, even the Swift has better looking interiors. There is no Multi Information Display either.

The car will look dated from the very first day after you purchase it. Its peers have all been replaced in the market are no longer sold except for the old Fiesta which is now sold as Classic.

Resale was and is not a strong point of the SX4 (Diesel/Petrol), and at the end of your 5 year ownership period the car would be 5 years since discontinuation too. Expect very low resale for it.

Imo unless you get it for 6.5lacs and free insurance you can consider it, at 7.25 its not worth it.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2015, 15:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

1.5Lacs discount makes sense if you will keep the car for 5+ years, the net depreciation would have evened out to market average of a newer car, say, Ciaz and you would not be loosing a ton on a outdated model vizaviz in-production car.
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2015, 15:47   #15
BHPian

Re: Buying a discontinued model at a hefty discount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post

Imo unless you get it for 6.5lacs and free insurance you can consider it, at 7.25 its not worth it.
If you intend to keep this car for long time then it is ok at 6.5L.
For longish ownership (more than 6-7 years) depreciation is not a big factor.
CarJunki is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks