Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2006, 22:17   #1

Ikon Flair Confusion..

Hey folks.. i'm new here.. and i stumbled upon this place after loitering around the net for a while! Hope you guys too can give some valuable advise regarding my queries..

I was plannin on upgrading my '94 M800 for a new Ikon flair.. and after doing research, have found out that not everyone is happy with it! Here are my set of questions...

1) I really dont care about the fact that it is underpowered... what is the fuel efficiency i can expect from it?

2)Which is the best dealer to buy it from in bangalore and what discount can i expect for the current season?

3)Almost everyone has had this problem of hot air blowing from the AC vents at some point or another in their ikons... is this problem still existent and if yes, what is the solution?

4)Are the brakes really that bad?

5)What is a good price i can expect for my '94 Maruti 800? It is the standard non AC model, off-white; with 44000 odd KM on the odo. Few scractches here and there and just one small dent on the side; otherwise in top notch running condition.

Thanks a ton!
Old 21st August 2006, 14:12   #2
BHPian

Some crude problems with Ikon are FE, maintenance, resale i.e. total money-gotcha. Above all Ikon is an outdated model now. Onle good thing with Ikon is VFM and price at it is being offered, no strong competition as such.

Your Maruti 800 should be sold off at 50-55k.
Old 21st August 2006, 14:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have been using my ikon 1.3 for a little more than a year now and am very happy with it.It is complete VFM to the last paisa ,yes it is a little under powered but it has enough power for city driving and is not too bad on highways too ... It is comfortable and solidly built ,and really sticks to the road while cornering at high speeds ... I know it is not the top of the line car ...but its fantastic value for money.
Old 21st August 2006, 14:46   #4
BHPian

The new Ikon Flair is a great car at the new price and a stunner compared the other cars in that segement. Yes, it is a bit under powered (more so when you compare it with the 1.6 version), but still is a fun to drive vehicle. Maintainance is a bit of the higher side, but is usually a trouble free vehicle if you stick to the service schedule.

Cheers!!!
Old 21st August 2006, 14:49   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecfrek
Hey folks.. i'm new here.. and i stumbled upon this place after loitering around the net for a while! Hope you guys too can give some valuable advise regarding my queries..

I was plannin on upgrading my '94 M800 for a new Ikon flair.. and after doing research, have found out that not everyone is happy with it! Here are my set of questions...

1) I really dont care about the fact that it is underpowered... what is the fuel efficiency i can expect from it?

2)Which is the best dealer to buy it from in bangalore and what discount can i expect for the current season?

3)Almost everyone has had this problem of hot air blowing from the AC vents at some point or another in their ikons... is this problem still existent and if yes, what is the solution?

5)What is a good price i can expect for my '94 Maruti 800? It is the standard non AC model, off-white; with 44000 odd KM on the odo. Few scractches here and there and just one small dent on the side; otherwise in top notch running condition.

Thanks a ton!
I don't suggest Ford Ikon now. [FONT=&quot]Resale vale is very low.[/FONT]
Old 21st August 2006, 16:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1. U wont feel the car underpowered after u have driven M800...May be sometimes with full load n A/C on...U can manage Fuel efficiency in double figures...

2.No idea of prices in B'lore here it will cost 4.7lacs (on road)

3. The A/c problem is there...Still havent found a solution n touchwood it hasn't happened in last 4 months

4. Brakes are not bad ... The feel is bad n sometimes scary bcos press the pedal n the car dips n gives a jerk to all passengers...

If u are planning to drive it on hills or curvy roads it will give u maximum pleasure n awwsum handling....

KP
Old 21st August 2006, 16:28   #7
BHPian

Firstly..the average and the maintenace u are looking for is basically the way u drive...otherwise the maintenance is quite low..my flair gives just abt 12 in the city and touches abt 14 on the higways..with all the radio and ac on...its pretty much decent...
pick up is pretty decent again..
secondly....if u intend on selling the flair after say a yr or so the resale value will really be very low...so if u wanna sell it then quit thinking abt it...
the brakes are pretty much good....they are quite reliable..
the other advantages are that its solid built...doesnt creat much of problem even when u want to speed upto 120kmph...goes quite smooth no vibrations...
it shud roughly come around 5 lacs+ with all the knick knacks ....
overall am quite satisfied....

forgot about the ac...the ac is pretty much ok...but yeah that sudden gust of warm or hot air is there but then eventually once u readjust frm cold to hot and then cold again the problem is fixed....the ac doesnt create much of problems in pick up .....

Last edited by adya33 : 22nd August 2006 at 08:21.
Old 21st August 2006, 17:19   #8
BHPian

Quote:

'95 m800 with the a/c sells for 52k in mumbai run approx 55k kms
hope this helps.
Old 21st August 2006, 19:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

You want mileage, buy an Esteem. Performance too. The Ikon handles neat, though.
Old 21st August 2006, 21:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

1. Fuel efficiency will be in the range of 10-12 kmpl from this car. And almost everyone says that it doesnt feel underpowered and goes all the way to 160kmph. Ride and handling is better than Esteem.

2. I cant comment on the dealer quality in Bangalore but metro Ford seems to be bigger than cauvery Ford. But there have been instances when Small dealers have provided better service.

3. There are lots of people mentioning this. Dont know if it is solved. Your best bet is to try switching on the A/c frequently on a long test drive and ask for numbers of recent Ikon flair owners for feedback.

4. Havent heard much on this, But from my experience, they are pretty ok.

Ikon flair is a good car for the price with the added features. Do press for discounts and Add-ons.

Other cars to look in this range are

fiat petra
tata indigo
maruti esteem
hyundai accent.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 21st August 2006 at 21:30.
Old 21st August 2006, 23:24   #11

Thanks a lot guys.. you ppl really are helping me!

Ok... now i discussed about me buying the ikon with my fellow pals and relatives and almost everyone was like dare you buy a ford!!! One even went to the extent of saying that ford and several american car companies are going downhill and are expected to close shop in another 10-15 years... is this true???

He told me to give the accent a serious thought... 'cos despite it being costly initially, it was the least troublesome to maintain, runs cheap, and hyundai delaers are supposedly less thieving than their ford counterparts... this too i have no clue about...

Almost everyone i speak to say volumes about accent and how it is so much more sensible than an ikon flair...

Now i am back to square one... HELP!!!
Old 21st August 2006, 23:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

True, and besides, sales and service at Ford, atleast in BLR, sucks.

I'm a big Esteem fan. Though the Accent is a pretty decent buy too.
Old 22nd August 2006, 01:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

In this price range the indigo/Marina cousins make the best sense.

They are the most comfortable and spacious cars in the segment. Even tata dealers are abound so servicing wont be a problem.

The car is built to last and tanklike. The driving experience is nothing to write about.

The gearshift sucks and there are some niggling troubles from time to time.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 22nd August 2006 at 01:34.
Old 22nd August 2006, 06:29   #14
BHPian

accent is better than Ikon,
its almost the same price... i think about 30K more but worth it...
you can push for discounts tooo...
Old 23rd August 2006, 22:30   #15

hmmmmm.... ok things getting a bit clearer now!

Anyone bought an accent GLE recenlty?? How much did it end up on the road with all the discounts and stuff?

Oh and i forgotto mention... this car will not be sold anytime soon and will be used for about 100 or so km a month...after all, it is for my parents and they hardly go out...

Hence, i dont care about all the power and adrenaline... more bothered about FE/A.S.S..the likes..

thanks once again!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks