Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2015, 21:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

New Skoda Octavia or Pre-owned BMW F30 320d. EDIT: New 320d booked

Hi,

It is that time when the itch has started to go for a comfortable big luxury sedan that can carry my family in comfort on long journeys and then also provide the driving pleasure when am alone driving the car around. I have contacted fellow members and all have been very helpful in providing me the desired information i required (thanks team bhp).

As you know, i had recently acquired a Fiesta last year and i drive that car maybe 30-40% of time, rest of the time it is driven by my sister for whom the car was bought. My Vento has completed over 3 years with 44k on odo and i am now getting bored of it so casually asked my dad if it was time time to exchange it for some D segment sedan and he agreed so i started searching for our new car

My requirements are :

1. Has to be a diesel since the car would be used on long highway trips + trips to the hills and would do a annual run of atleast 15-16k kms.

2. Has to be an automatic since the traffic in Delhi is pathetic and i want mine as well as my father's left leg to take some relief from the heavy diesel clutches.

3. Has to be built well with good safety features, 6 airbags is a bare necessity since our Ecosport has them. No compromise here.

4. The car should be hoot to drive since my benchmarks are pretty high now, no light steering or soft suspensions. Car should be great to drive.

5. Need decent back seat space so my old parents can comfortable sit there when/if we go out on a long highway drive, would be an added bonus if the rear seat can accomodate our huge 50kgs golden retriever.

6. Germans are pretty unreliable and i know that due to so many part failures in my Vento but i have no other choice, these guys make such great cars that it is impossible to shift onto some thing else.

My requirements left me with Jetta, Octavia, Pre owned 320D and Pre owned X1. Jetta was ousted as it is too similar to Vento and i need some thing fresh now, interiors were too bland. X1 is an outgoing model and the rear seat space was bad.

My observations on the cars i drove, Q3 was driven by me just today and was a wild card entry but it was rejected within 5 kms.

Audi Q3

Pros

1. The interior quality was top notch with every button that felt very premium.

2. Most refined diesel i have driven to date and the car was revv happy.

3. Huge sunroof was a brownie point and even the ride was pretty comfortable.

4. I hate SUV stance but dad liked the good road presence and that the car was easy to maneuver.

Cons

1. Absolutely and i repeat this once again, absolutely dead, pathetic, ultra light and dead steering. Infact i felt as if i was driving a Hyundai Verna, i was shocked that the steering felt so light even in dynamic mode. My Vento on 205 S Drives has much better weight and feel than Audi's steering and i am not even bringing Linea/Fiesta in picture here.

2. The car was super cramped, front width seemed too narrow, front seats were too flat without bolsters and there is no push button start at 45L.

3. Thanks to that light steering, handling was nervous and i never felt connected to the car.

4. Rear space was as bad as X1 and the car was rejected then and there.

Skoda Octavia

Pros

1. She looks fabulous with the bi-xenon projectors in front and has excellent road presence. The interiors were lovely and felt rich, infact at some places, the plastic quality was better than BMW.

2. There is ample space at front, width wise also it is great and the car feels very airy. Rear seat space is excellent with a huge 590 litres boot.

3. There are so many features in the new anniversary edition like push button, panoramic sunroof, paddle shifters, rear view camera etc and some of these things are even missing in 320D or Q3.

4. The 2.0 TDi AT was very nice to drive, steering was well weighted and it was a surprise for me. This car felt a lot better to drive than Q3 and the DSG was quick to upshift as well. The rear suspension was a bit harsh and noisy owing to the cheaper torsion beam. I had a blast driving this car though.

5. The car costs 25 on road for 2.0 TDI AT anniversary edition and Skoda is offering a 60k off, i can save another 40-50k on insurance so that amounts to just 24 on road for a brand new 2.0 AT anniversary edition.

Cons

1. Skoda has poor after sales and service and i know that but after paying 24L i do not get the badge value that premium germans command.

2. I have to face the wrath of incompetent VAG guys once more and i shudder to think of dealing with these guys once again for next 4 years.

3. There is no other negative i can think of really, it is an extremely good package at half the price of a new 320D.

BMW F30 320D

Pros

1. Boy was this car fun to drive or should i say super fun to drive. Rear wheel drive, excellent chassis and one cracker of an engine coupled with an equally competent ZF gearbox.

2. Ride was good even on the hard runflats and i did not feel any extra harshness or stiffness. The driving position was spot on but my dad was not comfortable as the seat height was too low even on highest position.

3. It stuck like a leech around corners, steering was lovely and weighted very well. Chassis balance was mind blowing, true driver's car.

4. The stock 9 speaker HIFI system was mind blowing, one of the best oem audio systems i have experienced to date.

Cons

1. BMW have softened the rear a bit too much and the rear bounced/bobbed a bit over undulations and it was a bit uncomfortable as i had expected a lot more from BMW.

2. The quality of some plastics was a bit off the mark, absence of cruise control and paddle shifters is plain silly.

3. The maintenance would cost a bomb compared to Octavia and the wait times for spares would be even longer.

4. The ground clearance is a bane and the car did scrape over a speed hump near my residence with 3 on board.

What should I do now

2.0 TDI AT Octavia anniversary edition costs around 25L on road Delhi with 4 year Skoda warranty, after 60k cash discount and another 60k saved on insurance, this is going to cost well under 24L for a brand new Rio Red Octavia. The only negative is that there is no badge value but the car is very practical and very spacious, it is extremely good to drive. Sep,2014 BMW 320D luxury line is available for 29L and the car has clocked 12,000 kms. Dealer is saying no accident history with full service record (car has done only 1 service so far). I will have to stretch my budget by another 6 lakhs since i need to shell out 1 lakh for 5 year BMW extended warranty. I will get a car which is hoot to drive but it is pre owned and i am wondering how will the car fare with 4 on board over the pathetic roads of Himachal.

New 320D luxury line costs 38 on road with around 6 lac discount and it is way out of budget. Heart says BMW but mind says Skoda, Octavia is a very practical choice and i wish i had not driven 320D, it was so good that i fell in love with it, still wondering if it would survive the pathetic roads and potholed ridden highways of North India. Octavia can definitely take much more abuse and the ground clearance looks sufficient as well. Octavia's service should cost 10-11k and and 320D will be around 20-21k which is not much of an issue though.

The biggest downer was that a friend of mine recently bought a 320D in my appartment and i saw him when i had gone to Bird Automotive Gurgaon to see 3 series with dad. He told me that he had taken the car out on a night drive and the car malfunctioned while passing through water which was not even till lower bumper, the car stalled and he was very dissatisfied. It has been a week and BMW guys have no clue and are not giving proper updates, this was a deal killer for my dad but i understand such things can happen.

Are BMW's more susceptible to run flat/rim damage and hydrostatic locks or am i worrying too much.

Help me guys!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd September 2015 at 09:04. Reason: Removing unwanted spacing.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 22:39   #2
BHPian

re: New Skoda Octavia or Pre-owned BMW F30 320d. EDIT: New 320d booked

Hey coolboy,
I have been through a similar conundrum and considering all the options I went ahead with a Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI Elegance last year. Today, with 25k+ on ODO and after 2 long road trips and numerous short trips, I am a happy owner .
Though I have never been priveleged to drive a BMW, I have read lot about it and it is my dream to own one someday. Octavia is our first German car, and from a Honda City of 2nd Generation, it was quite a premium upgrade. We had similar requirements as yours and in our case rear comfort was one of the priorities. The only drawback what I feel is that the thigh support should have been little bit better. Otherwise, it is a very comfortable place to be in.
Happy shopping. Feel free to ask me if you want to know anything about the Octavia.
P.S- Black and blue are better colours to go for.
shreyak_ss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 22:42   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Heart says BMW but mind says Skoda, Octavia
Hey, tough question but if I were you, would have gone straight with the Octavia Anniversary edition.

A new car, good discount, since you are familiar with VAG standards it won't be difficult to adapt here and all it takes is to have a good rapport with the SA and things would be well on future.

My vote goes to Octavia all the way!
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 22:45   #4
BHPian

Knowing how you define your driving preferences, I think the Octavia might give more peace of mind. You might have to be a lot more carefree with the BMW. Although the BMW is definitely a very desirable prospect.

I would say, think in this way. Can you wait for the BMW for the next 4 years? I am pretty sure getting so close to it, you would buy it someday. If you feel you can buy a new one once you upgrade from here, then probably wait. If you think 4 years from now, you might still be in the same boat maybe because of other financial commitments or whatever, get the BMW now.

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 23:19   #5
Team-BHP Support

Frankly I don't have the experience to comment here. But I was wondering why the Octavia 1.8 TSi isn't considered? It has to be a diesel due to high running involved, but how much of a difference will it really make, with an expected running of just 15k per year!

Considering the Octavia TSi can bring a bigger smile than the 45L Q3 you considered! You also won't have to deal with the torsion beam suspension.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 00:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
Feel free to ask me if you want to know anything about the Octavia.
P.S- Black and blue are better colours to go for.
Thanks buddy and what you say seems sensible. I will be getting a new car with 4 year warranty right from delivery and that new car smell is to die for. I am still undecided on the color but it would be a showdown between race blue and rio red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Hey, tough question but if I were you, would have gone straight with the Octavia Anniversary edition.
Thanks for the vote Anurag, am accustomed to how VAG cars work now and all that coding with VCDS would be fun. Tons of things to explore and if any thing goes wrong, Octavia will not burn a hole in my pocket. It was very very fun to drive as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Knowing how you define your driving preferences, I think the Octavia might give more peace of mind. You might have to be a lot more carefree with the BMW. Although the BMW is definitely a very desirable prospect.
You know the routes my car will travel to much better than any one else, seriously wondering if a 320D will survive the torture Himachal throws every monsoon. BMW is a very desirable prospect but am worrying about the runflats and since the car is over a year old, i can not even go for BSI packages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Frankly I don't have the experience to comment here. But I was wondering why the Octavia 1.8 TSi isn't considered? It has to be a diesel due to high running involved, but how much of a difference will it really make, with an expected running of just 15k per year!
Thanks buddy, TSi is not being considered because it will definitely give single digit fuel efficiency figures the way i drive and that will burn a big hole in my wallet. The resale of Skoda cars is poor and this being a Skoda petrol would be even worse, the reliability of 7 speed DSG is a big deterrent. A member has already got the mechatronics replaced on his 1.8 TSi Octavia so the DSG gremlins have not yet been solved.

1.8 TSi is a much superior engine with multi link but the fuel efficiency figures would be bad, it would be more conscious to good quality fuel which i would not get in remote towns and the 7 speed DSG is unreliable.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 01:00   #7
BHPian

Hey buddy i have been in a similar situation myself where after considering and testing everything from a BMW 320d, A4, A3, CLA, C220, Q3, X1 etc i went ahead and booked the Octavia 1.8tsi Anniversary Edition because of one simple reason I was upgrading from a 3rd Gen Honda City iVtec and all of the above in terms of space were the same as the Honda City if not worse and the Octavia gave me the same or in some cases even more features than any of them specially the anniversary edition and the bigger size actually felt like an upgrade. The only difference was the badge which if you live in a city like Bombay even if you drive a Bentley no one except for yourself really cares about.

Having said that it would be really unfair to say that the build quality of an Octavia is comparable to say the BMW 320d. There is a noticeable difference in terms of the quality of parts where the BMW actually scores.

It is about sorting out your priorities and for me since I was looking for a new BMW 320d and the likes the price difference of approximately 15 to 20lacs even with discounts compared to the Octavia was not justified specially because in terms of space it did not feel like an upgrade.

Also do consider the cost of maintaining the BMW which would definitely be higher than the Octavia even with the BSI and Secure.

Hope this helps.

VVB
vvb8530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 05:25   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks buddy and what you say seems sensible. I will be getting a new car with 4 year warranty right from delivery and that new car smell is to die for. I am still undecided on the color but it would be a showdown between race blue and rio red.
Have they launched the extended warranty programme? Last I checked the added 2 years warranty was not launched by them. Or am I missing something? Please update me on this buddy.
shreyak_ss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 06:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

What can we say. The 320D is purely a heaven to drive and the best ever road car. At the same time the Skoda aint a bad car and the new TSI is also a fantastic car to drive. With the money you save, you can actully not worry about their pathetic service. Their service is pathetic when skoda has to pay out of the pocket under warranty etc.

I would say go with the heart. We dont know whats going to happen tomorrow. If its not an overkill and you are not draining all the money you have and would rather save some buying a skoda, then go for the Skoda. For all other reasons the 320D is my FAV. Stunning car.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 08:37   #10
BHPian

Well in this situation since you mentioned the car is also going to be used by your family, it would be better to go in for something which is more reliable and gives you peace of mind.
If I were you, I would go in for the new Skoda as I would want peace of mind and above all I would not like to see the elders in my family suffer/ go through any inconvenience because of my decision if there is a break down or any issues with the car.
bigben is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 09:31   #11
BHPian

Quote:

Audi Q3

Skoda Octavia

BMW F30 320D

Are BMW's more susceptible to run flat/rim damage and hydrostatic locks or am i worrying too much.

Help me guys!
Since you are considering whole host cars across a broad price range, have you considered pre-owned Volvos too?
I have seen that BMW dealerships are more than happy to sell pre-owned cars for a good price. Check if they are ready to offer AMC, thats your best "insurance" for German reliability (pun intended).

Last edited by freedom : 23rd September 2015 at 09:33.
freedom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 10:45   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Skoda Octavia

2.0 TDI AT Octavia anniversary edition costs around 25L on road Delhi with 4 year Skoda warranty, after 60k cash discount and another 60k saved on insurance, this is going to cost well under 24L for a brand new Rio Red Octavia.
coolboy007, go for the Octavia TDI DSG with eyes closed and park the rest of the money in a mutual fund. Keep in mind that the TDI has an inferior suspension than the TSI. TD both and then take a call.

You Delhi guys are lucky - the BLR dealers are not giving even one rupee discount especially on the Anniversary Edition.

Do you have any pictures of the Rio Red? If so please post them; I have seen only one Rio Red Octavia so far in BLR!

Last edited by GTO : 23rd September 2015 at 15:40. Reason: Uploading scans of copyrighted print material is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 10:59   #13
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You know the routes my car will travel to much better than any one else, seriously wondering if a 320D will survive the torture Himachal throws every monsoon. BMW is a very desirable prospect but am worrying about the runflats and since the car is over a year old, i can not even go for BSI packages.

As suggested Octavia is more suited for your requirement as with Beemers with famous "hydrolock" during monsoon can be big issue. Also without BSI a pre-owned is a big no no. IMO you can purchase BSI as beemers comes with 2 years company warranty.

Last edited by v&v : 23rd September 2015 at 11:01.
v&v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 10:59   #14
BHPian

Why not consider VW Jetta in comparison to Octavia? The rear suspension set-up on Jetta TDI would be much better compared to Octavia TDI.

The only downside would be that Octavia is much more loaded in terms of features and on the anniversary edition.

Cheers,
Ardy
Ardy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 11:03   #15
Team-BHP Support

Get the 320d. No question about it. The driving experience will be far superior and its a better built car.

After owning Skodas and BMWs my opinion is now that the BMWs are more reliable, simply due to the clueless after sales of Skoda. Anything beyond the purview of normal service leaves them dumbfounded.

Also the BMW seems to pull your heartstrings more.

BTW who said you cannot get BSI? You can get BSI and extended warranty anytime within the 2 years of normal warranty. The only issue is they will be valid from the date of sale. So you lose 1 year.
Akshay1234 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks