Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2006, 18:20   #16
BHPian

Hi Nitin,

Insane devil has mentioned the chevy optra. I would second it since you say that the car would be used sparingly and possible to seat 5 people and there is a 3 year Free service hence very less maintenance also it would be among the most luxurious among the other choices. Pricewise you will have to look for a good deal although seems a tad stretched on budget.

Second choice Innova.
Old 26th September 2006, 07:31   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Car For The Army Man !!!!

I personally like an SUV,and my FIL (54-56yrs)..is an ex-army personnel.. you talk about his image..he's one tough person, and I'm sure the SUV would suit him.

Hello Nitin,

My choices(with the basis):

1.Chevorlet Tavera(you get a good original Japanese design - remember-this was an Isuzu once...reasonable spares and very high reliability and very simple technology)
2.Innova(The best of Japanese Technology...slightly more expensive )
3.Scorpio CRDe(Indians are not far behind either)

I recommend

1.a test drive of all variants of all these which fall in budget
2.look at exactly what the "Fauji" wants from his vehicle

and then settle for the best choice of make/variant.

Please tell your FIL not to spend more money on a feature which he would not use.

My respects to him..my dad also served the army from '52 to '78 .

All The Best In Your Quest !!!!!

Somnath
Old 26th September 2006, 19:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

How is the Scorpio? In terms of functionality,drive quality etc? I'll tell my FIL to check the prices in the Canteen too. I'm aware of the fact that there's usually a pretty big difference in the price.
Can someone give me info on the Scorpio? pros..cons..
Old 26th September 2006, 20:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

Nitin,

You might want to do some search on the forums. The following threads have good information. There are lots more.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-scorpio.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...de-innova.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...km-report.html
Old 27th September 2006, 00:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, hondadude. that was helpful.
I've been reading up a bit about the Scorpio. Many people have said that there are problems with the A/C and that minor leaks surface in no time. For example, the petrol valve/pipes have cracked in some cases, when the vehicle had done just 1500kms. Are there any other common problems faced with the scorpio?
Anyone who owns a scorpio...please give me some details..
Old 27th September 2006, 17:21   #21
BHPian

Hey Nitin,

Great to hear abt ur FIL's army background, so now the SUV suits him just right, and IMHO...u could pick the Scorpio (new or used) blindeyed!

Had it from Sep.2003 to Aug 2005 (2 years) and drove it around in between 62,000-65,000 kms! It was a great one, and i actually used to rip the engine to the extremes! got an exhaust system in it too!

The scorpio is a beauty! and drives like a baby! in the 2 years of blissful ownership and rugged driving, never faced any problems, except once abt the Speedometer stick wavering a bit. that was a minor, if not, it was awesome! No problems ever with the AC either, and what u have heard, seems to be a very rare problem, coz i have never come across that myself, or never heard of it around here. Am in the automobile business also, myself.

Now see, extreme cases are always there in any car! even Mercedes makes a couple of lousy pieces sometimes, as with GTO's C Class... is that rite, GTO? was urs, wasnt it?

Generally, a great vehicle, with very cheap maintenance! spares of Scorpio are dirt cheap, and are reliable too!

suggest go for a new one for best results!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks