Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2006, 22:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hello,
I tried posting this earlier,but for some reason it didn't show up in the list of threads.
My father-in-law has been looking at going in for a new car. We have a few options,and I'd like everyone to rate them in their order of preference. If you could add in some pros/cons of each car,that would really help...

1) Toyota Innova (new)
2) Mahindra Scorpio (used/new)
3) Ford Fiesta (new)
4) Chevy Aveo (new)
5) Tata Marina (new)

The car will be used moderately,and ideally, be able to seat 5-6. I know that an SUV would be my best bet,but the period of use (with 5-7 people) is limited.

I'd really appreciate any inputs on this...
Thanks..

Have a good one.
Nitin
Old 23rd September 2006, 23:01   #2
BHPian

Hey Nitin,

I would have said the Scorpio as the best buy, for sure, but then, as u say its for ur Father-In-Law, am not sure if he would like the Scopio image. Its more robust and challenging kinda...

So out of the choices u have given, IMHO.. the recommendations wud be just what u have written out!

The Toyota Innova is a very good contender in this segment, and if and only if ur FIL doesnt want a scorpio, you should go for this. The new Scorpio is spacious enough, and no problems at all in any kind. lovely car, and the suspensions are lot better than before. Getting in and out of the rear doors (behind Driver) is a bit difficult for aged ppl as its higher than the innova. So if there are elders in the family, then the Innova is better.

The other 3 cars, Fiesta/Aveo/Marina... well, i would recommend the Optra more than these 3. When your FIL is ready to spend for a new Innova, then sure can buy an Optra too in that range. its a very nice car, lot better than fiesta/Aveo/Marina.

If he is in no great hurry, i suggest if u do want a sedan, then wait for the Hyundai Verna. its doing good around the globe, and sure is bound to be a great car on Indian roads too. Backed by a lovely CRDi engine, the Verna is bound to please ur FIL in all ways.

Also, reading ur lines, i see that ur FIL is interested in SUV's too... so if he thinks the Scorpio and Innova are too big/bulky, the new Ford Fusion is also a great choice. that would be a perfect mix of sedan comfort and SUV performance. Can adjust to 4 ppl in the back at times, as u say that wud be very limited.

So finally conclusions:
1. Toyota Innova ( Only coz its for ur FIL, if not Scorpio all the way!)
2.Mahindra Scorpio
3. Ford Fusion (if keen on SUV) / Hyundai Verna (if keen on sedan)
4. Chevy Optra
5. Ford Fiesta

hope this helps, i know it helps in confusing ur mind even more, but do give these a thought.
Old 23rd September 2006, 23:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

People movers can be classified in two different segments.

MUV's

Chevy tavera
Toyota Innova

Suv's (includes semi Suv's like scorpio too)

Ford endeavour
Mahindra Scorpio
tata safari

you can include wagons and Big hatches too such as

Chevry SRV
Fiat adventure
Ford Fusion
Skoda Octavia Combi
Tata indigo marina

While you have not mentioned it here. please do post his priorities such as

comfort, budget, maintainence, necessary features.

Going by the price range of around 7-8 lacs with comfort and space as a priority and spares and maintainence as a secondary priority, look for

Tata safari DICOR. Crdi is frugal enough for a heavy behemoth, Is the most comfortable SUv you can find when you consider comfort. tata dealers and service stations are abundant. Small niggles and heavy body are the biggest drawbacks and a new Safari is expected in some months now.

Toyota Innova. Toyota is second only to Honda when it comes to Image in India. Innova as others have said seems to be a good car too. THough I dont have a first hand experience of this car, Toyota is pretty reliable. Space and features are good on this car.

Other cars to check out would be Chevy tavera, Mahindra Scorpio, Indigo marinda Diesel and Fiat adventure diesel.

Post your requirements and check these out.
Old 23rd September 2006, 23:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car will be used moderately,and ideally, be able to seat 5-6. I know that an SUV would be my best bet,but the period of use (with 5-7 people) is limited.

that line puts paid to scorpio & innova, i guess. so, if the choice is bertween the other 3, i would suggest, you do a search for the reviews of these cars. i am sure there has been extensive reviews done already. after going through them & you still cannot decide, get back here.
Old 23rd September 2006, 23:41   #5
BHPian

Hey Devarshi, i confused him half the way, and u confuse him all the way by adding another long list of cars .

Well adding more to his confusion, Can even consider the RHINO! hahaha!

Nitin, that was a joke, so plz dun get serious thinkin abt the Rhino!

Tavera would be more appropriate here, check that out too.
Old 24th September 2006, 23:39   #6
BHPian

Hey nitin i would suggest you to go for the Scorpio.
Old 24th September 2006, 23:51   #7
BHPian

Imo Innova seems to be the best bet.... Well it would have been better if you could have given us your budget and what kind of mileage are you expecting to do on your car....
Old 25th September 2006, 00:03   #8
BHPian

i would def reccomend the scorpio...good car like feel with tht amaazing powesteering..comanding view...very powerful...more spacios than sedans..and almost as powerful as them...
Old 25th September 2006, 00:23   #9
Team-BHP Support

I think all this is a bit too subjective. Unless a person has a strong desire for a particular brand/type of car (in which case he/she is better off buying that car, everything else being ok) your list covers a vast gamut of cars which cover a wide array of functionality and class of cars.

I think you need to decide the personality of your FIL, requirements, desire etc. Normally for senior people a sedan may appeal a lot more than any other type. In that case Optra is a really good choice. If it is a really big spacious mover your FIL is looking for then of course nothing beats the Innova. 5 people can be much more at home in an Innova than any sedan.

However, Scorpio will find a special mention for one reason. At your FIL's age (I am assuming he is around 60, at least) if he is going to drive Scorpio with its height and commanding view will probably be a lot easier to drive than any other car. Of course it is a strong masculine car with a hoot of an engine... but then that's another story.
Old 25th September 2006, 00:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Dont think too much - go for an Innova.
Old 25th September 2006, 01:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Steeroid here. Coupled with your FIL's requirements & Toyota's quality I would blindly recommend the Innova here. Buy the G version with all the normal goodies & triple A/C & you've got a great vehicle for our roads.

Also remember when compared to the Scorpio the Innova is WAY ahead especially with regards to NVH & Quality. Not to mention Reliability & After Sales Service. These points alone should be enough to sway you towards the Innova.

Plus, the Innova is good value right now due to the discounts available so that should sweeten the deal further for you!!

Last edited by iraghava : 25th September 2006 at 01:31.
Old 25th September 2006, 06:19   #12
BHPian

Innova is the car for you.Don't even think abt anything else man.just go for it.It's the best in class VFM comfortable car for 5-6-7 people.
Old 25th September 2006, 10:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

As I see it, the Innova seems like a popular choice.I'm gonna have to read up more about its powertrain, pros/cons etc. I personally like an SUV,and my FIL (54-56yrs)..is an ex-army personnel.. you talk about his image..he's one tough person, and I'm sure the SUV would suit him.

Talking about used cars, among the Scorpio,Innova and Fiesta- which ones are worth going in for used cars? I guess my FIL's budget is about 5-7lakhs. Which of these cars (used)are best in terms of build quality & parts? [A car that has been maintained well,and has a moderate number of miles on it. ]
Old 25th September 2006, 17:27   #14
BHPian

You keep in mind A.S.S. Scorpio will be better than the rest as probability of spares availability will be higher. Innova will be the best as you are looking for 5-7 people. I use Fiesta which is a very good car but with horrible service and support from Ford India.
Old 25th September 2006, 17:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi Nitin,well as your FIL has retired from the army ,would also suggest you to check the canteen prices of these vehicles (am not too sure if there has been a change in policy but till i remember the price difference has always been huge.)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks