Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2006, 15:15   #1
BHPian

Hi...

I am planning on buying a car this November between 6-7lakhs.

Before the Verna was out I had locked on the Fiesta ZXI but then after having driven the EXI was very satisfied with the performance. For city driving I felt the power was adequate though I myself am a handling buff. The handling was really impressive.

The came the Verna...I test drove both the diesel & petrol though I am only a petrolhead and this is what Im planning to buy.

The petrol left me very disappointed in terms of its low rev performance. It was a bit sluggish out of the box.

Then I spotted a lot of thread around the net about the problems faced by Fiesta customers in terms of suspension noise, engine power letting down on the EXI after a year and so on.

Can someone pl. help me with this. I mean I would love to hear from Fiesta owners.

Thanks
Deepak
Old 16th October 2006, 09:35   #2
BHPian

Verna VTVT Xi or Fiesta 1.6 ZXI

I am looking at buying a 1.6 Petrol and finding it tough to decide between the Fiesta 1.6 ZXI and Verna Xi. The following are my observations

Verna Xi vs Fiesta

1. Verna is more spacious than Fiesta especially the rear width and the legroom. For me it seems the back seat shoulder room is only as big as in a swift, correct me if im wrong. Also found the front seats width and depth of the Verna much bigger than the fiesta.

2. Verna's steering is too light, could not check the response at high speed since my test drives have been through choked bangalore roads and the dealers are too stingy to let me take it for a long drive to a road that is empty citing there are customers waiting to test drive. So can anyone throw some light on how the steering behaves at high speeds, does it stiffen?

3. Fiesta is a joy to handle and one stunner of an engine, the roar when the vehicle accelerates is enough to fall in love with the machine. Not sure about the Verna though and if it really provides the joy of a 1.6 litre.

4. Unsure about the mileage of the Verna and during the test drive found the suspension of the Verna a little too

5. Looking at the features that come with the Verna Xi like height adjuster, power rear view mirrors, i feel the fiesta zxi is overpriced

My requirements

1. For the price of 7.4 L OTR bangalore i want a car that is spacious too..
2. Should have decent handling and the engine should have a good throttle response and should feel as 100 bhp +. Fun to drive, though i wont be taking her around for a wheel spin or cornering at 80kmph..
3. Good Build and quality.
4. Decent mileage of between 10-11 in bangalore city driving conditions.

Team bhpians help is required to help me make my choice.
Old 16th October 2006, 12:35   #3
BHPian

Trying to add a impprtant point about service-

Hyundai service in B'lore is better anyday than Ford service in B'lore.
That way you can have some peace in life if you go for Verna.

Rest I am not sure how to compare the two, as I have not deiven Verna yet.
Old 16th October 2006, 12:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Well, if you were to compare just the engines, Fiesta beats the Verna pretty much hands down but thats that. Hyundai support is miles ahead of Ford, atleast in Bangalore. This is essentially the big plus and it matters a lot if you are planning to keep the car for 4+ yrs. As you have rightly observed, the rear seat in the Verna is much more spacious than the Fiesta. Its truly a C+ segment car. I am not sure of the Mileage but I think it will meet your expectation of 10-11 in the City.
Old 16th October 2006, 12:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superamerica
5. Looking at the features that come with the Verna Xi like height adjuster, power rear view mirrors, i feel the fiesta zxi is overpriced
There are major discounts till the end of this month, the Fiesta 1.6 SXI which has all the bells & whistles you are looking for will probably work out cheaper than the ZXI. See the posts from our member Talkingpebbles who has booked a SXI for more details.

And I couldn't agree with you more that the adrenalin surge when you floor the pedal in the 1.6 Duratec is highly addictive ....can't comment about the Verna petrol as I haven't driven it but I did see some acceleration figures elsewhere on this Forum that confirmed that it was slower than the Fiesta (outright as well as roll on).
Old 16th October 2006, 12:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Go for fiesta if you want fun to drive and better throttle response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superamerica
2. Should have decent handling and the engine should have a good throttle response and should feel as 100 bhp +. Fun to drive, though i wont be taking her around for a wheel spin or cornering at 80kmph..

Last edited by abhibh : 16th October 2006 at 12:49.
Old 16th October 2006, 12:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

Dear Superamerica

On 26th June you said you have shortlisted the Swift/Getz/Palio 1.6 Sport on this thread.

While that thread was still being replied to by many of our members, you had "almost zeroed in" on the Fiesta 1.4 on the 4th of July in this thread.

And finally arent you the person who brought us the first review of the Verna?

Is this the final query? Your requirements seem to be inconsistent when compared across different timeframes.

Last edited by Steeroid : 16th October 2006 at 12:54.
Old 16th October 2006, 12:56   #8
BHPian

I must confess that I have booked the Fiesta SXI before I tell you to go for Fiesta. The only reason you should go for a Verna will be the after sales service. Otherwise, Fiesta is anyday a better 'driver's car'. And I am sure you have experienced it already. Good luck!
Old 16th October 2006, 14:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Come on Steer, give the poor guy a chance! Not the first time have I seen wannabe purchasers on this forum start with a car in mind and then end up doing a 360 and going for something totally different!
Old 16th October 2006, 14:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
Come on Steer, give the poor guy a chance! Not the first time have I seen wannabe purchasers on this forum start with a car in mind and then end up doing a 360 and going for something totally different!
I was just wondering if superamerica would post yet another query for the Aveo while we're all busy trying to decide b/w the Verna and the Fiesta for him....

speaking of which - whatever happened to the Aveo? There's hardly any mention of the car since its launch.

Last edited by Steeroid : 16th October 2006 at 14:57.
Old 16th October 2006, 15:12   #11
BHPian

[quote=Steeroid] I was just wondering if superamerica would post yet another query for the Aveo while we're all busy trying to decide b/w the Verna and the Fiesta for him....QUOTE]
B+ to C segment in a few months.. at this rate, he's prolly going to book the Civic !
Old 16th October 2006, 17:19   #12
BHPian

Let me clear the doubts that fellow bhpians might have about my purchase. That enquiry about the swift/getz/palio was for my Dad and we picked the swift.

Meanwhile i was looking around for a car for myself and had looked at the fiesta and yes almost finalised it but then heard about the verna launch and decided to wait. I guess all of us do it when we hear an impending launch.

And by the way Aveo has and never been in my scheme of things and I cannot afford the civic..
Old 17th October 2006, 02:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

You mentioned this car is for your use? Stick with the Fiesta 1.6. The Verna might have been ideal for your dad.
Old 17th October 2006, 09:39   #14
BHPian

SA, I was jus kidding. One more vote for the Fiesta, dude. Take a look at the Fusion too, it's atleast a lac cheaper, it's got the same engine, acres of space, and was the Driver's car of the year 2005(Autocar).
Old 23rd October 2006, 04:09   #15
BHPian

I wanted to ask the same question in this forum. but luckily found this thread. Though i would be buying in another year, i would wait for the New Baleno that is supposed to debut in Mid-2007. But as of now, I am quite ready to go Fida...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks