Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2006, 18:21   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
Currently i get 8kmpl in city, the best i have got is 10kmpl in the city.
That is low. But then I also remember you mentioning on the forum that you prefer to remain in 2nd or 3rd gears in the city. That would explain the low FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
i get 13 kmpl in the highways now & the best i got was 15kmpl.
The 15kmpl sounds more or less OK. But 13kmpl is low. Again, is a heavy foot the culprit ?
Old 7th December 2006, 19:03   #47
BHPian

Well, i get 13kmpl in city and 16kmpl on highway runs in my 2006 Esteem Vxi. And i get 11.5-12kmpl in city and 14kmpl on highway runs in my 2006 Baleno.(Both cars with A/C on all the time)

There you have it, IMHO, the Esteem is slightly more fuel-efficient compared to the Baleno, but then its only natural isn't it? considering the Bigger engine in the Baleno and the fact that the Baleno is 100kgs heavier than the Esteem.

Last edited by prince85 : 7th December 2006 at 19:12.
Old 7th December 2006, 19:08   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Currently i get 8kmpl in city, the best i have got is 10kmpl in the city. i get 13 kmpl in the highways now & the best i got was 15kmpl.
If i remember right, i guess you have a 1998 Carb Esteem(correct me if i am wrong). I guess your car being a carburetted one is possibly the reason for you getting slightly lesser FE compared to the MPFi Esteems. I used to get similar FE like you in my 1997 Esteem Lx(which i have now sold).
Old 7th December 2006, 21:32   #49
Senior - BHPian

I get around 12 - 13km in chennai city with AC on all the time. I use only BP SPEED fuel. The esteem is a lot more easier to drive in the city. Would have been great if they had given the EPS instead of the HPS though. And maintenance, I tell you man is the best and economical. My annual maintenance expenditure at the service centre is close to 2.5K. Not to leave aside its trouble free performance. Can I ask for anything more ?
Old 7th December 2006, 22:33   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Ideal Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
- Purchase was deferred for this month, but may go into next year. Frankly, my brother got confused after seeing all the cars, he just decided to wait. As of now, he feels the Esteem, VFM and all, is dated and looks dated - but it is definitely easy to drive especially in the crowded parts of town.
johy
If you are going to drive mostly in city,there is no better vehicle than the Versa.Believe me,I have owned Ambys,Premiers,an Esteem and now this.Versa has no match when it comes to city driving,,easy manouverability,high seating,good visibility,excellent torque/pick up.Yes,it looks boxy but that can be spruced up with a spoiler and good mags/wheel caps.

Very good flexibility w.r.t space.

If not,no harm looking at the new Estilo
Old 11th December 2006, 17:21   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85 View Post
If i remember right, i guess you have a 1998 Carb Esteem(correct me if i am wrong). I guess your car being a carburetted one is possibly the reason for you getting slightly lesser FE compared to the MPFi Esteems. I used to get similar FE like you in my 1997 Esteem Lx(which i have now sold).
you are right. it is a 1998 carb esteem. but my friend who has a 1995 carb esteem gets 11 kmpl in the city & 16.5kmpl in the highway. i guess it is the heavy foot.

@SB... man, i sometimes do drive in the 1st gear also for long periods, speciall in Nelson Manickam Road & the stretch between thirumangalam signal & koyambedu signal (the road is 100 feet wide). lol
Old 11th December 2006, 17:43   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
@SB... man, i sometimes do drive in the 1st gear also for long periods, speciall in Nelson Manickam Road
Yeah, tell me about N.M.Road.
I have been driving on that road for 14 years now. And how has it changed (for the worse) over all these years ? Unbelievable.
Old 12th December 2006, 14:58   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra View Post
, ask him to check out the rear seat of the esteem. It can be quite cramped, and doesnt have a comfortable ride.

Nope, infact i find the rear seat in the Esteem extremely comfortable. My mom has a bad back and she too prefers Esteem's rear seat.

go for an Esteem. I bought 1 in 1999 and dont have the heart to sell it even though i have bought a new car. I drive the esteem during the weekends and enjoy the drive. It is very good VFM and maintenance costs are very low. There are no door rattles yet......
Old 12th December 2006, 19:52   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post
Nope, infact i find the rear seat in the Esteem extremely comfortable. My mom has a bad back and she too prefers Esteem's rear seat.
Ladies who are short in height might find Esteem back seats ok, but generally they are not at all comfortable. Getting out of the back seat could be quite troublesome for any body, leave apart elderly people. Once I have seen a bulky foreigner trying his best to get out of an esteem taxi; finally he managed come out beaming
Old 13th December 2006, 01:11   #55
JRD
BHPian

hey johy..
as an esteem owner from the last 10years, i can assure you that the esteem will be a great fit for your brother..
at the current prices its the best value i mean the vxi is pretty loaded for 515. its a steal,
+ve of esteem: performance(its quick), fuel efficency, maintainence(still 600bucks for general service after 70,000kms on my esteem), reliable n proven, piece of mind.

-ve of esteem: built quality (doors and power windows in particular tend to be a little problem but nothing to worry about, its a quick fix), leg room in the back and the fact that the car is basically from the the late 80's.

i think i covered most of it and yeah looks can be altered to a huge extent, i have designed my own esteem and will send you the pics in january once its done. trust me a lot is possible..

overall as a value for money the esteem vxi is a better buy than the baleno lxi.. just for the simple fact of the number of accesories it comes with..
hope this helps
JRD.
Old 13th December 2006, 09:53   #56
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
overall as a value for money the esteem vxi is a better buy than the baleno lxi.. just for the simple fact of the number of accesories it comes with..
I wouldnt really call a car a "better buy" just because of the extra accessories. Theres a lot more to a car in terms of safety, comfort, ride quality, technology and performance. Its here that the Baleno trumps the Esteem.
Old 13th December 2006, 14:42   #57
Senior - BHPian

i agree with GTO, but what is the technology part in baleno that is more than in the esteem ? both are almost in the same timezones.
Old 17th December 2006, 13:42   #58

I have been an owning / driving an Esteem for last 5 months. Surely if you want VFM & peace of mind you can not go wrong with an Esteem. The resale value would , I guess, be higher. Only *** from Maruti is excellent. I not at all find the look to be dated. It a peppy car ideal for city driving. The only negative I have experienced is that it little cramped & getting in / out is messy if you are tall & bulky. But once it starts rolling, it is a delight.
Old 17th December 2006, 13:43   #59

The word I wanted to mention is After Sales Service....A.S.S
Old 18th December 2006, 11:20   #60
JRD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I wouldnt really call a car a "better buy" just because of the extra accessories. Theres a lot more to a car in terms of safety, comfort, ride quality, technology and performance. Its here that the Baleno trumps the Esteem.

I think you misunderstood me.. what i meant was for a buyer with a tight budget its better to buy a fully loaded esteem rather then buying a completely stripped baleno lxi. Which by the way comes with unacceptable 165 section tyres. no good for handling or any stability. I also mentioned the comfort of the esteem is not that good, especially the cramped rear seats. But i mean technology, performance and safety?. I dont see your point. Both these cars are really old and from the same era.

only technology i see better in the baleno is the e.p.s, climate control(vxi) and a slightly better suspension..
considering all this and the the tight budget i think the esteem vxi is a better fit for johy..

JRD.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks