Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2017, 21:35   #1
BHPian

Pre-owned BMW 320d, pre-owned Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI, or brand new Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG?

Hi,

I have started contemplating to buy a new car. This is after about 8 years of ownership of a Fiat Linea. The second car is not a need but just a want. The only reason that I want to get another car is to get an upgrade in terms of driving pleasure and performance.

The cars which I am considering are:

1. New Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG
2. Used BMW 320 D
3. Used Octavia 2.0 TDI DSG

The most important factor however which will enable me to buy the next car is the total cost of ownership. The total ownership cost of a car is not just the original on road price but many other elements which come over the period of ownership. I have worked some calculations and I needed some validation from members on the factor of costs emanating from parts failing and needing replacement as that is a grey area. I will need to keep that much money aside if I decide to buy a used car.

Since this will be second car for me and I considered the additional expense I will incur. The total annual amounts for owning the three cars in question here range from 5.7 lacs for the New Octavia to 3.7 lacs for the Used Octavia. The table below has the details on how the amounts are computed. I am also attaching the excel sheet with the working. What I have done is calculated the purchase value taking into account the interest compounded over the period of time I will keep the car + Insurance + Maintenance (Regular Servicing) + cost for replacing parts which will fail over time + Incremental fuel bill as compared to my current ride – Resale value.

I am not sure if I can afford the cars. There is no formula to decide on how much should one spend on a car. I don’t agree that it can be as much as one’s annual income or a percentage of it. It all depends on the total wealth one has, earning potential for the remainder of the career which will create enough savings for taking care of retirement and other long term goals which usually people have such a buying a house, education for children, corpus for medical expenses at a later age, etc.. My head tells me that a second car is a frivolous expense and not a need and hence I shouldn’t spend a single penny on it. The heart is itching for an upgrade and in order to convince my head I am telling my head that I probably can afford a car for which the annual cost of ownership is about 20% of my annual savings rate. With this ratio only a used Octavia fits the bill. The 2.0 TDI with the DQ250 is then the car which I can live with. The Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG is a better car with the multi link suspension and also the classier understated looks. However I find it now showing age and hence I prefer the Octavia. Although I am a petrol head I don’t have the risk appetite to buy a preowned 1.8 TSI with the DQ200 outside of warranty. In case I want to enjoy the Petrol Octavia I will have to buy it new but it has the highest cost in the three choices.

The priority for me is the performance specs with the 0-100 KMPH times being an important deciding factor. It has to be less than 10 seconds for sure. The new Octavia is an option in order to get a 180 BHP car and the used BMW is there for the same reason.

Of my analysis I am just not sure about two variables. One is the cost which I will have to bear for parts replacements due to ageing or failing abruptly. I have considered that for the 4 year old BMW this will be in the range of 2 lacs over the next 4 years whereas it will be about 1.5 lacs for the 3 year old 2.0 TDI DSG Octavia. The regular maintenance bill will be separate which will cover the various fluid changes and basic maintenance.

The second variable which I am not sure is the resale value.
I have assumed that a 8 year old BMW today will sell for 10 lacs and a 7 year old Diesel Octavia with DSG will sell for 4.5 lacs. These prices will appreciate by just about 3% per annum due to inflation.

Analysis on Car Ownership Cost (Excel Spreadsheet is also uploaded with the post in order to understand the working)
Pre-owned BMW 320d, pre-owned Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI, or brand new Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG?-car-cost-analysis.jpg

From the financial perspective the diesel Octavia wins in the table. I however wanted to take the opinion of other team bhp members. If the consensus is that my analysis is flawed as I will be staring a bigger expense or loss and the stress will be much higher with frequent breakdowns in the car then I will cancel my plans to buy the car for now. I am not considering any other car and hence any recommendations on a different make from my three choices will not help me that much.

I also have the below tables listing my personal views on the advantages and disadvantages of the choices. These views are personal and I understand that others can disagree with me.

Pre-owned BMW 320d, pre-owned Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI, or brand new Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG?-car-choices-advantages.jpg

Pre-owned BMW 320d, pre-owned Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI, or brand new Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG?-car-choices-disadvantages.jpg

Note to Moderators: Please excuse me for starting a new thread if this could be posted in an already existing one. You may merge the post if doesn't deserve a separate thread.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Car Cost Analysis.xlsx (14.2 KB, 765 views)

Last edited by RajBajwa : 10th August 2017 at 21:39. Reason: I had to edit the title to inclue the variant of the car choices
RajBajwa is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 23:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Pre-owned BMW 320d, pre-owned Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI, or brand new Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG?

Let me take a stab at this thread as i loved the way you almost gave a nice overview of all three cars.

I will assume you have eliminated all other cars in this price segment and you have finalized these three.

If money is not an issue with the budget presented above, just get the 320D. Even the petrol TSI is not a match in various aspect to the 320D. Step on the gas and you will see why people love this variant of BMW the most. Skoda still may want to you upgrade. That bimmer may not.

There are Lots of independent garages that have come up to take care of 320's. Only cons i can see is the cost factor.

At this price range do check the Mini S. Pocket Rocket

Last edited by VW2010 : 10th August 2017 at 23:44.
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 10:58   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pre-owned BMW 320d, pre-owned Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI, or brand new Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajBajwa View Post
This is after about 8 years of ownership of a Fiat Linea.
Great to hear that you hold onto cars for long . Very sensible, financially.

Quote:
The most important factor however which will enable me to buy the next car is the total cost of ownership
Buying a 20 lakh car is never about the total cost of ownership. In fact, it's all about diminishing returns for cars costing over 10 - 14 lakhs. There is the matter of depreciation, high maintenance costs & of course, the fact that cars from a segment below have become so darn competent.

Quote:
I am not sure if I can afford the cars
If you aren't sure, you shouldn't walk anywhere toward a used German out of warranty, especially a 4 - 5 year old BMW.

My recommendation to you - get a pre-owned Octavia that's still within the factory warranty. Do a thorough pre-purchase inspection on it, pay a VFM price and extend the factory warranty. Would recommend a pre-owned VW Jetta too, even though you've ruled it out.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 18:16   #4
BHPian

Re: Pre-owned BMW 320d, pre-owned Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI, or brand new Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Let me take a stab at this thread as i loved the way you almost gave a nice overview of all three cars.
If money is not an issue with the budget presented above, just get the 320D. Even the petrol TSI is not a match in various aspect to the 320D. Step on the gas and you will see why people love this variant of BMW the most. Skoda still may want to you upgrade. That bimmer may not.
There are Lots of independent garages that have come up to take care of 320's. Only cons i can see is the cost factor.
At this price range do check the Mini S. Pocket Rocket
Thanks VW 2010!

I love the 320D for the performance. It’s got the 180 horses, the german automotive pedigree of perfecting the car over years, it’s got all the works going for it. I however look at the car with a lens which tells me that the car retails at about $53,000 (~33 lacs INR) with all taxes on road in the developed markets, whereas we pay about 45 odd lacs for the same car due to the various import duties on parts and the higher taxes. That being said you are quite right that after upgrading to the Skoda I’ll still yearn to own a BMW some day.

The Mini S is quite the pocket rocket but since this purchase is for the primary car in the house I need the boot space and hence it has to be a sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Great to hear that you hold onto cars for long . Very sensible, financially.
Thanks GTO. I hope to keep it for some more time.

Quote:
Buying a 20 lakh car is never about the total cost of ownership. In fact, it's all about diminishing returns for cars costing over 10 - 14 lakhs.
True. I agree that the cost of the car is not the initial price but the overall monetary deficit which one incurs over the period of ownership which can be as much as 20 lacs over a 4 – 5 year period. My purchasing capacity is hence determined on the basis of me being able to spend/lose 20 lacs in 4 years and not by the fact that I have the required sum to purchase the car upfront without any loans.

Quote:
My recommendation to you - get a pre-owned Octavia that's still within the factory warranty. Do a thorough pre-purchase inspection on it, pay a VFM price and extend the factory warranty. Would recommend a pre-owned VW Jetta too, even though you've ruled it out.
Thanks. My head too tells me that. The Jetta is not completely ruled out. I just have a lesser preference for it. I know it is the better car compared to the Octavia and also the understated styling is more of my type. I have test driven all the three choices here - Used 320D, Octavia 2.0 TDI DSG and the new 1.8 TSI. I’ll also check the Jetta. Maybe that may change my view.
Old 12th August 2017, 11:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

If you are going to look at Jetta, just get the new octavia. I own a jetta from 2010. Today if I had to choose one sedan it may be between the elantra and Octavia where I will invariably bite my teeth and pick the Skoda in spite of its poor reputation knowing I have 4 years of worst case coverage.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2017, 12:29   #6
BANNED

Quote:
I love the 320D for the performance. It’s got the 180 horses, the german automotive pedigree of perfecting the car over years, it’s got all the works going for it.
Precisely, and that is why I too would recommend this over the other choices.
Quote:
I however look at the car with a lens which tells me that the car retails at about $53,000 (~33 lacs INR) with all taxes on road in the developed markets, whereas we pay about 45 odd lacs for the same car due to the various import duties on parts and the higher taxes.
Since you are contemplating a pre owned purchase, this aspect isn't relevant to you. No?

Quote:
True. I agree that the cost of the car is not the initial price but the overall monetary deficit which one incurs over the period of ownership which can be as much as 20 lacs over a 4 – 5 year period.
Not really that high as long as you import spares (there are very reliable suppliers online and getting parts, both genuine and aftermarket isn't a challenge with some patience) at the right prices and go to a reputed FNG, I don't see upkeep costs touching 5 lac/yr. How many kms do you think you will use it every year?
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 00:48   #7
BHPian

Quote:
The table below has the details on how the amounts are computed. I am also attaching the excel sheet with the working. What I have done is calculated the purchase value taking into account the interest compounded over the period of time I will keep the car + Insurance + Maintenance (Regular Servicing) + cost for replacing parts which will fail over time + Incremental fuel bill as compared to my current ride – Resale value.
Oh, very useful calculation indeed. How did you get the present resale value? Many websites like Cars24 show very low resale value of these cars than what you mentioned.

Also, I felt that you should have considered zero-dep insurance, instead of comprehensive insurance.

For the new Octavia, you have not considered any regular maintenance cost. Does the 4 year maintenance package really include all the charges?
Old 13th August 2017, 01:03   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
If you are going to look at Jetta, just get the new octavia. I own a jetta from 2010. Today if I had to choose one sedan it may be between the elantra and Octavia where I will invariably bite my teeth and pick the Skoda in spite of its poor reputation knowing I have 4 years of worst case coverage.

Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

Since you are contemplating a pre owned purchase, this aspect isn't relevant to you. No?
The BMW is still a choice. I was just making a statement that I find them overpriced in India compared to other markets due to the different duties and taxes. Even though I may buy it pre owned, it is still relatively expensive as it depreciates from a higher sticker price to begin with.

Quote:
Not really that high as long as you import spares (there are very reliable suppliers online and getting parts, both genuine and aftermarket isn't a challenge with some patience) at the right prices and go to a reputed FNG, I don't see upkeep costs touching 5 lac/yr. How many kms do you think you will use it every year?

The 5 lacs per year amount is not for upkeep but total ownership cost which is purchase price with interest plus maintenance, insurance - resale value. I am estimating a total of about 2 lacs as repairs bill over a period of 4 years. I am not sure of this number though. I am afraid that it might be more. My initial post has an excel file uploaded as well which has the calculations for the total money it will cost me for the three different choices over a period of 4 years.

Thanks for your advice about the option of importing spares directly through online channels and that I should be able to find a FNG who have the skills/expertise to work on such cars.

I currently drive about 8000 kms in a year. With two cars I think it will change to 7000 kms for the new car and 2000 kms for the old car in a year. I drive the car 365 days a year and I don't ever step out of my home without the car but still the running is less because my office commute is just a total of 20 kms for both ways 5 days a week and my weekend drives are only within the city.
Old 13th August 2017, 16:19   #9
BANNED

Quote:
I am estimating a total of about 2 lacs as repairs bill over a period of 4 years. I am not sure of this number though.
Definitely on the higher side.

At an estimated usage of 7k km per year, you will need a service once in 2 yrs and with less than 5k km/month, you will ideally not need any suspension replacements as well.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 17:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I have started contemplating to buy a new car. This is after about 8 years of ownership of a Fiat Linea. The second car is not a need but just a want. The only reason that I want to get another car is to get an upgrade in terms of driving pleasure and performance.
I'm here to offer an alternative point of view so you may either find it interesting or not helpful at all. Incase it is the latter, my apologies.

Considering you have mentioned that this is not a need but just a want, and also that you want to have an upgrade aside from wanting more performance, how about buying a comfy yet reliable used D-Segment car like a Teana or an Accord to drive about with friends who can enjoy and appreciate the space, comfort and quality of materials and have a good time together (Teana scores really high in all these three departments). With that out of the way, go to town modifying your Linea. In my experience, D-Segment sedans are only enjoyable to drive out on the highway, and the rest of the time, given our road conditions and traffic, they are honestly quite a pain in terms of driving pleasure. A heavily modified car (not just filter, exhaust, remap) is anyday quicker and more enjoyable to drive than a car from a few segments higher. Why pay so much more for maintenance and reliability concerns to a manufacturer that will only offer you a slightly better driving experience, when you can buy and fit all the components necessary from brands that purpose build them to deliver exquisite driving traits, to your existing car, and enjoy a MUCH better driving experience. Also, considering the Linea is manufactured locally, unlike any entry level luxury sedan, maintaining your thrills will be a lot easier. Smaller footprint also adds to the fun. Considering you have owned it for 8 years, you will have a certain familiarity when it comes to driving the car that will take some time to get with some other car meaning you can extract a lot more from the upgrades to it as well. With the money you save by not having to maintain an imported car you can also enter your modified Linea into drag and autocross events and truly take your driving experience to the next level. Overall, I feel pound for pound, you will find this to be the best option. If you are really serious about wanting an upgrade in driving pleasure and performance that is. Just mull it over

Last edited by IshaanIan : 13th August 2017 at 17:29.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 22:52   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I however look at the car with a lens which tells me that the car retails at about $53,000 (~33 lacs INR) with all taxes on road in the developed markets
Quote:
I was just making a statement that I find them overpriced in India compared to other markets due to the different duties and taxes. .
Apart from small hatch & midsize sedans, India is an expensive market for everything and that is not just restricted to cars in my opinion. Most of the premium cars from BMW/ MB here are sold with many extras as a standard against paid options in any other market. So out of door prices overseas after those loadings will be much higher.

Coming to your query, by my experience, if you have to buy a second hand, go for a BMW, something which is maintained at the dealership with low mileage, there will be many options as many people upgrade within BMW, if you are Ok with Chandigarh registered car, I can help you get in touch with the pre-owned sales guy at Krishna. If it has to be a new then I believe newer Skoda Octavia should be a good option.

Last edited by Turbanator : 13th August 2017 at 22:55.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 23:05   #12
Team-BHP Support

I haven't gone through the data you posted, but when you mention driving pleasure, and a BMW is one of the options, it becomes the default choice in my books.

Now let me warn you, the Linea ride will have spoiled you. And neither the BMWs nor the Skodas can match the low speed ride (less than 80kmph).

That being said, it seems you are looking to spend around 22-24 lacs. I would say find a good condition 3-4 year old 320d. They are fairly reliable and OEM parts are easily available nowadays which makes maintenance cheaper.

Also personally after having 3 BMWs and 2 Skodas I find the BMWs more reliable. Comparing with the vehicles friends own too, BMWs give less issues than Skoda when driven with relative care to the vehicle.
Akshay1234 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 18:30   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
Oh, very useful calculation indeed. How did you get the present resale value? Many websites like Cars24 show very low resale value of these cars than what you mentioned.
I checked the resale value using the section of Used Car Valuation for an 8 year old BMW which has already changed hands once. It shows 11 lacs for an 8 year old 2009 BMW 320D with two owners (Already a second hand car). I didn’t go with this number but assumed that it will be even lower at 10 lacs for such a car. I then have considered that even in the used car market prices will appreciate by 3% annually due to inflation when the overall retail Inflation in India might hover at 5 - 6%.

Now that you are mentioning that other websites like Cars24 are showing a much lower resale value then I should assume that the right market value for an 8 year old BMW 320D will be in the range of 8 – 9 lacs. If that is the case then the BMW becomes a more expensive proposition. I did the same thing with the Octavia Diesel. (7 Year Old Laura as it was the next generation Octavia sold it in India under a different product/car model name.) I have considered 4.5 lacs as the current price of the 7 year old car. Do you think that 3.5 lacs is a more realistic number? If that is the case then it may sell for 4 lacs after 4 years considering the future value of money @3% inflation for used cars.

Quote:
For the new Octavia, you have not considered any regular maintenance cost. Does the 4 year maintenance package really include all the charges?
I have assumed that the 4 year maintenance pack will cover all expenses in the regular servicing. If I am mistaken then there will be an extra expense on the consumables. The brand new Octavia is the most expensive in my three choices and this marginal maintenance expense will make it even more expensive. Based on the inputs received I am anyway dropping the new Octavia from my choices. The vRS Octavia will be sweet one but I think the on road price for the car will be in the 32 lac range in Bombay. If I were to spend that kind of money then I think I would rather pick a relatively less used BMW 3 series which may be just 2 years old or maybe even a 520D. Longitudinally mounted engine for the RWD over a transversely mounted engine any day.

Quote:
I felt that you should have considered zero-dep insurance, instead of comprehensive insurance.
You are right and I understand the advantages of the zero dep insurance but personally I’ll prefer the non zero dep insurance after one year. Some may call me ‘Paisa’ wise and ‘Rupee’ foolish and I get their point of view. I however look at it a as a risk which I am willing to carry for saving a few thousands on insurance premium. If I am lucky then I save the pennies and If I am unlucky then I pay a lot more in car accident repairs and the worst case will be a total loss scenario. I’ll still take the risk. I also think that zero dep insurance is not available on cars older than 3 years. I am not sure though.

Quote:
Definitely on the higher side.
At an estimated usage of 7k km per year, you will need a service once in 2 yrs and with less than 5k km/month, you will ideally not need any suspension replacements as well.
Thanks. Your inputs are helpful and much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I'm here to offer an alternative point of view so you may either find it interesting or not helpful at all. Incase it is the latter, my apologies.Considering you have mentioned that this is not a need but just a want, and also that you want to have an upgrade aside from wanting more performance, how about buying a comfy yet reliable used D-Segment car like a Teana or an Accord to drive about with friends who can enjoy and appreciate the space, comfort and quality of materials and have a good time together (Teana scores really high in all these three departments). With that out of the way, go to town modifying your Linea.
Thanks IshaanIan for your views. I love the Teana but not many are available as it was a sales dud in India which makes it servicing a lot more difficult as spares won’t be easily available. I liked the car. I wasn’t sure of the performance specs which I just looked up. The 2.5 V6 belting out 182 BHP will give a nice exhaust note. It touches the ton in 9.6 seconds which I find slow compared to the other choices and I don’t think it will be very agile as it is a relatively big car. Not something which I can throw around in corners. I’ll give it a pass.

Honda Accord
Nice car again. Personal view here. I don’t find any car which is discontinued in the market very appealing to buy. I know that is only discontinued only in India and is/was a super star car in other developed markets. On the specs the 2.4 Liter touches the 100 KMPH mark in a shade below 9 seconds. The 3 liter V6 has better times, I think that one will be in the sub 7 second range with the CVT. The exhaust note of this one is nice but again I will give it a pass as I just can’t see myself buying a car which is not in production or sale in the market where I am driving.

My Linea has the humble 1.4 NA Engine. I have never even bothered to check the 0-100 time for a car which I have for the last 8 years because it will make me hide my face with shame. I don’t see much potential in modding it. Plus the Fiats are notorious to give up problems. I hence I don’t want to fiddle around with it which I think is akin to opening up the Fiat Pandora Box.

I still appreciate you reading my query and giving suggestions. Thank You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Apart from small hatch & midsize sedans, India is an expensive market for everything and that is not just restricted to cars in my opinion. Most of the premium cars from BMW/ MB here are sold with many extras as a standard against paid options in any other market. So out of door prices overseas after those loadings will be much higher.
I agree. My statement is just a view and although I may feel that the BMWs are overpriced the fact of the matter remains that I live in India and I don’t have the choice. I will still hope to buy the Beemer some day or try to migrate out of India and enjoy cars which as percentage of the annual income are more affordable there plus you have better roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Coming to your query, by my experience, if you have to buy a second hand, go for a BMW, something which is maintained at the dealership with low mileage, there will be many options as many people upgrade within BMW, if you are Ok with Chandigarh registered car, I can help you get in touch with the pre-owned sales guy at Krishna. If it has to be a new then I believe newer Skoda Octavia should be a good option.
Thanks for your help. However I am now wholly based in Bombay. I should edit my profile to show the location as only Bombay. My Dad was earlier in Chandigarh and I used to drive his car there due to which I had mentioned that city also as my location. With him having moved to Bombay I have no connection with Chandigarh. I would therefore avoid buying a car there and then bring it to Bombay as I then will need to pay the Maharashtra Road Tax on the original price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
I haven't gone through the data you posted, but when you mention driving pleasure, and a BMW is one of the options, it becomes the default choice in my books.
Now let me warn you, the Linea ride will have spoiled you. And neither the BMWs nor the Skodas can match the low speed ride (less than 80kmph).
That being said, it seems you are looking to spend around 22-24 lacs. I would say find a good condition 3-4 year old 320d. They are fairly reliable and OEM parts are easily available nowadays which makes maintenance cheaper.
Also personally after having 3 BMWs and 2 Skodas I find the BMWs more reliable. Comparing with the vehicles friends own too, BMWs give less issues than Skoda when driven with relative care to the vehicle.

Thank You Akshay. I take your word on this matter based on your personal experience. I love the Linea inspite of the sub par performance of the 1.4 liter engine. The old school hydraulic power steering with feedback makes it an enjoyable ride at low speeds. Even at high speeds after exerting the puny NA engine I feel very safe with how the car behaves. For me she’s a keeper.

However coming to the new purchase decision, I have now dropped the New Octavia. The vRS is tempting but I won’t pay 32 – 33 lacs for it. I won’t be surprised if it goes beyond 35 lacs as I think it will be a CBU Import.
The choice is now between the Used BMW and the used Octavia (Unfortunately Diesel just because I have read too many negative things about the DQ200 doing its duty in the 1.8 TSI).

I am currently evaluating a 2014 Diesel Octavia. I need to get it checked at the Skoda Service Center for the history and search for any gremlins hiding beneath the hood. If the deal doesn’t happen then I’ll continue to search which is not so easy considering that I am particular about where the car is registered.

I prefer to buy my cars outright. 13 lacs for the Octavia and 1.5 lacs kept aside for the repairs makes it financially a bit more easier. However the 22 Lacs for the BMW will entail either taking part finance or emptying more of my pockets to purchase it outright. I am mentioning this because although I still have the budget of 22 for the car, financially the decision tilts in favour of the Octavia whereas the car enthusiast in me wants the BMW. I am a salaried individual and I don’t want the attention that the BMW draws but I am willing to compromise that just because of the performance factor.
Old 18th August 2017, 19:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hi. The BMW 320d is definitely the best out of the lot but then as mentioned in this thread, the cost of maintenance in the long run is a question and not going to be cheap.

Between a new Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI, used Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI DSG, I would say a used TDI DSG would be a better option simply because of the more reliable DQ250 gearbox. However, I think you will forget the Octavias once you drive the Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG. The Jetta feels much more planted and better to drive as compared to the new MBQ platform Octavias which are lighter and feel a bit loose.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 22:26   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi. The BMW 320d is definitely the best out of the lot but then as mentioned in this thread, the cost of maintenance in the long run is a question and not going to be cheap.
Yes. The BMW wins it on driving performance when it comes to the best of the three choices which I have. I am not bothered by the maintenance cost. Members who have owned the car have mentioned that it is relatively more reliable compared to the Skoda Cars. I can keep aside a couple of lacs for maintenance. Although I should be able to buy the 22 lac pre owned 320D outright I am not able to come to terms with the resale value which may be in the 8 – 9 lac range after 4 years. I think this resale value is realistic as we’ll be talking about an 8 year old third hand BMW. I believe the single biggest expense in owning a car or most things is the depreciation of value. All other costs such as maintenance, insurance, fuel bills etc. are secondary. I initially thought that I will be able to afford the used BMW simply because I can buy it without finance and also keep aside the maintenance money. I now am resigning to the fact that it is currently out of means. I am hence dropping it from my choices. The used Octavia it is for now.

Quote:
Between a new Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI, used Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI DSG, I would say a used TDI DSG would be a better option simply because of the more reliable DQ250 gearbox.
I have test driven both cars and my heart sang when I drove the 1.8 TSI which wasn’t the case with the TDI. Since I am buying a used car which most likely will be out of warranty or very soon will get out of it, I can’t risk buying the 1.8 TSI with the DQ200. So I have to make do with the TDI.

Quote:
However, I think you will forget the Octavias once you drive the Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG. The Jetta feels much more planted and better to drive as compared to the new MBQ platform Octavias which are lighter and feel a bit loose.
I agree on the Jetta and I have mentioned it earlier in the thread that I just find the looks outdated or boring. I give a lot of importance to the styling of the car and can compromise on other aspects for if the car is beautiful. Case in point, I bought the Linea in 2009 just because of the looks. The Octavia may border on being a bit flamboyant compared to the Jetta but I am smitten by it.

Thanks for reading my query and giving your opinion.
RajBajwa is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks