Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2017, 18:09   #16
BANNED

Re: New Skoda Octavia vRS vs Pre-owned BMW 3-Series GT?

Unfortunately I can't edit #12 post so making a new post.

I just talked to Akshaya Mercedes, Bangalore and they are saying the new facelifted CLA 2017 is 44.5 lakh on the road, so about 12 lakh more than the vRS which takes it out as an option unless they offer 5-7 lakh as a discount.

Last edited by GTO : 20th September 2017 at 22:33. Reason: language
VickyG is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th September 2017, 22:02   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyG View Post
Are you future me ? because you said all the things which I was thinking since last few weeks.
Ha ha maybe I am the future you. Or probably all enthusiasts think alike

I did not get to do a TD of the vRS, but definitely, it is always better to do one before buying. I will try and put up my review and ownership thread before it is too late. I have to overcome my laziness to type first.

I cannot comment about Bangalore roads, considering I have not driven much in Bangalore but I can say it will not be too different from Mangalore. If you are looking at comfort, you really need to experience the ride quality of the RS before taking a call. This one is a stiff ride. That apart, you get a fully loaded, true enthusiasts car for your money.

Last edited by GTO : 21st September 2017 at 10:30. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
carfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2017, 01:05   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

If you haven't owned diesel cars before then the BMW 2 Litre diesels will underwhelm you. More so since you mention you dont like engine noise and that you'll be driving mostly within city. These Diesels are better on open roads or when cruising on the highway. On the other hand VAG TSIs are butter smooth and refined. The DSG gear box has become infamous but I do feel that failure rates are coming down and that risk/ return ratio isnt that bad . It is a brilliant piece of equipment otherwise.

Frankly on Bangalore roads , performance of even the 1.8 TSI is wasted. If driving fast isn't your thing, then why suffer the harsh ride of the VRS on our great Bangalore roads? If you like features and space why dont you look at the Superb L&K? If I was in your shoes, I woudn't look beyond the top spec Octavia 1.8 TSI.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 21st September 2017 at 01:19.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2017, 03:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Though the badge doesn't matter to me much but I do see BMW ride quality being highly praised here.
If ride quality and comfort are key criteria, with all the features and in-cabin luxury, you should be considering pre-owned Mercedes and Audi as well. The ride quality of the BMW (at least the 320d which I have owned and driven extensively) isn't as good as Merc or Audi when it comes to city comfort.

I was about to mention how I forgot to spell out the difference between 3GT and vRS when it comes to RWD and FWD but considering your last post, I have reserved the comments for another time.

The DQ200 issues are quite old. If you keep your car stock and do not try to push the gearbox beyond the stock tune with a remap, you should be just fine. Just like a lot of modern auto gearboxes, they have evolved over time. Remember, you're buying this brand new with warranty and Skoda would be wary of saying no to you (at least TAFE in Bangalore) should you face issues - worst case scenario. Also, I don't think there has ever been an L&K in petrol in India. The Octavia is offered in 1.4 TSI Ambition and Style (both manual), 1.8 Style and Style Plus (both DSG AT); now vRS being added to the chain recently.

Last edited by GTO : 21st September 2017 at 10:31. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
rocksterraghu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 11:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately I can't edit #12 post so making a new post.

I just talked to Akshaya Mercedes, Bangalore and they are saying the new facelifted CLA 2017 is 44.5 lakh on the road, so about 12 lakh more than the vRS which takes it out as an option unless they offer 5-7 lakh as a discount.
Is this for the Sport CDI? I just got a Sport CGI quote from Chennai dealer and the on road after the pre-cess discounts and such was 40.5
Old 17th October 2017, 13:49   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Honestly - the 3GT is going to be a lot more practical a purchase.
Bangalore doesn't have great roads, and sees a lot of traffic - the vRS with it's stiffer suspension may not be as comfortable a drive and you would have to be a lot more careful.

The 3GT is also an excellent family vehicle - much more spacious, and the ride/handling balance will keep you happy. Looking at your requirements, this would be my pick.
The engine will be louder, but that is the only fly in the ointment!
Old 17th October 2017, 19:32   #22
BHPian

If you don't crave performance, what is the single largest motivator for you for the vRS? If you have the budget, why not explore Compass even though it is not a sedan? If it is the brand you seek then vRS shouldn't be in the conversation
Hells Bells is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 12:54   #23
BHPian

Did you decide on RS or some other model? Do share your purchase experience and what made you to go with the model you finally decided.
Old 6th December 2019, 10:26   #24
BHPian

Now that the vRS is coming back again in a more powerful avatar & at a higher price point(assumed), what do you folks think about these options? A Rear Wheel Drive 2 litre preowned BMW 320d diesel or a new 2 litre petrol Front Wheel Drive vRS?
Old 6th December 2019, 13:59   #25
Senior - BHPian

If it's strictly between those two, all else being equal, I'd go with the VRS simply because you get a fully loaded car with (critically) a warranty you can extend to a long, long time. BSI would be a lot pricier for the BMW.

However, if I were in the market for a VRS, I'd look out for a lightly used 330i or XE as well. The price depreciation on performance petrol cars is staggering (the VRS' used examples were spared somewhat on account of the overwhelming demand for them), and I'd consider one of these two over the VRS if the appetite for a pre-owned car exists.

IMO the only diesel car that should come into the conversation is the 530d. The 2.0 diesels are worlds apart from the 2.0 petrols in terms of performance and refinement and possess a wholly different character. It's like comparing apples and oranges.
iliketurtles is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 14:38   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
Now that the vRS is coming back again in a more powerful avatar & at a higher price point(assumed), what do you folks think about these options? A Rear Wheel Drive 2 litre preowned BMW 320d diesel or a new 2 litre petrol Front Wheel Drive vRS?
Out here I'm wondering how i missed this thread, whereas Iliketurtles has nailed it with his reply!

Back in 2017, we booked the vRS and right now I'm driving a pre-owned 328i. That should answer the question

However it isn't so easy a choice to make, and though both these cars put down similar power, it is the vRS that is more fun to drive straight out the showroom compared to the soft 3 series.

If you consider the 320D, the difference increases even more so. Heck, the 320D is several notches below the vRS in terms of fun to drive with its soft suspension, and loud and sluggish engine (compared to the vRS).
Bring in a lightly used 330i and we are on a more even page. The soft suspension is a quick and pricey fix (except in my case, i dont believe in doing things the easy way so I'm still running around getting my suspension up and running 100%).

Once that's fixed, I'd pick the RWD bmw especially if I plan to continue down the modification route.
The interiors are nicer, getting the tail out is a lot more fun, and as the power climbs - the 3 puts it down that much better! Perfect for the bachelor / child - free life!

In fact, if you're willing to wait I'm sure sparingly used G20 330i's will start showing up in the market - a stones throw from the vRS 245 asking price if not cheaper!
Heck, i saw a W212 E400 convertible up for sale in mumbai that can be had for similar money as the vRS on road. It will be more exclusive, quicker (a remap takes it to 400bhp), and a solid luxury barge.

At the price the vRS 245 is supposedly expected for - there are a ton of pre-owned options available that can be as much fun if not more!

But if you want a car that will double up as a family car over the weekends, with full warranty from the company, then the vRS with it's nicer backseat, better ground clearance (compared to the lowered bmw on aftermarket suspension), larger trunk and more practical interiors wins the vote.

In a nutshell:
New & will not modify - vRS

Open to used and open to tuning - a host of arguably better options that can be had for cheaper : my 300bhp stage 1 328i with cosmetic and suspension and other parts still worked out cheaper than a new vRS 230.
Heck even with stage 2 I will probably save some money! It isn't as practical, but when the going gets rough it's probably better to take an uber anyways.
lamborghini is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 15:23   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
In a nutshell:
New & will not modify - vRS

Open to used and open to tuning - a host of arguably better options that can be had for cheaper : my 300bhp stage 1 328i with cosmetic and suspension and other parts still worked out cheaper than a new vRS 230.
Agree with most points except this. Maybe it's just me, but the tremendous mod potential of the VRS is a big rationale. Use it stock and enjoy a brand new car for 2-3 years. Post that create a stage 2 beast with APR to retain interest. Parts anyway are cheaper than the BMW if replacements are required.
d_himan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 15:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Right now I'm driving a pre-owned 328i. That should answer the question
And a lovely one it is too!

Quote:
However it isn't so easy a choice to make, and though both these cars put down similar power, it is the vRS that is more fun to drive straight out the showroom compared to the soft 3 series.
This is an extremely valid point. The VRS is much more hardcore out of the box when compared to a 320d. A pair of Bilstein's will fix things significantly, but that shouldn't have been the case to begin with.

Quote:
At the price the vRS 245 is supposedly expected for - there are a ton of pre-owned options available that can be as much fun if not more!
Too true, 40 lakhs buys you a lot of car in the pre-owned market, cars that IMO are better options. You won't even have to go anywhere near 40 for the right XE, 330i or 530d.

Quote:
Point to be noted, mi lord. The Bimmer is definitely the better car to mod only because FWD has its limits. You can't defy the laws of physics. Even considering the few mods I have on my 328i , I've not spent even 50% of the price of what the VRS is gonna go for. The argument to go pre-owned with a performance petrol is compelling.
iliketurtles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 13:42   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Agree with most points except this. Maybe it's just me, but the tremendous mod potential of the VRS is a big rationale. Use it stock and enjoy a brand new car for 2-3 years. Post that create a stage 2 beast with APR to retain interest. Parts anyway are cheaper than the BMW if replacements are required.
Well, to be honest yes - the vRS parts may be cheaper than that of a BMW, but routine maintenance not much so but in this context - if you pick the BMW you're pretty much going to swap out a lot of the wear & tear parts like the suspension, brakes, etc. for better performance ones anyways.
It then boils down to electronics pretty much which is going to be a similar problem on both cars as they age, and in my opinion more so on a CBU German (vRS 245).

As for mod potential : Both these cars can handle stage 2. The 3 series will surprise you with the options available for it.
Yes, the vRS has been played around a lot more in India, but the 3 series is no saint.
lamborghini is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks