Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2018, 14:15   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Petrol sedan: Tata Zest or Toyota Etios?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post

This is not true. The Revotron on the Zest and Bolt are 4-cyl ones and based on the old Vista petrol engine (which was a Fiat engine if I am not wrong). That said, I shared examples in my post earlier where a couple of Zest(P) have done 70k kms each without any issues at all.

The Nexon and Tiago/Tigor use the same engine with or without turbo-charging. This is an all new 3-cyl engine which is planned for use in all the future models. Both the engines have been tested extensively as you mentioned.
I think I mentioned the same in the post you quoted- Tiago, Tigor and Nexon. They all use the Revotron.
Old 24th January 2018, 14:33   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
If i am not wrong, most of the Tiagos, Nexons and Tigors sold in Indian roads are Petrol powered ones - all based on the same Revotron engine. I do expect the depreciation to be more than Maruti/Hyundai for example - but not by a big margin anymore.
Since the OP has mentioned about Zest and you mentioned about the newer Tata cars, I assumed you are referring to the Zest engine when you said "same Revotron engine". Hence my post. Sorry if I got you wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
This is not true. The Revotron on the Zest and Bolt are 4-cyl ones and based on the old Vista petrol engine (which was a Fiat engine if I am not wrong). That said, I shared examples in my post earlier where a couple of Zest(P) have done 70k kms each without any issues at all.
Like others have suggested, City would be a very good option here. Since it is going to be used for highway drives, the bigger dimension of the car and the GC shouldn't be a concern. A loaded City might be hard to drive on bad roads due to low GC.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 18:20   #33
BHPian

Thanks everyone for sharing your views. I am avoiding Ford cars because of higher maintenance cost.

For CIAZ and Baleno, I don't think the Indian spec ones are crash tested.

I am inclined towards ETIOS but if TOYOTA stops producing it, would parts be still available after ten years.
Captain Haddock is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 19:41   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Haddock View Post
I am inclined towards ETIOS but if TOYOTA stops producing it, would parts be still available after ten years.
Automobile companies generally make parts available for about 10 years after a model is phased out. But if you want to be absolutely sure please contact TKM for their parts & support policy. Do this before you purchase so there are no surprises.
Old 24th January 2018, 19:44   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ I can safely say that you would need only regular consumables over 10 years on a Toyota.

With the number of Etios on the road, I don't see a reason why spare parts wells would run dry.
Old 24th January 2018, 19:52   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

As an owner of a 10+ year old indica, while common replacement parts like headlights and filters are still available, model specific parts like electrical and trim bits are already not available.

If this is the situation for one of their more popular models, one need only imagine the same for a slow mover like the zest.

Regarding Ford maintenance costs, you might want to check out the recent aspire and Figo threads. The days of the ikon are long gone, and Ford is actually among the cheaper cars to own from a maintenance perspective.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 02:07   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks everyone for sharing your views. I am avoiding Ford cars because of higher maintenance cost.
Ford came a long way in terms of spare parts price and also the cost of service. It is very competent nowadays. Gone are the days where Ford maintenance
costs used to create a big hole in our wallet. Don't disregard the Ecosport based on the maintenance cost.

But still if you are planning to go with Etios, it is a very good choice and it can serve you well for years to come.
Old 25th January 2018, 07:03   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
^^ I can safely say that you would need only regular consumables over 10 years on a Toyota.

With the number of Etios on the road, I don't see a reason why spare parts wells would run dry.
I agree but this would be the case for most cars sold today. The challenge though is replacement after accident of those parts that can't be hammered back into shape and painted to match. I like to think that Toyota would be better or as good as the best in this regard, but I confess to no basis for that belief.
Old 27th January 2018, 17:58   #39
BHPian

I was in Trivandrum Today and since I expressed a trust deficit about Trivandrum Motors on this forum, I decided that it's high time to check out the place in person. I wanted to test drive a Zest Petrol from there and contacted their sales team. My intention was to know how well they maintain their cars. I got a very bizarre response from them, an executive called me and asked me to drive the diesel variant. He argued that both are same, the most naive statement I ever heard from a car salesman. I understand that the petrol is a low seller so I asked him for a particular date in the future, he said he would get back but no response till now. So, my first impressions about the dealership is correct. Very unprofessional to say the least. So its official TATA ZEST is ruled out. I wanted to give TATA one last chance because I have fond memories of our old ESTATE and the NANO. TATA's dealerships are doing a fantastic job for the competition.

Last edited by Captain Haddock : 27th January 2018 at 18:00.
Captain Haddock is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2018, 20:40   #40
BHPian

Trivandrum motors is very un professional. Some months back I asked them for a test drive of Zest AMT. The sales person told that "they will arrange a diesel Zest and the car is exactly like the amt, except that the gear will shift automatically". I think, being a small dealer, they dont have test drive vehicles of slow selling models.

When I was in Cochin, I contacted Concorde Motors. They arranged test drive of Zest AMT and the sales man Mr Reni was very courtous and professional.

Last edited by ontheroad : 27th January 2018 at 20:42.
ontheroad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 08:28   #41
BHPian

I have not yet booked the
Etios because of the huge waiting period.

My primary highway car is a Wagon R which needs an engine overhaul and other works for making it highway worthy.

I have a lot of travel coming in March. I can't convince myself to get a white or silver Etios because of the resemblance to Taxis. I really need a new car by mid March atleast.

The prospect of buying a ZEST looms large. I took my friend's Aspire for a spin and found it to be cumbersome to drive. Both ZEST and ETIOS were pretty easy to drive. In traffic and on inclines it was exceptionally poor.

I ruled out the ZEST because of the lack of faith in the Trivandrum dealer but if they can deliver a good clean car, I can get it serviced by Concord Kochi.

I was reading some ZEST related posts and I have the following doubts.

1) Is the Revetron 4 cylinder unreliable, is it why it was not used in the NEXON ? Being TATA one can expect minor glitches but is there something really fundamental ?

2) Is the petrol used in India 10 percentage ethanol? Has the Revetron engine developed some issues regarding this ?

I liked the Honda Jazz but since it's Indian variant has not been administered the NCAP tests, I have concerns over safety.

I usually extract the last drop from my cars so resale is not a factor.

My previous highway car was an ESTATE which was rock solid and safe. The ZEST with its heavy built and NCAP ratings reminds me of the old car.

After driving a non airbag non ABS Wagon R for over 6 years on interstate highways, I need something safe.
Old 1st February 2018, 10:58   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

1) Is the Revetron 4 cylinder unreliable, is it why it was not used in the NEXON ? Being TATA one can expect minor glitches but is there something really fundamental ?
When the Zest was launched they had the old engine while the work was going on the new engine (3-cyl 1.2L). For the later cars (Tiago and Nexon), they have used the new engine. That's shouldn't mean the old engine was bad.
Quote:
2) Is the petrol used in India 10 percentage ethanol? Has the Revetron engine developed some issues regarding this ?
Not at all likely. However, you could shoot a mail to TaMo to check if the engine was incompatible with E-10 petrol.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 11:14   #43
BHPian

Quote:
I have not yet booked the
Etios because of the huge waiting period.
The prospect of buying a ZEST looms large. I took my friend's Aspire for a spin and found it to be cumbersome to drive. Both ZEST and ETIOS were pretty easy to drive. In traffic and on inclines it was exceptionally poor.

I ruled out the ZEST because of the lack of faith in the Trivandrum dealer but if they can deliver a good clean car, I can get it serviced by Concord Kochi.

I liked the Honda Jazz but since it's Indian variant has not been administered the NCAP tests, I have concerns over safety.

I usually extract the last drop from my cars so resale is not a factor.
Sir, I own a Zest Revotron for the past 2 years (ODO is about 19000kms). So far I'm happy with the ownership. No niggles or problems so far. Ride quality is good and interior is spacious. These were my requirements apart from safety features such as ABS and Airbags.
I don't think the 4-cylinder Revotron engine used in Zest has quality issues or unreliable. To alleviate concerns of potential customers, I remember Tata conducting a Endurance run with Zest, Bolt and Tiago (see here)

On why the same engine was not used on the Nexon, here is my guess. The engine block in Zest is made of cast-iron and is heavier. The 3-pot engines in Tiago, Tigor and Nexon are All-aluminium and hence lighter. Although, the one in Petrol Nexon seems to be a turbo-charged version of the Tiago petrol engine.

Regarding, usage of fuel with 10 percent ethanol (E10), please read BHPian arindam_xeta's thread on his problems with Zest Revotron misfiring possibly due to E10 fuel. Finally, TML seems to have recommended him to use normal fuel instead of E10.

P.S: As of today, my Zest is getting its rear bumper replaced due to a minor accident on Republic day in Bangalore. For details see here. Thought I would share this info since you place lot of importance on passenger safety while deciding your next car.
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 11:24   #44
BHPian

Quote:
I have a lot of travel coming in March.

The prospect of buying a ZEST looms large. I took my friend's Aspire for a spin and found it to be cumbersome to drive. Both ZEST and ETIOS were pretty easy to drive.
There certainly are some positives with Zest. The space inside is exceptional and 3 adults in rear can be seated comfortably. Since you have mentioned about lot of travel, the high seating of Zest might prove to be useful. With Zest, the driver sits higher compared to other sedans. I have personally experienced pain in foot while driving Vento with low seating while never experienced the same with Zest over similar distances.

The engine isn't latest tech so the performance isn't scorching but it can keep the pace on highway. Just stay in sport mode and keep revs above 2000 rpm to get the boost from turbo. Of course, this comes at the cost fuel efficiency which takes a beating but the car is fuel-efficient if driven with light-foot and revs not crossing 2000 rpm.

As for the suspension, it is extremely compliant and certainly prevents sharp bumps from being felt by passengers. Downside is that handling is boat-like when not loaded and driven spiritedly. And did I mention that the AC is a chiller and super-effective even in harshest climate.

Overall, with 3 years of ownership in family, I have found Zest to be a good family car for someone who values comfort over performance and handling. My father is a senior-citizen and the touch-points for him are light clutch, easy ingress/egress, soft suspension and good AC. I don't think he even realises that car has non-existent top-end, simply because he has never red-lined the car.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 11:54   #45
BHPian

Quote:
I have a lot of travel coming in March. I can't convince myself to get a white or silver Etios because of the resemblance to Taxis. I really need a new car by mid March atleast.

After driving a non airbag non ABS Wagon R for over 6 years on interstate highways, I need something safe.
I believe you can have a look at Jazz. India made Mobilio scored a pretty decent 3 star rating in Global NCAP. I am pretty confident that quality in Honda Jazz which is an international model unlike Mobilio would be similar or maybe even better. Its even more apparent, with similar kerb weight for both Mobilio and Jazz even though Mobilio is a much bigger car.

Mobilio test report

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks