Team-BHP - Honda Amaze vs the competitors
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Sedans (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/)
-   -   Honda Amaze vs the competitors (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/200750-honda-amaze-vs-competitors.html)

Honda Amaze vs the competitors-amaze-comparo.png

Honda Amaze

What you'll like:

• An all-rounded compact sedan & one that's well-priced too
• Spacious, practical interiors. Ambience is far better than the outgoing car's cheap cabin
• Diesel + CVT combination is unbeatable! Indisputably the segment best
• Suspension offers comfortable ride quality with neutral on-road behaviour
• Features such as cruise control, paddle shifts (petrol AT), touchscreen ICE with Android & iOS, reversing camera…
• Dual airbags, ABS, rear parking sensors & ISOFIX are standard across the range
• 3-year unlimited km warranty, extendable to 5-years & unlimited km

What you won't:

• Tall rear passengers will find headroom to be insufficient & the fixed headrests useless
• Diesel's NVH, although improved, is far from class-leading. Not high-rpm friendly either
• Petrol CVT is fair within the city, but rather mediocre on the highway
• Automatics are unavailable in the top VX variant. Period
• Dzire offers more 'bling' & features (LED projector headlamps, auto-headlamps, flat-bottom steering, rear air-con, nicer ICE…)
• Look closely and you'll find a few faults in part quality, fit and finish (uncool for a Honda)
• The 175 mm tyres are too thin & the 35-liter fuel tank too small

Link to Official Review

Maruti Dzire

What you'll like:

• A great looking Dzire…and an all-rounder too
• Smart packaging! Spacious, stylish & practical cabin. Boot has grown to 378 litres
• Sweet petrol & efficient diesel. AMT available with both engines for just 47k extra
• Suspension offers a compliant ride & neutral on-road behaviour
• Impressively equipped (LED headlamps + DRLs, reversing camera, Apple & Android touchscreen ICE…)
• Dual airbags, ABS & ISOFIX child seat mounts are standard across all variants
• Maruti's widespread service network, excellent after-sales support & fuss-free ownership experiences

What you won't:

• “Z” trims are pricey. The top-end diesels & automatics cost a million bucks!
• Old 1.3L diesel is nowhere as competent as the Ford & VW 1.5L diesels
• AMT, although improved, can’t match conventional ATs on smoothness & speed. Still gets jerky
• You can buy proper ATs (e.g. torque-converter or DCT) for the same $$$ as the Dzire AMT
• 163 mm of ground clearance & small 37-liter fuel tank do raise concerns
• Some misses (auto-dimming IRVM, skinny 165 mm tyres on L & V variants, smaller spare tyre on the Z trims...)
• Waiting periods have already begun. They currently stretch up to 3 months

Link to Official Review

Hyundai Xcent

What you'll like:

• All-rounded package in a contemporary design
• Interiors have best-in-class fit, finish & quality. Accommodating 407 liter boot too
• Fuel-efficient, practical diesel & peppy petrol. Smooth gearbox
• Loaded with features (keyless start & go, reversing camera, rear air-con, cooled glovebox etc.)
• Comfortable ride quality and predictable handling
• Hyundai's fuss free ownership experience & excellent after-sales service

What you won't:

• Steering & dynamics aren't to an enthusiast's tastes
• Narrow width makes it more suited as a 4 seater, rather than 5
• Boot aside, the premium i20 is closely priced with more power, space, equipment & refinement
• Adjustable front neck restraints, seat-belt height adjustment, full MID, auto-locking doors & dead pedal missing

Link to Official Review

Ford Aspire

What you'll like:

• Aston Martin-esque face looks very stylish!
Value for money price & positioning
• Powerful & efficient 1.5L diesel engine. Good driveability too
• Compliant ride quality. Suspension is tuned for comfort
• Airbags across the range. Titanium (O) & Titanium+ variants get 6 airbags!
• Well-packaged cabin offers adequate space, lots of features, comfy leather seats and a chilling air-con
• Dual-clutch Automatic with a bigger 1.5L petrol, ESP, traction control & hill start assist

What you won't:

• Commuter 1.2L petrol is unimpressive. A mediocre engine
• Drives like any other mass market sedan...but not like a Ford. Ordinary handling
• Lighter build quality isn't as solid as Fords usually are
• Cabin width makes the Aspire suited to 4 adults, not 5
• 14" rims & 175 mm tyres are too puny, especially for the fast diesel
• 359 liter boot is smaller than that of the Amaze & Xcent (~400 liters)
• AT unavailable in the fully-loaded trim. Period

Link to Official Review

Link to report - 2017 Aspire Sports Edition

VW Ameo

What you'll like:

• A well-built, solid European sedan
• Aggressive pricing strategy; on par with the Polo
• Impressive feature list - cruise control, auto wipers, reversing camera, touchscreen ICE etc.
• Interior quality is among the segment best
• 1.2L petrol offers good city driveability. Sweet gearshift too
• Sorted ride & handling package. High speed stability is better than competition
• Dual airbags & ABS are standard across the range

What you won't:

• 3-cylinder petrol engine is weak & noisy. Vibrates as well
• Limited rear legroom & large floor hump. Competitors such as the Amaze are more spacious
• 1.2L TSI turbo-petrol unavailable (Polo gets it)
• 330L boot is the second-smallest from this segment
• Familiar face & interiors are starting to feel old
• The Polo & Vento's long-term reliability hasn't been as strong as the Japanese / Korean cars
• VW's sub-par dealership & service experiences

Link to Official Review

Tata Tigor

What you’ll like:

• Great styling. A chic-looking compact sedan. Solid build too
• Tata has put in a lot of effort on quality and it shows
• Well-priced for what it offers; undercuts all the direct competitors
• High quality, nicely designed cabin. Lots of storage and a segment best 419-litre boot
• Good driveability (both engines), a compliant ride & neutral road manners
• Amazing 8-speaker Harman entertainment system. Sounds top class!
• Feature list with 2 driving modes, parking sensors, cooled glovebox, touchscreen ICE etc.

What you won't:

• Mediocre 3-cylinder engines. They lag behind the competition in performance & refinement
• Most other compact sedans have standard airbags. The Tigor doesn’t (only on top variant)
• Concerns over long-term reliability, more so of the freshly developed engines
• 6-month service interval is too frequent! A 1 year interval is the segment norm
• A rare Tata car that cannot seat 5 (best for 4 adults)
• Tata's after-sales experience remains a gamble. Service quality is far from that of Maruti & Hyundai

Link to Official Review

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Sedans Section. Thanks for sharing!

Tricky one, Blackwasp and it really depends on the engine + gearbox combination you are looking for. Sharing my post from the Amaze thread here:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4436080)
There used to be a time where you could blindly recommend one car over the other, but today, it's entirely dependent on the engine + transmission. As an example, within the compact sedan space, my choices would be:

Diesel AT = Amaze (no contest…the smoothest)
Diesel MT = Aspire or Amaze or Ameo (it's all about the engine, baby!)
Petrol MT = Dzire or Xcent
Petrol AT = Xcent (Smooth torque converter with a sweet 1.2L)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4442128)
Tricky one, Blackwasp

Absolutely! :eek:

I own a Hyundai Xcent SX(o) AT myself, but won't vote for it because unlike my car - Hyundai doesn't have an automatic in the top end version anymore.

Speaking of automatic - If I were to purchase any of these cars - It would most likely be the Honda Amaze Diesel CVT. Brilliant move by Honda by bringing in that combination. However - I'll not vote for that either because it is only that combination that appeals to me, and it is not even available in the top variant that I would have purchased. The rest of the package, though much better than the earlier version - doesn't feel very fresh either IMO.

Sad case with the Ford Aspire diesel as well - since the only appeal left is that diesel engine. And diesels are fast losing their charm in the market, and the CVT Amaze just looks a more practical option.

TATA Tigor was written off during launch itself. A waste of a huge oppurtunity IMO - it had the best potential among all the cars there were planned by TATA. Tiago did well for a city car. Yes, it had mediocre engines but that was forgivable given its pricing and positioning. Sadly, TATA decided to leave it a half job done. The engines are a major weakness and unlike the hatchback - this is not a city car anymore. People look at the compact sedan segment as a more well rounded offering, and a balanced package - the Tigor defenitely is not!

So, overall - I would vote for the new Maruti Suzuki DZire. :thumbs up

Brilliant package that just transformed itself compared to the previous generation, which in itself was a best seller for known reasons - even though the enthusiasts really frowned everytime they saw one. Maruti had no reasons to transform the car so much - but it has come back with a Good design, competent engines though may not be segment best, poor man's automatic options in both petrol and diesel - in most trims including the top end, good packaging and interiors, good boot space, and the ever so hyped Maruti advantages of service network and peace of mind.

Its a package you just can't ignore anymore - and the one that comes across as the most well rounded IMO across trims and engine options.

Honda Amaze vs the competitors-marutidzire01.jpg

Honda Amaze vs the competitors-2017marutidzire07.jpg

Honda Amaze vs the competitors-marutidzire02.jpg

Honda Amaze vs the competitors-2017marutidzire06.jpg

Edit - I forgot the Volkswagen Ameo. Well, doesn't matter - because the market seems to have forgotten this option too. Only the Diesel DSG was the main highlight, but Honda now offers a more reliable option in the Amaze.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4442128)
Tricky one

No questions on it, this segment is sadly offering something at the expense of the other.
Eg. Amaze diesel CVT, but no top model, Dzire offers top model, but is bundled with AMT, Xcent has no AT in diesel and top models and so on...

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4442155)
But, overall - I would vote for the new Maruti Suzuki DZire.

I agree to some extent, but I voted for the Amaze only for its diesel + CVT combo. I don't care for the top model, as long as it has all the safety features and a decent bluetooth system. The later if not available is not a deal breaker as well.

But, for the aam junta, it has simply added to the confusion. I hope Honda introduces a top model AT for the sanity of prospective buyers at a nice price. :D

Edit-
Quote:

Honda plans to introduce the new-gen Amaze diesel CVT in top-spec VX trim in India soon.
Source

For me, the engine does not matter really.

For any automatic - Amaze
For any manual - Dzire

And because of these mixed choices, I am unable to vote in this poll :)

I voted for Amaze for its sweet diesel + CVT combo.

But for me too it really depends on engine + gear box combo.

Diesel Automatic - Amaze
Diesel Manual - Aspire

Petrol Automatic - Aspire
Petrol Manual - Dzire

But among all the above combinations Diesel + CVT combo of Amaze looks best for me for now. So my vote goes to Amaze.

Note: I will definitely consider Ameo in Diesel Manual if I was looking for only a 2 seater car. :D

Aspire looks a good choice overall. Voted. Not able to convince myself about the new maruti vehicles built on light platforms. Not ready to take risk with european touches :-)
Koreans, may be barring the steering :-)
Tigor, would have picked one IF they would give similar spec engines as Aspire/Nexon. Rest is a solid effort by Tata.
Amaze = diesel + cvt to me. No more appeal than that. Would not inspire confidence as a higway car.

I voted for Amaze as per the choices here. But somehow this sub 4m segment gets the consumer confused (no wonders, like me). To an average consumer, a Baleno and i20 elite all are at the same level, car segment wise, with the ones mentioned here. So somebody whose looking for Amaze cvt petrol, may very well get hooked by Baleno CVT petrol as well. Ofcourse with Jazz its more bucks to spend for, but with most of these priced at similar levels (50-90k variation), what extra does these compact sedans bring it to the table?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyer (Post 4442173)

Diesel Automatic - Amaze
Diesel Manual - Aspire

Petrol Automatic - Aspire
Petrol Manual - Dzire

My list would be the same, adding one more:

If you have money only for a hatch, but wish for a sedan - Tigor lol: One gets the added advantage of good built quality too.

My vote for Ameo DSG thanks to that Diesel + AT combination, my favourite. If it was a Diesel + MT = Aspire it would be.

Voted for Amaze for the availability of CVT option & its amazing design.

IMO, new amaze with its boxy design philosophy, looks muscular. The new Amaze is not a hatch with a boot anymore. It's a complete and mature Sedan( Compact).

The second nearest option could be Aspire.
No to Dzire for its build quality.
No to Xcent & Tigor for its un-appealing design.

Was a tough one

Diesel Automatic: Honda Amaze
Diesel Manual: Ford Figo
Petrol Automatic: Hyundai Xcent
Petrol Manual: Swift Dzire

Tata: Firm 'no'

Here are my choices-

Petrol Manual- Dzire
Petrol Auto- Aspire DCT
Diesel Manual- VW Ameo
Diesel Automatic- VW Ameo

If I have to select a single car, I'd say the VW Ameo, specifically the Ameo Diesel MT.

Not too keen on the Amaze petrol because the Dzire is already there and is better and not too keen on the Amaze Diesel as the Ameo and the Aspire are already present. Not too forget the speed limit on the Amaze, which is a turn off.

The Xcent is relevant only if you want to go for a petrol automatic, or if you want something other than the Dzire with better build quality. Tigor has average engines, especially the petrol. Also, since ABS and airbags are available only on the top variants, I'd rather go with the mid-variants of any of the other cars than the top-end Tigor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AYP (Post 4442840)
Here are my choices-

Petrol Manual- Dzire
Petrol Auto- Aspire DCT
Diesel Manual- VW Ameo
Diesel Automatic- VW Ameo

Agree with the Ameo being the Diesel AT choice. I had not thought about it. They do not have any power degradation like the Amaze for the automatic

Voted for the Amaze. Dzire is just to awkward and blingy to look at and all that beige and chrome looks like Mahindra and Maruti now have a common designer. The Ameo is just too old now, Xcent though has quality interiors but looks too narrow and awkward from the rear and along with the Tigor looks like from a segment below.