Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2007, 15:12   #1
Team-BHP Support

Alternate for Civic with paddle shift

My dentist is looking to buy a car for her son. She is considering a Honda CIvic as the boy is a bit of an enthusiast.
Old 5th January 2007, 15:20   #2
BANNED

Do you REALLY want to give advice to your dentest??
I mean if you give him the wrong guidance.. he IS your dentest.. so..
BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
The Civic did get the ACI COTY.. though I don't really like the car personally, I'm sure there are some that do.. and there's no other car in the same price range with a paddle box..
Cheers.
Old 5th January 2007, 15:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Well she could go for the Corolla but the son might not approve due to its recent drop in prices & image. In this price range the only options would be the Octavia (too common on the roads) or the Accord.

I would presonally suggest sticking to the Civic, it's a good car.

Last edited by iraghava : 5th January 2007 at 15:28.
Old 5th January 2007, 15:32   #4
BHPian

If the boy is an enthusiast, he would rather like the manual Civic.
Or the Octy RS.

If he wants to stick to an auto-tranny, the other option would be Corolla, but the Civic beats it hands down.

Last edited by goldie_malhotra : 5th January 2007 at 15:34.
Old 5th January 2007, 15:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

i think he wants a car with paddle shifts. does the corolla or octy have that ?
Old 5th January 2007, 15:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

How about Cedia sports? Have they checked it out?
Old 5th January 2007, 17:48   #7
BHPian

As far as paddle shift is concerned there is only the Civic auto box version which is equipped with this feature. there are quite a few after market mods available for the civic in terms of performance and aesthetics. Also this is a new model launched worldwide and I don't see it being replaced very soon. I personally don't like the way the front of the car looks, but I am sure that can be sorted out with the various body kits available (Will set you back a couple of $$$$ though). Engine wise, I must admit that it is a bit of a dissapointment (maybe I am spolit), but like I mentioned, there are mods available.

As far as the Colrolla is concerned, you need to remember that the current shape is soon gonna be replaced, and therefore it does not make sense to buy the current available model.

Octavia RS is the ultimate choice available for the enthusiast (in my opinion ofcourse). Lots of go faster bits and bobs are available.

But since primary requirement is paddle shift, i guess there is no other option than the civic for the moment.
Old 5th January 2007, 18:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Octavia RS is the ultimate choice available for the enthusiast (in my opinion ofcourse). Lots of go faster bits and bobs are available.
Also the price difference between the RS & the Civic auto is to the tune of 2.5-3L (on-road Delhi).
Old 5th January 2007, 18:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Do they make the Lances Invex still ? That could be an option - cheaper too.
Old 6th January 2007, 09:46   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Also the price difference between the RS & the Civic auto is to the tune of 2.5-3L (on-road Delhi).
I also suggested the "RS upchipped a la Pete". Took her son for a spin in a regular RS, revved it to 5000rpm but me feels she'll plumb for the Civic as she can drive that too. The other alternate was the DSG Laura.

She found the rear view in the RS too restricting so I gave her a line from the Gumball Rally "the man behind me is not important".

BTW my dentist is a she and drives a NOSed OHC (we old foggies can have fun too) and we grew up together (she is a year or 2 older).

Her son also drives a OHC but I dont think it is NOSed just K&Ned. The NHC (Vtec) just does not handle as well as the OHC. We did check out the Cedia Sports and it handles well but does not have the same image.

Now it's between the DSGed Laura and a paddle shift Civic.

Last edited by navin : 6th January 2007 at 09:56.
Old 6th January 2007, 09:52   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

BTW my dentist is a she and drives a NOSed OHC (we old foggies can have fun too) and we grew up together (she is a year or 2 older).

Her son also drives a OHC but I dont think it is NOSed just K&Ned.
LADY DENTEST WITH A NOSed OHC... kewl
Bet she has unlimited access to the NOS.. eh?
Old 6th January 2007, 11:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

@Sideways

could you explain how this paddle shift is supposed to work? is it like there are buttons on the steering like up or down to be used to switch the gear, that the driver uses on an automatic? I seem to be still confused on this paddle shift thing.

Now considering that civic is a 7 speed paddle shift, then wont it be a heck of a nightmare to change so many gears at any given point!?
Old 6th January 2007, 12:07   #13
elf
BANNED

Quote:
... BTW my dentist is a she and drives a NOSed OHC (we old foggies can have fun too) and we grew up together (she is a year or 2 older).

Her son also drives a OHC but I dont think it is NOSed just K&Ned. The NHC (Vtec) just does not handle as well as the OHC. We did check out the Cedia Sports and it handles well but does not have the same image. ...
Like Sideways, I too don't much care for the lines of the Civic. The front's nice & agressive, but the designers must've run outta illegal substances to partake of once they finished that bit.

Methinks the Skoda Laura DSG would be nice. One could always ask GTO for his opinion on it once he gets back from racing on the expressway this weekend.

Mealsothinks that the lady in question, along with the son, is a baawi. Always a pleasure to know that such human variants exist. Please do pass on my compliments to the lady...
Old 6th January 2007, 12:44   #14
BHPian

Civic paddle shift works exactly like F1 shifts. There are small paddles behind steering wheel one each for going up and down through the gears.

So driver has somewhat manual control over when to upshift and/or downshift. This increases the sporty feel as comapred with somple auto tranny.

And civic is 5-speed auto not 7-speed.
Old 6th January 2007, 12:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow now that's what you call a fast dentist!! Does she really use the NOS while driving? While on the subject of tuned RS's how about chipping you car too Navin? But I guess then you would have to tame your chaueffuer!!

Quote:
Her son also drives a OHC but I dont think it is NOSed just K&Ned. The NHC (Vtec) just does not handle as well as the OHC. We did check out the Cedia Sports and it handles well but does not have the same image.
The NHC's relatively woolly handling & insipid engines have been a turn off for a lot of people who've compared it to the OHC.

Quote:
Now it's between the DSGed Laura and a paddle shift Civic.
Seeing the price difference of about 5-6L I would still stick to the Civic & spend the savings on whatever aspect of the car that the user thinks needs to be improved upon like the looks or performance since it seems your dentist is not averse to modifications!

Last edited by iraghava : 6th January 2007 at 12:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks