Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2019, 13:16   #1
BHPian

New C2-segment sedan vs Used D1-segment sedan?

Hello!

This is my first thread post on Team-BHP.

I am in the market for a new automatic petrol sedan in the price range of 13-16 Lakhs. I currently drive a pre-worshipped 2009 Honda City S MT in New Delhi.

I accord high priority for features, safety, reliability and driving experience. I usually drive solo or with one passenger in the front.

After test driving all the C segment sedans on offer in the segment, I had my heart set on the Hyundai Verna SX(O) automatic.

However, after going through Team-BHP posts on lateral upgrades, Hyundai Elantra official review, etc., I am also considering a used Hyundai Elantra. I found a number of 2016 SX (O) trim Elantras on offer at about Rs. 15 Lakh in Delhi NCR.

Would love to hear what all of you opine. What's your suggestion between 2019 Verna SX (O) Petrol AT vs 2016 Elantra SX (O) Petrol AT? Any pointers on the reliability of 2nd hand D segment sedans? Should I be considering any other vehicles in my price range and with my requirements?

Thanks in Advance,

Amit
Old 27th June 2019, 13:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: New C2-segment sedan vs Used D1-segment sedan?

I wouldn't buy the used petrol Elantra for 15L. Following are the reasons -

1) AFAIK, the new gen. Verna & Elantra share the same platform.
2) Elantra is a resale dud, and a Hyundai petrol automatic further accentuates it.

My suggestion is to consider the Elantra if and only if it is priced <12L. If D-segment is still a requirement, I would suggest to keep hunting for Corolla or a VW/Skoda with warranty instead.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 13:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Suggest you go in for new Hyundai Verna than used D segment.
Today's C segment cars are on par with D segment cars of the past. You will not miss anything important. Also the cost of maintaining a used D segment car will be higher.
With a new car you have the peace of mind offered by warranty and lower maintenance.
speedmiester is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 15:13   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd actually recommend the Elantra - provided it is still within warranty, and at a price comparable to the Verna.

Not only is it that much bigger (the Verna will be cramped compared to the City), but has nicer interiors, more power, and is a resale disaster.
It will feel like a proper upgrade after driving the City, unlike the Verna.

That being said, maintenance and FE would be on the higher side definitely but the car seems inherently reliable so shouldn't be a big worry unless it's an accident related job.
lamborghini is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 15:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Why are you limiting yourself to these two cars. With your budget, you can look at a new CSUV, C Segment, Used D Segment, Used German, Used SUV.

Both these options are the not the greatest cars in their segments. Look at other cars and I am sure you wont stick to these two.
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 15:46   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
I wouldn't buy the used petrol Elantra for 15L. Following are the reasons -

1) AFAIK, the new gen. Verna & Elantra share the same platform.
2) Elantra is a resale dud, and a Hyundai petrol automatic further accentuates it.

My suggestion is to consider the Elantra if and only if it is priced <12L. If D-segment is still a requirement, I would suggest to keep hunting for Corolla or a VW/Skoda with warranty instead.
Thanks for your reply. I was considering the Elantra over Verna for things like all four disc brakes, dual zone ac, more space, 2.0 L engine, etc. Haven't found the 2016 model selling for anything less than 14 L in Delhi NCR yet though. Does its low resale value work in my favor?

Haven't found Corolla or VW/Skoda with the warranty in this price range, but outside their warranty what do you think about the reliability of VW/Skoda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Suggest you go in for new Hyundai Verna than used D segment.
Today's C segment cars are on par with D segment cars of the past. You will not miss anything important. Also the cost of maintaining a used D segment car will be higher.
With a new car you have the peace of mind offered by warranty and lower maintenance.
Thanks for your reply. Was mostly considering D segment for the disc brakes, larger engine and things like dual zone ac. What do you think about maintenance cost for Elantra?

You're right, nothing like the peace of mind of a brand new car.

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th June 2019 at 16:34. Reason: Merging consecutive posts. Do see our FAQs on how to MULTI-QUOTE. :)
Old 27th June 2019, 15:53   #7
BHPian

I feel like getting a used car from a higher segment would always be better. You save on depreciation and usually get something extra over the lower segment car, and I would doubt maintenance from just one segment up from the same manufacturer is too much more expensive. Even better if you go for CPO, then the warranty will take care of at least some of the concerns of going used.

Also, this is not relevant for the example you gave but getting a late model used car is also better than a new car that was recently launched.
chieftain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 15:53   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I'd actually recommend the Elantra - provided it is still within warranty, and at a price comparable to the Verna.

Not only is it that much bigger (the Verna will be cramped compared to the City), but has nicer interiors, more power, and is a resale disaster.
It will feel like a proper upgrade after driving the City, unlike the Verna.

That being said, maintenance and FE would be on the higher side definitely but the car seems inherently reliable so shouldn't be a big worry unless it's an accident related job.
An Elantra within warranty would so sweet! The 2016 models would have expired or expiring warranties I guess?

True that. I booked the Verna for a day thru Revv self-drive and didn't really feel vowed with anything except the cooled seats and android auto. The Elantra feels like a genuine lateral upgrade.

My running is fairly low so a 9-10 KMPL FE, I can live with. I'm just hoping that maintenance cost would be low considering Elantra's reliability and Hyundai's ubiquity
Old 27th June 2019, 15:53   #9
BHPian

I was in similar dilemma except that I was looking for a Diesel Automatic. I was considering either a new Diesel Verna Automatic or a 2015 Diesel Jetta DSG. Finally ended up with new Verna as I felt Jetta would've worked out much more expensive considering Warranty/Insurance and other considerations. But the on road prices would've been more or less same for both. My reason for considering Jetta was purely the Engine and GB combo. I still think that I missed out on owning a fine machine -the Jetta whenever I see one on road.

If you're trying to decide between Used Elantra and New Verna - according to me it's a nobrainer - New Verna should the choice. It is anyways based on Elantra platform with almost all of it's features.
somspaple is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 15:56   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Why are you limiting yourself to these two cars. With your budget, you can look at a new CSUV, C Segment, Used D Segment, Used German, Used SUV.

Both these options are the not the greatest cars in their segments. Look at other cars and I am sure you wont stick to these two.
Thanks for your reply. After booking the Creta for a day thru' self-drive I realized that I'm far more comfortable in a sedan due to my sensitivity to motion sickness in a raised position.

Which other sedans (petrol auto new or used) would you recommend in my budget?

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
I was in similar dilemma except that I was looking for a Diesel Automatic. I was considering either a new Diesel Verna Automatic or a 2015 Diesel Jetta DSG. Finally ended up with new Verna as I felt Jetta would've worked out much more expensive considering Warranty/Insurance and other considerations. But the on road prices would've been more or less same for both. My reason for considering Jetta was purely the Engine and GB combo. I still think that I missed out on owning a fine machine -the Jetta whenever I see one on road.

If you're trying to decide between Used Elantra and New Verna - according to me it's a nobrainer - New Verna should the choice. It is anyways based on Elantra platform with almost all of it's features.
Thanks for your reply. Indeed, your dilemma sounds much like mine. I wonder if the Elantra's reliability (compared to Jetta) swings things in its favor a bit?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th June 2019 at 16:34. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts. Thanks.
Old 27th June 2019, 16:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Thanks for your reply. After booking the Creta for a day thru' self-drive I realized that I'm far more comfortable in a sedan due to my sensitivity to motion sickness in a raised position.

Which other sedans (petrol auto new or used) would you recommend in my budget?
With a 15 lakh budget, you can look at the following in my view
  • Used Corolla Altis + save about 4-5 lakhs (will be my pick)
  • Used Honda City CVT + save about 7-8 lakhs
  • A very good condition used CIVIC VAT + save atleast 8-9 lakhs
  • Brand New City CVT (You must have seen this I assume, but a recommendation nonetheless)
  • Brand New Vento DSG
  • Brand New SCross (drives like a sedan / hatch)
  • Used Octavia
  • Used BMW 3 Series
  • A Brand New Premium hatch + Save about 4-5 Lakhs (These will feel like an upgrade from a 3rd Gen city)
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 16:20   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chieftain View Post
I feel like getting a used car from a higher segment would always be better. You save on depreciation and usually get something extra over the lower segment car, and I would doubt maintenance from just one segment up from the same manufacturer is too much more expensive. Even better if you go for CPO, then the warranty will take care of at least some of the concerns of going used.

Also, this is not relevant for the example you gave but getting a late model used car is also better than a new car that was recently launched.
Thanks for your reply. What is CPO? With the Elantra facelift launch round the corner, I was thinking about holding on just a bit longer

Quote:
  • Used Corolla Altis + save about 4-5 lakhs (will be my pick)
  • Used Honda City CVT + save about 7-8 lakhs
  • A very good condition used CIVIC VAT + save atleast 8-9 lakhs
  • Brand New City CVT (You must have seen this I assume, but a recommendation nonetheless)
  • Brand New Vento DSG
  • Brand New SCross (drives like a sedan / hatch)
  • Used Octavia
  • Used BMW 3 Series
  • A Brand New Premium hatch + Save about 4-5 Lakhs (These will feel like an upgrade from a 3rd Gen city)
Thanks for your recommendations. I am also tempted by the Kia Seltos, despite my motion sickness issues with CSUVs, for the sheer goodies they seem to be packing. Any new Sedan launches you think are worth waiting for?

Last edited by bblost : 27th June 2019 at 16:25.
Old 27th June 2019, 17:00   #13
BHPian

Quote:

I wonder if the Elantra's reliability (compared to Jetta) swings things in its favor a bit?
Reliability wise it must be fine. But then it is neither known for performance nor mileage [Petrol Auto]. Not sure if Elantra comes with Multi-link suspension.
Also not sure what extra are you looking for in Elantra compared to Verna [honestly, I have not done much research on Elantra]. But if it is the D segment car that you are looking at with all other constraints [budget etc], then probably Elantra would be OK [personally I like it over the likes of Corolla].
somspaple is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 17:00   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. What is CPO? With the Elantra facelift launch round the corner, I was thinking about holding on just a bit longer

Thanks for your recommendations. I am also tempted by the Kia Seltos, despite my motion sickness issues with CSUVs, for the sheer goodies they seem to be packing. Any new Sedan launches you think are worth waiting for?
By CPO I meant Certified Pre Owned. Some manufacturers will offer warranties on certain used cars which they have certified to be in good condition. Of course many newer used cars will have the factory warranty ongoing in which case I don’t think it’s much of an issue.

Quote:
OP, I would also vouch for a used Corolla, it is very safe, reliable, and not too expensive to maintain. The rest of 2000rpm’s list is also great, although I would avoid the 3 series (or any of its competitors) as it would be difficult to find one in that range with a warranty, and maintenance costs are generally high, and diesels such as the S Cross are a tough sell in Delhi.

I might also add that pre-facelift outgoing Camries are also in your budget. They are spacious, comfortable, and very reliable. However maintenance and insurance are probably quite a bit more costly than the other cars mentioned.

Another concern with the Verna specifically is that Hyundai have been reported to make less safe versions of their international cars for countries with more lax safety standards: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...sh-tested.html (Global NCAP: India-made Maruti Ignis & Honda Amaze crash tested) and https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...an-market.html (Made-in-India Hyundai i20 scores 3 stars in NCAP test (South African market))

Last edited by Aditya : 31st July 2019 at 08:28. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
chieftain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 17:16   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
Reliability wise it must be fine. But then it is neither known for performance nor mileage [Petrol Auto]. Not sure if Elantra comes with Multi-link suspension.
Also not sure what extra are you looking for in Elantra compared to Verna [honestly, I have not done much research on Elantra]. But if it is the D segment car that you are looking at with all other constraints [budget etc], then probably Elantra would be OK [personally I like it over the likes of Corolla].
I am not keen on the Corolla because of its taxi-ubiquity. Elantra gets all four disc brakes, dual zone ac, auto OVRM and a larger 2L engine compared to the Verna. I don't think it gets Multi-link suspension, but going by owner posts, the suspension handles bumps pretty well

Quote:
Originally Posted by chieftain View Post
By CPO I meant Certified Pre Owned. Some manufacturers will offer warranties on certain used cars which they have certified to be in good condition. Of course many newer used cars will have the factory warranty ongoing in which case I don’t think it’s much of an issue.
Aah!, I did try looking through Mahindra First Choice and other certified pre-owned websites but couldn't find an Elantra listed.

I'm sure the Corolla and Camry are great cars in the used D segment, but the sheer number of taxis for them is a turn-off.

That is worrying news for the Verna. Hoping that Hyundai is not guilty of the same for Elantra!

Last edited by aah78 : 27th June 2019 at 21:48. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks