Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2020, 19:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying a used Chevrolet Cruze

Diesel + reliable AT + fairly reliable engine + fairly reliable electronics makes it an enticing used car purchase option.

I was in the same boat about 2 years back. But, in the end I had to chicken out as I could not find the source for spares and a competent FNG. But, if there is clear path to the previous point, one could take a leap of faith factoring in the upcoming expenses which could vary to the tune of 1-2 Lakhs for a vehicle of the given vintage.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 19:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

It all depends on where you propose to take the car for its service. Here in Hyderabad, I know of a couple of places that make owning a Cruze an absolute breeze, but I don't know anyone in Pune. I feel it just boils down to how good the independent garage you propose to take the car to, is.

If the car is only needed for 3 years, why not exchange your Celerio for an SX4 ZXi? The car may not look like much, but it drives, performs and lasts well. It is very durable, very reliable, very cheap and quite fun to drive but lacks anything that will make your passengers or relatives go wow.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 09:22   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

As others have pointed out, it depends a lot on your city. For example in BLR, I used to know of various FNGs who were very good with the Cruze because a lot of the old Trident Chevy mechanics (not the team leads but mid/entry-level mechs) had joined them.

The issue with the Cruze is not electronics/electrics (or the lack thereof) but the expensive spares/parts like turbo, compressor, brake disks etc. GM India never bothered to localize even basic consumables because this was before the Make-in-India push, and also because they had very favourable import arrangements with GMDAT in South Korea, Thailand etc.

Even though I sold off my beloved 2011 Cruze LT at 111K km & 6.5 years for a piddly 3.85L, I still miss it all the time, and part of me regrets letting it go.

Leave out the driving joy (superb on highways, less in city), the back seat was very comfortable too for pottering around urban roads with a chauffeur. My 2 year old Creta jumps around like a pogo stick (back seat) in comparison.

I will dig out pictures of my Cruze's interiors at 6.5 years. Apart from a worn gearbox boot (which I did not change on purpose), and a slightly worn driver seat, the rest was immaculate. Quality even if not blingy was very very plush for those days and supremely hard wearing.
itwasntme is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 15:54   #19
BHPian

If Cars24 is offering 3.5 lacs for a 2011 Cruze then I think your friend must just say, "Here are the keys and the documents. Give me the cash". That's a no brainer.
bharatbits is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 22:09   #20

Hey everyone, I am getting a November 2017 Cruze Ltz Automatic for 5.5 lakh rupees. I don't want to keep the car for long, probably for a couple of years at max. The car is in perfect condition and has done about 34,000 Kms. As much as I enjoy driving it, I'm a little scared to buy it. The biggest concern for me is the resale value after 2 years (I'm expecting it to be around 2-2.5 lakh, but not less than that) and the availability of spares. At this moment spares are easily available in my area, which is Delhi but what about 2 years from now. Should I buy it or should I stay away. The car is a delight to drive and is feature loaded but being a Chevy it has its own set of problems. Please help me out. Thank you
Old 9th July 2020, 00:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryan0077 View Post
Hey everyone, I am getting a November 2017 Cruze Ltz Automatic for 5.5 lakh rupees. I don't want to keep the car for long, probably for a couple of years at max. The car is in perfect condition and has done about 34,000 Kms. As much as I enjoy driving it, I'm a little scared to buy it. The biggest concern for me is the resale value after 2 years (I'm expecting it to be around 2-2.5 lakh, but not less than that) and the availability of spares. At this moment spares are easily available in my area, which is Delhi but what about 2 years from now. Should I buy it or should I stay away. The car is a delight to drive and is feature loaded but being a Chevy it has its own set of problems. Please help me out. Thank you
Hey Aryan0077,

Are you sure that this a November 2017 car? IIRC, Chevy pulled the plug on India in Mid-2017. Please get this checked.

Assuming it's a November 2016 vehicle, you are getting quite a good deal here. However, as has been mentioned in this forum innumerable times, please get the car PPI'd at a reputed & trusted FNG or the SC itself. If everything works out fine with this car and you're interested to buy it, Go for it!

Regarding Chevrolet servicing, we own a Spark and servicing has never been a problem for us considering that there is a reliable FNG that works on Chevys. Most parts are easily available with them & if you want to stick to OEMs, they too are available on Boodmo.
Old 9th July 2020, 00:39   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Hey Aryan0077,

Are you sure that this a November 2017 car? IIRC, Chevy pulled the plug on India in Mid-2017. Please get this checked.

Assuming it's a November 2016 vehicle, you are getting quite a good deal here. However, as has been mentioned in this forum innumerable times, please get the car PPI'd at a reputed & trusted FNG or the SC itself. If everything works out fine with this car and you're interested to buy it, Go for it!

Regarding Chevrolet servicing, we own a Spark and servicing has never been a problem for us considering that there is a reliable FNG that works on Chevys. Most parts are easily available with them & if you want to stick to OEMs, they too are available on Boodmo.
The car was registered in November 2017, actually it's owned by an ex dealer of Chevy and it was one of the last cars he couldn't manage to sell, he has his old boys from Chevy who handle the service till this day so that's no issue. And he's a family friend that's why I'm a little keen on the car since I've known the vehicle for a while. Being an ex dealer he can get spares easily. But my biggest concern here is that I don't want to keep the car for more than 3 years, because then the availability of parts will drastically reduce in my opinion and that's when I want to sell it off. Since I'm spending 5.5L now there would be no sense to sell it for anything less than 2-2.5L, I am just a bit skeptical whether it will hold value till then or not, or will I be selling it in scrap which would be a total waste of money. I want to enjoy the car but if something goes wrong with it then I think it'll be a nightmare. I am too much in love with the Cruze and so I'm not really considering things but my dad on the other hand is insisting that I don't get it because of the poor service and obviously the exit of the company.
Old 9th July 2020, 06:41   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since I'm spending 5.5L now there would be no sense to sell it for anything less than 2-2.5L, I am just a bit skeptical whether it will hold value till then or not, or will I be selling it in scrap which would be a total waste of money.
You can go ahead with the purchase. Fairly new and less driven car. Spare availability won't be an issue for the time period you intend to keep it for.

As far as resale is concerned, you're actually thinking about the worst case scenario. To give you an idea, old 2011-12 models go for around 2-2.5 lakhs depending on the condition. I'm sure there will be plenty of buyers from neighbouring states such as Punjab who'll pay more than 3 lakhs in future for your 5 year old car.
Old 18th August 2020, 09:57   #24
BHPian

Quote:
I am just a bit skeptical whether it will hold value till then or not, or will I be selling it in scrap which would be a total waste of money. I want to enjoy the car but if something goes wrong with it then I think it'll be a nightmare. I am too much in love with the Cruze and so I'm not really considering things but my dad on the other hand is insisting that I don't get it because of the poor service and obviously the exit of the company.
You have answered your own question.

Make no mistake, few cars can give you driving pleasure like the diesel Cruze. However, given the reality of the situation, don’t expect it to hold its resale value. The only silver lining is that you can source parts for the car easily (?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I will dig out pictures of my Cruze's interiors at 6.5 years. Apart from a worn gearbox boot (which I did not change on purpose), and a slightly worn driver seat, the rest was immaculate. Quality even if not blingy was very very plush for those days and supremely hard wearing.
Ditto! Couldn’t agree more. I still miss my LT too.

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 18th August 2020 at 10:00.
Old 4th November 2020, 19:05   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
It all depends on where you propose to take the car for its service. Here in Hyderabad, I know of a couple of places that make owning a Cruze an absolute breeze, but I don't know anyone in Pune. I feel it just boils down to how good the independent garage you propose to take the car to, is.
Hi Ishaanlan,
Iam from Hyderabad and tempted to buy used cruze.
Initially I was scared to read this thread, as to not to go for cruze but after reading your post, I think we don't need to worry about the servicing in Hyderabad.

I have not had a chance to drive Cruze but I just fell in love with its looks and my curiosity deepened.

Please can you suggest which service centre you visit and how much they normally charge please.

Iam in the process of selling my car and get one from Olx.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th November 2020 at 20:04. Reason: Quote tag fixed
Rama Naveen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 01:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rama Naveen View Post
I have not had a chance to drive Cruze but I just fell in love with its looks and my curiosity deepened.
Do please first drive one and see if you actually like it before buying it. Because it will be more difficult to sell one considering the company has left the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rama Naveen View Post
Please can you suggest which service centre you visit and how much they normally charge please.
I give my cars to New Mars in Kukatpally. The owner Mr. Prabhu is at the workshop everyday from morning to closing hours and you can tell him Ishaan has sent you if you'd like to use my name as reference. Charges however are not cheap. Mr. Prabhu charges nearly as much as any company service center would, maybe a bit less but don't expect things to be a bargain. He does also have all the necessary equipment to handle pretty much any issue so the costs are justified when you compare his workshop to any other independent garage. To give you an idea, his workshop is to my knowledge the only independent garage that is authorized to conduct work on any Mercedes without the risk of voiding warranty infact I have seen quite a few engineers come down to his workshop from companies like Denso to carry out warranty claims on mercs that come there or to program the sensors behind the windshields of cars like the S-Class if a windshield replacement is being carried out. Do visit the place and try talking to Mr. Prabhu he may even be able to help you find a good used Cruze or sell your current ride
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 12:47   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
As others have pointed out, it depends a lot on your city. For example in BLR, I used to know of various FNGs who were very good with the Cruze because a lot of the old Trident Chevy mechanics (not the team leads but mid/entry-level mechs) had joined them.
Could you please share names or any other information about these FNG's in Bangalore?

Last edited by benbsb29 : 8th January 2021 at 12:55. Reason: Trimmed quoted post.
Old 25th January 2021, 09:01   #28
BHPian

Can anyone please share the dimensions of the Cruze's front seats?
Need to know how wide the seats are as I'm planning to fit them in the old gen Thar.
Old 13th July 2021, 09:28   #29
BHPian

Hello all,

I have been driving a used 2007 Tata Safari Dicor for past 7 years and presently the odo is at 1.3L km odo. I am looking for a change and I am not able to decide on a suitable alternative.

Came across a 2013 cruze LTZ manual with 50k on odo in Kochi. Car looks extremely good in photos. Planning to take a TD tomorrow or the day after.

I already read all the posts in this forum and I am kind of demotivated now. I love the cruze from a Long time and there are few cars which one really loves to own and drive. Safari Dicor was one such car which I drove to my heart's content. Cruze, Octavia are few such other cars.

My budget is strictly 4-5L. So new car options go right out of the window.

Looking for sedans, SUVs and not hatchbacks, compact sedans and Crossovers etc.

Usage pattern - Averaging about 10000 km an year with mix of city and highway runs.

Reliability - I need a reliable car as it wil be my only vehicle to go to and I cannot afford breakdowns in the middle of the road.
(Safari gave up twice till date in the last 13 years and rest was a breeze)
This boils down to spare availability which is where I am in a fix now as far as this cruze is concerned. Also i need a car which is on the road more rather than a workshop queen

I am new to kochi so I am not so aware of FNGs as of now. I need to depend on what the present owner tells me about various contacts and FNGs around.)

Query:

Should I consider this 2013 cruze or infact any other cruze of that matter here in kochi?
Old 14th July 2022, 15:42   #30

I am an owner of a second-hand Chevy Cruze purchased in the year 2017 (manufactured 2012). The ownership has been fuss-free and despite Chevrolet leaving India, the service centers are still open (atleast in Gujarat) with prompt issue resolvement.

I would suggest you to take a test drive and note few areas which are usually a costly replacement for Cruze:

1. Timing Belt - Do get this checked up from a good FNG or Authorized Service Center
2. Clutch and Flywheel - The most expensive consumable in the car in my opinion
3. Tyres - Cruze wear 215/60 R16 tyres which of late have touched Rs.8000 a piece.

Cheers !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks