Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2020, 16:25   #1
BHPian

Buying a used Chevrolet Cruze

Hey guys,

I currently own Celerio Zxi(O) which will be 6 years old this month. It is in good condition, but I was single when I bought it. Now I have family of 5 (including my mother) and Celerio is not quite specious to accommodate that. I am looking to replace my Celerio just for this sole reason, otherwise the Celerio is in quite decent condition.

I am not quite keen to shell out 15 Lakhs for a new Car, as we don't use the car quite often. I work from home all the time, and my wife uses Celerio four days in a week, 15km per day, for her office commute. We use the Celerio maybe one day in a weekend and that's all. It doesn't make sense to me to spend 12-15 lakhs on a car which is only going to see about 400km milage a month.

My friend owns a Chevrolet Cruze top end fully automatic 2011 model. He is the second owner of the car. I was involved in the buying process of the car since he was a rookie as far as cars are concerned. I still remembered the day when I step inside the driving seat of the Cruze, I was immensely impressed. I have personally driven this car on 6 Lane highway for about 300kms and it was fantastic experience. He is now in Germany and want to sell the car. He asked me if I want to buy that car. He says cars24 offered him about 3.5 L. The cars is without insurance (expired last month) My plan is to sell my Celerio at about 2.4L, add 1L cash into this and buy the Cruze. Then use the Cruze for 5 more year and then sell it at scrap value.
1. The car is BS3. Will that have any effect once we are on BS6?
2. Is 3.5L a fair price considering he is the second owner?
3. I am little bit skeptical as Chevrolet has shut the shop here, but I saw their website and they have active service centres here in Pune. Can they support the spare parts for 5 more years?
4. Any other niggles/known problems I should be aware of? My friend said he recently replaced the Airbags. I don't know the service history yet.
5. Any other points that I need to be aware of?

Looking for valuable inputs of this community

Last edited by Blue_Pearl : 4th February 2020 at 16:34. Reason: Added some more info
Blue_Pearl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 16:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Buying a used Chevrolet Cruze

Price is rather steep. Stay away. Cruze was stopped long back and Chevy has left India and parts and service will be a big hassle. You have nothing but FNG to service your car. Don't touch with a barge pole.
Durango Dude is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 17:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

With that money, you will easily get a Civic or a older corolla which are much safer bets.

I would risk this car at 2.0 lakhs, nothing more. I doubt he will get anything above that in market as well.
2000rpm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 17:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

I am an Ex Cruze owner and my opinion is to stay away from this deal. Nothing wrong with the car, but it is a big risk from the service perspective. When Chevrolet left, I lost the confidence to take my Cruze on long drives since the service coverage is so low that if something happens, I will need to tow it for 100-200kms before you get hold of someone who can take a look at the car. And FNGs always try to fleece you because they know you don't have many alternatives. The spare situation was also bad. Even the slightest of repair needed two weeks for the part to arrive. But then there are few cars out there that can give you the 'pushed to seat' feeling like Cruze.
padmrajravi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 18:00   #5
BHPian

11 years old, 2nd owner Cruze quoted for 3.5 lakhs seems like a lie to me. As others pointed out, go for Accord MT / Civic which will be a painless ownership. If heart is set out for Cruze, then not more than 2 lakhs.

Last edited by GTO : 5th February 2020 at 09:56. Reason: Poorly typed posts. Please type your posts out properly
sandhyab is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th February 2020, 10:00   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Buying a used Chevrolet Cruze

No way should you buy a Cruze that is so old and has zero support from a manufacturer that has abandoned India. You are used to the VFM & hassle-free ownership of the Celerio; the Cruze will be the opposite of that. My recommendations:

1. Buy a Civic or Corolla. Honda now even offers warranties up to 10 years! Also consider extending the budget and getting a newer Ciaz.

2. The use-case seems to be marginal. You could rent a bigger car from Zoom / Myles (both self-drive) for the times you absolutely need one.
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 10:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't make sense. Rather get a Honda City AT which has easier controls and proven long term reliability. The free revving iVTEC will also keep you happy on long weekend travels.

You'll also need to look at vehicle size/type since this car will be primarily used by your wife. Diesel vehicles have harder controls (steering, clutch, etc.) than their petrol counterparts. Moreover, I've seen women drivers struggle in low-slung sedans in traffic and tight parking spots. Keeping that in mind, I'd also suggest you to look at modern premium hatchbacks such as i20 and Jazz. These are easy to drive, more manageable in size and come with several driving aids such as reverse camera straight from the factory.
self_driven is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 10:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Pearl View Post
....uses Celerio four days in a week, 15km per day, for her office commute. We use the Celerio maybe one day in a weekend and that's all....
60Kms a week for office, say even 100Kms every weekend trip makes 650-700Kms a month. Just doesnt make sense to get a obsolete dinosaur for this purpose, your weekend trip will add 50Kms to the FNG every week

Quote:
...plan is to sell my Celerio at about 2.4L, add 1L cash into this and buy the Cruze....
Get this 3+Lacs on hand and go and book the Renault Triber. Its bigger than the celerio and a 2.5-3 Lac (top up) loan should set you back by 4-4.5K Rs every month.

This 4 - 4.5K every month is the "SAME" amount you will be spending on a used A-SegmentObsolete Brand.

Edit - Thread is deviating from the sole purpose of a bigger car from a Celerio - OP is not keen on a A-Segment sedan.

Last edited by svsantosh : 5th February 2020 at 10:46.
svsantosh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 21:33   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Doesn't make sense. Rather get a Honda City AT which has easier controls and proven long term reliability. The free revving iVTEC will also keep you happy on long weekend travels.
100% agree with this. A Honda City CVT would be a very good car instead of the Cruze. Honda also has extended warranty.
Old 6th February 2020, 00:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

If cars24 is offering a decent amount, I'd ask you not to put your head into what could be a nightmare. If you're looking for a bigger car, I'd suggest looking at other used cars. My top contenders would be:
1. Jazz/Baleno/i20
2. City/Ciaz
3. Corolla/Civic if you really want a D segment car

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 6th February 2020 at 00:13.
Old 6th February 2020, 09:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,

I currently own Celerio Zxi(O) which will be 6 years old this month. It is in good condition, but I was single when I bought it. Now I have family of 5 (including my mother) and Celerio is not quite specious to accommodate that. I am looking to replace my Celerio just for this sole reason, otherwise the Celerio is in quite decent condition.
If space, reliability and good performance are your parameters, pick up a used Honda City iVTEC, whether the current gen or the previous. Both are fantastic cars, the engine is a proven performer with good efficiency, interior space management is brilliant. Take your pick between the manual or the CVT. The manual will give you more smiles per mile on those long distance drives, while the CVT will prove more comfortable when tackling city traffic. Can't go wrong with either variant.

PS: Don't even think about the Cruze. Other than the obvious factors of an obsolete model, your usage doesn't justify it's purchase at all.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 6th February 2020 at 09:43.
Old 6th February 2020, 11:06   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Looking for valuable inputs of this community
If you are happy with the Celerio for your usual use & are looking for more cabin space - and just more cabin space - I'd suggest you sell the Celerio and get the Renault Triber brand new instead of a used car.

Afterall - you are looking to use the car to move 5 people occasionally. Even in a Cruze, the cabin space is quite cramped for 5. Marginally over Celerio IMO. Its a car to be owned for adrenaline rush. Not family comfort.
Triber will let your family sit comfortably and without having to squeeze in. An AMT is also available now & your better half's office commute will also be very convenient. Certainly more than one with a bulky diesel Cruze.

Last edited by Reinhard : 6th February 2020 at 11:12.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 11:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

As an ex owner, I'd say avoid the Cruze at all costs. Parts are an issue, service is no existent, and every garage wants to rip you off since they know you have no other option, and parts are not being sold officially. Also it will be impossible to find a buyer for the cruze after a while. We had to finally exchange it for a new car since people were offering almost scrap rates for a mint 60k run 2012 auto Cruze.

My suggestion would be to look at a new Triber or a Used Honda City AT.
JayD is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 12:09   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Chevrolet Cruze top end fully automatic 2011 model
I agree with the rest of the folks here. It should be a no brainer to stay away from a 9-year-old car which is not yet discontinued, but the manufacturer has shut the operations as well.

Since you already mentioned that the primary use is going to be your wife’s office runs, I’d suggest to retain the Celerio for now and use Uber/Ola for your weekend runabouts with your family. If you ever need to hit the highway with all the 5 members of your family and luggage, you can always rent a car and get the job done.

This will ensure that you can upgrade to a bigger car down the line when you feel that the replacement is unavoidable.

The money and the time you’d lose in up keeping the Cruze will not be worth the fun you are expecting to have once in a while. Also, in a city like Pune, daily office commute on the white elephant is going to be more stressful for your better half as well. The ease of driving a hatchback in the city is next to none.

Ride safe,
R-Six
Old 6th February 2020, 16:29   #15
BHPian

Hi - like most of the members have mentioned, don't buy it.
However if you really want to own one, offer your friend 1 lakh and see if he wants to sell it and also retain the Celerio. Negotiate hard!
He is anyways going to have a horrible time selling it sitting in Germany. Don't trade the easily serviceable celerio for the cruze.
Ameya_G is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks