Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2007, 21:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

80kms running which car

Hey Guys,

The Swift VDi + ABS is taking alot of time, so i was considering other options in the market.

My main requirements would be:-

Should have ABS.

Should Only be, First hand, not interested in 2nd hand.
Average distance traveled per month - Around 2000kms
Where car will be mostly used - 75% City, 25% Highway
Chauffer driven / self driven - 100% self driven
Any specific requirements from car - Mileage since my running would be around 80 kms a day, responsive engine and good brakes. Actually everything other then Rear seat comfort and boot space.

Cars which i considered but some drawbacks i noticed : -

1) Suzuki Swift VDi- Have booked this, but dont know how long its gonna take so looking else where.

2) Hyundai Verna VGT - Poor value for money IMHO, i spoke to HMIL and they said its 8,66,000 OTR(with ABS+ 4 Wheel dics), which is mind blowingly expensive for a car which appears smaller in lenght then its sibling the Accent.

3) Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi - Costing around 9lacs but maintainance is on the higher side.

4) Tata Safari Dicor - Its a truck and i love it however since my running is quite a lot it wont do justice to the FE, which is around 12 i have heard.

5) Swift ZXI + LPG - Whats the feasibilty of this? Discounts, features on this car make it sound yummy

6) Ford Fiesta - Was a hot contender but i find it expensive and the engine undeerpowered for the price.

7) Getz CRDI - Not sure when its gonna come, would prefer the Getz over the Swift anyday.

8) Elantra CRDi - Heard some quality issues as Hyundai has done lots of cost cutting.

I want to go in for premium diesel car only or a petrol which can run on LPG sucessfully so please dont recommend me Indica or Indigo's as i still dont find them up to the mark.

Last edited by BUSA : 9th March 2007 at 21:40.
Old 9th March 2007, 21:41   #2
BANNED

Quote:
Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi - Costing around 9lacs but maintainance is on the higher side
That price for a second hand right ?
Old 9th March 2007, 21:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

What about Renault Logan... If you can wait for a month or so.
Old 9th March 2007, 22:03   #4
BHPian

with 75% city driving and FE to match. Fiesta D,Swift D and Getz D seems appropriate. Each of them has ABS as option. You are facing with delivery if Swift D and Getz D has not been launched so you are left with Fiesta D. What say ?
Old 9th March 2007, 22:03   #5
Team-BHP Support

I feel that all your requirements say "Swift VDi" loudly. I would suggest that you might as well wait?
How far away is their latest commitment, any longer than a new car launch like the Logan?
Old 9th March 2007, 22:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

My thoughts

Thanx Navdeep, Dceite, Moralfibre & unkonwn for your valuable comments. Very much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
That price for a second hand right ?
No thats the first hand price. Ex-showroom after discounts. Due to the launch of Verna, Laura, Superb the discounts on the Octavia has increased.

Quote:
What about Renault Logan... If you can wait for a month or so
Logan is a car built to a price. It wont have ABS for sure and its USP is space which is my last requirement. But if its launched within one months time i will surely check it out.

Quote:
You are facing with delivery if Swift D and Getz D has not been launched so you are left with Fiesta D. What say ?
If i dont get a alternative to the Siwft D i will surely not cancel the booking. Fiesta D at 8L is grosely overpriced for a 68bhp engine. I would be better off with a Verna.

Quote:
How far away is their latest commitment
They are saying atleast one and a half months more.

P.S I have a option of getting Swift VDI in a week but ABS is going to take 2 months more.

EDIT - One of the hot fav on my list is The Fiat Palio 1.3 JTD, but there is no idea whatsoever about when its going to be launched & any idea on the Grand Punto Launch? Is the Baleno gonna come with a 1.6JTD or the same as the Swift.

Last edited by BUSA : 9th March 2007 at 22:29. Reason: Palio
Old 9th March 2007, 22:37   #7
BHPian

Punto next year this time around .. thats what I heard on NDTV C&B show
Old 9th March 2007, 22:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Swift VDI is good bet for you for your requirement. But I suggest avoid Swift because once it coveres more than 20,000KM I don't trust maruti cars. build and quality is not there for Maruti Cars.

I suggest wait for 3 weeks from now you will get your dream car, either Swift VDI or other cars will be laucnhed.

Why don't you test drive and think about Innova D G1 limited version costs 9.2 lacs on road I feel, really great package! Its easier to drive even in congested traffic.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 9th March 2007, 23:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Well ravi, the problem with the innova is huge, its always and mostly going to be single handedly driven with just one person at the wheel and mostly one co-passenger and Innova wont give me more the 12kmpl wheras the Swift or anyother diesel will give 14+.

I am waiting for another month to see what cars are launched.
Old 10th March 2007, 10:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

I understand about Innova, its not suitable for your requirement, I suggested that car just because in long run you will find it really usefull. Once you buy it you never feel like selling it.

Its better to wait for a month because many cars are about to debut you will have more choices.

Ravi.
Old 10th March 2007, 10:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

I have a feeling that the new fiat palio would have a diesel option as well,it may just have that 1.3 multijet which the swift has not sure though.
The renault logan may just have an option with abs as well considering the number of variants they are talking about.

The optra diesel,fusion tdci,getz Diesel,baleno diesel all good alternates if waiting for a while is ok.

But other than that no other alternative immediately for the Maruti Swift ddis[who themselves arent giving you abs anyway or are they].

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 10th March 2007 at 11:08.
Old 10th March 2007, 11:10   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
How about waiting on till the new fiat palio,it may just have that 1.3 multijet which the swift has as well.
Fait might surprise u by launching palio with same old engine. I read it in some auto magazine.
Old 10th March 2007, 11:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

9 for a new Octy 1.9TDi!? Its a no brainer. IMHO, go for it as Skoda A.S.S. is getting its act together. The Ambiente/Rider trims come without ABS though. The Elantra CRDi is good VFM too and is quite cheap to maintain. Comes fully loaded with ABS, TCS, airbags and alloys.
Old 10th March 2007, 11:50   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Your requirements point toward a small car only; why even consider the Octavia and gang which are twice the size and price tag?

Let the Swift VDi take time....I think it best suits your purpose. You have to live with the car for atleast 5 years, so a couple of weeks more should be fine for the right product.
Old 10th March 2007, 12:26   #15
BHPian

Hi All, Well this may be slightly off the track, but it may be an important criteria to decide which car. I just checked this link from Fiat Site the company which is the pioneer in CRDi technology and it was the first in the world to develop this Crdi technology.

Petra Diesel

Why is Fiat not offering CRDi diesel technology in India?
• CRDi technology is extremely sensitive to quality of diesel since the pump operates at a pressure of 1200 plus bar. Any adulteration with kerosene or water causes expensive damage to the high pressure injection equipment
• The Indian diesel market is spread across rural and urban cities with major markets being the rural towns where quality of fuel is very poor. Hence for 'B' and 'C' segment cars it is not sensible to offer such sophisticated technology.
• In cars like the Mercedes Benz it is possible to offer CRDi since such cars are used in primarily urban markets and even then they have problems.
• Please note that Fiat is the pioneer in CRDi technology and were the first in the world to develop this technology. At the appropriate time and suitable product range we will offer CRDi technology in the Indian market.

What do you guys think regarding Swift Vdi or others will be good. The engine overhaul might be also required after 70k km or so also and which might be costly as well although Maruti mentions that Swift Vdi is maintenance free over its engine life. Now what could they mean by Engine life?

Also I am not sure if Swift might even require maintenance since it has an awarded Fiat multijet engine. But then the Lxi and Vxi also have the time tested Esteem engine which will certainly be maintenance free. But my gut feeling is that 'Costly maintenance' will be required since it is a new engine and has relatively latest technology. You never know when the fuel might be adulterated.

Any known facts regarding long term maintenance of other Crdi cars like Accent / Scorpio. I even saw another thread where Innova Diesel was also having issues in its exhaust pipe where layers of suit were found.

Also what about the resale value?

Overall mind says that Swift Vdi may be better than the others however the above factors might also be significant factors to decide.

Last edited by Tech : 10th March 2007 at 12:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks