Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2007, 13:52   #1

Aveo 1.4 Base / Honda City EXI

Hi,

I would like to know the best one between Aveo 1.4 base & Honda City 1.5 Exi. I know its a comparison of different class but need your reviews on it. Which one is better in terms of post warranty & after sales. And how does the difference of bhp comes to effect? I mean chvy is 94Bhp@6200 RPM & City is 77Bhp @ 5000 Rpm. Now, does 77 Bhp @ 5000 means 96Bhp@ 6200 Rpm if rationalized with Chevy ?

Please suggest.
Old 15th March 2007, 14:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Service Support/Spares/Warranty/Resale value - The City is a clear winner here by miles. It is also a decent car to drive in the city as the torque is more than sufficient but out on the highway it can feel a little breathless especially when it has high load. Aveo I really can't comment as I haven't driven it extensively enough.

Also if you are going to consider FE then the City would walk all over the Aveo.
Old 15th March 2007, 15:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
but out on the highway it can feel a little breathless especially when it has high load.
NHC being underpowered is subjective. I have driven NHC with 5 heavy adults, with a heavy boot ( > 100Kg ) and AC on - on bad roads & excellent highway. It handled very well and was easily doing 100Kph (highway) - due to traffic I couldn't go higher.

Its a nifty & agile vehicle, very easy to drive - change gears & steer. But definetely its not for racing.
Old 15th March 2007, 15:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Buy a Hyundai Verna CRDi. More power, more torque, and I think it's in between the two as far as pricing goes. Though, between the two, the City would be a better bet.
Old 15th March 2007, 15:21   #5
Team-BHP Support

no dude v1p3r it's more than both of these. these around the 7.5L mark or lower. the verna VGT is 8.6L onroad here.

City EXi is the best bet.
Old 15th March 2007, 15:24   #6
BANNED

Stretch your Budget & Get Optra 1.6 or Verna petrol it's more powerful & better to drive .
Old 15th March 2007, 16:46   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I think your going to get varied opinions. Before more advice pours in just advise all what is your driving style/preference? Do you give lot of importance to brand and re-sale? etc

If you like fast driving: Straightway go for a verna CRDI, and you will not even burn a hole in your pocket on fuel costs

If your a sedate driver and prefer brand image/re-sale then go for NHC EXI.
Old 15th March 2007, 18:16   #8

Hi,

Thanks for replying. My main use will be within town/ City and only on holidays I would travel far i.e about 500-900km.

I have test driven Swift, Fiesta, Aveo, etc and felt that at a road price of 6.36lacs aveo wins the battle but again I feel that it would be very expensive post warranty and resale value.

Please suggest.

Regards,
Sumanta
Old 15th March 2007, 21:06   #9

My thoughts .....

Have been driving the New Honda City GXi (same engine as EXi) for the past 2 months (done 4200 kms) .... and I can tell you that the 77 bhp engine is pretty adequate when it comes to the average persons' driving style. At the end of the day, you have to decide ... take a test drive ofcourse.

I didn't have any problems getting to 120 kmph in decent time ... didn't try to push it more.

Plus the fuel effeciency ... haven't got first hand experience of the Chevy Aveo ... but am getting 14.9 to 15.7 kmpl average in my full-tank-fuel-measure-method (have only done 1 free service yet), and I think the Chevy would have a tough time managing this.

Chevy isn't a bad car to drive (more sporty obviously, 96 bhp will matter) ...... but I'm more than content with the NHC's 77 horses.
Old 15th March 2007, 22:27   #10
BHPian

i feel honda is better than aveo any day.. it may have only 77 bhp, but it is very drivable and have very good FE. After all its a HONDA.
Old 15th March 2007, 22:39   #11
BHPian

Majority here is going for the NHC. yes, City is a great car and the market segment leader, way ahead then aveo. its a known fact that NHC is really an all in one car which actually serves the indian customers on the most imporatnt USP ie the astonishing FE. someone in this forum claimed 22-25 kms/litre. thats amazing if really true. but one can easily get 13.5-15 kms/litre with an average driving habits and city conditions.

However, I own an Aveo 1.4LS. its is the loaded version of the Aveo base model. I must say it is a good car but being an american tag with korean ancestory going against it. many ppl in india are brand crazy. and honda is one such brand.

I suggest you to go for the AVEO 1.4 base or AVEO 1.4 LS. this is actually a VFM car. its initial pickup is not as great as NHC and the gears are also not so smooth. yet the inteiors quality is at par with honda. exterior.... i wud say are better then NHC. Aveo looks like a bold, aggressive and manly car.. while NHC looks are weird(personal opinion though).

another good things in Aveo are the high ground clearance. you wud pass clearly almost all sorts of road pathalos and speed brakers.. I have tried this many times while commuting to my farm houses which are in rural areas. suspension is remarkable too. NHC surely lacks here. it toches ground very often.

regarding FE, yes you can not expect FE figures of NHC from the Aveo. but the mileage is not that bad for a car of this segment. Aveo is heavier then city and the body build quality is better too...still Iam comfortably getting 12.5-13.5 kms/l in city driving with AC. havnt yet tested on highways.

NHC is a better overall car but overpriced for the brand image. AVeo 1.4 is more VFM.

cant comment on the resale prices of aveo as of now. city is excellent in that aspect. A.S.S. of GM has improved a lot . cost of spares are lower then honda.

better if you take test drives of both cars and decide what suits you most.

cheers...
Old 16th March 2007, 01:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu2025 View Post
its initial pickup is not as great as NHC
Are you comparing with the VTEC here? Or the iDSI???
Old 16th March 2007, 08:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Are you comparing with the VTEC here? Or the iDSI???
If your business range is between 1000~2500 rpm, then its I-DSI for you. If its more than ~3000 rpm, its VTEC for you.
Old 16th March 2007, 09:17   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu2025 View Post
Aveo is heavier then city and the body build quality is better too...
Woo... Disagree.. Spot one part from Honda where americans/Korians are better.

Last edited by chanapli : 16th March 2007 at 09:18.
Old 16th March 2007, 10:56   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanapli View Post
Woo... Disagree..
Kerb weight of Aveo is 55 kgs more then City. More the weight, lesser the mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanapli View Post
Spot one part from Honda where americans/Korians are better.
Well I guess the Honda tag is a sentimental issue for you but a Korean tag is not an issue for me. My post was my own opinion abt the two car models, not the two car manufacturers or between Japanese or american. if you read my post carefully you will find that i have mentioned good and not-so-good points abt both cars.

In my view NHC sells astonishingly, mainly for the great FE figures of 14-15. but there are many ppl who are getting just 12-13 from their citys. also that one has to shell out 1 lakh more for this xtra 2kms. City is an overall nice deal but surely overpriced and overhyped.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks