Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

View Poll Results: Should I buy a Pre Owned Maruti Ciaz 1.3 Diesel?
Yes, it will be a flawless ASS experience since 1.3 diesel was like the national engine 189 71.86%
No, it will turn out to be a negative experience in the long run 39 14.83%
Can't say for sure 35 13.31%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2020, 19:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Should I buy a used Maruti Ciaz 1.3L diesel?

Hi everyone. We were looking to replace my dad's 2013 Diesel Amaze. I came across some pretty good deals on a Used Maruti Ciaz 1.3 Diesel. It is a March 2019 model with just 13000 KM on the Odo. The owner is quoting 10 Lakh, which is negotiable and I think could nudge down to 8.5 Lakh.

However, I am worried about the spare parts and after sales of this car. While in general Maruti service is supposed to be brilliant, but since Maruti has discontinued all it's diesel cars and has vowed not to relaunch the same, will this prove out to be a expensive and painful after sales experience? We intend to keep the car for around 7-10 years.
A peaceful after sales experience is the highest priority for us, as the Honda's service experience was not good.

Please help me in this conundrum.

Last edited by 07CR : 14th June 2020 at 19:35.
07CR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 20:38   #2
BHPian

re: Should I buy a used Maruti Ciaz 1.3L diesel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Parts availability should be the least of your worries. There are several cars from Maruti stable that use the 1.3DDIS engine. Even law mandates that the spare parts to be made available for a minimum of 10 years even if the car is discontinued.
Being a Maruti, and successful in terms of sales the resale value should not be bad but the future of diesel in India and especially in metropolitan cities is largely uncertain.
So, any rules similar to the one imposed in Delhi could affect the resale value of the car(being a diesel).
Otherwise no reasons to worry about.

Keep revvin'
Tojo Tonny.
Tojo_GotBhp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 21:39   #3
BHPian

Quote:
However, I am worried about the spare parts and after sales of this car. While in general Maruti service is supposed to be brilliant, but since Maruti has discontinued all it's diesel cars.
There are many reports in this forum where Maruti has still been providing imported SGP parts of Baleno sedan, Grand Vitara, Kizashi and SX4 (I currently own a 2008 ZXi since October 2017). Personally I haven't faced any issues in most spares and even the infrequently used spares unique to the model such as spark plugs, suspension lower arms, engine mounts and fuel filters have not taken more than 5-7 days from order at the Maruti Genuine Parts store to fulfillment.

Additionally, you're thinking about a 1.3 DDiS Ciaz. Since Ciaz is still under production, you should be safe for non-DDiS specific parts for a decade at least. And the DDiS must be running in innumerable taxis (Dzires, in a slightly different configuration, and a few SX4s) in the entire nation (along with quite a good number of private owners of Ciaz, SCross and Brezza), so engine related parts should never be a bother in the next decade ideally. This is actually one of the few diesel engines which will have the least issues in support for the next decade.
Researcher is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 23:51   #4
BHPian

Parts availability will be the least concern for a Maruti Owner. 1.3 DDIS engine is powering most of the Maruti's sold in the past decade. So if your dad is comfortable with Ciaz and love that car, grab it. All the best!!
hema4saran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 07:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

As I saw this thread yesterday, I was at Lemon Tree Hinjewadi, Pune for a friend’s engagement and wedding. Lemon tree had 2 Grand Vitaras parked to ferry guests. As I was heading out to the parking, I spoke to one of the drivers and he told me they have to order the parts in advance Incase it’s a running repair, otherwise parts are available. Both their cars run on CNG and they get all the parts on time.

You are looking at a Ciaz which had the national engine, availability of spares should be least of your concerns.

Last edited by asit.kulkarni93 : 15th June 2020 at 07:44.
asit.kulkarni93 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 09:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

With 10 Lakhs budget, why would you want to consider an used CIAZ?

There are so many more options in that price budget, starting from the Nexon to i20 to Venue to new Amaze.
2000rpm is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 10:48   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I would say a big YES!

Because I own a 5 year old ciaz 1.3 with 1,17,000 km on odo, without even a single niggle. Not even A SINGLE issue so far in all of the 4 years, 10 months and 117k km.

Should I buy a used Maruti Ciaz 1.3L diesel?-img_20200319_174052_605.jpg

As the owner of the car, let me tell you the merits and demerits of it:

Merits

1. Jack of all trades!

2. Best ride quality in the segment. Trust me you will not feel the bad roads at all. This, coming from a guy who has been using Safari Dicor and Safari Storme for a decade.

3. Terrific reliability and fuel efficiency - if you maintain it even half-decently it would keep running and running without any issues. I get 18-20 kmpl actual efficiency, mind you, I have a heavy right foot. Highest actual tankful to tankful FE has been 25.4 kmpl while the lowest (hours of idling with AC on waiting outside shopping malls while missus is shopping + b2b traffic) FE has been 15.8 kmpl.

4. Though initial turbo lag is something you need to get used to, the mid range is punchy (light weight + 0.29 coefficient of drag helps). Highway performance was always something I liked in it.

5. It has the best NVH among all 1.3 diesel cars on sale today. Even the Scross feels gruff after being in a ciaz diesel.

6. Interiors feel plush though there are some cheap plastics at places. It is a nice place to be in. I spend 2-3 hours a day in my car and I like being in it. The front seats are very comfortable too.

Should I buy a used Maruti Ciaz 1.3L diesel?-interior1.jpg

Should I buy a used Maruti Ciaz 1.3L diesel?-interior5.jpg

7. Space - cabin & boot - 5 six footers? No problem. A lot of luggage? No problem.

8. Good resale - I am getting 5.75 lakhs resale for my car now. So it will hold its value well.

9. Excellent service , very cheap spare parts and labour.
These are the service costs upto 1 lakh km. Pretty cheap I would say.

Should I buy a used Maruti Ciaz 1.3L diesel?-service-cost.jpg

10. Big, wide elegant looking 3 box sedan!!

11. Features - A ZDI/Zeta variant has all features one needs. Be it a nice sounding ICE with Bluetooth telephony, steering mounted controls, ACC, rear ac vents, rear blinds, automatic day-night IRVM, rear parking sensors with a hyundai-like good quality camera.

12. Light clutch is a boon in traffic. Effortless to drive and the 5 speed MT is also nice to use.

Demerits

1. Light build quality - even small impacts can cause dents

2. Rattles - if the first owner hasn't been careful while driving over bad roads. Mine has none though.

3. If you intend to travel with 4+ luggage, the 170mm ground clearance may rub against big speed breakers. I have 195/65 section tyres which have increased the ground clearance by an inch.

4. Driveability isn't on par with say a VAG 1.5 TDI or Hyundai 1.6. You might want to get used to the lag below 1900 rpm. Not a deal breaker really, if you ask me.

5. Steering feedback on stock tyres may not be great, but with a nice set of rubbers (recommend Continental MC5 for handling and Michelin P4ST for silent plush ride), things improve a lot.

Common issues - Suspension bar mount needs replacement by 50-60k km. Some cars report that problem before 30k km. I replaced mine at 55k km under warranty, costed me 550 rupees.

Overall I would recommend Ciaz 1.3 as a used car. You can find <50k run 2016 diesel samples for 6.5 lakhs. I wouldn't mind the odo figure as long as the maintenance records are fine.

8.5 lakhs is a lot of money to be put on an used ciaz. But you insist on low figure on odo, it is worth it. You can ideally use it for another 100k km without any issues. Its a totally trouble free car. Perfect family car if you ask me.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 15th June 2020 at 11:16.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 10:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
With 10 Lakhs budget, why would you want to consider an used CIAZ?

There are so many more options in that price budget, starting from the Nexon to i20 to Venue to new Amaze.
We are also looking at a Ecosport S diesel. It's actually the front runner, as me and mom like it more.

Ciaz- My dad likes the looks of the Ciaz. Since it's alpha variant, it is pretty well loaded too. It's spacious, dead cheap on the pocket (both mileage and maintenance wise), looks great, well loaded and comfortable sedan. Everything my dad wants in the car. Only issue is, the ingress egress, as its pretty low (that's where the ecosport comes in).

Nexon- Not really sure of TATA ASS, as my sister has a tiago and the experience has been below average. That said, even as a product, considering our priorities, Ciaz and Ecosport are superior cars than the Nexon.

I20- A hatchback. Mom hates hatchbacks and neither is Dad impressed. Perhaps it's also a full segment lower than our current choices. Not to forget, new gen model is just around the corner.

Venue- There's no used diesel venue in that budget yet. Even if it was, we don't like the hatchback like looks of the Venue.

New Amaze- We already are trying to replace our 2013 Amaze, want a change. But more importantly, very disappointed with the After Sales Service of the Honda. Dad has vowed not to purchase any Honda vehicle in future.

Last edited by 07CR : 15th June 2020 at 10:56.
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 11:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post

Overall I would recommend Ciaz 1.3 as a used car. You can find <50k run 2016 diesel samples for 6.5 lakhs. I wouldn't mind the odo figure as long as the maintenance records are fine.

8.5 lakhs is a lot of money to be put on an used ciaz. It is a totally trouble free car. Perfect family car if you ask me.
Thanks for such an elaborate summary. I have already gone through your ownership report of the Ciaz! You have maintained it very well.

Actually we only want a model that is either 2018 or newer and one that is below 20K kms in running. Ciaz in consideration is March 2019 model with only 13K on the odo.

Thank you everyone, your comments have indeed cleared my doubts about the spares.

Last edited by 07CR : 15th June 2020 at 11:22.
07CR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 11:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

8.5 - 10.00 lacs is too much money to be spent on a used car. IIRC, you can get a brand new Ciaz (middle variant) for 9 lacs!

Take a wise decision.
bluevolt is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 12:21   #11
BHPian

Re: Should I buy a used Maruti Ciaz 1.3L diesel?

Ciaz appears to be a very sensible sedan and generally reliable too.

The problem is that some owners expect too high a resale for their cars.

Considering the Covid-19 situation, you can expect very good deals now and in the months to come. If usage is not high, you can consider the petrol which should give you min 10-11 KMPL in City.

Overall it may work out the same if you buy a new car for the following reasons. Ciaz Petrol Zeta is 9.7L ex-showroom in BLR = approx 11.7L OTR before discounts.

1. Good offers by dealers desperate to move stock. You may get even better discounts on a 2019 model still with the dealer.
2. Warranty coverage and new tyres, batteries,etc - mean only service costs need to be catered for the 3-4 years.
3. Resale value dips when the 2nd owner tries to sell the car - so keep this in mind.
4. Hence keep in mind future resale and potential maintenance costs while quoting for the car and not thoughts - like what a great deal, etc.

Why not also consider the new Amaze Diesel CVT - you should be able to get the V CVT (which is very well specced) for under 11L OTR.

Last edited by Redline6800 : 15th June 2020 at 12:32. Reason: more info
Old 15th June 2020, 12:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
8.5 - 10.00 lacs is too much money to be spent on a used car. IIRC, you can get a brand new Ciaz (middle variant) for 9 lacs!

Take a wise decision.
Actually a quick glance at a car portal website reveals the OTR price of the Ciaz Delta variant to be 10.36 Lakh. Even after discounts, I don't think it will fall under 10 Lakhs.

That said, I would be missing out on a lot of niceties in the Delta variant. Having owned a mid variant car in his lifetime (Maruti 800 EX, Aveo UVA LS, Amaze S), dad and me don't want to compromise anymore. That's why only considering top end variants.

Regarding the pre owned Ciaz, its run very low and is just a year old. I feel the car still has 90% of its life remaining, but I am getting around 40% discount of the car's original price. IMO seems like a better deal.

Last edited by 07CR : 15th June 2020 at 12:53.
07CR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 13:03   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Actually a quick glance at a car portal website reveals the OTR price of the Ciaz Delta variant to be 10.36 Lakh. Even after discounts, I don't think it will fall under 10 Lakhs.
If you feel the car is worth the money quoted, no worries buddy! Go ahead, you'll enjoy the ownership experience.
Just to keep you informed, the used car market in the upper spectrum(budget you're looking at) will be experiencing a decrease in demand. So, that gives you a leverage to bargain with.

OT: Be safe while checking out the car as there will be several people test driving the car. Be it any car, once delivered have a thorough interior cleaning done.

Happy Motoring!
Tojo_GotBhp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 21:31   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone. We were looking to replace my dad's 2013 Diesel Amaze. I came across some pretty good deals on a Used Maruti Ciaz 1.3 Diesel. It is a March 2019 model with just 13000 KM on the Odo. The owner is quoting 10 Lakh, which is negotiable and I think could nudge down to 8.5 Lakh.

However, I am worried about the spare parts and after sales of this car. While in general Maruti service is supposed to be brilliant, but since Maruti has discontinued all it's diesel cars and has vowed not to relaunch the same, will this prove out to be a expensive and painful after sales experience? We intend to keep the car for around 7-10 years.

I personally own a 2016 Ciaz 1.3 Diesel with 41K on the odometer. One thing I can assure you is that the Spare parts and service will not be a issue in the long run. But that said the quality of the car is strictly average. If you are looking for a car with better quality interiors and better build quality I think you should even consider Verna 1.6 and City 1.5 diesel as the service cost of both these cars are similar to the Ciaz and have more equipment on their higher variants as well.

Last edited by Sahilrai166 : 15th June 2020 at 21:47.
Sahilrai166 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 22:29   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post

Take a wise decision.
Not on road.
Mumbai base model petrol came to 9.5L on road after discounts.

My choices to upgrade from the Amaze:

- new Rapid Rider TSi. At 8.5L it's a great deal and Skoda has extended warranty packages for up to 6 years which should give you peace of mind.
Running cost will be higher as its a petrol.

An alternate is the Yaris. It's boring but super reliable, well built, balanced. There are some good examples available online.

- If it has to be a diesel, then the Ciaz is great value for money - especially if its going to be chauffeur driven.
You could think of a Creta 1.4 D if you spot one as it would be within striking range of the Ciaz with better build : though a little older an example.
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed