Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2020, 11:20   #1
BHPian

Replacement for 2nd-gen Honda City. Budget : 15 lakhs OTR. Suggestions?

Hello BHPians

I am looking to replace my 2004 2nd gen Honda City GXi (16 years, 83k kms) and exploring options for the same. My requirements are as follows:

Budget: ~15L OTR (Delhi)
Fuel: Petrol
Transmission: Auto

The car will be used within Delhi NCR by my parents (both 60+ years), who will mostly be chauffeured around the city.

Looking forward to reading your suggestions. Thank you.
kushagra452 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 11:24   #2
BHPian

re: Replacement for 2nd-gen Honda City. Budget : 15 lakhs OTR. Suggestions?

I think either the 5th gen city if the V variant comes around that price point or the ciaz are your best bets as the rear seat comfort and space is the best in these two cars in your budget.

If you are looking for a compact SUV then maybe the Nissan Kicks because of its ability to handle bad roads better and better ride height.

Last edited by sv97 : 11th July 2020 at 11:29.
sv97 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 13:06   #3
BHPian

The upcoming new gen Honda city would be the best bet. Having a city for 16 years might be enough to prove the reliability of the brand. Maruti might not offer the safety that Honda provides.
I would suggest not to go for Compact SUVs as the comfort which sedan offers might not be provided by Pseudo SUVs.
KunalMadaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 15:02   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
Hello BHPians

I am looking to replace my 2004 2nd gen Honda City GXi (16 years, 83k kms) and exploring options for the same. My requirements are as follows:

Budget: ~15L OTR (Delhi)
Fuel: Petrol
Transmission: Auto

The car will be used within Delhi NCR by my parents (both 60+ years), who will mostly be chauffeured around the city.
My suggestion : Honda City VX CVT.

Reasons :
1. Having owned honda for such a long duration, you would be in better position to speak of reliability. Although the new ones aren't that well built but still better than the competition.

2. Any equipment offerings on any other competitor which falls short in honda city are anyways centred around driver convenience.

3. Awesome cushioning, easy ingress/egress, recline angle and thigh support. Big window space and light colored interior don't let you feel claustrophobic on long runs. ( A better place to be than sub 4m or compact SUVs fitting in the price range)

Being in Delhi and with a low running, it undoubtedly needs to be a petrol but as you mentioned it'll be used by your parents and they'll be chauffeured, any particular reason to not go for manual?
petrolHead_1609 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 15:29   #5
BHPian

I would say avoid buying a Honda City again. Having owned a ‘04 GXi and an ‘08 ZX CVT, I’d say its a very good car which had a higher seating position and an underrated suspension.
With the newer ones coming in, the ride quality and built quality have considerably gone down as confirmed by my friends after driving my cars who own a ‘09 and ‘14 City respectively. This has also been quoted by my acquaintances who work in Honda ASC.

The Honda City you own is the sedan version of the Honda FIT (Jazz). It is meant to be comfortable and not the other City’s which have sporty intentions. So don’t go by the name Honda City as the newer ones are very low, therefore, ingress and egress wouldn’t be as easy as it is in your current car.

Try considering the Petrol Hyundai Creta AT. It wouldn’t be as fuel efficient as the City CVT but surely it’ll be more than a step up from your existing City in terms of comfort and space. Your parents will be 65+ in the next 5 years and surely they’ll love the higher seating postion.

KIA Seltos : Being in Delhi, I believe that getting a good service and availability of spares should be easy. It looks much better than the existing Creta.

Maruti Ciaz : Apart from the not so good built quality, I don’t find anything against it. It’s a no-nonsense car. The 4AT coupled with Mild Hybrid should fare an economy close to City CVT. The backseat and rear leg room can put each and every car here to shame.

Toyota Yaris : Again, a very underrated car. Simple, but looks much newer than a ‘04 Honda City. I just fell in love with the ride quality which was on par with my Duster. It loses a little on leg room at the rear and a not so involving to drive car. But being not so low and having compact dimensions, it’ll be the easiest for your dad to drive when the driver isn’t available.

Last edited by dr.aviansh : 11th July 2020 at 15:38.
dr.aviansh is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 15:45   #6
BHPian

I believe that Hyundai Venue SX Plus Turbo DCT DT(Petrol) shall be a good fit for your parents' usage. It would help them move around town while navigating through potholes and bad roads with the utmost peace of mind as the ground clearance is adequate (if they drive once in a while). The level of modern electronics and equipment on offer is extremely vfm. This vehicle shall carry them in comfort as the rear headroom and legroom is adequate for two adults. The petrol variant shall provide adequate punch, refinement and efficiency for usage within Delhi-NCR. The on-road price for this variant comes to around Rs.13,27,773 (Courtesy:- cardekho.com)

Last edited by SID2997 : 11th July 2020 at 15:47.
SID2997 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 16:52   #7
BHPian

The rear seat comfort for Honda City 4th Generation is superior in the segment. It would be the same for 5th generation, I guess. So you can chose from these two based on the list of features, the need and affordability. I own 4th generation CVT, for your reference.
daredevil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 18:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Go for a Yaris or stretch for a Corolla. They may not look as cool and different as the second generation Honda City did when it first came out, but they definitely more than make up for it in terms of build, reliability, ergonomics and ride. They are definitely the type of cars that could last you another 15 years with no fuss

Last edited by IshaanIan : 11th July 2020 at 18:09.
IshaanIan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 19:43   #9
BHPian

Considering you have used your previous car for 15 long years, I am assuming you might keep your new one for that long as well. For such long duration ownerships, key aspects to consider are reliability of the car model, long term availability of spares and safety features (6 Airbags minimum since your parents are going to be in the back seat most of the time). Everything else like infotainment system, LED lights etc will be outdated in any car after 15 years so that shouldn't matter and you can always upgrade them.
Cars that come within your budget are, Verna SXO CVT, Yaris G CVT, Aspire Titanium+, Ecosport AT and Venue DCT. As you can see, these cars are from multiple segments and each has its own pros and cons. Test drive all with your parents and make a decision. My pick would be the Yaris for its quite cabin, comfortable suspension and a reputation for reliability. Only unknown is the availability of spares after 15 years but I can still see 15+ year old qualis running as Emergency Road side assistance vehicles (speaks volumes about the brands reliability) it is quite likely that this car too will run fuss free for ages.
nagr22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 20:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

After 10 long years of owning a 3rd Gen City, we chose Kia Seltos over upcoming gen City.

Your parents will love the ingress/egress especially when they are 60+.

I too had a tough time to decide as replacing a City is no child's play. At the end of the day, do take test drives and make a final call.

You might want to refer ownership thread that I posted and if that can help you in making a decision.

Posting links for your reference.
bluevolt is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 21:27   #11
BHPian

I think you should check out the new Nissan Kicks with 1.3L Turbo Petrol. The ride quality is fantastic, as it is based on the Duster platform. Just that, the unknown is After sale service of Nissan in your city, which you can take feedback before taking a decision.
sahil624 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 08:24   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
After 10 long years of owning a 3rd Gen City, we chose Kia Seltos over upcoming gen City.
Another vote for the Kia Seltos . Your folks will enjoy the taller seating versus the low City. For 15 lakhs, you probably won't get the topmost model which isn't a bad thing keeping the intended purpose in mind. Lower variant = smaller wheels = taller tyre sidewall = better ride comfort. The topmost variant's 17" wheels brings ride quality that might be too firm for your parents.

You could also consider the MG Hector which has phenomenal space & lovely ride quality (no driving pleasure though).

Among sedans, I'd recommend the 5th-gen City or Ciaz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
I think you should check out the new Nissan Kicks with 1.3L Turbo Petrol.
Not at all. OP keeps cars for long. I have my doubts whether Nissan India will even be around for 10 years - related thread (Nissan India Deathwatch - Will Nissan exit India?).

Last edited by GTO : 12th July 2020 at 08:27.
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 11:23   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Replacement for 2nd-gen Honda City. Budget : 15 lakhs OTR. Suggestions?

Wait till the launch of the Scross AT. Why the Scross?

1. It will be well within your budget.
2. The suspension setup gives it a comfortable ride unlike the Seltos.
3. It will be easy for your parents to get in and out of the Scross.
4. The 1.5L Petrol engine + 4-speed TC is reliable and efficient.
5. Scross is one of the better built Maruti’s around. It will keep your parents safe.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 11:30   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Another vote for the Kia Seltos . Your folks will enjoy the taller seating versus the low City. For 15 lakhs, you probably won't get the topmost model which isn't a bad thing keeping the intended purpose in mind. Lower variant = smaller wheels = taller tyre sidewall = better ride comfort. The topmost variant's 17" wheels brings ride quality that might be too firm for your parents.

You could also consider the MG Hector which has phenomenal space & lovely ride quality (no driving pleasure though).

Among sedans, I'd recommend the 5th-gen City or Ciaz.
But OP has stated 15 Lac OTR Delhi as budget, fuel petrol and transmission as auto and Seltos petrol automatic variant does not retail at that price point. If the budget is flexible then seltos is a no-brainer.

Last edited by sv97 : 13th July 2020 at 11:32.
Old 13th July 2020, 15:49   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

The Creta may be a better option than the Seltos with it's softer nature as many claim - I haven't had a chance to drive either.

If they find it to be too high, the S-Cross would be next on the list, followed by the Yaris / Ciaz (Quality v/s better rear seat).

That being said, if I had to keep a car for 15+ years to be driven around in, I'd look hard for a pre-owned 2018 Corolla with low miles, or the Yaris if legroom is acceptable.

Last edited by lamborghini : 13th July 2020 at 15:50.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks