Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2007, 14:22   #61
Team-BHP Support

Agreed GS, you have your reasons, and others have theirs.
Peace.
Old 20th April 2007, 01:26   #62
BHPian

Well if you are comparing Ikon with Esteem on build quality, let me assure you my friend I have both these cars in my family, and in day to day city driving, with wat all traffic we have in teh city, ikon is far better handing crashes with bikes, scooters and other cars. the esteem is the quickest to get a big dent in the skin even on a light scrap with any object.
As far as head on collisions and high speed accidents are concerned, well no car in this segment is safe. Its a pity that in our country we dont have basic stuff as air bags, abs etc in cars even in D segment coming as a standard equipment, so safety it seems is the last thing which concerns the consumers and as a result the manufacturers. All we are concerned about is budget cars with low running cost...!! So yes Ikon is also not SAFE, but SAFER than Esteem and Accent for day to day scrambles. High speed crashes will eventually lead anyone to divine path, at least in our country with all basic cars that we have.
Old 20th April 2007, 06:28   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin_seattle View Post
Well if you are comparing Ikon with Esteem on build quality, let me assure you my friend I have both these cars in my family, and in day to day city driving, with wat all traffic we have in teh city, ikon is far better handing crashes with bikes, scooters and other cars. the esteem is the quickest to get a big dent in the skin even on a light scrap with any object.
As far as head on collisions and high speed accidents are concerned, well no car in this segment is safe. Its a pity that in our country we dont have basic stuff as air bags, abs etc in cars even in D segment coming as a standard equipment, so safety it seems is the last thing which concerns the consumers and as a result the manufacturers. All we are concerned about is budget cars with low running cost...!! So yes Ikon is also not SAFE, but SAFER than Esteem and Accent for day to day scrambles. High speed crashes will eventually lead anyone to divine path, at least in our country with all basic cars that we have.

Really well written Ashwin. I second you on Ikon after driving Baleno 05, Ikon 1.6 2001 and Esteem VXI 99. Ikon 1.6 rocks amongst these 3.
Old 20th April 2007, 07:15   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownerofazkaban View Post
We have petrol Indigo GLS at home, it's done 60k in 2 years and I can vouch for it's comfort and space. recently fitted a 60L LPG tank and still good space left in trunk and it works out well.
With the XETA, i have heard of many people having a good experience with it. So, hopefully TATA has addressed all the problems with Petrol engines. With the new facelifted interiors/exteriors, i would surely say, it is worth doign a test drive of the Indigo too. Are you planning to convert to CNG any time later? I am not sure, but i read some reports that some XETAs sometimes show the CHECK ENGINE light on CNG. However, the LPG experience seems very satisfactory [as per a friend of mine].
Old 20th April 2007, 07:44   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin_seattle View Post
ikon is far better handing crashes with bikes, scooters and other cars. the esteem is the quickest to get a big dent in the skin even on a light scrap with any object.
It's called a crumple zone. Either the metal takes the hit, or the passenger does.
Old 29th April 2007, 00:36   #66
BHPian

Its now ikon flair vs chevy uva vs swift diesel

Hi guys,

Finally, after a hectic week.. I am back and want to finalise the car in this week too.

I've decided to include two more cars on my list on recommendation of fellow team-bhpian's. Chevy UVA n Swift.
Aveo/Fiesta are out of my budget.

Ford Ikon: +ves n -ves, mentioned on the 1st page

Chevy UVA- took a test drive today.
+ves:
1. "Incredibly" spacious.. A big car feeling from inside (may be more spacious than ikon also)
2. Nice interiors, integrated power window switches, gloves boxes etc.
3. Good performance. pick-up is good
4. 3yr/100000 km warranty

-ves:
1. price: on a higher side
2. not sure about fuel economy

Swift Petrol:
discussed many times, so no point mentioning again.

so guys, its now ikon flair vs chevy uva vs swift diesel... what would you suggest? waiting for your imp. response.
Old 29th April 2007, 03:29   #67
BHPian

Guys have a look at fiat adventure as well. It is priced less than many discussed here.

Last edited by swathyd : 29th April 2007 at 03:29. Reason: mistake
Old 29th April 2007, 09:19   #68
Senior - BHPian

Dcetech

personally i like chevy uva compared to swift petrol, its more peppier in the city and fun to drive. its price is quite high though which is one thing that really bothers me. swift at 6 lacs has no airbags/abs/alloyes and chevy uva at 6 lacs has abs and alloys atleast. FE will be 11-12 with uva and 15-16 with swift diesel. i cancelled my swift diesel because of a horrible wait period. the uva must be available by 2 wks mostly which is acceptible.

the ford ikon is enticing since its a sedan at a much lower price (5 lacs i think) in which case you have one lakh left for either repairs or fuel costs! either way that becomes a benefit. if mostly in city, the ikon is good enough to drive around. atleast its proven and people know its pros and cons well as discussed earlier in this thread. if you think you can put up with ford services and your satisfaction levels with ford, go for it.

lastly, drive all the three - see which one you like the most (dont compare cars while driving them, do it only after you drive each individually like i did) . once you decide your liking apply your mind to it and see if its practical or whether your budget and practicality suggests you to take the next best in the liking scale. this should help you finally own a car of either your first choice or your next best choice atleast!

good luck!
Old 29th April 2007, 09:24   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
It's called a crumple zone. Either the metal takes the hit, or the passenger does.
Not necessary. Because if it were true, then the entire Esteem is a crumple zone. The crumple zone protects the passenger shell from frontal and rear impacts. If the skin deforms too much, say from the side, then what is the advantage? For example a driver will get crushed if a fast moving vehicle rams his car from the side.

Of course, in a sideways collision, it would help to have a stronger cage. Don't know if the strength of the Esteems cage matches the weakness of its shell. The Swift on the other hand seems well engineered overall. Again, it is gut feel, because with the high speeds that the Esteem is capable of, the thin shell is not very confidence inspiring.
Old 29th April 2007, 12:10   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Not necessary. Because if it were true, then the entire Esteem is a crumple zone. The crumple zone protects the passenger shell from frontal and rear impacts. If the skin deforms too much, say from the side, then what is the advantage? For example a driver will get crushed if a fast moving vehicle rams his car from the side.

Of course, in a sideways collision, it would help to have a stronger cage. Don't know if the strength of the Esteems cage matches the weakness of its shell. The Swift on the other hand seems well engineered overall. Again, it is gut feel, because with the high speeds that the Esteem is capable of, the thin shell is not very confidence inspiring.
1. The sheet metal is never the crumple zone. Not in the M800, not in a corolla. Crumple zone is "inside" the "skin". In the front on back.
2. Thin sheet metal does not have much to do with safety in case of side impacts. If you are T-boned by a truck, neither a 2mm thick sheet metal or a 5mm thick sheet metal will save you. The purpose of the sheet metal is not the "major" factor as far as safety. Of course some cars have very very thing sheet metal, but thats a rarity in today's world.
3. So what gives you side safety? Side impact beams. These are tubular one inch thick steel beams inside the door, which will prevent you going to the front passengers side in case of impact.
4. As for safety and such, older cars such as esteem etc., do not offer as much safety as newer designs. The proof of the pudding is cars from Maruti itself. Look at the build, sheet metal etc., of swift. Thinner and light built cars cost less to build. Low initial cost means more profits. So why does swift weigh so much more? Well all modern cars weigh 1000kgs(approx).
5. The arguments saying 20 years old design is safer and better built than a modern design are given by fanboys. There are rare exceptions to the rule, like the Aveo. Read more at the fracas at NCAP w.r.t this car. ITs a cheap car, and not as well known as mercedes otherwise the scandal would have been bigger than the A class fiasco.
Old 29th April 2007, 13:12   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
1. The sheet metal ..... class fiasco.
What are you trying to say? I think you are saying exactly what I am saying, but in a more detailed way.
Old 29th April 2007, 15:31   #72
Team-BHP Support

Yes I am agreeing with you on some points, and disagreeing on others Simple.
Old 30th April 2007, 01:08   #73
BHPian

as we seem to digress from the main topic... i.e. helping me out [] in choosing a right car..

I've shortlisted ikon n aveo uva (after a day of thinking n thinking, I'm not able to convince myself for swift yet), wht would you suggest?

is GM's a.s.s. much better than Ford's?
Old 30th April 2007, 09:16   #74
Senior - BHPian

yes i believe GM's A.s.s will be better than fords. if you are hell bent on the sedan, go for ikon, if you are willing to compromise for a hatch, go for UVA (believe me its spacious, with nice interiors and good driveability - with 3 adults and a/c i never felt it was unwilling to pull us, so long as you keep it in the right gears and rpms!)

try going in for LT @ 6 lacs - its got alloys, and ABS.
Old 30th April 2007, 09:35   #75
BHPian

if ur budget is not permitting u more that 5.5 then IKON is the best deal

Hi,

If ur budget is not permitting to strech more than 5.5lacs then IKON is the best choice and as mentioned in ealiler post, it is best if u want to have it for CITY driving and not bad either for long drives too.

GM has good A.S.S but Ford has more wider serviceable options even with local car experts in cities. Ford parts have come donw compared to GM 's which are still pricey.

IKON is true drivers car with pepey drive and gr8 handling...

Cheers!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks