Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2021, 14:47   #31
BHPian

Re: Used Skoda Superb L&K 2.0 TDI AT with 104,000 km on the odo?

First things first. If the car has run 100,000 km in 4 years, that is a lot of miles, but that's also a lot of running working parts. So you can probably eliminate worries consequent of car sitting idly (fuel lines, cooling lines, et al). Next, you say that the car has been maintained at A.S.S and has clocked 104,000 km. That probably means the Water Pump & Timing Belt Assembly have been changed as per service manual. It be a good idea to check. The DQ250 is a more robust gearbox than the 7 speed DQ200.
Having said all of the above, there are still a lot of parts that could fail, like, say, the ABS Control Unit. That's ₹150,000 you will never see again. The DRLs are aesthetic and you could choose to ignore it if you're not a form-over-function guy.
Buying it will be a heart over head decision for you. I can feel it already. But set aside ₹200,000 in an FD somewhere, cuz you may need it for repairs. It's a good product offering, and at the right price, a VFM proposition over the long term provided you keep it and exercise diligence even in its maintenance.
bhargav2015 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 15:57   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

While 100000 km in 4 years is normal for people like me, I wouldn't touch a Skoda with 6 digits on the odo. While the purchase price might be mouth-watering, I will always be anxious about the next part failure and expensive replacements.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 17:15   #33
BHPian

@hardithind: It is quite ambitious to buy a Skoda already done 1L kms even though under warranty (this is the only piece of mind you will have), I am sure you know what you will be getting into since you are already owning VW Vento over 1.4L kms.

I have owned a Skoda Laura L&K for over 7 years done around 70,000kms, trust me it works very well till the 6 year mark and after that it becomes a pain as the A/C conked twice post that and had various electronic issues, which may cover under warranty for you but just be informed. I would personally stay away from such a car.

Pay that much extra and get a Japanese any day - you may get pre-owned Camry or Accord which maybe better cars to buy and run high mileage.
xtremeshock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 17:46   #34
Senior - BHPian

This to me is a ticking time bomb. If you have the willingness and patience to diffuse go for it. Also be ready to write off 90% of the money you invest, A luxury sedan with high mileage is difficult to find buyers.
Old 26th April 2021, 19:09   #35
BHPian

Since it's in warranty, I don't see a lot of problems honestly, German machines can rack up thousands of Kms , and the extended warranty should of great assistance to you.
armaan_singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 19:47   #36
BHPian

I would go against the majority view here. Most cars sold in the used market after a few years have run a lot of kms. Their odometers are usually tempered. People feel good thinking the car has run 42k or 64k kms but most of the time the real mileage is much higher. Of course if it is company owned and service records match then it is fine but almost all cars on the used market sold by dealers and even private individuals have their mileage rolled back. So don’t let the 100k kms dissuade you if the price is right and the car looks good.

I purchased a 5 year old Volkswagen Passat which is now 10 year old. It is practically the same car as the Superb. It officially had 86k kms at that time but a check with the VW dealer showed that the car had run 110k kms a year ago. So it was safe to assume that it had run over 150k at that time. It didn’t dissuade me as I loved the car and the price was good. I just negotiated a better price based on the real mileage. My logic was that I was getting a 40 lakh car for 1/4th the price. Even if I ended up spending a few lakhs, I would be fine. After 5 years, my car is still going strong. I spent around 30k at purchase fixing some minor issues as well as an oil and DSG oil change. Since then I have had small expenses like changing a suspension strut for around 8k and the fan blower motor for around the same price. I have driven the car quite a bit including long trips like Delhi to Goa. Only major issue was a DMF (dual mass flywheel) replacement last year for around 45k which is something that is required every few years. The trick with older vehicles is that you need to baby them. Don’t push them hard if you don’t want things to break down. Your potential car is just 4 years old. You can easily drive it for another 6 to 8 years before it starts getting very old. It is imperative to have a good FNG that is familiar with Skoda and has access to cheap parts. Here in NCR we are fortunate to have the World of Service where Anupam has helped me immensely with the car. In addition, I have purchased a Jetta with around 80k mileage and it also worked out really well with no issues at all. It has also been driven extensively including a Delhi to South India trip. So, focus on the price and overall quality of the car and don’t let the 100k mileage bother you apart from using it as a bargaining tool. As far as checking vehicle records is concerned, just go over to any Skoda dealer. Go to the service area and find a helpful looking adviser. Then tell him or her that you are planning on buying the car. If possible, give them a copy of the RC. Then ask them if there have been any major issues and when it was serviced. Ask for the mileage when it came in the for the past two or three services and then you can see if it matches the current mileage. They don’t have to provide this information but mostly they are quite helpful. I have done this several times without any issues.
Lobogris is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 20:29   #37
BHPian

If you are getting it at a very good price, then only go ahead. Since you are planning to keep it for long and this car has already covered 1lakh+ kms, its risky.

Please have it checked thoroughly at the A.S.S., book a slot in morning. Be prepared with downtime and set aside money for unforeseen repairs.

For a pre owned car, hope you had come across other cars as well during your search.
If you are particular about superb, then see some more as well, that will give you a fair idea on pricing and you will get to know more about the car in general.

Keep looking, have patience and you will get right car that will appeal to head and heart.
Old 26th April 2021, 20:56   #38
BHPian

Based on opinions shared so far, I strongly suggest you consider it if you are getting an extremely good deal on it. Keep aside 5 lakhs or budget 5 lakhs towards preventive maintenance and any unforeseen part failure for the next 3-4 years. The extended warranty should mitigate your risk to some extent. Purchasing this car will be more of a heart decision than a mind decision so be prepared for some heartburn if it were to occur some time in the foreseeable future. Keeping it for 10 years maybe quite ambitious. Realistically, hold on to it for 5 years and if it continues to serve you well then continue to hold on to it longer. At the end of the day, if the deal is too good to pass then don't let go. During the course of your ownership, do find a reliable FNG to take care of the car and since you are in the Merchant Navy I assume that it may be relatively easier for you to procure parts from Europe if you intend to keep your maintenance costs at a reasonable level.
LPJ777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 22:57   #39
BHPian

RUN! As far and as fast as you can.

The Superb is a very expensive car to own and maintain. Having already clocked 104 K doesn’t make a good case for it.

If you are into executive, luxury sedan, go for the Toyota Camry. You might also Eve able to get the hybrid. Might not be as engaging to drive but it will last longer than you would need it to.

Happy driving. Cheers!
Old 27th April 2021, 07:04   #40
BHPian

Let me share you a live example.

My friend was looking for diesel automatic recently and ended bought a used 2010 Jetta Tdi with 1.25 Lakh Kms on the ODO for 3 Lakhs INR.
We took it to the VW Madras and got the complete inspection.
The inspection report said below needs immediate attention,
Water pump,
AC Compressor
DSG Fluid,
suspensions and lower arms
Wheel bearings
New battery
New tyres
DSG DQ200 oil replace
Few electronic works like OVRM motors
-
Quote from VW Madras = 2.96 Lakhs.
-
We got the quote and took the car and German motor works FNG. Completely serviced and including the tyre change, We closed the bill for 1.9 Lakhs.
-

So, 3 Lakh car + 2 Lakh for complete service. For 5 lakhs, We got a segment superior safer car. Compare the same 5 lakh new Celerio/WagonR/Spresso/Tiago etc with this 2.0 Jetta, The Value is tremendous.
We already covered 9k kms in last 3 months includes multiple outstation trips to Hyderabad, Kerala etc..
--
If you have a good FNG, Go for the Skoda superb. Get the complete inspection report from the dealer. Enjoy the German beauty.
--
Used Skoda Superb L&K 2.0 TDI AT with 104,000 km on the odo?-screenshot3.png

Last edited by ash22 : 27th April 2021 at 07:05.
ash22 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 08:53   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash22 View Post
Let me share you a live example.

My friend was looking for diesel automatic recently and ended bought a used 2010 Jetta Tdi with 1.25 Lakh Kms on the ODO for 3 Lakhs INR.
We took it to the VW Madras and got the complete inspection.
The inspection report said below needs immediate attention,
Water pump,
AC Compressor
DSG Fluid,
suspensions and lower arms
Wheel bearings
New battery
New tyres
DSG DQ200 oil replace
Few electronic works like OVRM motors
-
Quote from VW Madras = 2.96 Lakhs.
If you know that this vehicle would cost 100% of its value to repair to make it roadworthy, would you pay good money and buy it in the first place?

This appears to be only the beginning of your friend's monetary sacrifice.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 10:37   #42
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I drive a Skoda Laura which I had picked up when it had 122k KMs(from a Bhpian) in 2019. Right now the car has done 161k KMs. I will suggest you consider this car if you have the following-

1. A reliable and trustworthy FNG. I have a trustworthy FNG which keeps my car running really well.

2. The price offered should be atleast 20-25% lower than Superbs on sale in the market which are run relatively less.

Many members have raised concerns over the 104k KMs but trust me for a well kept Skoda, 104k KMs is nothing. We have a few members who have done 200k+ KMs on their Jettas, Lauras, Superbs & Passats. I have driven two such cars and you can barely find it out if you hide the ODO. It's a simple equation, if you get the car at a lesser price, you can use a part of that money saved for running repairs and you are good to go. And please also note that 80% diesel vehicles in the market have their meters tampered. And yes this is prevalent even with relatively new cars too. There are a lot of heavy users who change cars every 3-4 years. When these cars end up in the market, most of them are tampered.

If you get this car at a relatively lower price, do consider it. Keep 2 lakhs aside and you are good to go. Most German cars throwing tantrums are porch ornaments and not those which actually run. Also because its a company owned car and you are dealing with the owner, you can negotiate hard. The transfer process is not much different from the regular transfer, but please clarify before hand that the car will be transferred to your name from the company directly and not transferred to the current user of the vehicle and then sold to you. In that case, the equation changes.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 10:52   #43
Senior - BHPian

Why not go for a used Camry? There are some pretty good deals on these and will easily help you in the quest for another 10 years of usage. Sure it isn't as good a handler as the Superb, but Camry too has it's own sets of tricks. It has the sofa of a back seat, excellent ride quality, brilliant NVH, and some unique features. Not to mention the rock solid Toyota Reliability and relatively very affordable cost of maintenance.

Few examples on OLX in Punjab-

https://www.olx.in/en/item/toyota-ca...iid-1626614196

https://www.olx.in/en/item/toyota-ca...iid-1626234845

https://www.olx.in/en/item/toyota-ca...iid-1619989636

https://www.olx.in/en/item/toyota-ca...iid-1630211126

All the above examples are between 16.75 L and 19L, which you can easily lower to about 12-15L. These are hybrids, so even the fuel efficiency part will be taken care of.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 10:58   #44
BHPian

I will say you should stay away from this.
When it comes to buying a pre-owned car, my thumb rule is to stay away from german cars which have done more than 50k kms as that is when the parts replacement start creeping in and expenses gradually start piling up and not to mention the reliability of the car for outstation trips also takes a big hit. I can consider using a car owned by myself as first owner for a longer duration but definitely a no no for someone else's car.

My 2013 Pajero Sport with 100k km hasnt required anything apart from routine maintenance and it runs the same like when it was new but two europian cars that i bought pre-owned (Octavia vRS and Koleos) gave me several break downs and reliability/part failure issues despite myself always being meticulous and proactive about timely maintenance and stictly at the authorized workshops. Notably, Octavia was at 16k km and in pristine condition when i bought it but it still gave me as many issues in my 55k km of ownership compared to Koleos which i used till 160k km before i sold it.
46TheDoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 11:15   #45
BHPian

All the cars I've bought so far have had 1-2 lakh kms on the odo. So I think I'm qualified to answer your question. Buying a car with high mileage is not that bad an idea as most people would consider. Any car, be it maruti or skoda are made to last 5+ lakh kms at least. Just that some cars need more time and patience to keep them running. Primarily due to the lack of expertise and spares to keep them running. Go ahead and buy the car if you are willing to do the following things,
1) Be ready to ditch Skoda service as soon as the extended warranty is over. For Skoda you are just a cash cow that they'll continue miking as long as you let them. There is no way you can service a car at an authorized service center after 1 lakh kms, doesnt matter if it's a Skoda or a Honda.
2) Find a reliable FNG, and be ready to source parts from wherever you can. A little bit of research definitely helps in saving thousands if not lakhs. Especially with premium cars.
3) Ignore minor niggles. Such as a broken power window switch or something similar. Or DIY. They cost a bomb to fix. But I'd anyday drive a superb with a broken switch than a new C segment sedan with everything working.
4) Be ready to she'll out 10-20% of the car's actual value(5-10 lakhs in your case) in case something major goes wrong. Because sometime, they do. But I think it's worth it if you are driving a superb instead of an entry level sedan.
5) Be ready to spend the time to get it done. Fixing premium cars are labor extensive. Premium cars tend to spend more time at the service center once they cross 1-2 lakh kms.
6) Do not abuse the car as you would a new car. After 1 lakh kms cars become less abuse friendly.

All said and done, if you love well engineered cars it's well worth it in my opinion. There is no way I can afford a new 5 series, but I'd happily buy a used one with 1 lakh kms on the odo at 1/4th the price, even if it means more effort to keep it running. For me the pleasure of driving a premium car far outweigh the risks of maintaining a high mileage example.

So if you fall in this category, go for it.
knshailender is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks