Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2021, 11:29   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Used Skoda Superb L&K 2.0 TDI AT with 104,000 km on the odo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harditthind View Post
3. Future cost of ownership. The car is intended for long distance/highway driving and will not see a lot of city use. And I intend to keep for 10 years if I can. Maybe a longterm Skoda owner can weigh in here on the costs involved. I would appreciate that.
We used to own a Corolla for about 14 months in 2017-18, during that we spent close to a lac on part replacements and maintenance. If this doesn't sound like you, walk away!
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 11:30   #47

Having owned a Skoda Octavia for a good 4-5 years, I would keep away from the car.
It's a headache to maintain these cars as soon as a single issue comes up.

In short: My car started giving black smoke randomly to realize that multiple mechanics mentioned that the Turbo has gone Kaput. Got quotes from as low as 1.5lacs to as high as 4.5 lacs to get it right.
I left my car under the wraps for a good 3 months when I found a great neighborhood mechanic who was used to working on these cars. He opened the car and found that the Airmass sensor had gone wrong. It cost me 18k to get it back on the road.

So you know, from 3lac avg quote to getting it solved at 18k, not everyone is lucky.

After a few months, I found that the rear tires had started to lose thread quicker than usual. Found out that the suspension rod was not aligned. Cost me 20k to get it corrected and another 10k to get the rear tires changed.

These are just 2 main problems I remember. I Can't recollect how paranoid I used to be every time I cranked the engine.

Look for a less driven car which may cost higher, but will result in better money spent per km thereafter.

All the best!
dhruv.bansal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 11:49   #48
Senior - BHPian

Since this is your first step into the world of used cars, I would suggest you let this car go. It may end up, you losing confidence in used cars.

Used cars are great but you need to be patient and wait for the right one. Trust me the right car always turns up.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 15:09   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash22 View Post
Let me share you a live example.

My friend was looking for diesel automatic recently and ended bought a used 2010 Jetta Tdi with 1.25 Lakh Kms on the ODO for 3 Lakhs INR.
Please do keep us updated with the ownership details. There are hardly any stories of people buying a decade old German on this forum. It'd give a real idea on the costs and headaches, and of course pleasure of such cars after they are decade old.
evil_grin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 15:49   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_grin View Post
Please do keep us updated with the ownership details. There are hardly any stories of people buying a decade old German on this forum. It'd give a real idea on the costs and headaches, and of course pleasure of such cars after they are decade old.
Right so he is to become a Guinea pig for the benefit of us all who would love to own a Superb but are scared of buying such an old one.

A bhpian friend sold a manual Jetta with over 1 lakh on the odo to one of his other friends - some months later the friend asked him why he sold it, it was running great. DSG not so much, I suspect.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 16:51   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Right so he is to become a Guinea pig for the benefit of us all who would love to own a Superb but are scared of buying such an old one.

A bhpian friend sold a manual Jetta with over 1 lakh on the odo to one of his other friends - some months later the friend asked him why he sold it, it was running great. DSG not so much, I suspect.
Evil_grin has quoted someone else's post, who already has bought a decade old car, not the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_grin View Post
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 06:33   #52

Thank you everyone for all the valuable feedback and opinions. And I apologize that I dropped off the radar for so long.

A lot has happened since my last post.

I DID BUY THE SUPERB!!

The deal was closed on 30th April. And the RC was transferred on 5th May which the seller took care of. In fact the RC (new smart card type) was received in post by 14th, which definitely surprised me. I had settled in for a long wait.

Unfortunately, I was called away to sea on the 3rd May so could not spend too much time with the Superb. I did manage to squeeze a few quick trips to neighboring towns despite lock downs.

Anyways, without further ado, here are a couple of pictures of her I managed to take before leaving.

Used Skoda Superb L&K 2.0 TDI AT with 104,000 km on the odo?-img_1397.jpg

Used Skoda Superb L&K 2.0 TDI AT with 104,000 km on the odo?-img_1406.jpg

For better or worse she is mine now and I am set for this adventure. I do promise to keep this community updated of all the joys and misery owning a second hand Skoda.
harditthind is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks