Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2007, 13:28   #16
BHPian

@Ankur...Hope you are aware of the CRDI's and CRDEs technologies available in the market..Diesel cars are no longer powerless.Try a test drive with the VErnas,Skodas & Vivas.
I think Civic will be a good buy for your budget.
If your keen in unleashing the power and even your pockets...go for a Octavia RS.I heard RS is going to be in market in LAURA's or are they already in..???
Old 25th May 2007, 13:54   #17
Team-BHP Support

If you want to see what kind of power rush a diesel can give you drive the following. You may buy a Civic in the end, but as far as diesel power is concerned
1. Sonata CRDI (142BHP, 0-100 10 seconds, top speed 205kmph(tested by autocar)
2. Verna CRDI (The fastest car in C segment, barring the VTEC, dispatches a ton in 11 sec) Costs 50% of your budget
3. Laura : Again a very fast diesel. Much faster than a 1.9 TDI and spacious too. The base version falls in your budget
Old 26th May 2007, 00:54   #18
BHPian

O how many times...no verna and no sonata. They look so sad and boring and just plain....simple.

But i think the civic is the one. Just need an opinion on the paddle shift gears....or maybe i'll just test drive it.

And BTW, i have to say a big thanks to all the guys here. Your response was indeed very quick and valuable. When i was recommended here by a friend, I never knew how good this was going to be. But as i explore the forum more and more as and when I can, I am ever so excited. Cheers you guys!!! Have some champagne.....(or maybe just lager if u prefer that :P )

Note from the Support Staff: Please go through this point 12 here -> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announcements/announcement-team-bhp-rules-please-read-before-posting.html
Old 26th May 2007, 09:01   #19

hi

Dont rule out corolla. Only negative point about corolla is its dated looks ( from outside. inside the wood finish and all looks quite elegant). Engine is very peppy, car is very stable, good leg room and head room and no issue of Ground clearance at all with good boot space.

Good points for Civic
- trendy looks ( inside & outside)
- very new design
- sporty looks
- good handling
and overall feel good factor

Negative points
- poor GC ( you need to remember all those truck speed breakers)
- Gear shift not smooth in manual (in all test vehicles i felt this problem of gear getting stuck between 2nd and third)
- boot space
- AC not very effective in Delhi heat
- [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]The car is a little low geared for city driving, which means that it picks up torque at slightly higher rpms[/SIZE][/FONT] unlike corolla which remains fine even in 3rd gear in a 0-15 kmph traffic
Old 26th May 2007, 09:39   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_fox View Post
Toyota Corolla
Skoda Octavia
Honda Civic

The maximum I am looking to spend is 15.
I prefer good interiors
reasonable mileage
good amount of power
good shelf life.
modify the cars factory provided audio system.
Add to the list of car: the Embera. Add to the list of wants and desires : good A.S.S and legroom

good interiors Octavia RS, Embera auto
reasonable mileage Octavia Tdi
good amount of power Octvai RS, Civic, Embera manual
good shelf lifeCivic
modify the cars factory provided audio system Octavia (all models), Embera
A.S.S Embera, Civic, Corolla
Legroom Embera, Civic = Corolla?

now you add your weightage to each of these and test drive the cars.

If you want to drive yourself, dont have anyoen in the back seat etc.. the Octy RS cant beat, the Corola brings up the rear

If you are chauffered most of the time the Embera offers the best reat seat and Octavia the worst.

If A.S.S. is a concern then Hyundai offers the best A.S.S of the 4 and Skoda with worst.

The Civic is the newest entrant of these 4 so should have the longest shelf life.

and lastly if you want to "Shift like Shumi" then the Civic offers a paddle shift.

The Corolla and Civic HUs are teh most cumbersome to change. The Octy is easiest but the Laura is just as cumbersome.

now I am not a engine-vengine type so forgive my errors.
Old 28th May 2007, 00:24   #21
BHPian

hey man... if i had the kind of cash...i wouldnt even think once and go buy a skoda RS...lemon yellow...midnite black...those outta the worls 16" spider alloys with sports rubber, boot big enuf to seat two middle framed pple, best in india performance...class leading mileage for such a rockety performance...take my word the efficiency wont drop less than 9.25 even if you shift gears close to the redline 7k rpm...overdrive confirms it...bulit like a tank... best performance and handling braking package... plus gud family car... ! otherwise if u're so keen on it... go for civic AT with paddle shift... its gr8 to use those paddles !!!
Old 29th May 2007, 12:15   #22
BHPian

refreshing looks

My vote goes first for Civic it has good looks octiva is also a good car..

VFM should be civic.... my personal view...
Old 29th May 2007, 12:25   #23
BHPian

If you are reasonably tall, then I would recommend Civic without a doubt. Else try out Corolla or Laura.
Old 29th May 2007, 12:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

Guys, why can't we suggest him the SX4. I know that his budget is 15L but SX4 isn't that bad vehicle...plus, he's been using the Zen for a long time and is surely aware of the Maruti's A.S.S.. The car has all the creature comforts (almost), looks good, has a decent petrol engine and is the newest of the lot.

Any views on this one?
Old 29th May 2007, 13:49   #25
BHPian

@amtak: It looks like a 7 lac car; not a 15 lac car.

A vote for the Embera CRDI from my side too.
Civic is too common nowadays; almost boring now.
A Black Embera looks very stately and capable.
Old 29th May 2007, 14:10   #26
BHPian

U Deserve A Civic If You Been Driving In Zen Classic For 8 Years I Think Skoda Is A Bit Out Dated Model But If You Can Have Zen Classic Then Even Skoda Is One Cool Looking Car To Upgrade To
Old 29th May 2007, 14:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

For looks and fun to drive factor, this would be my wishlist:

Skoda RS
Honda Civic
Mitsubishi Cedia Sports
Toyota Corolla H2
Old 29th May 2007, 16:55   #28
Senior - BHPian

I think there are quite a few threads existing already on Corolla vs civic vs skoda and about each car separately. You should go through them before making your decision. I suggest you also look at the Sonata and the Cedia

I own a Civic AT and the paddle shifts are pretty neat. (since you looked interested on that)

The AT has 3 modes:

1. The Automatic mode. Excellent for city drives, very less lag, awesome pickup. Floor the pedal and you will redline the revs. Needless to say, if you rev like that your mileage is gonna be bad. Be light of foot and get a good mileage. Depends on your driving style. Its got grade logic which is wonderful in a city with a lots of ups and downs.

2. Sport Mode: You are going to love this if you wanna race someone from the signal. :-) High revs for each gear, goes like mad. Remember its the same tranny option that you choose for the paddle shift, except as long as you don't touch the paddles you can use this mode.

3. Paddle shift (Manual) Mode: Put it in Sport mode and press one of the paddles. There's the display which will show you the gear you are in. You cannot upshift as you like. You have to be above 40 for the 4th and 55 kmph for the 5th. There is a gear lock mechanism which will not change gear from a lower to higher gear even if you redline (unlike most automatics). This is fantastic as you can rev like anything on 1st and 2nd and accelerate to triple digits pretty fast. Caution: you have to get used to the paddle shift, I spent a few days looking down on the display to see which gear I was in. Downshifts happen automatically, i.e. if you drop below 55 the car automatically downshifts you to 4th and 3rd if below 40.

The rest of the details about the Civic have been pretty much exhaustively dealt with in this thread and others.
Old 29th May 2007, 17:15   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
I think there are quite a few threads existing already on Corolla vs civic vs skoda and about each car separately. You should go through them before making your decision. I suggest you also look at the Sonata and the Cedia

I own a Civic AT and the paddle shifts are pretty neat. (since you looked interested on that)

The AT has 3 modes:

1. The Automatic mode. Excellent for city drives, very less lag, awesome pickup. Floor the pedal and you will redline the revs. Needless to say, if you rev like that your mileage is gonna be bad. Be light of foot and get a good mileage. Depends on your driving style. Its got grade logic which is wonderful in a city with a lots of ups and downs.

2. Sport Mode: You are going to love this if you wanna race someone from the signal. :-) High revs for each gear, goes like mad. Remember its the same tranny option that you choose for the paddle shift, except as long as you don't touch the paddles you can use this mode.

3. Paddle shift (Manual) Mode: Put it in Sport mode and press one of the paddles. There's the display which will show you the gear you are in. You cannot upshift as you like. You have to be above 40 for the 4th and 55 kmph for the 5th. There is a gear lock mechanism which will not change gear from a lower to higher gear even if you redline (unlike most automatics). This is fantastic as you can rev like anything on 1st and 2nd and accelerate to triple digits pretty fast. Caution: you have to get used to the paddle shift, I spent a few days looking down on the display to see which gear I was in. Downshifts happen automatically, i.e. if you drop below 55 the car automatically downshifts you to 4th and 3rd if below 40.

The rest of the details about the Civic have been pretty much exhaustively dealt with in this thread and others.
Awesum buddy. Just awesum. Thanks a lot for this. I was waiting for an opinion. Its informative...

Also, I'm sorry for the lingo i used earlier. A bit over the top i agree....will be more careful ....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks