Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2007, 09:23   #1
BHPian

Fiesta TDCi EDIT: Bought Chevy Aveo

Hello all,

I am looking for a car in the range of 7-8L. Did test drive of SX4 and was almost on the verge of booking it. Now I have a second thought - instead of going for hot, in demand SX4 why not choose a good car which is under threat due to competition from new entrants and try to get a good deal out of the dealer. This made me think of diesel - Fiesta 1.4 TDCi (strangely enough a shift from petrol to diesel). The sales of Fiesta I feel, is under threat to some extent due to the new Verna CRDi.

I have few questions here.

1. Is my approach ok to attack the segment which is under threat and get a good deal?
2. Is Fiesta TDCi too old and nearing a face out?
3. To look for a good deal what accessories can I ask for?
I do not like the 6CD changer in Fiesta SXI. Hence I am thinking of a SXI and add a good audio system. The dealer has offered me a Kenwood (do not know which series). What else could I ask for in ZXI? How much max discounts are dealers giving for Fiesta diesel these days?

Average distance covered per month - 1000kms
Car will be mostly used in city
Self driven
I intend to keep the car for 5-6 years

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Nirmal
Old 2nd June 2007, 13:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

You won't get much discounts on the Fiesta TDCi, but on the 1.6 petrol i was getting about Rs.6000 worth of discount. Not much I know. This was in Bombay.

But you might manage some amount on the fiesta but not on the SX4. Fiesta TDCi is a great car for the city commute, might feel out of breath over 120kmph. It will give you great savings in terms of running costs due to the diesel powerplant, it easily manages 12-13kmpl (city) and about 18kmpl (highway).

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 2nd June 2007 at 13:11.
Old 2nd June 2007, 14:47   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

nirmal

Quote:
why not choose a good car which is under threat due to competition from new entrants and try to get a good deal out of the dealer. This made me think of diesel - Fiesta 1.4 TDCi (strangely enough a shift from petrol to diesel).
The Fiesta diesel is a HOT seller! Only recently it sold more than 2000 cars in a single month. I doubt you will be able to use your pressure-strategy with them.
Old 2nd June 2007, 15:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalts View Post
Hello all,

1. Is my approach ok to attack the segment which is under threat and get a good deal?
Nope. Fiesta is hot in the market right now.

Quote:
It was launched recently so it won't be phased out in the near future.

Quote:
Average distance covered per month - 1000kms
Car will be mostly used in city
Self driven
I intend to keep the car for 5-6 years
For 1000 kms per month, you are better off with Petrol. If you took a TD of SX4 and liked it, I would recommend that.
Old 2nd June 2007, 15:51   #5
BHPian

Go for SX4 no point looking for a disel as 1000 kms average should hardly matter here you will not be able to save more than 4-500 rs in disel for that 100 kms you drive and for that leaving a sx4 is not good deal
Old 2nd June 2007, 17:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The sales of Fiesta I feel, is under threat to some extent due to the new Verna CRDi.
Nothing is gonna threat fiesta sales as of now until Verna gets a facelift. Verna is selling but not much as there are hardly any visible on roads and i see 2 - 3 new fiestas daily lol..

You cant pressurize them until Aveo Diesel or SX4 diesel arrives. The main fiesta threat maybe SX4 Diesel because Aveo is still not a car people prefer.

1000 KM practically is ok and less too for diesel at times. People tend to drive more when they have diesel car though. For 1000KM petrol car makes more sense.
Old 2nd June 2007, 23:56   #7
BHPian

Deal?

Keeping in mind your monthy drive that is 1000 kms and your requirement you have got one more choice Aveo.

I recently got Aveo 1.4 LS

You can easily get a good deal on Aveo along with freebies

Since GM has improved its A.S.S and worked upon Aveo gearshift and ac this car has become value for money

You may take a test drive and expand your wish list on preferred car.

I was also keen on fiesta TDCI but when i saw this car and took test drive my mind changed.

but choice differs person to person.
Old 3rd June 2007, 01:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have few questions here.

3. To look for a good deal what accessories can I ask for?
I do not like the 6CD changer in Fiesta SXI. Hence I am thinking of a SXI and add a good audio system. The dealer has offered me a Kenwood (do not know which series). What else could I ask for in ZXI? How much max discounts are dealers giving for Fiesta diesel these days?

1. Yes! Thats the best way to approach the market!

2. It isnt too old, and its definitely not being phased out. Probably will become cheaper soon. In fact all of these cars the Verna, Fiesta, Aveo, SX4 will soon have to replace their ageing counterparts in that priceband. Its only logical - they're all too overpriced for C-segment sedans.

3. I dont know.

Fiesta is nice, but very underpowered. There are people that say that its got 'driveability' etc, but there's not excuse for a car that costs nearly 9 big ones to carry those kind of figures around.

I'd suggest the Verna if you're going for a diesel. Its a proper pocket-rocket.
Old 11th June 2007, 22:17   #9
BHPian

Hello all,

Thanks a lot for your comments. I realised that for 1000kms it is better to go for a petrol car.

I ruled out SX4 and Verna (not because they are bad cars); just because I like "european look" for cars (subjective). I have shortlisted Aveo 1.4 LS and Fiesta 1.4 ZXi now. Took test drive of both. I have few more questions here:

1. The pickup of Aveo was less compared to Fiesta. Does this really affect city drive?
2. In Aveo you can go @ 20-30kms in 5th gear? Is this really useful in city drive?
3. I heard from some Fiesta owners that the low ground clearance is a big problem. You need to drive extremely slow to avoid even the normal humps. Is this true?
4. Which has better FE out of the two? Or is it the same?
5. Is Aveo 1.4 LS comparable to Fiesta 1.4 ZXi in terms of features? Or is it more apt to compare it with Fiesta 1.4 EXi.

Regards,
Nirmal
Old 11th June 2007, 23:54   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks a lot for your comments. I realised that for 1000kms it is better to go for a petrol car.

I ruled out SX4 and Verna (not because they are bad cars); just because I like "european look" for cars (subjective). I have shortlisted Aveo 1.4 LS and Fiesta 1.4 ZXi now. Took test drive of both. I have few more questions here:

1. The pickup of Aveo was less compared to Fiesta. Does this really affect city drive?
2. In Aveo you can go @ 20-30kms in 5th gear? Is this really useful in city drive?
3. I heard from some Fiesta owners that the low ground clearance is a big problem. You need to drive extremely slow to avoid even the normal humps. Is this true?
4. Which has better FE out of the two? Or is it the same?
5. Is Aveo 1.4 LS comparable to Fiesta 1.4 ZXi in terms of features? Or is it more apt to compare it with Fiesta 1.4 EXi.

Regards,
Nirmal
Nirmal,

Read my review on Aveo it should give u details.

Aveo 1.4 Ls is a VFM car has great ground clearance. FE wise both are same. Aveo is a city car thats a rich feature which Aveo owns over fiesta.

Indeed both are good car no doubt. Fiesta has its own plus points too.
Old 12th June 2007, 00:51   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

@kamy,
what do you mean by the statement that the Aveo is a city car?

@nirmal,
We own a Fiesta TDCi and haven't faced any issues with the ground clearance.
I cannot answer the performance related question as ours is a diesel.
However, i have posted a long term review of our fiesta which you can read. Link is in my gallery.
Cheers!
Old 12th June 2007, 10:08   #12
BHPian

hi nirmal own a fiesta 1.6sxi no issues with ground clearance,by the way if you can increase your budget go for the 1.6 you will enjoy driving it
Old 12th June 2007, 11:07   #13
Team-BHP Support

fiesta diesel might not fetch much discount at this point of time in bangalore, a music system and some other cheap free bee's thats all.
Old 14th June 2007, 22:10   #14
BHPian

Hello,

Thank you all for your comments again.

I have now nailed down the options to Fiesta 1.4 ZXi or Aveo 1.4 LS. I compared the +ves and -ves of both cars and found that the differences between the cars are very less. I have to now make a choice based on my driving comfort and offer from dealer.

Took the test drive of both cars twice. I found Fiesta a better car for city drive (which I will be doing most of the time). The factors that caused me discomfort while driving Aveo are
1. Low pickup
2. Reflection of dash on windshield (this I guess I could get used to after a while)
3. Not so smooth gearshift (also might improve after ~ 200kms as I read)

Here are the offers from dealers

Aveo 1.4 LS:
On road price (Blr) : 7.4L
Dealer discount: 40,000 + Sunfilm + Basic accessories

Fiesta 1.4 ZXi:
On road price (Blr) : 7.4L
Dealer discount: 15,000 worth accessories + 9.9% interest rate (for 3 years) + Basic accessories

I plan to keep the car for atleast 5 years. Would it be good if I compromise the negatives I mentioned about Aveo and take the good dealer discount?

Please help me take a decision

Regards,
Nirmal
Old 14th June 2007, 23:17   #15
BHPian

Hello,

Sorry. Forgot to mention that Fiesta 1.4 ZXi above is the petrol version

Nirmal
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks