Honda City 263 39.14%
Maruti Ciaz 13 1.93%
Hyundai Verna 27 4.02%
Other (please specify in your post) 11 1.64%
Voters: 672. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2022, 12:52   #31
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Virtus vs Skoda Slavia vs Honda City vs Maruti Ciaz vs Hyundai Verna

I have been using Jazz AT for my daily drive, my vote goes to Honda City as for city drive I prefer reliability and ease of driving over spirited driving and unreliable cars. But on the highways, it's a different ball game all together and I will choose safety, hence my Safari will take that slot.
Old 27th June 2022, 13:47   #32
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Virtus vs Skoda Slavia vs Honda City vs Maruti Ciaz vs Hyundai Verna

Value for money is most important for me !!

I once paid 36K for a hugely discounted coffee machine (ownership review sometime later), just because it appeared more VFM. My initial budget was max 25K and a very decent model was available for 26K.
Coming back to this poll, all my priorities of build quality, understated looks, peppy engine etc are best addressed by the VIRTUS.
However, my vote goes to CITY.

The VIRTUS seems less value because the usual trademarks of a VW are now lacking a bit in VW 2.0. The premium commanded is just too much. Had VW sticked to the usual VW standards of sturdiness, fit/finish, my vote would have been VIRTUS (even if they had priced a lakh more than current prices).
Old 27th June 2022, 13:49   #33
BHPian

Voted others, but actually i would not consider any sedan. All these cars have few strong points but as a package falls short, its still difficult to find a worthy replacement for Fiesta 1.6 which I previously owned.
Old 27th June 2022, 14:00   #34
BHPian

First of all, I feel the 1.5 L Slavia/Virtus and City Hybrid are a separate segment altogether and shouldn't be considered along with the 1L/1.5 iV-TEC.

Among the 1L Slavia/Virtus and 1.5 NA City, I would still pick the City as it is a superior package over the German siblings. The 1.5 NA provides a much more mature driving experience and with the number of reliability issues the WAG 2.0 cars have exhibited I wouldn't buy these cars at least for the next couple of years. Also, they have pretty poorly specced lower variants.

I would love to own the 1.5 TSI + DSG combo in Virtus but don't want to live with the constant fear of breakdowns.
AutoConsultant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 14:51   #35
Senior - BHPian

I voted for the Slavia 1.5, albeit in Manual transmission-just for a personal novelty factor.
1) Honda City for space, ride, handling ? Been there, done that.
2) Boringly reliable 1.5 NA with CVT- been there done that.
3) VW DSG transmission especially DQ200 ?-been there, done that (with the 1.2 TSI).
4) Honda City Hybrid? Doesnt sound exciting with a 300 litre boot space and marginal fuel improvement vis-a-vis purchase price.
5) Ciaz has a relatively weak motor and Verna is too cramped.
For once I would like to row through the gears on a good winding road or a highway instead of being just being semi-active "pilot monitoring" as I seem to do in my automatic car these days.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 27th June 2022 at 14:55.
fhdowntheline is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 15:04   #36
pms
BHPian

I voted for the City. I drive a 2012 manual and absolutely in love with it still. Amount of space, trouble free & lovely i-vtec engine mated to a well tuned transmission, good after sales service which is light on pocket till date and last but not the least the arrow design which still looks contemporary & classy. City is more of a complete package.
Old 27th June 2022, 15:08   #37
BHPian

Voted for Slavia. For some reason, i find Slavia more appealing than the Virtus.

1) Virtus - looks great, has identical engines as Slavia but no MT on 1.5 is a let down.
2) City - a "you can never go wrong with me" car, that said is pretty dull for driving. The hybrid model has also cut down on the boot space which took away a few points.
3) Ciaz - drove this when i had rented a self drive last year. Great for chauffuer driven but horrible for self drive. On a lighter note, an autorickshaw accelerates quicker than this car.
4) Verna - good motor but the rear is as cramped as my Polo GT (for my driving position).
sameer_vwagner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 15:58   #38
Senior - BHPian

The Virtus for me any day

Till about couple of months ago, had been driving the 1.5 liter DSG Vento. Clocked close to 90,000 kms, albeit in the diesel avatar.
Became a big fan of the understated styling + overall ergonomics + the wonderful DSG.

The Virtus, for me, not only embodies all the above salient features but goes beyond. Has 50% more power to punch around, has the classic evolved styling (GT) and a plethora of goodies plonked inside it. And I presume, VW would have made the DSG more robust by now.
So, there you have it.

The only downer is the lack of a diesel mile muncher option, though.
JoshMachine is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 16:40   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda City 1.5 iVTEC (non hybrid)

Overall best sedan considering space, performance, fuel efficiency, comfort, reliability, street cred and price. Rear suspension is bouncy, but otherwise it ticks most boxes. Hybrid to simply too overpriced to make a case for itself.

The VW Skoda twins have been plagued with teething issues. Risk averse enthusiasts can pick the 1.5 DSG, but I cannot recommend these India specific cars to anyone in good faith for at least another 3 years. There are long term reliability and longevity concerns here, quite like the Gen4 City. And the asking price is also high.

Ciaz and Verna are old and basically irrelevant nowadays. The upcoming Toyota Hyryder with its strong hybrid powertrain can shake up this part of the market if priced well.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 27th June 2022 at 16:46.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 16:44   #40
Senior - BHPian

Here's what I actually want:

1) The exterior looks and design of the Virtus
2) The 1.5 DSG TSI with the reliability of the City CVT
3) The interior design, space and quality of the Honda City
4) Price of the Ciaz
5) Ride and handling of the Virtus/Slavia
6) Sounds quality of the Slavia
7) Maruti ASS like experience
8) Mileage of the Hybrid City
9) Slavia/ Virtus GC

I guess there is no one single package that can give it all.

I'll compromise with the Virtus if I have to.

The City would've been my default choice but the high speed behaviour is a complete let down.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 16:54   #41
BHPian

We have an old Honda City and compared to the Punto it’s better for commutes in town. But the moment you’re on hill roads (which are aplenty here) the Punto corners much better and can explore unpaved roads as well. So no contest really.

Same advantages apply to the Virtus vs new Honda City comparison. Better cornering, raised suspension. Plus you have the VW badge, which just exudes class. I’d get a Honda City for a chauffeur driven car though.
Vikram9193 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 17:09   #42
BHPian

Voted for Virtus
Both Slavia and Virtus get the credit for bringing customers back to sedan segment. Honda city is nearly perfect in almost every aspect, but I find the Infotainment system and instrument cluster too spartan. I mean, the freshness is missing in City. This is where Virtus gets full marks even when compared with Slavia. Another area where Virtus/Slavia beats City is the ground clearance.

I hope the air conditioning issue in Virtus/Slavia gets fixed soon.
pradeep_mvpa is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 17:24   #43
BHPian

Voted for Honda City.

Most of us have to make do with a one car garage and the car has to fit in multiple roles. That demands a reliable workhorse which the Honda is even if it may not match the ride and handling of VAG/Skoda.

Last edited by ToThePoint : 27th June 2022 at 17:24. Reason: Typo
ToThePoint is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 17:58   #44
BHPian

Can't vote but since I've recently test-driven 1/1.5L Slavia and City (all MT), 1.5 VW/Skoda are in a different league all together, If one's looking for a complete package City is still the undisputed winner.
For me, Reliability and fuss-free ownership would take priority as both my cars need to be driven daily.

But yes, If you have a 2+ car garage and need a car for occasional joyrides 1.5L Slavia (MT) will take the cake. (DSG is an absolute no from me, as I like to keep cars longer)
ashish_sax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 18:31   #45
BHPian

Honda City is a well-rounded family sedan but it just didn't tick my heart; I didn't find it fun-to-drive & its high-speed manners are not stored.
It's tough for me to decide between Virtus & Slavia. Both are the same cars underneath. I like the styling of the GT variant of Virtus & its differentiation from 1L but I like the interior/exterior design of Slavia more (wish they had only Monte Carlo for 1.5). In driving experience; I have driven both on highways; the Slavia feels more agile, nimble & fun-to-drive. I voted Slavia.
amit1agrawal is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks