Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2022, 20:24   #1
BHPian

Advice on buying a used Chevrolet Cruze

Hi team, consider this as urgent.

I found a 2017 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ MT for sale via my trusted mech. Our Beat has been maintained by this guy since the past 6 years. My mech told me about this car a week ago, and the asking price as per him was 7 lacs.

Today I finally found time to go and check the car. Car has done 47k kms and was in mechanically in good condition. It had a suspension replacement worth 1 lac done recently as per my mech and owner. It came to my mech for a driveshaft repair, and that was when the owner decided to sell it off.

Me and my friend drove the car for a good 7-8kms, and absolutely loved the engine. Clutch was a little hard but I guess that is how it is on these big diesel cars. Brakes were weak, my Beat has better brakes. Car has minor dings here and there. Windshield is cracked. Right front fender also appears to be repainted.

Now after the test drive, I spoke to the owner on my mech's phone. He quoted 7.2, and I was clueless for a couple of seconds. Later my mech told me his original price was 7.5 lacs. I quoted 6, stopped at 6.1 and told him we will meet in person on Sunday, so that my dad can also have a look. Honestly speaking, I didn't like the way the owner spoke to me on the phone. But I loved the car, hence told him we'll speak in person on Sunday. I have pictures of the car, but do not want to post them as I don't want to mess with the owner's privacy.

Regarding maintenance, I have confidence on my mechanic. He specializes in Chevy's and I have complete trust in him, hence the decision of a preowned Cruze.

Please provide assistance on this. Also do let me know if someone has a good condition 2016+ TS registered Cruze for sale. I found one good example from Meghalaya(car is listed on TBHP classifieds, incase anyone is interested) but backed out due to the ridiculous RTO charges.
saikishor is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 20:49   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Advice on buying a used Chevrolet Cruze

Suspension work and drive shaft replacment on a car that has run 'Only' 47K kms? Please walk away , you really need to introspect how much you want to trust that mechanic.
Kosfactor is offline   (65) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 21:03   #3
BHPian

Apologies in advance for for my pessimism.

Avoid like the plague. Here's why:

1. It is a sellers market out there and every car is marked up considerably. 6-7L for a car whose maker left the country several years ago is asking a bit too much.

2. When you have had enough of it and plan on selling it, a seller's market is not guaranteed. You may have to just give the car away.

3. It is a diesel engined car. It will be nowhere near as easy to maintain as your beat.

4. A friend owning an ex GMTCI maintained Captiva (which he bought at just 3 years old) is facing colossal headaches with the 2.0L TCDI engine and mechanics are advising him to live with it because they are too scared to open the engine and fix the issues.

5. Big Chevys sold in our market, unless maintained immaculately, don't hold up as well as German/Japanese engineered cars (body panels, plastic bits, interiors, rattles etc..)

6. Again, once problems start emerging, it will be a money pit. That 2.0L Diesel thrust which is likely what has you convinced, wont feel like it was worth it.

Last edited by ashivas89 : 15th November 2022 at 21:29.
ashivas89 is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 21:30   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Suspension work and drive shaft replacment on a car that has run 'Only' 47K kms? Please walk away , you really need to introspect how much you want to trust that mechanic.
He's a trusted guy, but these two things were something that even I found to be a bit out of place. We changed our Beat's suspension twice (30k kms and 60k kms IIRC) only because of horrible roads in our area. But still, we never encountered a driveshaft repair. The engine made me sideline these two red flags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashivas89 View Post
Apologies in advance for for my pessimism.

Avoid like the plague. Here's why:
Ok, lets say I still want to get the car even after reading all of your aforementioned points, and I'm ready to deal with the headaches associated if anything goes wrong. What will be the fair price for this car? I was thinking 6lacs would be a fair price for both parties.
saikishor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 21:46   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
Ok, lets say I still want to get the car even after reading all of your aforementioned points, and I'm ready to deal with the headaches associated if anything goes wrong. What will be the fair price for this car? I was thinking 6lacs would be a fair price for both parties.
Well in that case, it doesn't matter, does it? Because you are willing to look beyond all the deal breakers that detract from the value of the car to begin with

Here is how I would do the math: If I have to give the car away for free after a few years, what kind of money am I willing to sink into it now?

Because to me, this is a quasi project car.
ashivas89 is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 21:56   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashivas89 View Post
Well in that case, it doesn't matter, does it? Because you are willing to look beyond all the deal breakers that detract from the value of the car to begin with

Here is how I would do the math: If I have to give the car away for free after a few years, what kind of money am I willing to sink into it now?

Because to me, this is a quasi project car.

Reason I asked, I don't want to spend a lot more than the market value of the car. This car, if I get it by any chance, will stay with me for a long time. I will get it scrapped once it reaches the end of its lifecycle or starts to give a lot of headaches.
Old 15th November 2022, 22:30   #7
BHPian

You mentioned that the owner is trying to sell it because of the driveshaft repair. That itself is a reason to suspect something amiss. The Cruze was an expensive car and unless the current owner is buying something better, why would he sell it over a fixable issue and take the huge depreciation hit? He’s fed up probably.

Also, you mentioned that there are issues with the clutch, brake, and windshield. You also mentioned that you did not like the owners communication.

With so many red flags, the decision is yours. Not trying to discourage you, but your mechanic would always prefer that you buy this car because it can become a consistent revenue source for him .

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 15th November 2022 at 22:32.
Nissan1180 is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 22:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
You mentioned that the owner is trying to sell it because of the driveshaft repair. That itself is a reason to suspect something amiss. The Cruze was an expensive car and unless the current owner is buying something better, why would he sell it over a fixable issue and take the huge depreciation hit? He’s fed up probably.
As far as I know, it seems the owner is migrating to the USA, hence the sale.

I am planning to meet the owner on the coming weekend, will take a final call then.
saikishor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 22:49   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
With so many red flags, the decision is yours. Not trying to discourage you, but your mechanic would always prefer that you buy this car because it can become a consistent revenue source for him.
Spot on! This perfectly covers my opinion. Even I do feel the same that, so many red flags are not worth the fun you may have with the car. I am really sorry to disappoint you here. And I totally understand the craze behind this one hoot an engine (me too a die-hard Chevy Cruze fan crying inside!). Please stay away from this deal.

Eager to know the progress of your deal. Take care!
PetroHeado is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 03:44   #10
BHPian

Do not buy this car. A not so maintained Cruze is a money pit and the maintenance is really expensive. I have not seen Cruze selling for more than 3-4 lacs in Delhi even when Chevy was in the market. Still if you want to buy it I would say it’s worth would not be more than 4 lacs. Just checked the marketplace and there are dealers out there asking crazy prices for 2017-18 Cruze.

Last edited by nik0502 : 16th November 2022 at 03:48.
nik0502 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 04:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

The only thing going for this car is that it is a 2017 model (last year that the car was available?) and has done only 47k kms. From there on everything goes downhill. If the car is immaculately maintained, why is the owner selling it like this? I understand you said he's moving abroad, why not sell it to a relative of his? I suspect it has something to do with the premature drive shaft repair work. Also suspension replacement is quite suspicious as well these are usually things that get attended to after atleast 1 lac kms. Not to mention the windshield is cracked and there are dings all over the car? Please stay far away from this car. I understand that you are into Chevy products having owned a Beat, but firstly ask yourself do you need a diesel sedan? Is your running really that much that you want to buy yourself a diesel sedan? Or would something like an Accord work out as well? If you absolutely must have the Cruze then please wait for a better car and a better deal to come by. I would not even bother paying 3 lacs for this car the way you have described it let alone part with 6 believing it to be fair
IshaanIan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 05:34   #12
BHPian

From what I thought would be a perfect car for the next 5 years to losing interest now, thanks for the suggestions team.

No I didn't say the above statement in a harsh way, I am really thankful to the suggestions received. I was aware of the expensive maintenance of the Cruze and was ready to take it despite the early suspension work and driveshaft repair. But now, I guess I am better off walking away from this deal.

This deal is off from my side atleast for now. I doubt if I will be meeting the owner on sunday. I also doubt if he will show up.
saikishor is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 09:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

If you really want a Cruze, keep searching! I doubt it'll be a seller's market in the next 6 months with the recessionary mood around.By that time of you find a good example, you might get a better deal.

I know a relative who had a Cruze earlier. As per him, the engine is brilliant but the rest of the car is a pain in the neck with quality of parts extremely poor while spares cost a bomb - his actual maintenance cost ran into 80k-100k per annum just for parts.

If you really want a project car and are willing to throw money, you'd be better off with a second hand Merc/ BMW/ Audi which will cost a bit more but will make you a lot more happier for every rupee spent.
Turbohead is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 09:45   #14
BHPian

My 2 paisas after owning 2 GM cars in the past - Opel Corsa and Cruze LT. Though the cars built real good (esp the Corsa), maintenance after the model is discontinued (or company seized to exist) is expensive and genuine part availability is time consuming. Not to mention the service centers are limited, and decreasing.
I sold my immaculately maintained 2013 Cruze with 60k kms, back in 2020 (not a seller's market then), for 4.75 lacs. So, in my opinion, a good decision to stay away from it.
kiran_aithal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 13:27   #15
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Re: Advice on buying a used Chevrolet Cruze

Please avoid this car and have a look at the 2013-14 Jettas and similar vintage Octavias(MK III). The mid variant manual diesels of these cars shall be 'almost' within your budget. The 1.6 CRDi Elantra is not too bad as well, especially with a stage 1 remap(165 Bhp/320NM).

Last edited by AYP : 16th November 2022 at 13:28.
AYP is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks