Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2007, 11:54   #31
BHPian

Shuvd,
Since you mentioned the Vitara, how about looking at the Hyundai Tucson? That is a good soft roader. I dont know about the resale value though. How's Hyundai *** in the city?

OT - Are ShuvC and you related?
Old 11th July 2007, 12:04   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superavi View Post
This is probably the third time this question is been asked in tbhp...the answer is NO !!!!

Abhi
Old 11th July 2007, 12:07   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superavi View Post
Shuvd,
Since you mentioned the Vitara, how about looking at the Hyundai Tucson? That is a good soft roader. I dont know about the resale value though. How's Hyundai *** in the city?

Hyundai A.S.S is good here in Calcutta. But, the Tuc sells for 16.95 OTR. No discounts.
We are not related. But we do get that a lot.
Old 12th July 2007, 11:32   #34
Senior - BHPian

Took TD of SX4 ZXI yesterday with shuvc.
My impression - Its a practical buy alright. Good price, good A.S.S. and nice equipment list.
Looks quite odd and has huge blind spots due to the phat A pillar. Though the seating position is nice and upright, space isn't too great. Huge boot.
Decent road manners and controllable roll over ruts(considering the huge GC and high CG). The TD route was straight and devoid of twisties and hence no idea about cornering at speeds. The engine felt a bit harsh and not too eager to rev. But, it did have only 3000 odd kms on the clock. Not very fun to drive though.

Also went to the GM dealership for both the Magnum and 1.8 TD. They didn't have any cars available with them for TD. Will try again tomorrow.

The Maruti sales guy said that the manual Grand Vitara Rs. 1493594 OTR.
Old 12th July 2007, 13:30   #35
BHPian

I would suggest Civic keeping in mind the overall requirements of yours like back seat comfort, responsive engine, resale value etc. Make sure you are not getting your car serviced from Windsor Honda and my boss owns a civic and he is furious about their service. Other wise honda is a perfect blend of all your requirements.
Old 12th July 2007, 20:44   #36
Senior - BHPian

So its down to the SX4 and the Magnum is it? Will be driving my friend's SX4 tonite... so will know how it drives.
But I can tell you abt GM a.s.s - its not bad. My uncle owns an Optra, and he hasn't been dissatisfied with the service (and he is a tough man to please!!).
Would like to TD the Magnum definitely... will hook up with u and Shuvc.
Old 12th July 2007, 21:59   #37
BHPian

why not corolla?

Hi Shuvd, why not the Toyaota Corolla? Just because next year there might be a new version of corolla? It's not a good enough reason for me. Toyotas make some of the most reliable, practical etc etc cars of the world. They may not be flashy-looking and in India the fan-following is not as much as Honda's. But ask 10 middle-aged Japanese and see which car they would suggest. Most will recommend Honda, and some Nissan, not many Honda. My PhD advisor was Japanese and I know many Japanese people in relation to work. I have also once owned a Toyota Celica. The car started everyday in -20 degrees Fahrenheit. I have also driven the Corolla and the Camry many times whenever out of station on rental basis. These are some of the best cars built in this price range no matter what way you look.
Honda Civic is clearly out because of its very low ground clearance.
Kolkata has one Ford, one Chevrolet, one Honda and one Toyota dealer. Does that mean that one has to buy only Maruti or Hyundai? Although I do not know about the Toyota dealer in Kolkata, Toyota's general service package is very good.
If I had 15 L to spend on a car, I would have certainly considered it.

Last edited by aah78 : 13th July 2007 at 01:51. Reason: typo edited. please use Report Post to refer to such errors. thanks!
Old 13th July 2007, 01:08   #38
Senior - BHPian

Actually, Topsel Toyota (the dealer in cal) has a pretty decent reputation. Haven't really heard anyone cribbing about bad A.S.S from them.
Guess it makes sense to add the Corolla to your list. It's quick, has good backseat comfort and resale value isn't that bad.

Btw, I drove the SX4 tonite, but wasn't really that inspiring. Didn't really feel like a 100+ Bhp car. Having said that, it was very smooth and soaked up the bumps well. Dunno about the backseat though.
Old 13th July 2007, 01:19   #39
Senior - BHPian

I am sure a Diesel Chevrolet is going to have a good resale. Magnum Opus!
Old 13th July 2007, 12:20   #40
Senior - BHPian

@ tathagata - I find the Civic okay sort of.. but a bit overpriced IMO. Father likes it though. He'll be taking a TD today or tomorrow.
@ razor - The SX4 didn't appeal as a driver's car. Otherwise its a very practical buy. BTW, went to the GM dealer twice with shuvc. But, never got a TD.
asitkde - Am seriously considering the Corolla now. Have asked for a TD. Lets see.
@ 1100D - The diesel "Chevy" sounds promising. But, the build quality is nothing great. Feels very tinny, even in comparison to the SX4.

So, a few more additions to the list.
Toyota Corolla
Toyota Innova (mother likes that..that thing)
Skoda lolla Elegance (14.60 OTR + Peter bhai ka dubba)
Old 13th July 2007, 13:50   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
@ tathagata - I find the Civic okay sort of.. but a bit overpriced IMO. Father likes it though. He'll be taking a TD today or tomorrow.
@ razor - The SX4 didn't appeal as a driver's car. Otherwise its a very practical buy. BTW, went to the GM dealer twice with shuvc. But, never got a TD.
asitkde - Am seriously considering the Corolla now. Have asked for a TD. Lets see.
@ 1100D - The diesel "Chevy" sounds promising. But, the build quality is nothing great. Feels very tinny, even in comparison to the SX4.

So, a few more additions to the list.
Toyota Corolla
Toyota Innova (mother likes that..that thing)
Skoda lolla Elegance (14.60 OTR + Peter bhai ka dubba)
- Aha - finally your dad is entering the TD fray. Looks like he'll buy the Civic against all your logic.
- Yep, the Magnum boot lid seemed pretty Maruti-ish ... now I'll get flamed.
- Corolla TD when ??
- GM called .. any chance of magnum TD later today evening ? 4ish ? I'm not sure yet, but will be able to decide after 3. If not, then maybe tomorrow afternoon.

Last edited by shuvc : 13th July 2007 at 13:54.
Old 13th July 2007, 14:12   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitkde View Post
Kolkata has one Ford, one Chevrolet, one Honda and one Toyota dealer.
One Ford, two Chevy, One Honda (second one is coming up, as per their site), One toyota.

Just my support for the Magnum.

Old 13th July 2007, 14:44   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post
One Ford, two Chevy, One Honda (second one is coming up, as per their site), One toyota.
Second Honda - Imperial Honda showroom is operational at Exide crossing.

Topsel toyota is building a new facility at E.M. Bypass Ruby crossing - beside Dulichand (GM)
Old 13th July 2007, 14:49   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitkde View Post
Hi Shuvd, why not the Toyaota Corolla? Just because next year there might be a new version of corolla? It's not a good enough reason for me. Toyotas make some of the most reliable, practical etc etc cars of the world. They may not be flashy-looking and in India the fan-following is not as much as Honda's. But ask 10 middle-aged Japanese and see which car they would suggest. Most will recommend Honda, and some Nissan, not many Honda. My PhD advisor was Japanese and I know many Japanese people in relation to work. I have also once owned a Toyota Celica. The car started everyday in -20 degrees Fahrenheit. I have also driven the Corolla and the Camry many times whenever out of station on rental basis. These are some of the best cars built in this price range no matter what way you look.
Honda Civic is clearly out because of its very low ground clearance.
Kolkata has one Ford, one Chevrolet, one Honda and one Toyota dealer. Does that mean that one has to buy only Maruti or Hyundai? Although I do not know about the Toyota dealer in Kolkata, Toyota's general service package is very good.
If I had 15 L to spend on a car, I would have certainly considered it.
Exactly my thoughts which is why I had suggested the Corolla to him right at the begining of the thread. Even with a new model of the Corolla in 2008, I am sure the car will not lose its resale value by much. The backseat comfort is exemplary and the engine....whoa boy, thats a beauty.
Toyota takes great pains to maintain excellent service standards and it doesn't matter whether the number of service centres is one or two in a city. The service should be great even in the one centre that Toyota has.
Please get the H2 model in manual at the very least which comes with most of the good features like 6 CD changer (with cassette player), lumbar support for driver's seat, automatic climate control, nice wood finish centre panel etc. The manual Corolla also returns an excellent mileage of around 11.5 kmpl if driven well too.
Old 13th July 2007, 16:16   #45
Senior - BHPian

Toyota is also offering a discount on their cars (i think it is 65K)....Just ask the dealer at Kolkata...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks