Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2023, 16:05   #1
BHPian

13-lakh Conundrum | Have I gotten old and cynical? | Best car to replace an 8th-gen Civic

...or has the world gone crazy (in terms of used and new car prices) ?

Started with an ideal budget of 7-8L, moved to 10L and now reluctantly open to bust open the piggy bank up till 12-13L.

Looking for a (preferably pre-owned) Sedan to replace our beloved 8th Gen Civic as I'm having to move to NCR where petrol cars face the axe at 15 years. This would be our second steed at home complementing our trusty 2012 Outlander.

Must haves:

- Petrol AT (not AMT)
- Utilization - 15-20 Km per day in NCR with occasional highway jaunts
- 4 or 5 star NCAP safety rating
- Comfortable for tall folks with above average build. I'm 6'2"
- Should at least have above average driving dynamics
- Telescopic steering
- Reasonably good reliability and generally hassle free ownership

In my 2 month journey so far I've considered/driven the following cars (Mandatory disclaimer: just my subjective views - no offense to anyone):

- Ecosport: Was sure this would fit the bill despite being a CSUV but after driving 2 different cars (both under 3 years old) this is a no go. Primarily due to 1) Cramped rear 2) Weird behavior of the TC at low speeds to accelerate without input 3) Awful low speed ride quality. Eliminated.

- Facelifted '23 5th Gen City: I thought this would give me a sense of what a well kept 5th Gen can offer. For the price, I was disappointed. While I haven't completely ruled it out, the City feels like a significant downgrade to the Civic. Grudgingly kept on the "maybe" list.

- VW Virtus 1.0 TSI: I know this is a forum favorite but coming from a Civic the car was a shocker to me. Cheap feeling interiors, rattles from every part of a TD car run 5k, major turbo lag, average HVAC performance, poor rear seat comfort, and lack of basic features like seatbelt height adjustment, rear disc brakes etc were a big let down. I also drove the Taigun 1.0 and 1.5 TSI and while they felt slightly better put together I really am not keen on a CSUV. Eliminated.

- 2019 Honda Civic ZX: The only one to put a smile on my face so far! Of course there's tons of bias considering I own the 8th Gen and I understand its shortcomings with the CVT this is still a strong but last contender considering it's still atleast 3-4L over an already over stretched budget. Shortlisted.

- Octavia DSG: I've purposely stayed away from this one as I'd hate to enjoy it far too much to overlook the potential ASS scares (my work simply doesn't provide me the time to enjoy this hobby as much anymore). Eliminated

- Elantra AT: Yet to try. Have read through the the long term ownership threads and it seems a possibility.

- Altis CVT: We've had one in the family for many years and while it ticks most of my boxes, I dislike it's lack of driving dynamics and dated looking dash. Grudgingly kept on the "maybe" list.

- Camry AT: Again well beyond budget. We have one in the family and I really admire this car. But not really a driver's car and getting one >8 years old means potential maintenance woes. Eliminated

Wild card entry: Nexon EV. It'd been hard to get a TD of one but the asking price of sparingly used Nexons is just at the horizon of our budget. However Tata's ASS and stories of QC issues with this don't inspire confidence. Goes on the "maybe" list.

Hats off if you're still reading this advice needed/rant post!

I've also gone back and forth with considering a CSUV but nothing out there appeals. The Korean twins with their safety ratings and poor driving dynamics are out. The Taigun came close but still didn't feel too car like and then VW ASS woes plus that clattering 3 cylinder on the 1.0 TSI are a turn off. I'm not big on the other Maruti/Mahindra offerings as personal experience with their safety, refinement and build quality has been lack luster.

So, to conclude: Have I been living under a rock or has the quality vs price ratio of cars taken a massive hit in the last few years? Is this possibly the worst time in the modern era to buy a car? Do I just manage with Ola etc for the next 12-18 months hoping things will improve?

I'm dazed, confused and bruised. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2023 at 12:04. Reason: No SMS language on Team-BHP please (e.g. thru)
Memphis is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 09:42   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 13-lakh Conundrum | Have I gotten old and cynical? | Best car to replace an 8th-gen Civic

The trouble is, the 8th-gen Civic was a 13-15 lakh car. After all these years & the obvious inflation, you are looking to replace it within the same budget. Simply put, in today's terms, you are trying to replace a 25-lakh car with a 13-lakh one, whether used or new. Luckily, you are moving to the Delhi-NCR region where the used car market is the best in terms of prices & wide choices.

There will hence always be compromises. My suggestions:

- 5th-gen City, new or used. You keep your cars for long and this will serve you well. The ultimate all-rounder.

- Wait for next-gen Verna whose design is funky & launch just around the corner.

- 10th-gen Honda Civic, pre-owned.

- Corolla Altis AT, pre-owned.

- Virtus / Slavia, new or used. They are amazing sedans, but will come with the usual VW / Skoda headaches.

- If you are open to crossovers, then a pre-owned Creta / Seltos Petrol AT would be just perfect for you.
GTO is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 10:24   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 13-lakh Conundrum | Have I gotten old and cynical? | Best car to replace an 8th-gen Civic

I can understand where you are coming from. For all the action that has taken place in the Indian automotive sector, the local manufacturing has not managed to offer cars like Civic. While areas like drivetrains, safety and convenience features have seen huge improvements, the cars still feel cheap and built-to-cost. Someone who has owned Civic for so many years can clearly see through the clever packaging and dressing up employed in locally manufactured cars. Even companies like VW/Skoda had to learn to follow "when in Rome, do as the Romans do". This is not a reflection of our manufacturing capabilities but more of consumer preferences that dictate the product portfolio.

If I am unwilling to compromise on build quality, I would buy a pre-owned car that has no local content. Camry Hybrid would be my first choice - it's a real VFM in the pre-owned market which is unusual for a Toyota. Civic, Tucson, Elantra, etc. would be other choices. VW/Skoda, while tempting, would not be easy on the pocket.
androdev is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 10:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hope you realize the Civic sold for ~25L(ZX CVT) 2-3 years ago when it was discontinued? If you’re going to compare with your 8th gen Civic, you need to start with 25 budget atleast for new. You have to account for the demon named Inflation.

Can’t expect a 13-18L car match the finesse of your existing car. So only options for you in budget would be used cars like 2019/20 Civic ZX CVT or Octavia and likes.

Last edited by SoumenD : 15th March 2023 at 10:44.
SoumenD is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 17:17   #5
BHPian

Faced the same problem upgrading from last gen Civic.

Ended up with the new gen City.

Is it a good car? Yes. Does it make me feel any loyalty? No.

As GTO said, the City was a 25 lakh car (considering inflation) even though I paid only 13 for it. But I am ten years older, and more cautious with spending, and so spending 25L on a new car sounds impossible. Its easier to take such decisions of the heart when you are younger!
lawdgawd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 18:47   #6
BHPian

Thanks folks all for the kind and thoughtful suggestions. I forgot to mention my 8th Gen Civic was also bought pre owned in a fantastic condition from an individual seller which was just unparalleled value for money. Add inflation to the mix and new car prices just don't sit well with me.

I think I have my shortlist for now and the hunt will continue once I reach NCR in a few days. I guess it'll be a balance of what compromises I'm willing to make, lots of scouting and hopefully lady luck

On a side note, can anyone comment on why individual listings from nearly every single source (except tbhp classifieds) have all but disappeared? When I was last in the game about 5+ years ago at least 15% listings on Olx, Carwale etc were direct owners and their ads were quiet easy to identify. What gives?
Memphis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 17:12   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
Thanks folks all for the kind and thoughtful suggestions. I forgot to mention my 8th Gen Civic was also bought pre owned in a fantastic condition from an individual seller which was just unparalleled value for money. Add inflation to the mix and new car prices just don't sit well with me.

On a side note, can anyone comment on why individual listings from nearly every single source (except tbhp classifieds) have all but disappeared?
Hi Memphis,

I have been in the same situation for a long time now. I drive a 2010 VAT. The car has served me well and has also spoiled me to a great extent. I tried looking for a replacement multiple times but either couldn’t get what I was looking for in a car or the price didn’t make sense.

The only car that I feel is worth upgrading is Octavia. I love the car for it’s design as well as for the engine. However it has become too pricey over the years. If it was still retailing around 25-27 I would probably would have considered it most likely a pre owned example driven less than three years. And you are absolutely right about the reliability factor. Skoda Laura was my favourite car back in the day and I ended up getting a Civic just because of reliability factor. I was upgrading from a Ford Fiesta.

I too bought an Ecosport because it seemed like a right car when compared to Civic. It had everything right at least on paper. Almost similar power figures, 6 Speed TC, Paddle Shifters and what not but to be honest I am not very happy with the car primarily because of the seats. Civic’s seats are very comfortable on the other hand Ecosport starts giving me backache even on a 3-4 hours drive.

I am seriously considering the New City as a replacement. The only thing going against it is the CVT vs Torque Converter in Civic but I think it still the closest competitor. The other option I am thinking about is a Jimny. It would not be Civic’s replacement but I would buy it explore the hills and probably in 2-3 years look for Civic’s replacement.
nik0502 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 17:28   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

As an owner of 8th gen Civic who adores most aspects of this car, the only thing in a budget of ~13L which I can think of to replace the Civic, that too with some reservations, will be the 5th Gen Honda City.

I am not exactly updated on the latest 5th gen City prices, but I think your budget is just enough to pull a new one out from the showroom. You may wait for the new Verna which launches very soon, but if you relish the looks of the understated Civic (understated compared to the current crop of cars), then may be Verna could be too flashy for your taste. But given the presence of the latest 5th Gen City, which has again 'up the game' in this segment, it would be my no brainer pick in current market.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 16th March 2023 at 17:35.
saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 19:00   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Some choice from the Honda, Hyundai and VW/Skoda range should suit your needs.As you have reached a place with the most cars per sqkm (not more car per car) the Civic memories though pleasant need to be now changed with the time and place. Focus needs to be on something of a smaller dimension preferably the C or C plus segment for a less of hassle commute and parking.

And buying a used car could eat into its number of years with you (the magic figure of 15 needs to be ingrained) though economics do work in the buyers favour as far as the cost price is considered. It just like as you know, a healthy dog lives just 14-17 years. If you get a canine as your pet not as a puppy but late, when it is already three or four years old, it spends these number years lesser in your company.

If you plan to shift out of NCR later on and if you are eligible for the BH registration norms, do please try the new BH series. With the BH series you can move out with NOC too as per the extant rules. Any NCR registration will mean cancellation of registration post 15 yrs of use (petrol).

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 16th March 2023 at 19:01.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 19:12   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi Memphis,

I have been in the same situation for a long time now. I drive a 2010 VAT. The car has served me well and has also spoiled me to a great extent. I tried looking for a replacement multiple times but either couldn’t get what I was looking for in a car or the price didn’t make sense.

The only car that I feel is worth upgrading is Octavia. I love the car for it’s design as well as for the engine. However it has become too pricey over the years. If it was still retailing around 25-27 I would probably would have considered it most likely a pre owned example driven less than three years. And you are absolutely right about the reliability factor. Skoda Laura was my favourite car back in the day and I ended up getting a Civic just because of reliability factor. I was upgrading from a Ford Fiesta.

I too bought an Ecosport because it seemed like a right car when compared to Civic. It had everything right at least on paper. Almost similar power figures, 6 Speed TC, Paddle Shifters and what not but to be honest I am not very happy with the car primarily because of the seats. Civic’s seats are very comfortable on the other hand Ecosport starts giving me backache even on a 3-4 hours drive.

I am seriously considering the New City as a replacement. The only thing going against it is the CVT vs Torque Converter in Civic but I think it still the closest competitor. The other option I am thinking about is a Jimny. It would not be Civic’s replacement but I would buy it explore the hills and probably in 2-3 years look for Civic’s replacement.
I feel your pain buddy. Give the 10th Gen Civic a try if you can. It's a really well put together car & imho the only real "replacement" to the 8th Gen.
Old 17th March 2023, 00:14   #11
BHPian

I would look for used T-ROC as well. It's a nice package if you can find a used one

Othar than this, as a civic owner myself I can tell you nothing lower than an Octi will feel like an upgrade. Even the 10th gen civic would feel okay at best (remember both shared the R18 engine)

If nothing else, you'll need to move to used SUVs (can look for a compass for example)
Siddj38 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 09:14   #12
BHPian

For your height, I am really surprised that you are looking for a sedan. I would strongly suggest you to look for pre-facelift Jeep Compass Petrol AT. It doesn't win any awards for being a fastest or economical. However, it is built to last. It aged like a fine wine (design wise). You can still find a good used one which is within warranty (extended warranty). I agree the new facelift version has quality and rattles issue, but there are no such issues in the pre-facelift version. Never heard of any complaints on the AT, just that it is not as quick as a DSG or Hyundai DCT.

Also, from day 1 many members complained that Jeep will follow GM and Ford, but it has been 6 years now.

T-Roc is another contender if you can find within your budget.

For your usage EV doesn't make any sense. Best of luck.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 10:38   #13
BHPian

Quote:

Must haves:

- Facelifted '23 5th Gen City:
These three statements do not go together. I'm 5'11" and my head brushes against the headliner every now and then. Honda City has minimal headroom in the front or back for tall passengers. I have a City ZX with sunroof and haven't tested other versions so don't know if that's the culprit. The car is also not what I would call fun to drive in its CVT format, it would be the opposite of it.

I feel like you're better off buying the VW twins whether it's sedan or crossover, because you want 4 or 5 star ratings, driving dynamics and petrol AT. None of the cars except Koreans have well appointed interiors, but they aren't safe enough for you.

Others have mentioned about inflation and how it creeps up on us, especially on things you don't buy everyday.

Realistically speaking you're looking at a 20 lakh new car and that would be a downgrade compared to your old Civic.

Only 1 new car qualify with your filters, <13 lakhs, 4-5 star safety, Petrol AT and it's something I would actually recommend for your height and use case.

1) Renault Kiger

That said, used Nexon EV might not be a bad buy, or if you can find something like another Civic or Octavia in the used market. Good luck.
inwester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 11:37   #14
BHPian

Quote:

Started with an ideal budget of 7-8L, moved to 10L and now reluctantly open to bust open the piggy bank up till 12-13L.

Looking for a (preferably pre-owned) Sedan to replace our beloved 8th Gen Civic as I'm having to move to NCR where petrol cars face the axe at 15 years. This would be our second steed at home complementing our trusty 2012 Outlander.

Must haves:

- Petrol AT (not AMT)
- Utilization - 15-20 Km per day in NCR with occasional highway jaunts
- 4 or 5 star NCAP safety rating
- Telescopic steering
- Reasonably good reliability and generally hassle free ownership

In my 2 month journey so far I've considered/driven the following cars (Mandatory disclaimer: just my subjective views - no offense to anyone):

If you prefer sedans and need reliability and are open to used, then Camrys and Accords are obvious choices (upgrading from Civic), but there are so few of them out there.

Example after searching for a while: https://www.olx.in/item/toyota-camry...iid-1724141207

Since you have explored used SUVs (ok, C-SUVs), why not explore CRV
Few examples

https://www.olx.in/item/honda-cr-v-2...iid-1716267923

https://www.olx.in/item/honda-cr-v-2...iid-1717704034

These are only to give you an indication, but due diligence is required.
The prices on OLX are a little over your new budget, but I am sure there is room for negotiation.

CRVs and Camrys less than 4-5 years old are over ~25L
aayusht is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 11:39   #15
BHPian

Quote:

So, to conclude: Have I been living under a rock or has the quality vs price ratio of cars taken a massive hit in the last few years? Is this possibly the worst time in the modern era to buy a car? Do I just manage with Ola etc for the next 12-18 months hoping things will improve?
You are unfortunately correct in that cars have become ridiculously expensive over the last decade. Inflation has rocketed to stratospheric levels

Quote:
- VW Virtus 1.0 TSI: I know this is a forum favorite but coming from a Civic the car was a shocker to me. Cheap feeling interiors, rattles from every part of a TD car run 5k, major turbo lag, average HVAC performance, poor rear seat comfort, and lack of basic features like seatbelt height adjustment, rear disc brakes etc were a big let down. I also drove the Taigun 1.0 and 1.5 TSI and while they felt slightly better put together I really am not keen on a CSUV. Eliminated.
To quote a friend of mine upon hearing the on-road price of the Slavia top-end 1.5 DSG
"8 years ago, I got a fully loaded Skoda Superb for 21 lakh. Today, a car 2 segments below is costing me 18 lakh! What is happening to the world?"

But for a drivers car in today's market, the Virtus (or Slavia) are IMO the best replacements for an 8th-gen Civic.

Maybe you could consider the upcoming Verna 1.5 turbo-petrol. It won't have the driving dynamics of the German twins, nor your old Civic, but maintenance should be a less stressful affair.

A used Altis which you had considered is also a good choice. I own one, and while not as fun as a Civic, it is a car from the same segment. It's an international-spec vehicle (not made/compromised for India). It does give a solid planted feeling on the highway.
kadanaJ is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks